ORAS OU Nothing Stopping Me (2K RMT)

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

s/o Rumor for the song and title

Hi. I'm making this RMT because this corresponds with my 2,000th post here on Smogon, and milestone RMTs are the cool thing to do and I'm a huge dweeb. It's been a while since I last posted an RMT, but I figured that I would post a favorite of mine which features my current favorite mon to use in OU, Nidoking. Aside from being cool aesthetically, Nidoking is actually quite effective from what I've found due to its ability to break common defensive cores, which is invaluable with the plethora of balance teams running around. Since I hate fat teams with a passion, I decided to build around Nidoking.

Teambuilding Process:

I started off with Nidoking, for reasons already stated.

I paired Nidoking up with Klefki because Klefki provides Spikes support while also handling mons that are problematic for Nidoking such as Weavile and Latios. Prankster Thunder Wave can also be really clutch if played right.

Hippowdon was added because Stealth Rock was needed and I also wanted something to stop electric types in their tracks. Hippowdon also pairs well with Klefki due to it being able to handle mons like Zard X, Bisharp, and Ground-types such as Excadrill and Landorus-T.

I was looking really weak to Keldeo at this point, so I added Tornadus-T to check it while also giving me some speed. It pairs really well with Nidoking because it is able to U-Turn into favorable matchups for Nidoking and bring it in safely.

I was lacking a Mega, and I wanted a Mega that could shit on offense, which I was looking kinda weak to at this point. It was a choice between Lopunny and Manectric, but I chose Manectric because it forms a potent VoltTurn core with Torn, and Mega Manectric + Spikes takes lives.

Lastly, I added Calm Mind Latios to improve my matchup vs fatter teams, and it ensures that Keldeo won't maul me over. There is also nothing better than saying a big fuck you to Clefable on the switch, either.

The Team:

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Nidoking was the mon that I chose to build around due to how underprepared for it is in the current metagame. While it is by no means the greatest mon to use, it is most certainly one of the most fun. The set is really standard; a Timid nature and maximum Special Attack and Speed investment is used to make Nidoking as strong and fast as possible. Sludge Wave and Earth Power are the mandatory STAB moves that hit a decent portion of the metagame for neutral or super effective damage. Flamethrower is used to break through the Steel-types that don't care about Earth Power, such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor. I used Flamethrower over Fire Blast because Fire Blast doesn't net and significant KOes that Flamethrower doesn't, and Flamethrower has perfect accuracy. Ice Beam is especially important for hitting Gliscor, Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon super effectively. Nidoking's role on the team is to break holes in opposing defensive cores for a teammate to clean up, whether that be Latios, Manectric, or Torn-T. Nidoking is also my Clefable switch in, as it resists Moonblast, is immune to Yellow Magic, and is still capable of defeating a +1 Clefable. Against offense, it is usually what I use as death fodder unless I am able to get it in through a double switch or something, which doesn't happen very often.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise

Klefki was chosen because it is one of the best Spikers in the game. Its typing enables it to check prominent threats in the metagame, including mons such as Lati@s, Weavile, (Mega) Alakazam, and Mega Gardevoir. I chose a specially defensive EV spread because Klefki's typing is good enough that it appreciates the special defense more than the defense, at least in my opinion. Mainly because of Hoopa tho. Fuk that thing. The moveset is pretty straightforward as well. Spikes weaken opposing Pokemon and when combined with Nidoking's wallbreaking prowess and Hippowdon's phasing capabilities, it's quite easy to wear down opposing teams really fast. Thunder Wave is really clutch, as it acts as an emergency stop to threatening setup sweepers and fast mons such as Weavile, DD Zard X, DD Mega Altaria, DD Mega Gyarados, Tornadus-T, and (Mega) Alakazam. Magnet Rise takes the last slot because it makes Klefki's job of setting up Spikes much easier, as it can avoid super effective Earthquakes from the likes of Hippowdon, Garchomp, and Landorus-T.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Roar

