Metagame NP: NU Stage 0 (Beta) - Bring The Noize (Cofagrigus is Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm / Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play / Knock Off
- Recover
- Metal Burst

So oddly enough, I first started using this set on a mono-Dark team with Roseli Berry to bait Ribombee, but as I used the team I realized how much use it had for baiting other special attackers like Sceptile and Vanilluxe that think they can come in on Wisp and force you out. Since monotype is as aggressive as it is, I could often afford to effectively sacrifice Sableye in exchange for destroying a big threat with Metal Burst. It ended up impressing me enough to get me to wonder how well it could work on a normal team, and it largely works the same; since the metagame is still largely dominated by HO, this set is pretty much right at home.

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Scald
- Destiny Bond

Follows a similar idea as the above Sableye set in that it's a bulky Pokemon that's been customized to fit a more aggressive playstyle. Switch it in a lot early-game, set up as many Spikes as possible, and when you're low enough try to get a surprise kill with Destiny Bond. The Speed is for Adamant Hitmonlee and Jolly Garbodor.

---

While I'm here I might as well talk a bit about potential quickbans. I think Exploud's been covered enough already, so I won't dwell much on that, but I'll say that I agree it needs to go. Aside from that, I do have some comments on other Pokemon that are likely to be on the next slate.

: I've seen very little to no talk about this, which I'm kinda surprised by since I think it's one of the biggest contenders for a quickban. My problems with Sneasel are largely the same as they were last gen: a strong and crazy fast Dark-type almost makes it a liability to run offensive Psychic- and Ghost-types, it can easily cripple any of its checks with its STAB move alone, and both of its STABs are incredibly spammable. Its impact on the metagame is nearly identical to its impact in ORAS from my experiences.

: This was voted on last week and is still brought up relatively often, but I really haven't seen much of a problem with Virizion in practice. It's very weak without a boost, isn't that difficult to revenge kill, and every playstyle has a pretty good amount of ways to deal with it. It just feels like one of those Pokemon that sounds more threatening than it really is.

: Again, I think Necrozma's another case of being way more broken on paper than in practice. I keep seeing people on PS complain about how its "only answers" are Dark-types and Toxic, but it's so easy to pressure that I don't see why it needs a ton of surefire answers. Not to mention the fact that NU has so many Dark-types, you're probably using them without even thinking about Necrozma.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
this meta's dope as fuck

I think people are using steelix too much as a crutch right now, though, because I think about half or more of the current meta can actually beat it in some way. It's super easy to lure with the addition of z moves this gen and it's really weak considering it relies on toxic to chip stuff. I think it's useful in the way that it can check Tyrantrum defensively, but otherwise I think you're better off admitting your team might not need a Steel-type as much as you think it does.

I tried out tennis's tailwind exploud core on a separate team and it's ridiculous. Exploud by itself is pretty wild after the bans so you really don't need Tailwind, but it's cute in offensive matchups. I don't think there's much that can be said for it that hasn't already been said. Hopefully balance can be a bit more playable if it gets banned.

Necrozma's a beast, though. I've used both offensive sd and cm sets and, while I don't think they're particularly unhealthy sets, they're both super great wincons.

Necrozma @ Psychium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 180 HP / 76 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Morning Sun
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Bug]

I've been using this set on my current team and it's been doing stuff every game. Bulky offensive cm Necrozma man-handles most of Necrozma's usual checks and weakens them for teammates to win. I EV'd it to be able to take 2 of CB Sawk's Knock Offs from full and just threw the rest into SpA. Necrozma has enough raw SpA to work with that it OHKOes a ton of the tier at +1 with minimal investment like what I have. HP Bug is also super useful cause most people will just slap a Dark-type onto their team and expect it to be enough since most people will use the exploitable as fuck Iron Defense set.

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Also don't forget rhydon exists. I've hardly been seeing it on ladder. People who use xatu as their only means of hazard prevention should be feeling some offensive pressure when switching it in s opposed to what they are used to with Steelix. Soft Exploud check, Tyrantrum check, and all the stuff it did in oras mean don is for sure one of the best picks rn.

