Non-Politoed Rain Dance Team

Don't tell me I should get rid of kingdra and put a politoed drizzle instead. I prefer swift swim kingdra, and I want to show people that you do NOT need politoed for a good rain team. Other than that, any criticism is appreciated.

Azelf @ Damp Rock (Lead)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid [+Spe, -Atk]
-U-turn
-Stealth Rock
-Psychic
-Rain Dance
Azelf is my lead because it's good for setting up rain and rocks. Also, I have Psychic on it to give a bit more coverage and it's STAB . U turn is to scout and get a good switch. Also, I have damp rock so the rain lasts longer. It has the extra speed to hopefully outspeed a lot of other leads.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Nature: Modest [+SpA, -Atk]
-Thunder
-Hydro Pump
-Rain Dance
-Will-O-Wisp
Rotom is always great for a rain team, since he has hydro pump and thunder which completely destroy. He also has will-o-wisp to weaken physical attackers, along with rain dance for another person to set up rain. He is very powerful, but I want to keep him alive longer, so I put on leftovers instead of choice specs. I like kingdra with specs anyway.

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP
-Surf
-Hydro Pump
-Dragon Pulse
-Draco Meteor
This comes almost straight from the smogon database with a few changes in the EVs. The idea is to come in on a predicted low damage move like a fire move or water move, then tear the opponent to shreds. Hydro Pump and Draco Meteor are better for early game playing since they can OHKO most pokes, and surf and dragon pulse are better for later game since they have 100 accuracy. It depends on what switches in to decide which to use too.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Nature: Adamant [+Atk, -SpA]
-Swords Dance
-Waterfall
-Aqua Jet
-Stone Edge

This poke is the physical attacking swift swimmer. Waterfall is STAB, Stone Edge is STAB, Aqua Jet is STAB and priority, and swords dance is for extra power. This poke can sweep hard.

Thundurus @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP

-Nasty Plot
-Thunder
-HP [Ice]
-Rain Dance

I decided to change latias to thundurus because of thunder and it's massive power. Nasty plot will make this poke dominate if it's set up. HP Ice is in case I need it. I have rain dance on it so there is another rain dance supporter. Damp Rock is on here because I don't feel he needs his power boosted or his health restored, and rain will last longer.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Nature: Adamant [+Atk, -SpA]
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-U-turn
-Roost

Scizor is a great supporter to put on a rain team, which is why I want to keep him alive with roost. Superpower is very powerful, bullet punch is STAB and priority. U-turn is in case I need to switch and or scout, and it's good against reuniclis. Leftovers is to also keep it alive longer hopefully.

You may notice that there are few defenses or walls on this team. That's because I want this to be a very offensive, relentless team that doesn't slow down, doesn't let up, and doesn't forgive. It's great to take advantage of the extra speed thanks to the swift swim pokes. Also, I'm looking forward to using this team, as it would be something very different from a drizzle team. I'm tired of drizzle teams, if you can't tell. And thanks to all the people who helped me with this team and all of the people who will give possible suggestions in the future, though I think the team looks pretty good now. There were a lot of changes, as I only kept 3 pokes from the original team. Well, thanks for reading!

On azelf, you might want to replace hp fighting with flamethrower/ fire blast, it hits ferro harder even in the rain.
For rotom, switch shadow ball with will o wisp because a super effective shadow ball only reaches 160 power while thunder is 180 and in rain h pump is 270
On gliscor, ice fang is better than rock slide because it his other gliscors and landorus a lot harder

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Cool team, I have some suggestions that might help.

First off I recommend using Thundurus over Azelf. Priority Rain Dance is great for these kinds of teams and he provides some potent offence. A moveset of | Rain Dance | HP ice | Focus Blast | Thunder | Timid nature with max SAtk and Spd should be fine.

Your a bit Blissey weak so I recommend using RD Mixdra over your current set. This set will net you much more surprise KOs and it's great at wall breaking.

Kindra @ Damp Rock/Life Orb
Trait Swift Swim
evs: 92 Atk / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Mild nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Draco Meteor

I also recommend Ludicollo over Toxicroak. Croak is a cool Pokemon, but his ability calls for perma rain. Swift Swim teams should be offense offense offense.

Ludicollo @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid nature
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump/Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

And now some nitpicks. You could try U-Turn over Rockslide on Gliscor. This let's you free up one of you rain sweepers after Gliscor gets rain up. You should be using Will-O-Wisp or Specs Trick on Rotom. Wow shuts down physical attackers and Specs Trick helps with Blissey and other special wall, who gives you team trouble.

gl!

