Battle Stadium no one ever suspects the butterfree

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
butterfree and friends 3.png

Battle Stadium players were jumping for joy when the news broke that Cinderace (and 15 other Pokemon) would be banned in the series 6 ruleset. Cries of "we can finally try other Pokemon" and "can't wait for a less-centralised metagame" we heard all over Discord. Players everywhere were clambering to find what was hot in the new meta, making anti-meta builds impossible for the first week or so of the format, an archetype I tend to gravitate towards. I was having a hard time trying to make my new meta ideas stick and eventually gave up trying to innovate in a chaotic metagame, and decided I would just use brainless, pro-active set up while the meta settled.

The same happened at the start of the generation, and my tendency to build around lesser used Pokemon meant that a lot of my early-gen teams were near or fully legal after the series 6 bans, so I looked through my builder for something that might work and came across good old sleep spam Butterfree stuff...

Teambuilding:

:whimsicott: :butterfree: :dracozolt: :quagsire::corsola-galar::charizard:

This is the six I had already built from the first month of gen 8. As I built it a while back I can't remember my exact process but I'll try to recap what the general thought process would have been.

:butterfree: + :whimsicott:

Switcheroo + Lagging Tail Whimsicott provides non-paralysis speed control for Butterfree to safely click Sleep Powder, and also remove troublesome items like Lum Berry. I like Whimsicott over Grimmsnarl as Memento and Leech Seed are amazing support for a sweeper.

:butterfree: :whimsicott: + :dracozolt: :quagsire:

While in theory Butterfree can sleep>sub>quiver anything slower than it and eventually come out on top; the Rotom formes - particularly Rotom-H, which was insanely popular for stopping Togekiss - were especially annoying. Their bulk, resistance to Flying, and Volt Switch to break the Substitute while getting in something that can beat Butterfree means the team needs hard stops to them. Dracozolt was actually a Volt Absorb +Lum Berry set back then to stop Volt Switch completely and use Rotom as a way to start the Max Knuckle + Max Airstream snowball. Quagsire was also decently anti-meta since the format was dominated by physical attackers.

:butterfree: :whimsicott: :dracozolt: :quagsire: + :charizard: :corsola-galar:

The reason I wanted to try Butterfree at all was because the same strategy with Vivillon during gens 6-7 was one of my favourite gimmicks, and the best versions of those teams always had Volcarona on them to deter things like Scizor, Mimikyu, Metagross, Aegislash, Tapu Koko, and Kartana. Now at the start of SwSh, Volcarona wasn't released, and only Mimikyu and Aegislash existed from the anti-Vivillon list, but I still wanted a good Fire-type and I really liked the look of Charizard early-gen as it took advantage of Dynamax super well with STAB Max Airstream for speed, and STAB Max Flare to set sun for Solar Power. At this point the team was looking awkwardly weak to certain Snorlax, Gyarados, Excadrill sand, and Galarian Darmanitan builds, and I wanted Stealth Rock to eliminate Focus Sashes for Zolt+Zard, so I slapped Corsola on at the end. The BSS crowd knows how obsessed I was with this mon back then....

:blobstop: :whimsicott:

:butterfree: :dracozolt: :quagsire: :charizard: :corsola-galar: + :grimmsnarl:

Whimsicott was banned from Series 6 Battle Stadium by being in the top 10 most used in doubles. Luckily enough Grimmsnarl does basically the same exact thing. I tested Trick Lagging Tail but people are familiar enough with that now, they'd see it coming and let something slow take the Trick, then beat Grimmsnarl with their fast Pokemon which stops Butterfree from getting a move off. The team didn't have a Focus Sash user yet so I changed to a faster spread with Scary Face instead. Getting fast Spirit Breaks onto a speed tier filled with Primarina and Sylveon has been amazing.

:blobstop: :quagsire:

:butterfree: :dracozolt: :charizard: :corsola-galar::grimmsnarl: + :urshifu:

Quagsire didn't get brought to a single series 6 match so I was shopping around for a replacement. Since the team auto-lost to Rock Blast Rhyperior when Corsola couldn't just sit in front of it, new-toy syndrome lead me down the path of Rapid Strike Urshifu. This also gives me three self-sufficient (albeit fighting over the Dynamax) offensive Pokemon and not feel forced to bring at least one passive mon when I want to bring both Zard + Zolt.

butterfree and friends.png

Movesets:

Butterfree | Leftovers | Compound Eyes
76 HP / 180 SpA / 252 Spe | Timid
Sleep Powder | Substitute | Quiver Dance | Hurricane