Hippowdon is an incredibly popular Pokemon in the current metagame, and it's not hard to see why. It's an incredibly potent physical wall, and it provides a hard stop to all the Electric-types that run around such as Mega Manectric, Raikou, and Thundurus. Hippowdon is also a very good user of Stealth Rock, and I chose Hippowdon on this team due to these traits. More specifically, Hippowdon forms a hazard stacking core with Klefki, and it is able to handle things that Klefki can't, such as Bisharp, Excadrill, Zard X, to name a few. Since Hippowdon is my switch in to Electric-types, I opted for a mixed defensive spread. The moves are quite standard. Earthquake is a strong STAB move that damages anything not immune to it, and is useful for hitting Steel-types such as Heatran, Jirachi, and Bisharp super effectively. Stealih Rock is Stealth Rock, and Slack Off lets Hippowdon stick around longer and perform its job throughout the match. Finally, I chose Roar in the last slot. Roar enables me to prevent opposing setup sweepers from setting up all over Hippowdon, which is important when facing mons such as Bisharp, SD Lando T, Zard X, and others. Soundproof doesn't exist in OU so please don't suggest Whirlwind unless you have a very good reason for it. Sand Stream is chosen over Sand Force because Rain is a literal bitch for me to handle and having a way to reset the weather is always nice.

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 176 HP / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Torn-T was chosen next because Keldeo was looking very scary, and I needed a reliable answer to it that wasn't gonna lose to Scarf TTar on a double switch. Aside from Keldeo, Torn-T is able to switch into a lot of other mons such as TankChomp, Latias, Hoopa-U, and the plethora of Grass-types found in OU. Furthermore, Regenerator and U-Turn enables Torn-T to act as a pivot, which is a great asset to this team, especially since I have Spikes support and Mega Manectric. The set is pretty standard for the most part. 80 special attack EVs guarantee the OHKO on Keldeo after Stealth Rock, and speed is maximized for obvious reasons. The remaining EVs go into HP for bulk. The moves are standard as well. Hurricane is a strong (yet annoyingly unreliable) STAB move that hits a lot of things for neutral damage. Knock Off removes items, and U-Turn gives me momentum. Finally, Superpower was chosen so that I'm not 100% walled by Steel- and Rock-types, but rather 40% walled, because being walled by Steel-types, as well as Tyranitar, fucking sucks (it's 40% walled because Superpower doesn't do a whole lot unless Ferrothorn / Heatran are weakened).

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I was lacking a Mega and I knew I wanted one that gives offense a lot of trouble. This left me with two choices: Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric. I finally settled on Mega Manectric because its access to Volt Switch and Intimidate can steamroll a lot of offensive mons, and very few teams that lack a Seismitoad or Hippowdon have way of reliably dealing with fast Electric-types. On this team, Mega Manectric forms a VoltTurn core with Torn-T and it acts as a check to Flying-types such as Talonflame and Tornadus-T. The set is as standard as it gets. Dual Electric STABs enable me to either hit hard or pivot out, whichever I choose to do. HP Ice lets me not be walled by Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Gliscor. Flamethrower is chosen over overheat because the metagame is at the point where no one stay in with their Ferro or Scizor on Manectric and avoiding a -2 Special Attack drop can be absolutely crucial as I am able to stay in more often when I really need to. EVs are standard af.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover

Lastly, I wanted something to steamroll fatter balance teams while still posing a threat to offense. CM Latios fit the bill perfectly because it has stupidly powerful Draco Meteors and acts as a reliable check to Keldeo should Tornadus-T die or something, and it's a general water resist. Furthermore, Calm Mind lets it break past would-be checks like MG Clefable or Chansey after its Eviolite has been knocked off. Even if neither of those Pokemon are present, very few Pokemon want to switch into a +1 LO Draco, and of those that do, most are handled by the rest of the team. The EVs are standard, with 29 HP IVs to minimize Life Orb recoil. Calm Mind + dual STABs is the most potent set from my findings, so I went with that. I chose Recover over a coverage move because this team is a bit bulkier and having staying power has proven more beneficial than an extra coverage move.

