Nominating mienfoo for D rank

Introduction
levi is cool btw
Nominating mienfoo for D rank
Mienfoo can't really be compared to any other Pokemon in the tier because nothing else available has access to a combination of Regenerator and U-Turn. Slow U-Turns are incredibly useful, not only for generally maintaining momentum, but to get powerful but frail Pokemon such as Swellow and Sharpedo in safely, putting even more pressure on the opponent. This meshes brilliantly with Regenerator, because Mienfoo's constant switching will be able to make plenty of use from the ability and allow Mienfoo to continue U-Turning throughout the match. On top of this, Mienfoo packs a solid disruptive movepool, containing options such as Knock Off, Taunt, and Fake Out. Although Mienfoo isn't extremely bulky, Eviolite allows it to avoid the OHKO from most unboosted neutral attacks with some investment. Mienfoo's offensive presence can be somewhat lacking occasionally, even with a powerful STAB move in High Jump Kick, but access to Taunt and its pivoting nature mean this tends not to be too large of an issue. Mienfoo also gets Baton Pass and a multitude of boosting moves, although I'm not sure how much of a niche it has over other Baton Passers, even with Regenerator, due to its average bulk and inability to abuse these boosting moves itself.
The main thing holding Mienfoo back is that its BST is lower than Dugtrio's

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ru-viability-ranking.3506500/page-17#post-5517064

What used to be Sharpedo at the time, is now a Carvanha but don't let it fool you. It is just as good and is the receiver from the don Mienfoo himself.

Decided to use a nice hard hitter and hazard remover for the 2 because they are kinda in need for them.

A solid physical defensive core is what I decided to bring here. Quagsire also helps with set up sweepers (used to be for Durant), while Diancie gets up rocks.

Topped it off with a special sponge and Fairy check because the first three are weak to Fairies.

Changed quag to gastro (aldo's edit) for water type switch in, as well as quag mainly being there only for durant but thats banned now.

In Depth

Mienfoo @ Eviolite | Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe | Jollu
Swords Dance / Baton Pass / Knock Off / Substitute

Mienfoo was part of the main core that I choose to build around. While Sharpedo was around, Baton Passing stats into it was really stupid, and instead of using the standard Togetic Nasty Plot BP, I wanted to take a different approach to it. Mienfoo seemed really cool as a "meme" mon to use, so I decided to build around with it. Knock Off over Drain Punch here just to be able to hit all mons, however, Drain Punch is nice against some mons, but Mienfoo won't really be attacking often. The rest of the moves are pretty straightforward.

Mienfoo can be used as a pivot and SD passer, especially from things like Alomomola, which is really weak and allows mostly easy set up (burn sucks). BP + Regen gives it decent life throughout a match as well, which is useful.

Carvanha @ Life Orb | Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Adamant
Waterfall / Crunch / Zen Headbutt / Protect

What used to be Sharpedo, Carvhana is just as good (not really but you get the point D:) at receiving BP from Mienfoo. Since Speed Boost is a pretty op ability in itself, and Mienfoo + Carvanha have decent synergy type-wise, it is not __that__ bad. Set is physical, as oppose to the Togetic receiving set Sharpedo used to run. Protect is there to ensure a speed boost.

The best time to receive BP from Mienfoo is hopefully when the opposing mon is faster than mienfoo. That way, it can slow BP into this monster safely. Threats need to be taken down and weakened before this can sweep.

Flygon @ Life Orb | Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Defog / Roost / Draco Meteor / Earth Power
Flygon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpD / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost

Flygon is always a nice mon in this metagame. It's fast, has defog, and hits decently with good typing. I opted for a fast set to out speed the 90-99 speed tier (including stuff like sigi, doom, etc), and 2 stab attacks which hit hard. Roost allows Flygon to live throughout the game, getting rid of hazards where needed. A bulkier spread with speed could be used, but I'm not the biggest fan of that spread at all.

Flygon is used for offensive pressure & being an offensive hazard remover as well. Nothing really much about flygon is unique; rather, it is one of the most easiest mons to use in the tier.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers | Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD | Relaxed
Curse / Recover / Earthquake / Scald

(thanks aldo for this) What used to be quag, Gastrodon is a physdef wall with curse and scald to pester opposing teams. The likes of mega lix, aroma, etc, are all handled by this, as well as being a decent water switch in (such as blastoise). It's not that gastrodon is mainly a set up sweeper; it is a bulky pokemon which i use to burn things just like any other water type as well.

