EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
INTRODUCTION

Believe it or not, the last time I posted an RMT article in Smogon was in 2011; I post BW OU teams when Smogon still resided in Pokemon Online at that time.

This time, I'm going to present to you one of my favorite ORAS UU teams I could share to everyone. As stated in the title, this team features one of the most underrated sweepers worth trying in the UU metagame: Marill. Inspired after the Kamikaze round of the Iron Chef, Chandelure is by far the greatest teammate Marill could ever possibly have, as it has one of the moves I've been obsessed to for a couple of months: Memento. I can't remember how I built and why I specifically selected the remaining Pokemon in the team, but the main principle behind this team is that it needs to cover what needs to be covered offensively and defensively.

In the end, this turned out to be a bulky offense team, and how I wanted this team to function is to exert pressure to hazard setters before setting up entry hazards of my own, find the opportunity for Chandelure to pull a Memento, and let Marill do the rest of the work.

Every time I build successful teams, I always put in mind a different theme, be it a certain Yu-Gi-Oh archetype, a video game that I played, or even a certain field I got interested in (music, for the most part). For the first time in my entire life, however, this team doesn't have a certain theme because I named it "MARILL HYPE", which opened me new doors as to how to present this team in a unique way.

DISCLAIMER: The format of this RMT article is very different from all the RMT articles you have seen; if I have gravely violated something, please let me know. Read the text from top to bottom, as there will be transitions that the Pokemon will be introduced after a wall of text.

Greetings, everyone! Iron Chef Euphonos here, and welcome to the very first ORAS UU RMT article of mine entitled, "An Apocalyptic Alleluia - featuring Marill!" Feel free to play that video as you read the team in-depth for energy.

TEAM IN-DEPTH

This Pokemon is very capable of taking some Special Attacks even without investing its Special Defense EV's, and the most important attack it could take is Scald. Thanks to Natural Cure, it can heal the Scald burn once it switches out, and can use Giga Drain in order to beat some of the Bulky Waters around. It also has Sludge Bomb to cover Grass-types, another type that can hinder Marill's chances of sweeping. Spikes is a secondary hazard move worth using on this Pokemon as there is already a Stealth Rock setter to be introduced later on, and it can complement the team's potent offensive abilities. Finally, a disrupting move is a staple on all teams, and this Pokemon with Sleep Powder is no exception here.

240 HP EVs help it grant a Black Sludge number for Poison-types, and 228 Speed EVs paired with a Timid Nature allow it to outrun the common Adamant Entei and put to sleep (hopefully) before it can make a move. Finally, the remaining EVs go to Special Attack so that it can power up Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb by the slightest. Because it is a Special Attacker, it is best to minimize Foul Play damage by reducing its Attack IV's to 0.

Smogonites, I introduce to you: Roserade!

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 40 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

With the remaining team members being slow to outrun the likes of Cobalion, Azelf, and Heliolisk, here comes this Pokemon that, with Choice Scarf equipped, can help outrun these Pokemon, given they aren't holding Choice Scarf themselves. It is one of the most generic sets that is proven effective almost all the time. For starters, High Jump Kick is too good to pass up, as boosted by its STAB and its ability Reckless, nothing can go wrong besides the crucial miss. Sometimes, there are Pokemon that could resist this Pokemon's High Jump Kicks, hence it is very safe to use U-turn to scout for possible switches, move sets, and the like. Knock Off deals with Ghost- and Psychic-types very well along with their most precious item being removed from play. Finally, Stone Edge serves as a filler move used somehow sparingly, but is enough to dent Flying- and Bug-types.

EVs are very straightforward here; it should have all the Attack and Speed it needs to maximize High Jump Kick's power and outrun as much Pokemon as possible.

Smogonites, I introduce to you: Mienshao!

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Although the lack of Leftovers recovery is debilitating due to the Mega Stone being held, this Pokemon serves as one of the most reliable pivots in the UU metagame. Due to its fantastic bulk and its ability upon Mega Evolution, it is one of the most capable Stealth Rock users in the metagame. Unlike most defensive Pokemon, this has a very definite offensive presence, with Heavy Slam almost dealing maximum damage against key opponents, and Earthquake to cover fellow Steel-types. Finally, Thunder Wave is there to inflict the best status condition in the game, ever.