1. Is the foe asleep?
    • No: Use Sleep Powder
    • Yes: Proceed to step 2
  2. Do you have a Substitute up?
    • No: Use Substitute
    • Yes: Proceed to step 3
  3. Are you at +6 SpA, +6 SpD, and +6 Spe?
    • No: Use Quiver Dance
    • Yes: Proceed to step 4
  4. Use Hurricane

HP = 16n+1. Max speed to ensure fast Sleep Powders. I prefer the rest in SpA but I've seen people opt for the rest being in Def for Urshifu's Surging Strikes. I've tested Bug Buzz and Energy Ball as the solo attack option, but the speed boost option from Max Airsteam has been super clutch in grabbing kills against slower Pokemon you can't sleep/sub/quiver on and ensuring you're faster than what's coming in next. The confusion from Hurricane is also clutch. This could be Gigantamax but I was testing Bug Buzz and I didn't want it turned into Gmax Befuddle, which can inflict poison or paralysis, and you need to be able to sleep stuff. I never changed back because Butterfree hardly Dynamaxes anyway, and when I do I think giant regular Butterfree is funny to look at.

Gigantamax Grimmsnarl | Focus Sash | Prankster
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Adamant
Spirit Break | Sucker Punch | Scary Face | Taunt

This just leads 99% of the time and clicks Scary Face against fast things. Spirit Break is reliable damage while also weakening special attackers, enabling Butterfree to safely Quiver Dance against things like Primarina and Sylveon (if Spirit Break doesn't just 2-3HKO those. Taunt + Sucker Punch are obvious moves to round out the set with. I still haven't ruled out Trick + Lagging Tail and using the Sash on Zard or Urshifu (or something else entirely), but this has made leading so much easier and Grimmsnarl is a surprisingly effective panic option in the back with its coverage and Scary Face if I chose to lead something else or not bring Butterfree mode.

Dracozolt | Life Orb | Hustle
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe | Jolly
Bolt Beak | Dragon Claw | Aerial Ace | Flamethrower

When this was added to the team back in December it was another niche option on a silly team but with a specific role that it performed well. However in Series 6 it is arguably the most dominating threat running around. This deters Rotom for Butterfree, while baiting in and sacrificing itself to slower defensive threats that Butterfree can come in on and set up safely against. Outrage is an option for raw dragon power, but the Series 6 meta is currently infested with Fairy-types and getting locked into it is often GG. I sometimes miss having a fighting move for Max Knuckle snowballs, or Earthquake for SpD boosts, but having a fire move feels like necessary coverage. The insane power of this Pokemon has lead to a huge increase of Focus Sash/Sturdy + Counter users (thanks Libero Cinderace for starting this in Series 5), so Flamethrower is a great way to get the jump on them. As this used to be Volt Absorb + Lum Berry I originally had 4 EVs in HP, I should have retrained it in-game since it's now Life Orb but I didn't.

Corsola | Eviolite | Cursed Body
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD | Bold
Night Shade | Will-O-Wisp | Strength Sap | Stealth Rock

Corsola is either amazing or a liability, no in-between. Though as the SwSh 3v3 metagames have been incredibly physical-leaning, I've found Corsola to be amazing more often than not. Your opponent needs to bring a way to break through this Pokemon or it just sits there forever. This results in your opponent either telegraphing their switch to a Corsola check, or Dynamxing in panic, often leaving you with your Dynamax still available to reverse sweep them. I believe this team needs Stealth Rock support, but I've dropped it in testing for Mirror Coat, Amnesia, and Calm Mind with Hex over Night Shade. I've been told I lead with this more often than people expect it would, I just like getting rocks up and seeing what my opponent is trying to do turn 1.

Charizard | Heavy-Duty Boots | Solar Power
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | Timid
Flamethrower | Air Slash | Solar Beam | Dragon Pulse

Similarly to Dracozolt; this was another niche addition to a silly team months ago, but with the Series 6 rule changes Charizard has emerged as top pick. There aren't many good options for Fire-types, and Charizard's speed tier, STAB Max Airstream, Max Flare + Solar Power, and coverage options are amazing. It can also use just about any item, which makes it easy to slap on a team and not interfere with your plans to work around item-clause. I've gone with Heavy-Duty Boots because Dracozolt is using the Life Orb and taking 50% on the occasional rocks, in combination with Solar Power Chip, is not fun. Flamethrower and Air Slash are chosen for reliability, if this was Gmax Zard I'd be using Fire Blast/Blast Burn and Hurricane. Solar Beam is obvious coverage. Dragon Pulse is what really sets Charizard apart from Volcarona as it allows you to hit Dracozolt. I've tested Wacan Berry which in combination with Max Wyrmwind allows Zard to 1v1 Dynamax Dracozolt, but every time I do that I run into a bunch of rocks setters I can't stop with Taunt Grimmsnarl... It's worth noting that any non-boots Zard shouldn't run 4 HP EVs because they give 154 HP.

