Not totally mainstream, Mostly Offensive, Nonweather, Ou Team

Porygronarakkijoltespeonite! (Not the real name)

Hello Smogon, this is not just the first RMT I give you, but my very first thread! So, I'll probably screw up :X. But anyways the team has no name really, I just call it Main OU because it's my main ou team. I can't give a simple team building process I can go through because it is my first team, which I have kept on molding and replacing pokemon in since the start of it late 2010. The team does a pretty nice job complimenting each other. It has some weaknesses though. If espeon dies, stealth rock is huge risk. It is also weak to Hippowdon, who, although rare, is able to stealth rock and cripple large parts of my team :pirate:. So here's the details:

Jolteon @ Expert Belt
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Sunny Day

Jolteon is the usual lead for the team as a scout, unless if the opponent's starter is obvious like a weather starter. Thunderbolt is the primary stab move, Ohkoing attacking Politoed sets or 2hkoing bulky sets. The expert belt is used because I used to use a magnet, but this would allow garchomp to take a hit from hidden power ice. Sunny Day replaced shadow ball as an unexpected weather upsetter when I realized how little I used the move (in many situations, thunderbolt or hp ice were also viable to ko)

Espeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Stealth rock is a pretty large hinderance to my team, taking half of Volcarona's hp and getting rid of the usefulness of Dragonite's multiscale on a switch in. The idea of espeon, to me, is to stop the hazards from coming, send them back to the other team, proceed to boost up and sweep. The physically defensive ev's + nature are essential for espeon with a mere 60 defense and 65 hp. Looking at espeon's base stats, you would never think to do a defensive set, so people will often try to take out espeon with gyro ball or seismic toss, allowing chance for espeon to boost. This set is a great check to many setter uppers like ferrothorn, forretress, skarmory, etc, who cannot kill espeon. Many neutral attacking special type pokemon can be boosted off of with calm mind and morning sun. Psyshock allows Espeon to boost and then surprise a chansey/blissey. Hp fire gives good type coverage alongside psyshock, allowing steel types to be taken out, and KOing the common scizor switch in. After a couple of boosts, neutral damage can proceed to sweep. Since Morning Sun is hindered in rain/sand/hail, keeping jolteon alive is somewhat needed for espeon to sweep.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Psychic

Here's Volcarona. With one quiver dance, volcarona is usually set to sweep entire teams :D. Fiery dance, bug buzz, and psychic give great coverage together, allowing for at least neutral damage to all pokemon except for heatran (correct me if I'm wrong). Fiery dance will continue to give Volcarona a 50% chance to boost spa while still sweeping. Psychic is usually unexpected, and lets Volcarona surprise foes like terrakion or tentacruel with a hard, cold Ohko. I prefer timid nature to outspeed adamant terrakion and other volcaronas.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 44 Atk / 252 HP / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Outrage
- Fire Punch

Bulky Dragonite plays an interesting role on the team. Its main role is usually to use multiscale to its advantage and boost with dragon dance. However, in desperate times it can be used to wall water users. If jolteon is taken out by an unexpected scarf user using a ground move, dragonite can take the opportunity to boost. :naughty:

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge

Terrakion was originally a dugtrio on my team, but after its lowering to uu, and after examining dugtrio's role on my team, which relied heavily on focus sash, I decided it would be better to switch to Terrakion. This is a typical Terrakion set except for earthquake, which is super effective against croagunk (who will refuse to sucker punch because of justified). It is also an alternative to lowering stats with close combat when vs many steel or rock types like heatran. Close Combat is better than Dugtrio's reversal in taking out Tyranitar, and Terrakion's stone edge is way more powerufl than dugtrio's.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Recover

And then Porygon2. This cute little ducky will surprise the hell out anyone that has not faced one before. A +1 Outraging Dragonite hits a laughable 17% against porygon. That's because of traced multiscale, but even without its effects it still only does 32.35-38.5% against it. Porygon is not just effective, but fun and comical to use because it is just a great switch and check to potentially dangerous pokemon. Its bulk comes from eviolite, which brings its def up to 432 and 366 spdef. Having trouble because a sunny day, flashfire boosted Heatran is threatening to sweep your team? Oh right, you forgot, you have porygon! (gets flash fire.) Choice spec Jellicent? You get water absorb. Trace is another thing I use to my advantage. Modest Keldeo-R has only a 24.6% chance to 2HKO it with secret sword dealing 44.91 - 52.94% damage :pimp:. Most sets suggest the basic boltbeam combo, however discharge gives porygon a good chance to cripple speedy pokemon (Especially when it gets natural grace), and discharge gives it something to do to foes like heatran, who are immune to toxic.​

Import/Export:
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 44 Atk / 252 HP / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Outrage
- Fire Punch

Espeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Terrakion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Psychic

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Recover

Jolteon @ Expert Belt
Trait: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Sunny Day

What is Toxic for on Porygon2? It doesn't seem to provide your team much utility or help with many match ups. Magic Coat could be used instead. Bouncing back Spores, Toxics, Stealth Rocks, etc without having to switch to Espeon is useful. Plus Pory2 is really weak to status.
Why replace Dugtrio with Terrakion when your whole team short of Pory2 extremely appreciates the removal of Heatran? That's just a question, Terrakion seems do an all right job in the slot.
I also suggest replacing Dragonite with the standard lum DDnite. I don't see how you plan on walling Scald users with it that could burn you or have Ice Beam coverage. The extra bulk you are carrying now doesn't help you sweep, it just gives you more chances to get statused and you have no cleric.