Since I was very obsessed with Leftovers numbers even to Pokemon not holding Leftovers at that time, I happen to let Aggron run 224 HP for that. Maximizing its Special Defense can help tank Special attacks better because the physical bulk is naturally great on its own. The rest of the EV's are placed to Defense, but I put an Impish nature to it to take physical hits a little better.

Smogonites, I introduce to you: [Mega] Aggron!

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

<upon Mega Evolution>

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter

EVs: 224 HP / 32 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

This Pokemon is very notorious for being a threatening Dragon Dance user, but being a Special attacker is also a trend thanks to its 110 Base Special Attack and its ability to clear away hazards with Defog, something Hydreigon cannot do. Draco Meteor and Fire Blast are the biggest sells of the set as checks and counters to these moves are different from those checks and counters to the physical side. Finally, Roost is there to sustain its offensive capabilities, given Life Orb being its item of choice here.

Allocating its EV spread is very straightforward; maximize its Special Attack to maximize Draco Meteor's and Fire Blast's power, and maximize its Speed and pair it with a Timid nature to outrun as much Pokemon as possible, as it is a very good Speed tier at the moment. Again, as it is a Special Attacker, it is best to minimize Foul Play damage by reducing its Attack IVs to 0.

Smogonites, I introduce to you: Salamence!

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Defog

This Pokemon surely is one of the best teammates Marill can have, thanks to its beastly Special Attacking prowess and its ability to pull off a Memento which can help aid a Marill sweep. Fire Blast and Shadow Ball are one of the best moves in this Pokemon's arsenal as they are boosted by their respective STAB's; with maximum EVs and a Modest-nature, Choice Specs variants of this Pokemon can deal the heaviest of damage even those who resist these attacks. These moves are also great against Steel-type Pokemon, as those bulky Steel-types can hinder a very fruitful Marill sweep. Finally, Trick is there to dismantle any wall that would support the opposing team.

As it is a power-hungry Pokemon, I prefer to use Modest nature to maximize the damage output from Fire Blast and Shadow Ball, alongside maximizing its Special Attack EVs. Maximizing its Speed EVs, on the other hand, allow it to outrun Adamant Feraligatr and OHKO it with Shadow Ball, and manage it to tie with Adamant variants of Mamoswine. Again, as it is a Special Attacker, it is best to minimize Foul Play damage by reducing its Attack IVs to 0.

Smogonites, I introduce to you: Chandelure!

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Memento

Finally, here goes the hidden gem of the team, easily the star of the show. You guys would be very skeptical as to why this Pokemon with a Base 20 Attack make huge waves to the opposition. The secret here lies with its ability, Huge Power; with maximum Attack EVs and an Adamant nature, its Attack would compete with Base 100's with a neutral nature and Base 90's with a positive nature. Pair that up with Belly Drum and you'll enjoy a great sweep. That's not all, however; what separates other Belly Drummers apart is the possession of a priority move fellow sweepers Linoone (and Magmortar if you still consider that) enjoy: it is no other than Aqua Jet. Knock Off deals with bulky Psychic- and Ghost-types very well while removing from play their precious item. Finally, Play Rough is the only physical Fairy STAB available that deals massive damage to Fighting- and, most importantly, Dragon-types.

Maximizing its Attack EVs coupled with an Adamant nature gets all the power it needs. Since it is using Eviolite, the main focus of Marill is the bulk; in that case, HP is maximized as well. Finally, the rest goes to Special Defense so as to prevent the Porygon family to raise their Special Attack stat thanks to Download.

Smogonites, I introduce to you the star of the show: Marill!

Marill @ Eviolite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

CONCLUSION

Yes, this team struggles mainly against Mega Swampert, especially with Rain Dance up. Roserade and Mienshao are my only chances of dealing with it, because I can't even paralyze it through Mega Aggron's Thunder Wave, unlike Feraligatr.

Anyway, thanks to Marill, it has become one of my favorite UU teams in history, and I wanted to share it to everyone because the hype is there. I would like to personally thank TheOhaiGuy for bringing up Marill to me which consequently gave me motivation to build such a team.

I would like to thank DMT as well for using this Marill team of mine, and it became part of his YouTube video below! (match featuring Marill starts at 9:50)

I really am torn whether or not I will start presenting one of my retired UU teams; I would like to thank Staraptor 4 UU, Killintime, and beppityboopbop for helping me push through with this endeavor.

