SS OU November Rain - 200 posts!

November Rain - Volcanion Part 2
=====================================================

Introduction:
Hello everyone! I’m VTaxi, and I’m back with another team! I had a lot of success with my previous Volcanion team, and I knew I had to use Volcanion again! Volcanion is extremely fun to use, most especially in a rain team, where its already powerful STAB attack, Steam Eruption gets even more powerful! Without further delay, this is November Rain! (At the time of writing this RMT, it’s raining very, very hard.)

Teambuilding Process:
And when your fears subside

And shadows still remain, oh yeah
I know that you can love me
When there's no one left to blame
So never mind the darkness
We still can find a way
'Cause nothin' lasts forever

Even cold November rain

:ss/pelipper: :ss/volcanion: :ss/thundurus-therian:
I wanted to build around Pelipper and Volcanion. Pelipper sets up the rain, which boosts Volcanion’s Steam Eruption and gives Thundurus a 100% accurate Thunder and Water-type Weather Ball.

:ss/pelipper: :ss/volcanion: :ss/thundurus-therian: :ss/ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn is a staple in rain teams because of its bulk and reliability in checking most threats to rain teams. The rain also halves the power of Fire-type moves, helping Ferrothorn deal with its 4x weakness.

:ss/pelipper: :ss/volcanion: :ss/thundurus-therian: :ss/ferrothorn: :ss/barraskewda: :ss/blastoise:
Barraskewda and Blastoise are both great rain abusers and add speed control and set-up sweeping to the team respectively.

With that short introduction, let’s jump straight into the team!

The Team:

:ss/pelipper: :ss/volcanion: :ss/thundurus-therian: :ss/ferrothorn: :ss/barraskewda: :ss/blastoise:
click the sprites! :D

:ss/pelipper: :damp rock:
Pelipper @ Damp Rock

Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald / Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

- U-turn
Pelipper is the rain setter of this team, and it’s a good one at that. This Pelipper set is pretty standard and has nothing special, but it provides teammates with exceptional defensive utility in more ways than one.
Scald can occasionally burn Garchomp, Landorus-Therian, Ferrothorn, and Toxapex. Roost is a necessity in this set, as it provides reliable and essential recovery for Pelipper, helping it to survive longer. Defog is able to remove hazards and screens, which helps the team a lot. Clearing away the hazards is very important because hazards can screw over the team due to its lack of recovery and use of Heavy Duty Boots. Being able to summon the rain on switch-in, along with Pelipper’s low speed, a Relaxed nature, 0 Speed IVs, and access to U-turn allows rain abusers to come in safely and start sweeping.

:ss/volcanion: :choice specs:
Volcanion @ Choice Specs

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
Speaking of rain abusers, Volcanion is powerful and destructive, but it’s a very underrated pick in the OU tier. Having a 130 base Special Attack boosted by Choice Specs, a powerful 110 BP move boosted by rain, excellent coverage options, great defensive typing and stats, along with Water Absorb, allows Volcanion to be a threatening sweeper under the rain. Volcanion can take advantage of forced switches, especially on common OU Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Heatran, and OHKO or severely damage a Pokemon in return.
Steam Eruption is essentially a Scald with higher BP and less PP. Earth Power and Sludge Wave are for coverage options, to hit Toxapex and Clefable respectively. Flamethrower, even if it’s weakened by rain, is still needed to hit Ferrothorn.
Max Special Attack and a Modest Nature allow it to OHKO most neutral targets, such as Garchomp.
The Speed EVs allow Volcanion to outspeed Heatran, Tyranitar, and Magnezone.

:ss/thundurus-therian: :heavy duty boots:
Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Focus Blast

- Nasty Plot
Thundurus’ role in the team is similar to Heatran’s in Part 1 because it can absorb Electric-type attacks. Being able to absorb Electric-type attacks means a lot to rain teams like this one, because most rain teams are very vulnerable to Electric-types. Thundurus also synergizes well with Volcanion because it can cover Volcanion’s Electric-type and Ground-type weaknesses. It also benefits from Pelipper’s rain because its Weather Ball becomes Water-type, meaning it can hit Ground-types and Fire-types like Lando-T and Heatran for super-effective damage.