Also really good right now, but I don't know if it deserves a quick ban. I think offensive teams are more well-equipped to put Sneasel players in positions where they need to pick from several options instead of just Knock Off or Pursuit. An adundance of wildly threatening Fighting-types, less exploitable Ghost-types, bulky Z-Move Psychic-types that can fight back, etc all give Sneasel more trouble this gen compared to last. I'm not arguing it isn't potentially broken, but I do think it'd be great to see how players adapt to Sneasel as it becomes more and more relevant. I think there will be a lot of options to make your team less Sneasel weak compared to last gen where the solution was "well, I guess Mawile is my Rocker."

Also just passing thoughts but Jellicent is splashable on just about every Bulky Offensive team, Passimian is actually pretty good and has surprised me in a lot of games with how strong it is, Cryogonal isn't as bad of a Pokemon as I thought it was but I don't think it's the best spinner like some people, Seismitoad is actually bad, and Golbat is secretly saving the metagame.

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Necrozma's a beast, though. I've used both offensive sd and cm sets and, while I don't think they're particularly unhealthy sets, they're both super great wincons.

Necrozma @ Psychium Z
EVs: 180 HP / 76 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Morning Sun
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Bug]

I've been using this set on my current team and it's been doing stuff every game. Bulky offensive cm Necrozma man-handles most of Necrozma's usual checks and weakens them for teammates to win. I EV'd it to be able to take 2 of CB Sawk's Knock Offs from full and just threw the rest into SpA. Necrozma has enough raw SpA to work with that it OHKOes a ton of the tier at +1 with minimal investment like what I have. HP Bug is also super useful cause most people will just slap a Dark-type onto their team and expect it to be enough since most people will use the exploitable as fuck Iron Defense set.
Hey, great post! Agree with a lot of your points, particularly about Exploud.

I just wanted to mention that Power Gem is also a viable option on this set as it only loses out coverage on Shiftry, Cacturne, and Malamar, but gains it on Incineroar and Houndoom, while hitting the already neutrals and SEs harder.

You also lose out on the Psychic vs Psychic matchup. Just depends on what your team needs more.

Last edited:

r0ady

People like to invent monsters and monstrosities
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Drampa @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Dragon Pulse

Been having a lot of fun using this monster. This thing hits absurdly hard off its 135 special attack, with draco at worst doing over half to anything thats not a fairy type. It much prefers the speed, since it lets it outpace a healthy amount of walls in the tier that would beat it otherwise, and although it learns almost every special attack you can think of, (Ice Beam, Hurricane, Energy Ball, Thunderbolt, Extrasensory, Surf, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast) it really only needs Dragon/Normal/Fire coverage to break everything in NU, which is why i opted for Pulse over anything else. This thing isnt that great overall, and Exploud is a better wallbreaker most of the time since it only needs one move and is faster, but Drampa brings actual resistances to the table and Draco hits quite a bit harder than Boomburst:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Jellicent: 283-334 (70.2 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Jellicent: 345-406 (85.6 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

So yeah id suggest giving it a try at least, especially if Exploud gets banned

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thought I'd share a few fun mons/sets ive been using as of late:

Absol @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Tail

I originally wanted to build with this, as I figured access to SD and STAB Sucker Punch would make Absol a fantastic wallbreaker/late-game cleaner in this meta. And man, this thing doesn't let me down; Darkinium Z is for Z-Sucker Punch to give me a strong Dark-type nuke which allows me to do shit like this:

+2 252 Atk Absol Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 396-466 (95.6 - 112.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

+2 252 Atk Absol Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 247-292 (70.1 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Absol Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garbodor: 373-441 (102.4 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This mon is ungodly powerful; Iron Tail is standard in order to hit Fairies and Fighting-types on the switch which otherwise prove to be a pain in the ass. Weakening the fat shit with +2 Z-Sucker Punch that my partners hate having to deal with is great; go try this mon out.

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch
- Signal Beam

This mon is pretty damn bad, I won't lie; but since people want to go spam Exploud teams on the ladder, figured i might as well make a team with this to deter those Boomburst spammers. On top of that, its new Speed tier is really damn nice, allowing it to outspeed the likes of Modest Specs Accelgor (really threatening set to play against). Of course, it is weak as balls, so you really have to utilize your wallbreakers properly to weaken Electrode's checks like Steelix to ensure that the enemy team finds difficulty switching into Electrode.