I would like to thank manager King UU, R0ady, and the UUPL Champ, fellow Iron Chef, Based Lord Christo The Gr8 for sharing your expertise with me, and for the rest of the Blackthorn City Battle Girls for being so great that I have a good time being with you, guys. Good luck in your Smogon Grand Slam's UU Open run, now that I have fallen.

I would like to thank LotusHOV for being so supportive that you even helped me make a theme for several teams. If I build another successful team again, I would come back to you for that.

I would like to thank the rest of the commUUnity, especially from the likes of IronBullet, DaSpoofy, teal6, Vapo, shiny sparrow, LilOu, newfren, and Yifeng for being so ever supportive in my crazy endeavors--running novelty Pokemon such as Marill, Linoone, and Regigigas, and running rather common Pokemon but with cash novelty sets such as Darmanitan, Heracross, and Kingdra (to be featured in the UU's Dark Horse).

Last, but not the least, I would like to personally thank Hogg for running the project that changed my life: the Iron Chef project in the UU subforum. If it weren't for your presence and your project, I would have been a washed-out, one-dimensional trainer that I was before. I've built a lot of successful teams for the past five months thanks to you.

If I ever forget anyone for a shout-out, please let me know. Thank you for taking time reading this RMT article of mine. Although this is a retired team, I can still use it for casual play, so all your rates, likes, and what not are much appreciated. =)​

Last edited:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
THE TEAM IN ACTION

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uususpecttest-247714799
This is when the team debuted into the scene while under the alt named Tiptipa Kemmakem. Everything went into plan--from Roserade and Mega Aggron setting up Spikes and Stealth Rock, respectively, to Mega Aggron paralyzing my opponent's Hydreigon, to Chandelure Tricking its Choice Specs to Porygon2, pulling off a Memento, and then proceeding the sweep with Marill.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-261782206
This replay took place during Round 9 of the Iron Chef where Chef vexyyyy challenged me. With his Trevenant and Empoleon down, my Marill managed to switch in on his weakened Nidoqueen and started the sweep from there. Chef vexyyyy admitted that he underestimated the power of Marill when it managed to deal so much damage against Salamence with Play Rough that can be KO'd afterward by Aqua Jet.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-263895853
One of the most recent replays under the Tiptipa Kemmakem as I am going to showcase this team to everyone else, this replay shows how a Stall team will crumble to a set-up sweeper like Marill if such users will not tread carefully. Hell, even a critically-hit Gyro Ball from Forretress left Marill with 1 HP! Side note: I changed Marill's EV spread to 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe, still in Adamant nature, so as to outrun until 52 Speed Swampert (bonuses include outrunning 84 Speed Machamp and 44 Speed Jellicent).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-263462551
Sometimes, Marill's appearance on the field can make huge waves even without the Belly Drum boost, and this replay is no exception. While Lixx, after using this team, told me that Nidoqueen is somehow threatening to this team, playing this team right would heighten its chances of winning (Salamence can Draco Meteor Nidoqueen to death, more so if there are entry hazards on the field).

There will be more replays coming up soon! If you wish to use this team, PM me your replays along with your insights upon playing with the team. I'm so excited how this one goes. =)

Last edited:
On my phone right now and can't really do a full critique, but I just wanted to say a do things.
First, team is coo. Marill is so unexpected, and takes advantage of a number of choiced mons in the tier (chand, hydrei, shao(similar to what slurpuff does, only more impressive)). Getting even a couple of kills with the set is neat.
Second, a suggestion. While the bulk no doubt helps in a number of scenarios, a little speed wouldn't hurt either. Can't run the numbers at the moment, but being able to play rough a vaporeon before it scladburns you would be neat. What would also be neat is outspeeding umby and not taking a +6 foul play. Also empoleon if you don't wanna push the 65 mark. Anywho.
Neat team.

I just want to say: I did Marill in UU first. Best Serperior counter you could have during that suspect.

You did it far better though. I bow to your innovation, as it's actually effective.

Wheres my shoutout?!

But, in all seriousness, if there would be one person who could pull off something like marill, it would have to be you. All the praise you are getting is certainly justified. Very nice team all in all, and excited to see what you come up next!

smh no Mamoswine switch ins (LOL), in all seriousness; this is a beautiful RMT and an incredibly solid build - I am lucky not to have faced yet!