:ss/ferrothorn: :leftovers:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed

- Power Whip / Iron Head
Good on both paper and practice, we have Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn is a staple in rain teams due to its great defensive presence and great typing. Ferrothorn is also the hazard setter of the team, and it checks both Tapu Lele, Kyurem, and Dragapult, mons that can 6-0 the team otherwise. The rain also weakens its crippling 4x weakness to Fire.

:ss/barraskewda: :choice band:/:protective pads:

Barraskewda @ Choice Band / Protective Pads
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Flip Turn
- Psychic Fangs

- Close Combat
Barraskewda is the physical breaker of this team. Armed with both Swift Swim and a Choice Band, Barraskewda becomes a formidable breaker in the rain. Additionally, its Water-type STAB moves gets boosted by the rain. Liquidation is its main source of STAB damage, Flip Turn is for pivoting out, Close Combat is for Steel-types like Ferrothorn, and Psychic Fangs hits Toxapex for super-effective damage. Protective Pads can also be used as the item to prevent taking too much damage from Iron Barbs or Rocky Helmet.

:ss/blastoise: :white herb:
Blastoise @ White Herb

Ability: Rain Dish
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse / Earthquake
- Ice Beam

- Shell Smash
Blastoise is a great and underrated pick for a rain team. It has access to Shell Smash, which helps it sweep weakened teams. Ice Beam hits Grass- and Dragon-types like Tangrowth or Dragapult for super-effective damage, Surf is its main STAB-move, and Dark Pulse/Earthquake hits Water-types and Galarian Slowking. Rain Dish is essentially Leftovers when the rain is active, but Torrent may also be used for the extra damage when in a pinch.

Threatlist:
:ss/kyurem:
Kyurem 6-0s the team when Ferrothorn is weakened. I mean, is there a team that’s not weak to Kyurem?

:ss/vaporeon:/ :ss/mantine:
Vaporeon and Mantine, along with other Water Absorb , give the team a hard time because half of the team is Water-type.

:ss/dragapult:
Like Kyurem, this mon is a pain to deal with. It spams Shadow Ball on the entire team and 6-0s.

:ss/rillaboom:
Rillaboom, especially the SD variant, is a huge threat to the team if it is not stopped early on.

:ss/magnezone:
As Smashburn pointed out, Magnezone gets a kill provided that it gets in safely every time.

Outro:
This team is incredibly fun to use, I suggest you give it a try. Volcanion, along with Blastoise and Thundurus, are incredibly fun to use. Hope you have a great day! :blobwizard:

musiquepkmn - tysm! :D

Smashburn - you're back :')

Katy - Thanks for helping me make this team :D

Clutched in this RMT LMAOOO

Last edited:
Love me some November Rain in May lol. Jokes aside this team was really fun to use, had one game in which Volcanion just swept with Steam Eruption, it‘s OP in rain. Great team man! Incidentally, how would you counterplay SD LO Rillaboom with this team? Only match I lost using it was against this set.

Love me some November Rain in May lol. Jokes aside this team was really fun to use, had one game in which Volcanion just swept with Steam Eruption, it‘s OP in rain. Great team man! Incidentally, how would you counterplay SD LO Rillaboom with this team? Only match I lost using it was against this set.
Running Gyro Ball > Power Whip on Ferro can help against Rillaboom and other fairies, and Thundurus' Focus Blast after NP OHKOes. Although Rillaboom is a problem for most rain teams, there are still some countermeasures:

+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 379-447 (111.1 - 131%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus in Grassy Terrain: 276-325 (92.3 - 108.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 68 HP / 0 Def Volcanion in Grassy Terrain: 177-211 (55.6 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 456-538 (133.7 - 157.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom in Rain: 320-380 (93.8 - 111.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

dk if running fire stab on volcanion a good idea tbh bc rain weakens fire type moves.
Even when rain is up, Flamethrower still destroys Ferrothorn:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 336-396 (95.4 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 312-372 (88.6 - 105.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Great team: only two things to say.
1. IMO you should run iron head on ferrothorn, because otherwise kyurem sub just pp stall your gyro balls.
2. Why on the past there are protective pads on skewda when in the RMT you say that it has choice band?