Rapid Strike Gigantamax Urshifu | Weakness Policy | Unseen Fist
252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Jolly
Surging Strikes | Close Combat | Aerial Ace | Thunder Punch

So this was originally a Rhyperior check and a reason to use the new toy, but unsurprisingly this is an absolute monster. There are a bunch of sets this can run effectively, and I should probably use a less Dynamax-reliant set, but I didn't have a Weakness Policy user yet and this is Battle Stadium. Acrobatics is a very relevant option for the Max Airstream, but again this is Battle Stadium and evasion can be boosted... If you opt for Trick + Lagging Tail Grimmsnarl I'd consider Focus Sash + Counter on this. Assault Vest could be viable as well. I sometimes wish I had Aqua Jet but the coverage + Max Airstream is too nice.

Screenshot_40.png

Threats:

:hatterene: :rhyperior:
Most Trick Room setters just get messed up by Grimmsnarl, but Magic Bounce stops that altogether. Usually you just try to wait the Trick Room turns out with Corsola and clean up with something in the back.

:ninetales-alola:
This makes for an incredibly awkward lead against Grimmsnarl. Taunting on a Moonblast/Blizzard means dying to hail at the end of the turn. Scary Face allows Butterfree to set up but the hail chip negates Leftovers which means you have a heavily reduced amount of turns if they play the hail right. It's also faster than the rest of the team and often run Hypnosis.

:reuniclus:
Overcoat + Calm Mind (+Acid Armor) sets get free set up vs Butterfree unless you somehow get boosts in before it comes out. Often these are supported by Nintetales-A and Trick Room setters like Runerigus/Cofagrigus.

:weavile: Can't be Taunted and can kill Grimmsnarl with Triple Axel on Life Orb / Banded sets, or Fake Out + Triple Axel on Focus Sash sets. Usually this is Urshifu fodder but Focus Sash + Counter sets are very bad for that so sometimes that means Surging Strikes and no Max Knuckle/Airstream.

:dracozolt: Yes, I am featuring a team that is weak to the best Pokemon in the format. Approaching this Pokemon depends on what is on the rest of the opponent's team and what item you suspect Zolt could be. Sashed Grimmsnarl can trade, broken sash still gets a Scary Face off and usually results in one of your fast guys revenging. Butterfree can navigate a win but the flowchart is dependant on what item Zolt is and how they get it in vs Butterfree. Sometimes your out is Hustle favouring you.

:blissey: + Stall
Calm Mind sets 1v1 Butterfree unless you get a crit with one of your 16 Hurricanes. Zolt and Urshifu scare it out but stall teams have those covered, otherwise they're bad stall teams. Sometimes you need Corsola just for rocks and make some great doubles to get the chip necessary.

Hax is a threat to every team, but strategies that involve sitting on the field for many turns each game like with Butterfree increase the amount of chances for epic luck to screw you over. People are going to get repeated one-turn wake-ups and force Butterfree's health down with Substitute spam, then you'll be too low to Sub again before their Ferrothorn comes out, and it will dodge Hurricane and kill with Gyro Ball. You will miss a Sleep Powder against a Primarina or Sylveon and they'll crit with Sparkling Aria or Hyper Voice through your Substitute. You will run into the one Choice Scarf Noivern with Boomburst and it will also crit you. You will run into Neutralising Gas Weezing-G and miss all your non-Compound Eyes moves. Unaware Clefable will come out and dodge Hurricane while setting up Calm Minds. Seeing a pattern here? Just don't do what I do when this happens and sulk about it all day!

Anyway I think that's it! I haven't written a RMT this gen and I always wanted to for the Vivillon team I used last gen, but didn't as it wasn't a team I built. This team is far from perfect, or even refined (as you can probable tell by the teambuilding process) but it is fun and I think a viable bring if you want to hit up some BSS before the next DLC drops and series 7/8 happen. Shoutouts to Breckinridge for joking about flooding the tours scene with this, greilmercenary9 for the meta/teambuilding/general discussions we have every day, and marilli for suggesting Scary Face on Grimmsnarl in the first place. And of course everyone that came out to watch me stream with this team, it's not very exciting to watch Sleep > Sub > Quiver for 10 minutes every match so I appreciate that! More memes to come
:swole:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)