Gastrodon should be used when there is a threat of scald, of if the opponent is a weak type that cannot 2hko you. Scald is used for burning things to cripple the opposing team for carvhana, and curse eq allows another way to pressure teams.

Diancie @ Leftovers | Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD | Gentle
Gentle Nature
Stealth Rock / Diamond Storm / Moonblast / Heal Bell

Diancie is a really solid rocker in this meta, soft checking many mons in the tier, being a cleric, and decent moves which do decent damage. I choose Diancie over Rhyperior and other rockers because of the cleric ability, as well as the Fairy typing, to assist easier with dark types that roam the tier. Its stats are also insane, eating up most spdef moves that are 2x effective, which is really nice in tight situations.

Diancie can be easily switched into birds, such as linda, and set up rocks / start attacking. If many of the team is inflicted with status, Heal Bell is an option as well, but has low pp against stall.

Escavalier @ Assault Vest (or leftovers) | Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD | Adamant
Megahorn / Iron Head / Knock Off / Pursuit

Escavalier is the glue of the team, checking Fairies that trouble the main core of the team. Also is helpful to soft check venu, as with av, hp fire can be tanked, and can be retaliated with Megahorn. Escavalier also helps with Amoonguss, with the immunity to Spore, and the threat of Megahorn. Knock Off cripples other mons, and Pursuit helps trap psychic types (meloetta, hoopa).

Escav is a soft check to all the aforementioned mons, and should be sent into the field if these mons are present (except venu, requires a prediction).

Threats
Fighting types are a huge problem for this team, Diancie is not a counter. It's a team with Mienfoo and Carvanha, it has many more problems but usually are dealt with.

Quality Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-329346557 - me vs feli, sadly this was when sharpedo was legal D:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-344694723 - me vs arifeen, post ban, pre durant ban, arifeen got donked on lol...
sadly i dont save much replays, i outmemed other users as well though so. also did pretty well on the ladder bc bp is stupid.

Final Words
This is a fun team to use, not really competitive but its the fun that counts at the end.
Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Substitute

Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect

Flygon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Recover

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Gentle Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

s/o
Kableye who is a great user
aoemica who i will miss :(
xastify who i miss D:
Lyto who is the best worst mod out there
MrAldo who helpes me out alot and is the best ru user imo, keep putting in work fam
OP, mad0ka ,and Corporal Levi who all suck but are my favorite lc ers anyway
and all of my true friends

ty!

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It is actually really funny how this works. Since this type of teams are kind of difficult to rate without killing the whole purpose and because of the "funny" nature behind I wont aim to change much but too recommend an option.

Curse Gastrodon over Curse Quagsire. Most straightforward change I could recommend since your team right now lacks a lot on the water switch-in department and a vulnerability to scald is pretty notorious. Curse gastrodon would give you a similar win condition while having a great scald immunity and better overall bulk.

A faster Mienfoo is a change you could consider since it has the ability to setup a substitute against the likes of blastoise with the added speed given the opportunity, which can be nice to baton pass SDs to your recipients more safely.

Love when people post something as fun as this, better when it actually works! Good luck on future endeavors.
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Recover

Can live a mega glalie freeze-dry from full if needed, used emboar as setup bait, diancie, etc. Plus respectable damage with scald.

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Substitute

Outspeeds 0 speed blastoise, can guarantee against it 88% of the time, only the highest of rolls will break the sub

It is actually really funny how this works. Since this type of teams are kind of difficult to rate without killing the whole purpose and because of the "funny" nature behind I wont aim to change much but too recommend an option.

Curse Gastrodon over Curse Quagsire. Most straightforward change I could recommend since your team right now lacks a lot on the water switch-in department and a vulnerability to scald is pretty notorious. Curse gastrodon would give you a similar win condition while having a great scald immunity and better overall bulk.

A faster Mienfoo is a change you could consider since it has the ability to setup a substitute against the likes of blastoise with the added speed given the opportunity, which can be nice to baton pass SDs to your recipients more safely.

Love when people post something as fun as this, better when it actually works! Good luck on future endeavors.
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Recover

Can live a mega glalie freeze-dry from full if needed, used emboar as setup bait, diancie, etc. Plus respectable damage with scald.

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Substitute

Outspeeds 0 speed blastoise, can guarantee against it 88% of the time, only the highest of rolls will break the sub
ty for the rate! you were right, my scald counter was literally heal bell diancie for a 2nd shot, ahahah
also added import

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)