I think that it's better to run fire blast over flamethrower on Volcanion. its a guaranteed OHKO on the standard utility Ferro set.
Some Calcs:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 408-480 (115.9 - 136.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana in Rain: 1404-1656 (542 - 639.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Great team: only two things to say.
1. IMO you should run iron head on ferrothorn, because otherwise kyurem sub just pp stall your gyro balls.
2. Why on the past there are protective pads on skewda when in the RMT you say that it has choice band?
1. I’ve never used Iron Head on Ferro before, I’m gonna give it a try :D
2. Kind of both, sometimes i find myself lacking power w/o Band and taking too much damage without Protective Pads imo

I think that it's better to run fire blast over flamethrower on Volcanion. its a guaranteed OHKO on the standard utility Ferro set.
Some Calcs:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 408-480 (115.9 - 136.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana in Rain: 1404-1656 (542 - 639.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
It is an option now, but the miss kinds sucks tho :/

Last edited:
1. I’ve never used Iron Head on Ferro before, I’m gonna give it a try :bloblul:
2. Kind of both, sometimes i find myself lacking power w/o Band and taking too much damage without Protective Pads imo

It is an option now, but the miss kinds sucks tho :/
November Rain - Volcanion Part 2

Introduction:
Hello everyone! I’m VTaxi, and I’m back with another team! I had a lot of success with my previous Volcanion team, and I knew I had to use Volcanion again! Volcanion is extremely fun to use, most especially in a rain team, where its already powerful STAB attack, Steam Eruption gets even more powerful! Without further delay, this is November Rain! (At the time of writing this RMT, it’s raining very, very hard.)

Teambuilding Process:
And when your fears subside

And shadows still remain, oh yeah
I know that you can love me
When there's no one left to blame
So never mind the darkness
We still can find a way
'Cause nothin' lasts forever

Even cold November rain

:ss/pelipper: :ss/volcanion: :ss/thundurus-therian:
I wanted to build around Pelipper and Volcanion. Pelipper sets up the rain, which boosts Volcanion’s Steam Eruption and gives Thundurus a 100% accurate Thunder and Water-type Weather Ball.

:ss/pelipper: :ss/volcanion: :ss/thundurus-therian: :ss/ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn is a staple in rain teams because of its bulk and reliability in checking most threats to rain teams. The rain also halves the power of Fire-type moves, helping Ferrothorn deal with its 4x weakness.

Barraskewda and Blastoise are both great rain abusers and add speed control and set-up sweeping to the team respectively.

With that short introduction, let’s jump straight into the team!

The Team:

click the sprites! :D

:ss/pelipper: :damp rock:
Pelipper @ Damp Rock

Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald / Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

- U-turn
Pelipper is the rain setter of this team, and it’s a good one at that. This Pelipper set is pretty standard and has nothing special, but it provides teammates with exceptional defensive utility in more ways than one.
Scald can occasionally burn Garchomp, Landorus-Therian, Ferrothorn, and Toxapex. Roost is a necessity in this set, as it provides reliable and essential recovery for Pelipper, helping it to survive longer. Defog is able to remove hazards and screens, which helps the team a lot. Clearing away the hazards is very important because hazards can screw over the team due to its lack of recovery and use of Heavy Duty Boots. Being able to summon the rain on switch-in, along with Pelipper’s low speed, a Relaxed nature, 0 Speed IVs, and access to U-turn allows rain abusers to come in safely and start sweeping.

:ss/volcanion: :choice specs:
Volcanion @ Choice Specs

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
Speaking of rain abusers, Volcanion is powerful and destructive, but it’s a very underrated pick in the OU tier. Having a 130 base Special Attack boosted by Choice Specs, a powerful 110 BP move boosted by rain, excellent coverage options, great defensive typing and stats, along with Water Absorb, allows Volcanion to be a threatening sweeper under the rain. Volcanion can take advantage of forced switches, especially on common OU Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Heatran, and OHKO or severely damage a Pokemon in return.
Steam Eruption is essentially a Scald with higher BP and less PP. Earth Power and Sludge Wave are for coverage options, to hit Toxapex and Clefable respectively. Flamethrower, even if it’s weakened by rain, is still needed to hit Ferrothorn.
Max Special Attack and a Modest Nature allow it to OHKO most neutral targets, such as Garchomp.
The Speed EVs allow Volcanion to outspeed Heatran, Tyranitar, and Magnezone.