Silvally-Dragon @ Dragon Memory
Ability: RKS System
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Parting Shot

I thought of using Silvally-Dragon as a faster check to Water/Electric/Grass types, given that just about every other Dragon-type in the tier is slow as balls save for Tyrantrum (which isn't a Water/Grass resist so rip). It's been putting a decent amount of work; its stats lend itself well in this tier, as its offensive stats are passable backed up by a strong STAB Draco with Fire/Steel coverage for its checks. Its bulk is also really nice for switching into stuff like Seismitoad and taking advantage of it. Of course, it has no recovery, and at times you wish it was stronger (happens when you cant use an item lol), but its coverage and access to Parting Shot make this mon really fun to use in this tier. Speaking of Parting Shot, this move is so annoying for opponents to deal with; just Parting Shot into a wallbreaker/setup sweeper and go to town.

Please get rid of Exploud, why the fuck am I using Electrode, help

People really underestimate Necrozma and personally I think it's too much for this tier. Despite a bland psychic typing, it's still a great Pokemon defensively especially when being backed up with Prism Armor and 97 / 101/ 89 bulk. It's arguably one of the best fighting checks and even to the point where Sneasel fails to 2HKO with Choice Band Knock Off when you have max HP/Def investment. Iron Defense CM makes for a good win condition once you get said checks weakened down or eliminated and carrying some team support for Necro's flaws isn't too hard.

Offensive sets have been coming more popular and they make for a great way to bypass teams that rely on Toxic to beat Necrozma the biggest one being Steelix. Psychic and a coverage move (Dark Pulse, Solarbeam, Hidden Powers, Power Gem & Flash Cannon) does the job despite being a little awkward and using a Z-crystal really puts on the pressure and it really puts Necrozma's huge special attack to great use having that direct offensive pressure.

Pretty much every relevant dark type lacks recovery and happen to be fairly frail (bar Scrafty), Necrozma's recovery always keeps it healthy throughout the match and overall it's just a huge pain to play against to the point where it needs to go.

Sorry I didn't really write much but a lot of stuff has been said about Necrozma so I didn't want to overlap on the same stuff.

I have been wondering for a while, but why aren't people using a mixed offensive Necrozma? I mean you aren't taking full advantage of either its bulk or the win con Calm Mind set, but 107 base attack with just a little investment could abuse Rock Polish/Automize, Earthquake, Brick Break or Stone Edge in addition to STAB Psychic, Power Gem and a Hidden Power of choice.

Maybe I don't see the big picture, so feel free to tell me if there is something preventing that from being viable or worth discussing.

I have been wondering for a while, but why aren't people using a mixed offensive Necrozma? I mean you aren't taking full advantage of either its bulk or the win con Calm Mind set, but 107 base attack with just a little investment could abuse Rock Polish/Automize, Earthquake, Brick Break or Stone Edge in addition to STAB Psychic, Power Gem and a Hidden Power of choice.

Maybe I don't see the big picture, so feel free to tell me if there is something preventing that from being viable or worth discussing.
Honestly, from my own experience of using a mixed Necrozma, there isn't that much that does get hit by it's physical options that justifies lowering what bulk it does have. Earthquake at most hits Houndoom, Delphox, and Drapion harder then your other options (I may have missed something here, so tell me if i did). Stone Edge i don't think hits anything really noticable, and you have Power Gem anyway for rock coverage. Brick Break could hit Scrafty and other dark types weak to it, but you aren't killing Scrafty with it, and the others you could get rid of with the other coverage moves you have as well.

Like, i could be wrong, but there isn't that much merit in running a mixed Necrozma i believe, especially with what threats there are.

I'm honestly a little surprised that Necrozma hasn't gotten the boot from NU yet, it's such an amazing and versatile Pokemon. Regardless, I'd like to bring attention to a Pokemon that's been relatively ignored in NU so far, Exeggutor-A.
Grass / Dragon typing gives it lovely resistances to Ground, Water, Grass, and Electric, all incredibly common types. It also loses weaknesses to Dark, Fire, and Ghost type attacks, and its Bug weakness is now only 2x instead of 4x. So what else can this thing get? It's decently bulk (95 / 85 / 75), has a good defensive typing (bar that annoying 4x ice weakness that most Dragons deal with), great mixed attacking stats (105 / 125), and a wonderful offensive movepool. Just what does this thing get you might ask?