Conclusion:

Overall, this team has served me pretty well in matches against friends and OU room tours. I haven't used it much outside of these, but it did net me a win against d0nut so that's something I guess. However, t does have its fair share of weaknesses. For one, opposing Spikes stacking team can be a bitch since I have no hazard removal and they usually pack a spinner. Talonflame can also be an issue if Mega Manectric gets too weakened, as well as fast offense. There are other things such as Rain and random shit that lower ladder players use but yeah. I suck at conclusions because I am a huge dweb so moving on.

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-269925990 OU Room Tour match
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-84835 Smogon Tour match
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-271361605 OU League match
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-271702595 Friendly match vs Rumor

Might post more later if I'm requested to do so. I'd have more but I literally never save my replays.

Shoutouts (in no particular order):
Sorry if any of these are bad but I'm terrible at saying why I like people

Reverb: probably my best friend on the site, even tho idk why I talk to you half the time. Either way you're pretty cool when you're not calling me a ginger every 2 seconds

Celticpride: you got me into rating teams again so thanks for that. We even ran a thread together before it completely died but it was fun when it lasted. Stay cool bro

Rumor: coolest guy on the ou room staff. Thanks for helping me keep sane when I'm in the room. It's also fun talking to you about whatever it is that we talk about.

Vertex: if only you could make better teams…

m00ns: s/o for doing the ou workshop thing. Idk how you can deal with that man…

Aragorn the King: haven't talked to you in a while but we gotta catch up some time.

bludz: you literally popped out of nowhere but you’ve made a name for yourself and ur one of the easiest people to talk to on this site.

boltsandbombers: stay cool bro and keep hammering out the c&c stuff

IronBullet: you're like the only upper staff person I know but even if you weren't you're still one of the coolest people on the site.

Albacore: I have no idea of how you can deal with being a RO of the ou room but keep it up because you do a great job.

Krauersaut: thanks for letting me do the facebook potw and thanks for the ubers teams you've given me over the past few months

Dread Arceus: s/o for being one of the sane ones in bof even thou r avatars are weird af

KlefkiHolder: glad u came back because it's really fun to talk to you

Mysteria: idk what to put here but you're cool

Recreant: same as above

praj.pran: I swear to god if u keep playing you will go places. You're cool to talk to and a better player than I am. Keep it up.

BlackBloodz: come onto ps more ;_;

Finchinator: I don't talk to you much outside of skype but you're pretty cool

Saph: you're like the only serebii person I still talk to but I can talk to you about literally anything and it's great.

ABR: when you're not usin goth you're pretty cool

Srn: idk why but we always end up making the best teams when we build together =]

Christo The Gr8: you're going places man. i'm realy glad i was able to tutor you in ou because i got a good friend out of it. get cc so we can match badgesets

Moonclawz: you should really come online more I literally never see you anymore =[

Shoutouts to everyone in the OU room and bof for being cool. Y'all are why I keep coming back to ps.

If I forgot some people, it's because my memory is shit, not because I secretly hate you. i luv u all

Importable:
Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Roar

EVs: 176 HP / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover

Last edited:

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey, nice team. Definitly will try it out. I thought about building around Nidoking too, since Lando-I is banned. It has less power but access to Ice Beam and Flamethrower. Great for wallbreaking with very few switchins if there is no dedicated special wall on the opposing team.
Cool team!

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Literally had a team exactly like this, with just Goth replacing Nidoking so I can have a Volturn + Trapping combo...

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Trick
- Rest
- Psychic

Swear I ain't lying, was just about to post an RMT of it too, put don't see point now :)

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Hi, -Clone-

Nice team, it looks really solid. I have seen the replays ups and I congratulate the team. Gastrodon highlight the nick of Rumor, I laughed. With teams and I see nothing to change, I even think that with any change that has lost balance. The hazards not think they are a problem despite not having that eliminate them. I see you have just Tornadus-T speed to pass and catch with Uturn Alakazam. My compliments to use such a good team with Nidoking.