:ss/thundurus-therian: :heavy duty boots:
Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Focus Blast

- Nasty Plot
Thundurus’ role in the team is similar to Heatran’s in Part 1 because it can absorb Electric-type attacks. Being able to absorb Electric-type attacks means a lot to rain teams like this one, because most rain teams are very vulnerable to Electric-types. Thundurus also synergizes well with Volcanion because it can cover Volcanion’s Electric-type and Ground-type weaknesses. It also benefits from Pelipper’s rain because its Weather Ball becomes Water-type, meaning it can hit Ground-types and Fire-types like Lando-T and Heatran for super-effective damage.

:ss/ferrothorn: :leftovers:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed

- Power Whip / Iron Head
Good on both paper and practice, we have Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn is a staple in rain teams due to its great defensive presence and great typing. Ferrothorn is also the hazard setter of the team, and it checks both Tapu Lele, Kyurem, and Dragapult, mons that can 6-0 the team otherwise. The rain also weakens its crippling 4x weakness to Fire.

:ss/barraskewda: :choice band:/:protective pads:

Barraskewda @ Choice Band / Protective Pads
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Flip Turn
- Psychic Fangs

- Close Combat
Barraskewda is the physical breaker of this team. Armed with both Swift Swim and a Choice Band, Barraskewda becomes a formidable breaker in the rain. Additionally, its Water-type STAB moves gets boosted by the rain. Liquidation is its main source of STAB damage, Flip Turn is for pivoting out, Close Combat is for Steel-types like Ferrothorn, and Psychic Fangs hits Toxapex for super-effective damage. Protective Pads can also be used as the item to prevent taking too much damage from Iron Barbs or Rocky Helmet.

:ss/blastoise: :white herb:
Blastoise @ White Herb

Ability: Rain Dish
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse / Earthquake
- Ice Beam

- Shell Smash
Blastoise is a great and underrated pick for a rain team. It has access to Shell Smash, which helps it sweep weakened teams. Ice Beam hits Grass- and Dragon-types like Tangrowth or Dragapult for super-effective damage, Surf is its main STAB-move, and Dark Pulse/Earthquake hits Water-types and Galarian Slowking. Rain Dish is essentially Leftovers when the rain is active, but Torrent may also be used for the extra damage when in a pinch.

Threatlist:
:ss/kyurem:
Kyurem 6-0s the team when Ferrothorn is weakened. I mean, is there a team that’s not weak to Kyurem?

:ss/vaporeon:/ :ss/mantine:
Vaporeon and Mantine, along with other Water Absorb mons, give the team a hard time because half of the team is Water-type.

:ss/dragapult:
Like Kyurem, this mon is a pain to deal with. It spams Shadow Ball on the entire team and 6-0s.

:ss/rillaboom:
Rillaboom, especially the SD variant, is a huge threat if it is not stopped early on.

Outro:
This team is incredibly fun to use, I suggest you give it a try. Volcanion, along with Blastoise and Thundurus, are incredibly fun to use. Hope you have a great day! :blobwizard:

musiquepkmn - tysm! :D

Smashburn - you're back :')

Katy - Thanks for helping me make this team :D

Clutched in this RMT LMAOOO
I love it so much ty

I think I faced you on ladder before and crushed you without mercy using FiniZone. Needless to say I recommend this team has Zone added to its threat list for needing to be played around less passively, as if it catches Ferro the team has no defensive core and falls apart quickly at common weaknesses. Outside of that, looks like you had fun with it

:smogduck:

I think I faced you on ladder before and crushed you without mercy using FiniZone. Needless to say I recommend this team has Zone added to its threat list for needing to be played around less passively, as if it catches Ferro the team has no defensive core and falls apart quickly at common weaknesses. Outside of that, looks like you had fun with it

:smogduck:
Actually, I don’t remember getting crushed by FiniZone sometime in the past, maybe it’s someone else? :blobshrug:Jokes aside, I’ve actually been using Bulky SD Scizor over Blastoise, and it worked out very well as the team doesn’t lose as hard to Kyurem and Rillaboom anymore. Thanks for the recommendation, I implemented it already :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)