Physical Movepool: Brick Break, Brutal Swing, Bulldoze, Bullet Seed, Dragon Hammer (Exclusive Dragon STAB), Dragon Tail, Earthquake, Explosion, Frustration, Natural Gift, Return, Seed Bomb, Wood Hammer
Special Movepool: Ancient Power, Draco Meteor, Dream Eater, Energy Ball, Extrasensory, Flamethrower, Giga Drain, Grass Knot, Hidden Power, Infestation, Leaf Storm, Psychic, Psyshock, Sludge Bomb, Solar Beam
Support Movepool: Curse, Endure, Grassy Terrain, Gravity, Ingrain, Leech Seed, Light Screen, Moonlight, Nightmare, Protect, Reflect, Rest, Sleep Powder, Sleep Talk, Stun Spore, Substitute, Swords Dance, Synthesis, Toxic, Trick Room, Wish

Despite his lackluster speed of 45 (can be avoided with Trick Room and also the extra bulk helps), and his annoying weaknesses to Flying, Bug, Dragon, Ice, Poison, and Fairy, he's more than capable of carving multiple niches in the Sun / Moon NU metagame.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I'd like to suggest banning the move Swagger so I no longer have to face Sub, T-wave, Swagger, Foul Play Liepard on ladder. :]
I actually disagree with this sentiment, as clearly demonstrated in this replay, it simply isn't nearly consistent or powerful enough to be ban-worthy anymore. The new plethora of Ground-types in the tier and Thunder Wave's accuracy drop to 90% don't help your case either :(

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Been playing around some more and making some new teams now that all of my old ones have illegal mons, and I stumbled upon this set. It's similar to the one talked about in the RU thread but with one main difference...

Meloetta @ Normalium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock / Shadow Ball
- Heal Bell

Calm Mind Meloetta is a huge threat and Normalium-Z gives it a lot of versatility on this set. Firstly, a +1 Breakneck Blitz from 355 Special Attack will break through just about any non-resistant Pokemon it hits. Secondly, Heal Bell prevents people from stalling out Meloetta with status and tactical switching, a Z-Heal Bell gives you a free one-off Full Restore, meaning you have the flexibility of boosting up, healing, and then breaking through the opponent's team without them being able to revenge kill you as easily. I initially chose Psyshock since STAB + going mixed is quite nice, but Evan. suggested using Shadow Ball instead, which gives you perfect neutral coverage and lets you hit the Ghost-types that block Hyper Voice very hard. Shadow Ball also has a 40% chance of causing a SpD drop thanks to Serene Grace, so it's arguably a better way of dealing with CM wars than Psyshock, particularly against bulky Psychic-types like Slowbro and Necrozma. Overall this set is similar to the Uxie set posted here previously, but trades physical bulk for power and versatility, only usually having to boost once or twice to break through most slower mons. Here are some replays demonstrating the versatility and effectiveness of the set:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nubeta-592327026: Meloetta sets up and wallbreaks before healing up on a Slowbro and subsequently avoiding being revenge killed by Virizion.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nubeta-591891191: Meloetta sets up on Rotom-Mow and OHKOes Mesprit with +1 Breakneck Blitz, clearing the way for a Scarf Hitmonlee sweep.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nubeta-591898333: Meloetta sets up on a regular Rotom that tries and fails to incapacitate it using Trick.

Also shoutouts to Specs Whimsicott for failing to 3HKO a Muk with Psychic (it's still good though), Scarf Emboar for taking advantage of all the good mons that naturally outspeed it getting banned, and Sash Kadabra for being substantially better than Sash Happiny.

Last edited:

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
So, I just made a fresh new alt and played 20 games with this team based around Swagger + Paralysis:

Sableye @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Swagger
- Recover
- Substitute

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stun Spore
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Force Palm
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide

Murkrow @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Calm Mind

Liepard @ Iapapa Berry
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger
- Substitute

Here are the ladder results: http://puu.sh/wnCig.png (Ironically 3 of those losses were to last turn crits by the opponent)

The team definitely isn't optimized, but I wanted to see what a potential team that would employ this kind of strategy would feel like in the meta.
I played all sorts of teams from HO, to balance, to stall, to TR, and even Rain. None of the matchups felt any different or more or less important. All that felt like mattered is my luck.

I stated last night that I didn't think Swagger was necessarily broken, but rather it's noncompetitive. After playing 20 games with this team I can firmly say that I still believe this is true.

