np: BW Ubers Suspect Testing Round 1 - Mama Said Knock You Out UPDATE POST #95

Status
Not open for further replies.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Welcome one and all to Smogon's very first ever round of Ubers Suspect Testing. Jibaku, Great Sage, and I have agreed that we should start with OHKO Clause, because we believe it will impact the metagame the least. Will we be proven wrong? Who knows. That's for all of us to find out.

The way this will work is as follows. After 2 weeks of laddering, the Ubers Council will convene to decide whether the metagame is stable enough to move to a large-scale measure. The only reason this would not be done is if the metagame is so uncompetitive that it does not function at all. At this time, they can also vote to amend the clauses in certain ways as a further option in the vote. After this meeting, we will look at the ladder and use a set of requirements to determine who can vote. We're taking a page from OU's book and setting the requirements at a Glicko2 rating of 2000 and a Glicko2 deviation of 55 or lower on the Ubers ladder. Note that this is the UBERS ladder, not the Ubers Suspect ladder. There will be no Ubers Suspect ladder, since we want to keep all the activity concentrated. Also be aware that, if we are not satisfied with the amount of people who qualify with the above ratings, we may lower it; do NOT rely on this, however.

Here's a timeline:

• Sunday, October 21: Ubers Ladder has been reset and OHKO Clause has been removed
  • Sunday, November 4, 11:59 PM: Round finishes. A screenshot will be taken of the ladder and a thread will be posted to identify yourselves.
  • Tuesday, November 6, 11:59PM: Special applications are due and we will start voting.
  • Sometime after the round ends but before we begin voting, we will have a council meeting on #uberscouncil on SynIRC. The date and time will be announced further down the road when the council members' schedules allow.
Good luck, brave soldiers.

[youtube]vimZj8HW0Kg[/youtube]

The only thing I can think of is Hone Claws Excadrill. How much is his accuracy of fissure after one hone claw and wide lens? And 2?

OHKO moves are kinda luck based, but 30% is really low.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only thing I can think of is Hone Claws Excadrill. How much is his accuracy of fissure after one hone claw and wide lens? And 2?

OHKO moves are kinda luck based, but 30% is really low.
OHKO moves are not effected by normal accuracy modifiers. The only accuracy changes that effect OHKO moves are Mind Reader, Lock On, and No Guard.

OHKO moves are not effected by normal accuracy modifiers. The only accuracy changes that effect OHKO moves are Mind Reader, Lock On, and No Guard.
Ah, I didn't know that. I guess OHKO clause won't have any impact on the metagame. It seems that it is only a high risk, high reward move.

I'm going to try to use mostly stall teams for this suspect. They are the only ones that could actually be affected by OHKO moves so I feel they are the best ones to tell whether OHKO is somehow overwhelming or just a trolly gimmick.

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'll be using my Balance team so that I can see whether or not the removal of the OHKO clause actually does anything to my bulkier Pokemon while still being able to ladder efficiently thanks to my cleaners not caring about OHKO moves in the slightest. 10-1 now (mostly cause of hax and teams that aren't too too good), I have a LONG way to go in order to make reqs o_o`

Glad I built 3 solid teams, offense, balance and stall! I plan on seeing how each of them fares.

Gonna be a party. Also, just to clarify, if we achieve recs at some point during the voting period and we screen shot it, is that sufficient? Or do we need to hold recs until the end of the phase?

So I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but what strats exactly would work better with this? Articuno? Sub/Roost/Mind Reader/Sheer Cold?

Hydrarest Lapras with Sheer Cold & Horn Drill? Just throwing things out there.

Ogre also seems cool. I just don't really see why you'd use this other than as gimmicks.

GaryTheGengar

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
http://pastebin.com/1HPWJdYR
this should sum up why removing ohko clause isnt a good idea

EDIT:
okay my comp is glitching up like mad, and links to a showdown battle instead of pastebin. Its also showing me joining + leaving like a billion times >_>. oh well, the point still stands.

I think Stall teams have the most to gain in using OHKO moves. Stall teams usually find a lot of passive free turns where they typically set up hazards or phaze. If you have a free turn and the opponent is about to switch, if I was playing stall I'd be willing to give a OHKO move a shot.

Offensive teams I think have less to gain. Set up moves or powerful attacking has more merit on free turns than going for OHKO moves. If it fails, you're on the backfoot, and that's a huge problem for frailer offensive teams. Stall teams have the defensive backbone necessary to take a OHKO risk. It would also be an interesting stall breaking option for stall teams, as stall vs stall is typically reliant on the teambuilding, and this new dimension to the game would make matchups between defensive teams even more intricate.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
http://pastebin.com/1HPWJdYR
this should sum up why removing ohko clause isnt a good idea

EDIT:
okay my comp is glitching up like mad, and links to a showdown battle instead of pastebin. Its also showing me joining + leaving like a billion times >_>. oh well, the point still stands.
Oh yeah I remember that battle, good times.

But yes, seconded. For the love of goodness don't remove OHKO clause. It adds nothing to the metagame and makes BS like this possible.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
there's a reason we have banned all OHKO moves from all tiers, it's because they're completely uncompetitive and take away skill from battles, replacing it with sheer luck...really I only see these OHKO moves as a last-ditch effort for the loser of a battle to overtake the winner as a result of a 30% chance, what kind of bs is that?

^ easy kid. There is a reason for testing. If it proves to be unhealthy then it will remained banned BUT with some solid -sorta- evidence this time. So far my thoughts have been confirmed: it doesn't have a -negative- impact on the metagame. Most of the teams I've played against don't have OHKO users/moves. IMO, it will remain as a gimmick on lower ranks in the ladder if unbanned. Let's see what happens in 10 days

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
OK so I ended up testing HO and balanced and I ended up almost never encountering a single OHKO move x_x. There was this one time I saw a Kyogre using Sheer Cold but saying its efforts were futile is an understatement (lol), there is no place for these moves to be used in such a fast-paced environment. If you thought sleeping Ogre were setup bait for Dragon Dance Rayquaza wait until you see what Scald Sheer Clod Rest talk variants are.

I'll go ahead and try OHKO moves on my own team later on (on an alt though :P), but I'm not too hopeful about their potential.

@Lavos Spawn, yeah but they risk losing a winning game if their move DOES miss too lol.

Is anyone besides me concerned that a rating cutoff of 2k is a bit high for Ubers? IIRC, it'll mean you're limiting the decision to 2-3 players.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
We're just using what OU's cutoff is as a baseline. The rating requirement will definitely be revised if we find that very few people make the cutoff now.

k

For the record, I think removing OHKO clause is an AWFUL idea. But I also believe hax items (Brightpowder, Quick Claw, etc.) should be banned. Pokemon has enough of a luck component WITHOUT adding additional elements.

I just wanted to say that in one of my battles, I had Fire Blast miss 5 times in a row. Now that did not cost me said battle; however, an OHKO move (which has twice the chance of hitting as Fire Blast does missing) hitting me 5 times in a row would definitely cost me a battle. As a result, I feel the OHKO Clause should remain.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Congrats on the reqs, The Immortal!

Your reasoning to ban OHKO move is shitty, though. Have somebody actually hit you with an OHKO moves 5x? You need to back your decision with less theorymon and more play experience. Using one outlier game to show how extreme luck played against you doesn't prove anything (other than you had bad luck).

Thank you!

You are correct, and as far as I saw OHKO moves were rarely used (the few times being Sheer Cold Kyogre), and only successfully hit me once; however, it is still luck as you mentioned. I shouldn't have to lose or win a game because of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)