So much respect to you and your constant endeavour to build around the most obscure sets known to man kind. Keep up the good work friend, we're all waiting to see what masterful art you can come up with in the future. :]

Wow. Just Wow. Every one of your teams are incredibly effective in some strange, omnipotent way. Every time you make a team I get excited while also trying to find any flaws or weaknesses in the team, and every time, you seem to take into consideration all your threats and handle them elegantly. As a team builder, you are one of the, if not the best. As an innovator, you can be a little late for certain things, but your personal innovations seem to be the most alluring in that weird, Euphonos way. You never cease to amaze me. Keep up the good work.

Incidentally, this is actually my first ever forum post (blame my internet), so yay me.

Some base 40 speed numbers.

Adamant creep for base 65 uninvested = 204
Adamant creep for base 60 uninvested = 164

Jolly creep for base 65 uninvested = 144+
Jolly creep for base 60 uninvested = 112+

You'll lose some mixed bulk but you can adjust your bulk ev's def/spdef and keep the same targeted bulk.

If you creep then superpower may be a better investment than knock off to smack empoleaon around for mence

252+ Atk Huge Power Marill Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 248-292 (66.6 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Euphonos

Some base 40 speed numbers.

Adamant creep for base 65 uninvested = 204
Adamant creep for base 60 uninvested = 164

Jolly creep for base 65 uninvested = 144+
Jolly creep for base 60 uninvested = 112+

You'll lose some mixed bulk but you can adjust your bulk ev's def/spdef and keep the same targeted bulk.

If you creep then superpower may be a better investment than knock off to smack empoleaon around for mence

252+ Atk Huge Power Marill Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 248-292 (66.6 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Adjusted to 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe with Adamant nature in order to outrun Relaxed 52 Speed Swampert. Since I forget to save the working file, I'll do it later when I have the time to reflect all the changes involved.

Last edited:
Marill???

Vegeta, what does the scouter say about Euphonos's IQ?

Vegeta: IT'S OVER 9000!!!!

Seriously, though, this is unique and awesome, great job Euphonos! Your ideas are inspiring and wonderful and my teambuilding has definitely been effected by you. Keep working hard!

This is really really cool. I love how your Chandelure forces in Hydreigon to give Marill setup opportunities even outside of Memento.

There are only a few things I'd change about this team. The first is to just go ahead and max out Roserade's Speed so you can speed tie Lucario and Venomoth - you won't miss only 40 special attack EVs.

This is a bit of an odd suggestion, but have you considered Mega Steelix over Mega Aggron? Electric-types look painful for your team to deal with; I definitely understand that most Electric-types shit on Steelix anyway, but at least this way there will be /something/ to stop them from just clicking Volt Switch every time they come in. This is especially troublesome for your team in particular because Mega Aggron will often be forced to come in on Beedrill, which can come in vs Roserade or a locked Mienshao (or even just lead 100% safely), and Aggron is a free invitation for Electric-types to Volt Switch on your team. Obviously you'd have to give up Thunder Wave, maybe for Roar or Toxic.

Again, super cool idea and it's amazing to see it be that successful. :toast:

Euphonos

This is really really cool. I love how your Chandelure forces in Hydreigon to give Marill setup opportunities even outside of Memento.

There are only a few things I'd change about this team. The first is to just go ahead and max out Roserade's Speed so you can speed tie Lucario and Venomoth - you won't miss only 40 special attack EVs.

This is a bit of an odd suggestion, but have you considered Mega Steelix over Mega Aggron? Electric-types look painful for your team to deal with; I definitely understand that most Electric-types shit on Steelix anyway, but at least this way there will be /something/ to stop them from just clicking Volt Switch every time they come in. This is especially troublesome for your team in particular because Mega Aggron will often be forced to come in on Beedrill, which can come in vs Roserade or a locked Mienshao (or even just lead 100% safely), and Aggron is a free invitation for Electric-types to Volt Switch on your team. Obviously you'd have to give up Thunder Wave, maybe for Roar or Toxic.

Again, super cool idea and it's amazing to see it be that successful. :toast:
Mega Steelix is a very welcome addition to the team over Mega Aggron; however, with Dragon Dance Feraligatr and Mega Sharpedo running rampant in the tier, my team would have a hard time dealing with them. I do consider Electric-types being threatening to the team because they will force Roserade to tank a Volt Switch and wear Mega Aggron out with a U-turn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)