Although Swagger + Para spam isn't necessarily objectively better than the meta around it, it did steal me several wins on the ladder that had nothing to do with skill.
Many games actually amounted to "Well, I just win if he doesn't attack this turn", which has nothing to do with me playing well and everything to do with getting up a free Substitute due to an RNG roll.

Yes, there is counterplay to this strategy such as bulky dark types, fairies, etc, but I still feel that Swagger has no place in the meta as it is noncompetitive.
By noncompetitive I mean that the luck based element of the game has too large an impact on the outcome of the game when compared to the skill-based elements.

I urge members of the council to attempt to use their own versions of Swagger + Para spam and form their own opinions based off of actual evidence as opposed to "oh yeah it was nerfed, it's probably fine now"

Although I don't think it is a huge issue in the meta (because people aren't using it), I still feel like Swagger is an unhealthy, noncompetitive part of the current SM NU metagame that should be examined further.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So, I just made a fresh new alt and played 20 games with this team based around Swagger + Paralysis:

Sableye @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Swagger
- Recover
- Substitute

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stun Spore
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Force Palm
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Calm Mind

Liepard @ Iapapa Berry
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger
- Substitute

Here are the ladder results: http://puu.sh/wnCig.png (Ironically 3 of those losses were to last turn crits by the opponent)

The team definitely isn't optimized, but I wanted to see what a potential team that would employ this kind of strategy would feel like in the meta.
I played all sorts of teams from HO, to balance, to stall, to TR, and even Rain. None of the matchups felt any different or more or less important. All that felt like mattered is my luck.

I stated last night that I didn't think Swagger was necessarily broken, but rather it's noncompetitive. After playing 20 games with this team I can firmly say that I still believe this is true.

Although Swagger + Para spam isn't necessarily objectively better than the meta around it, it did steal me several wins on the ladder that had nothing to do with skill.
Many games actually amounted to "Well, I just win if he doesn't attack this turn", which has nothing to do with me playing well and everything to do with getting up a free Substitute due to an RNG roll.

Yes, there is counterplay to this strategy such as bulky dark types, fairies, etc, but I still feel that Swagger has no place in the meta as it is noncompetitive.
By noncompetitive I mean that the luck based element of the game has too large an impact on the outcome of the game when compared to the skill-based elements.

I urge members of the council to attempt to use their own versions of Swagger + Para spam and form their own opinions based off of actual evidence as opposed to "oh yeah it was nerfed, it's probably fine now"

Although I don't think it is a huge issue in the meta (because people aren't using it), I still feel like Swagger is an unhealthy, noncompetitive part of the current SM NU metagame that should be examined further.
Hey Goomy, I think it's really cool that you're testing this kind of stuff right now. Ever since OU unbanned Swagger at the start of the gen, I haven't seen or heard anyone try to specifically build around it or test to see if it's still as bad as it used to be.

That being said, I'm still a little unconvinced. I can see the results of your laddering, but 16 wins on low ladder isn't especially hard to accomplish. I think it'd really help your case if you shared a couple of replays of you winning while abusing Swagger. It would also help your case to share replays of you losing and using that to explore both sides of the argument. It's hard to really see the same impact you're seeing if we don't see the battles themselves to draw our own conclusions, y'know?

I might try out your team for a couple games to see it for myself, but I'm going into it with reservations on staking a game on getting consecutive 30% and 25% chances. I think it's important to explore both sides of the argument, though!

metal burst mons are hot, also 1000% agreeing with waters' post. i've been using offensive necrozma a lot lately as well as facing a bunch of defensive ones and waters' post does a good job of outlining how difficult this thing is to kill as well as how much of a force it is offensively. If youre using a z-move set (which is what i think most necrozmas should be using) the only dark types that i would say beat necrozma reliably are sd drapion and rest scrafty. any kind of choiced set (CB sneasel / drap, especially CS drap) and even weaker pursuit mons (skunk) can be scouted SUPER easily by clicking moonlight because of its massive bulk and then just kind of set up on and beat the dark types (depending on the coverage move slot) because of how little that knock off does to even offensive sets. heres some calcs:
the spread that im running is 192 HP / 252 SpAtk / 64 Spe as it outruns neutral base 70s

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Knock Off vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Prism Armor Necrozma: 190-226 (49.6 - 59%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO (thats only 9% at the max after a moonlight at which point you can easily just switch out)