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
I like the base of this team. The strategy of Spikes + VoltTurn core + wallbreaker is pretty convenient against most of the archetypes overall. But something which kinda bugs me is using Latios as ur only reliable Water-type resist. Although Keld is already covered by Torn-T if your Lati gets Pursuit'd, Azuma just puts too much pressure against this team, especially vs Belly Drum Variants, forcing your team to sac 1~2 mons just to Intimidate it with Manectric if they set-up on Klefki and Lati gets weakened. Other than that, almost every standard offensive threat are well covered by offensive pressure or Klefki, with a few exceptions being Air Balloon Exca, but u have the tools to play round him.

Like you said, hazard stacking is really a problem, especially against Stall matchups... it's really hard for you to beat the common archetype based of Chonsey / Skarm / Quag / Goth / Amoonguss or Slowbro / M-Sab, especially when Sab itself (if SpD) walls almost everything + prevents putting hazards getting up, so you kinda relies on CM Latios to break them. If Goth sacs itself and succesfully tricks Lati, i see Torn-T's Hurricane + Knock Off as ur only chance of breaking something. For these reasons i find Heat Have more comfortable than Superpower Torn-T (so you avoid getting hard walled by Skarm) and finds a opportunity for using Knock Off on Chansey, and you don't lose too much vs Ttar or Nido, since Hippo or Nido is already there (via U-Turn obv) to steal his momentum, and maybe slap Superpower on Nidoking to lure Chansey, but it's more to personal preference, since Flamethrower is pretty cool to pick a clean KO (which it's pretty cool for ur Lati moveset) instead of 2HKO against Bulky-steels found on various Balanced teams.

But of course there are great aspects on your squad, and i shouldn't talking only about the weak points! The speed + offensive aspects of Torn-T / Lati / Manec are always convenient against opposing offensive teams, and the defensive backbone of Hippo and Klef is really convenient on early- and mid-game, especially bc Hippo doesn't fear HP Ice from Electrics (unlike Lando-T or Chomper), giving you a safer gameplan even in a Offense vs Offense match, while Klefki is always a good emmergency button against set-up sweepers and Fairy-types.

Really nice team, I always like Nidos since they have a lot of firepower.

Tbh, I was wondering, how do you even win vs. Chansey stall? Chansey+Mega Sableye literally wall all your team except Latios and if Chansey Toxics Latios it's pretty much over, it doesn't even need to use Toxic is stall has Unaware Clefable.

As such, I recommend Superpower > Flamethrower on Nidoking since all it hits are Steel types who take neutral damage from Earth Power, i.e Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Scizor, all which your team handles pretty well (Mega Mane alone can tear holes in those teams).

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i appreciate all the kind words said by everyone <3

Really nice team, I always like Nidos since they have a lot of firepower.

Tbh, I was wondering, how do you even win vs. Chansey stall? Chansey+Mega Sableye literally wall all your team except Latios and if Chansey Toxics Latios it's pretty much over, it doesn't even need to use Toxic is stall has Unaware Clefable.

As such, I recommend Superpower > Flamethrower on Nidoking since all it hits are Steel types who take neutral damage from Earth Power, i.e Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Scizor, all which your team handles pretty well (Mega Mane alone can tear holes in those teams).
i literally click x vs chansey stall because it's not worth my time to face it (i could go on forever about stall but tl;dr look at my avi and ct). i also never really face it anyways because i don't ladder at all, and that is where you will see it the most. as such i don't really see much of a need to use superpower on nidoking, especially because of this:

0 Atk Life Orb Nidoking Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 302-356 (47 - 55.4%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO

granted if i knock off the eviolite it does upwards of 70-80% so if there is anyone out there who wants to steal this team for ladder usage, feel free to make this change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)