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey man, quite an interesting team you're trying to run here. I do see a few problems that if addressed, could make this team more solid. Reuniclus (specifically Trick Room variants) are gonna give your team a lot of trouble if it gets going. Substitute Gengar can also pose problems to everything on your team. Without permanent rain, Toxicroak won't be seeing the reliable recovery it normally would, and since you're using it mainly for your answer to Blissey; I'd like to suggest Scizor as an alternative over Toxicroak. Scizor not only will handle Blissey and help handle Ferrothorn as you were using Toxicroak for, this will add a valuable Steel-type Pokemon that your team does NOT have, while also giving you a more reliable Reuniclus and Gengar check.

Scizor@Life Orb / Leftovers
Nature@Adamant
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Speed
Ability@Technician
-Roost
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite / U-turn
-Superpower

I listed a few preference options that you can make on your own. Good luck!

While it may seem kinda odd, switch Black Sludge for Leftovers on Toxicroak. The only time it matters at all is against opposing Trick users, and against them Leftovers is preferred (since they can just trick the Sludge onto one of your other Pokemon later, leaving you in a worse position).

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While I agree you definitely should use Thundurus, I think you can replace Latias with it. First of all, Azelf gives you the crucial Stealth Rocks, an aid to any offensive team. It also has higher Special Damage output than Latias in the rain, abusing Thunder magnificently.

Thundurus | 252 SpA | 252 Spe | 4 SDef | Timid | Damp Rock | Rain Dance | Nasty Plot / HP Ice | Thunder | Focus Blast / HP Ice

I also agree with replacing Toxicroak, and another physical Pokemon like Scizor is a good option. I personally would run Swords Dance over Roost (zeph's set) because of the increase in damage output (I like running things down and not healing up, so this may not suit your playstyle). "You don't have enough turns to set up blah blah blah" 8 turns of Rain Dance is plenty. It's Trick Room where you really can't afford to set up.

U-turn over Rock Slide is a good option on Gliscor. Alternatively, you can use U-turn over Rain Dance (as Thunderus would give you 4 total), using it on the last turn of rain to get it set back up immediately.
GL!

Cool team, but you really need another rain dance supporter. I like Thundurus or Blastoise, depends if you want another sweeper or staller.

MixTar gives you hell right now. Latias can't hurt it straight away and can get Pursuit trapped, Azelf can't OHKO I'm pretty sure and Crunch/Pursuit will finish him. Gliscor gets killed instantly from an Ice Beam. This could mean that you're left with only one Rain inducer and that is the frail Kingdra. To make matter worse you aren't even running recovery moves or Rapid Spin support. LO + entry hazards = dead before you know it, leaving you with really nothing to do. Toxicroak, Kingdra and Rotom-W to an extent all rely on Rain. And if TTar kills 2/3 of your team then its pretty much GG.

I recommend running a Specially defensive RD Scizor. Scizor is the ultimate counter to Tyranitar, forcing him out as well as setting up rain. THe set could be anything really.. But I highly recommend using Rain Dance/Roost/Bullet Punch/U-Turn. This gives him a well rounded role, taking hits, setting up Rain, hurting TTar and finishing off Pokemon. He also patches up your major TR Reuniclus weakness. I would recommend him over Gliscor.

Scizor @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Technician
Nature: Adamant - EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Rain Dance
Roost
Bullet Punch
U-Turn

As for your Toxicroak, it isn't going to work on your team. I would like to recommend a SD LO Kabutops. Getting in quickly and hurting stuff is what you want to achieve. Kabutops does that from the bat, often not requiring set up. If you want Toxicroak then switch to Politoed. Just don't say that he will work without perma rain, because he won't to his greatest capabilities.

Kabutops @ Life Orb Lv. 100 -- Swift Swim
Nature: Adamant - EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Swords Dance
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Aqua Jet

With the welcome addition of Kabutops you should look at investing is Specs Kingdra. With Kabutops setting up, Kingdra can just switch in and blast holes with his two STAB's (One which has very few resistors and the other which receives a double boost under Rain.)

Kingdra @ Choice Specs Lv. 100 -- Swift Swim
Nature: Modest - EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hydro Pump
Surf
Dragon Pulse
Draco Meteor

With Kingdra I dnt think that bulky waters are that much of a problem anymore, so I suggest looking at U-Turn fro Azelf. Maybe even consider his bulkier twin Uxie?

GL

Toxicroak could be better with endless rain for healing. Probably should replace it with Ludicolo or another Swift swimmer (Life orb or banded armaldo is a beast). Also your fast team is weak to a trick room team. May need to slow it down some. Your team has 3 weaknesses to dark even though you have pokes you could switch too. Overall good team without Politoed.

Thundurus's ability isn't levitate. He's electric/flying. His ability is prankster which gives priority to all moves that doesn't direct attack the opponent. Therfore rain dance/ nasty plot always goes first unless prioritized by a faster opponent(which is unlikely given his speed). Great addition to your current team btw. Good team.

Sorry, I forgot to change it. I had levitate on there because I had another poke there. When I was putting things in, I just forgot to change it to prankster. My bad lol. And thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)