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Pursuit vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Prism Armor Necrozma: 118-141 (30.8 - 36.8%) -- 68.7% chance to 3HKO (clicking pursuit is literally a bad option against necrozma)

drapion is the same way except its literally just weaker
basically just read waters' post he nails it and i think the way in which necrozma can just bust through common teams right now is disgusting and is too much for the tier in my opinion.

also the reason that i voted for exploud to stay in the initial vote was that i wanted to see how the meta would adapt to it once the clearly broken stuff was gone, its clear now that there isnt the amount of adaptable viable answers so i'll be voting to ban it in the next vote

now im gonna share some sets:

Drampa @ Leftovers | Berserk
248 HP / 96 SpA / 116 SpD / 48 Spe | Modest
Hyper Voice / Draco Meteor | Fire Blast | Energy Ball | Roost

3 attacks roost drampa is sick, its like THE answer to all the scary fire and grass types in the tier right now, as well as just being a good special tank. Berserk is awesome and its really surprising how often you get passive boosts. Hyper Voice hits like a truck (even without max investment) and fire blast + energy ball is awesome coverage at breaking down the common balance cores you see right now. The EVs are to 3HKO AV slowking and 2HKO lefties slowking after rocks with energy ball, as well as KOing Rhydon + Steelix after hyper voice + e-ball / fire blast. The speed is for base 40s like rhydon but just please try out this set it really performs well as a glue on bulky offensive / balanced teams.

Magmortar @ Electrium Z | Vital Spirit
4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe | Modest
Fire Blast | Thunderbolt | Hidden Power Grass | Taunt

speaking of those scary fire types, a lot of people are just running steelix + jelli / slowking balance cores with those fat waters being the only good fire resists. This set aims to break through those commonly seem balance cores while using taunt to shut down fatter mons that it doesnt have super effective coverage on (it also helps out immensely against stall teams).

*not quoting fully because its a big post*

assuming you didn't give anyone else the team I played against you on a new alt and tbh the only mon that annoyed me was Vileplume and thats because my answer to it died, after it was your last mon it almost 4-0d me but in the end I pulled through. I wasn't really convinced at any point that the strategy was strong until I couldn't beat Plume with the mons I had left (iirc Toad, TTrum, Garbodor) except for one, and I misplayed quite a bit. Spiritomb which is a fotm mon rn also puts in so much work vs it. Its annoying as hell (idk if that translates to non-competitive) but it certainly doesn't seem stronf.

On Exploud+Necro

Both are obviously busted, Necro less so but still needs to go IMO. I'm usually very anti-ban and if I was able to be selfish I'd keep them but thats because they're stupid strong and so easy to use.

Carcy passed me this dope set that catches so much off guard

Necrozma @ Groundium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Autotomize
- Earthquake
- Psycho Cut

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Voting for week 2 is complete! You can see how everyone voted inside the hide tag, and keep in mind it takes a 60% majority for something to be banned. Also something to keep in mind when looking at these is that anything that was not banned can be brought up again by a council member in order to be voted on again so any result you disagree with isnt necessarily permanent. Our major goal with this is to get a tier as balanced as possible as fast as possible with retests of banned mons happening after. With that said, heres the voting:

In Conclusion: Exploud is now banned from NU Beta.

Exploud is simply too overwhelming a Pokemon for the NU metagame too handle. It's Choice Specs boosted Boombursts have very few switch ins in the tier and the few that exist can be dealt with in one hit by a coverage move, or fail to 2hko exploud before it can 2hko or 3hko them. Exploud also sports decent natural bulk which makes it extremely difficult to revenge kill with priority and even faster Pokemon can struggle to OHKO it.

You can all put your Mr.Mime's away now..

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
With Exploud getting banned I'm losing my opportunity to find a (good) replay showcasing this thing defensively checking it on balance/BO, but it is also really useful for Meloetta+loads of other shit so I might as well post it here.