However, my suggested changes to Pory2 and Dnite might not be necessary if you replace Calm Mind on Espeon with Heal Bell. Whichever route you choose will work.

You should really put Giga Drain on Volcanora over Psychic, being able to recover while sweeping is helpful for killing blobs.

You also might want to replace Espeon with Starmie. Starmie and Espeon both get rid of hazards, but Starmie can Spin them after they've been set up, while Espeon can only deflect them as they are set. Starmie also answers Heatran, Ninetails, Poilitoad, and can hurt Tornadus if you hit it on the switch.

Starmie set:
Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

Change Jolteon's nature to timid. The boost in bower is not enough to justify being out-sped by Tornadus-T, dugtrio and starmie.

@youngjake- Thanks for the rate! While magic coat would be interesting to see on porygon, it really needs toxic to do damage. But I think I'll try a standard dragonite.

@rognarr- I've tried giga drain and I've found that it doesn't work well for my team, maybe because the added psychic coverage helps my team take out fighting types, who otherwise I'm pretty weak against. But starmie replacing espeon is an interesting choice that I never really thought of. It can't bounce statuses, but it has natural cure so it's still an option to switch into statuses. I'll try it :).

@pokegod- thanks for the rate! Probably a good idea... it's always annoying when tornadus-t outspeeds jolty. And when starmie does too.. Would help me take out rain teams a little better I bet.
-Should I try life orb with jolt or stick with expert belt?

Hello and nice team.
You are a brave soul for having 2 eeveelutions on the same team lol. Your team takes care of many of the threats I thought of. I second the Starmie idea though. If someone gets Rocks off because Espeon is out, your two sweepers Dragonite/Volcarona are completely screwed. Volcarona especially hates them. I would use this set for Starmie though.
Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
BoltBeam is essential on Starmie imo. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Erico9001

Interesting team you have here, I really like your use of some underrated Pokemon like Espeon and Porygon2. Now looking at your team, a major threat to is Tornadus-T. Tornadus-T outspeeds your entire team and can hit it very hard with its STAB Hurricane. Other threats to your team are boosting sweepers such as Dragon Dance Haxorus and Dragon Dance Salamence. Haxorus and Salamence can also outspeed your entire team and hit very hard with STAB Outrage as you have no Steel types to resist it. Porygon2 can check them to a degree but he is easily worn down with entry hazards and residual damage from weather or status. Keldeo can also do a number to your team as nothing enjoys taking Hydro Pumps except for Dragonite who is dispatched of with Hidden Power Ice. What your team lacks is a reliable revenge killer who has the Speed to come in and revenge kill these threats. For these threats, I recommend replacing your current Life Orb Terrakion with a Choice Scarf Terrakion with a moveset of Close Combat / Stone Edge / Earthquake / Rock Slide. Choice Scarf Terrakion is one of the fastest Pokemon in OU and can outspeed and revenge kill the aforementioned threats, forcing a speedtie with Scarf Keldeo. Although he does not hit quite as hard without a Life Orb, he still maintains a great offensive presence with base 129 Attack and powerful STABs. Rock Slide is used over X-Scissor for a Rock-type move to use when you don't really need the extra power of Stone Edge but can't afford to miss, such as against a +1 Volcarona. X-Scissor is primarily for Celebi, but you already have Volcarona and Dragonite to easily check Celebi so the move is not required.

Now for some smaller changes. On Jolteon, I recommend changing his nature from Modest to Timid. Timid nature allows you outspeed a number of threats that a Modest nature does not allow, including Tornadus-T, Alakazam, and Starmie. Last on Volcarona, I recommend using Hidden Power Ground over Psychic. Right now, you are using Psychic mainly to hit Terrakion and Tentacruel and HP Ground allows you to still hit them while also being able to wreck Heatran. Many teams use Heatran as their primary Volcarona check and do not expect HP Ground so if you use HP Ground to surprise Heatran and eliminate it, there usually won't be much else to stop you from pulling off a sweep.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Set:
Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

tl;dr
Life Orb Terrakion ----> Choice Scarf
X-Scissor on Terrakion ----> Rock Slide
Modest Nature Jolteon ----> Timid Nature
Psychic on Volcarona ----> Hidden Power Ground

Hey guys, thanks again for the rates. While I've been busy with tests/homework/exams the past few days, I did fit a little bit of time in to test some of the suggested. I really prefer Jolteon with timid instead of modest nature, so that's going to stay. I tried rapid spinning with starmie rather than bouncing with espeon. Starmie did work on the team well, but I still have to stick with espeon! When trying out lum Dragonite, I often found myself searching frantically for the roost button lol, it's just kind of needed for the type of role he takes.

Pokemasta77 - Thanks for the rate! I do prefer espeon to starmie though.

Novaray - Thanks for the rating my team. Scarf Terrakion is pretty tempting, so I'll test that out when I'm on next. You're right about T-T/Haxorus, + Other terrakions can be a bother (esp on sand teams), so choice could also help take care of that as well. HP Ground may also be a good idea. Although, I'm not a fan of the loss of coverage over many flying types like salamance/dragonite/gyarados and some fighting types I didn't mention like Conkeldurr, it may be worth a shot anyways. Thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)