Lunatone @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Power Gem
- Moonlight
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Lunatone is a very interesting Pokemon for me because, when using it, I found that it had all the characteristics that it needed to almost never do nothing while being capable of keeping what was the most threatening Pokemon in the tier very solidly in check, only fearing Surf (which is much more manageable with teammates than Boomburst is). My reason for picking this thing up in the first place came from me trying to find a specially bulky Boomburst resist with reliable recovery, and its combination of characteristics resulted in it actually being really appealing on balance and BO for me. It helped me patch up my issues switching into Exploud and Meloetta, it didn't completely sap momentum too much thanks to Toxic being able to threaten Pokemon which give it a headache and with its not-terrible firepower behind Power Gem, and it provided heaps of utility between Stealth Rock and its extremely useful set of resistances/immunities. While Solrock was preferable last gen due to its access to Will-O-Wisp and the prevelance of physically offensive Normal-types and Swellow (which didn't need anywhere near as much special bulk to keep in check as Exploud and Meloetta do), I think the fact that the metagame is much more split with regards to physical/special Normal-types nowadays, resulting in it no longer being mostly outclassed as a defensive Rock-type by it, and with it being able to carve a niche which is separate from other defensive Rock-types such as Rhydon and Regirock with its special bulk (compared to Rhydon), access to reliable recovery (compared to both), and access to Levitate (also compared to both).

I've not got replays to show you, but hopefully you can get an idea of the kinds of things it keeps in check with these calcs. Outside of just checking these it just generally does what any other utility 'mon would do and rarely feels useless.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Lunatone: 129-153 (33.5 - 39.8%) -- 21.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (RIP)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 136-160 (35.4 - 41.6%) -- 80.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (RIP)

Only really feared Surf from Exploud, and that can be taken advantage very easily by [insert good Water-type resist here]

252 SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Hyper Voice / Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 87-103 (22.6 - 26.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 155-183 (40.3 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Meloetta Twinkle Tackle (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 138-163 (35.9 - 42.4%) -- 92.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Meloetta Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 179-213 (46.6 - 55.4%) -- 16.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Meloetta Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 138-164 (35.9 - 42.7%) -- 94.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Healthy Lunatone only fears Specs Shadow Ball, Never-Ending Nightmare, and, if SR is up, LO Shadow Ball from it and can easily put it on a timer with Toxic or, if it's locked into a resisted hit, use it for free SR/recovery.

252+ SpA Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 76-90 (19.7 - 23.4%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 99-117 (25.7 - 30.4%) -- 1.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Magmortar Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 112-134 (29.1 - 34.8%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Magmortar Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 146-174 (38 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Magmortar just kinda crumbles vs. Lunatone. LO sets can be outlasted provided Lunatone is healthy or doesn't switch into HP Grass thanks to Moonlight, whereas AV variants aren't remotely threatening to Lunatone--both of which are more than you can say for Rhydon.

252 SpA Choice Specs Delphox Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 98-116 (25.5 - 30.2%) -- 0.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

If LO Delphox CMs or Grass Knots on the switch Lunatone is in a bit of a tough spot vs. Grass Knot variants, but with it having the capacity to switch into anything else it can throw at it with ease, it serves as a decent emergency check to it while shutting down Scarf/Specs variants really efficiently short of switching into Specs GK.

252 SpA Solar Power Charizard Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone in Sun: 278-328 (72.3 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Lunatone Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Charizard: 376-448 (126.5 - 150.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As long as Lunatone is healthy, Charizard isn't capable of setting up Sunny Day due to the fact that Lunatone is capable of taking a Solar Beam as long as it is healthy and OHKOs in return with Power Gem.

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 177-208 (46 - 54.1%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lunatone: 103-121 (26.8 - 31.5%) -- 24.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

A very consistent switch-in for LO Sigilyph thanks to its typing+bulk allowing it to take just about anything it can throw at Lunatone with ease. It needs to be careful of switching into EBall if SR is up, but if it is able to get in safely Sigilyph gets outlasted.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mesprit Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 84-99 (21.8 - 25.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Needs to be careful of switching into Signal Beam, but that's it.

+1 252 SpA Vivillon Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 184-218 (47.9 - 56.7%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Vivillon Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 141-166 (36.7 - 43.2%) -- 98.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Needs to be weakened substantially before Vivillon can even begin to think about taking it on.

+1 76 SpA Necrozma Hidden Power Bug vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 136-162 (35.4 - 42.1%) -- 87.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 76 SpA Necrozma Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 76-90 (19.7 - 23.4%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 76 SpA Necrozma Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunatone: 180-214 (46.8 - 55.7%) -- 18.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necrozma Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lunatone: 156-183 (40.6 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Dark Pulse Necroz is bad+Dark bait, but people still use it fsr so I'm gonna list it anyway. I guess it technically fears Black Hole Eclipse but, once again, that set is bad. It is able to take it on v. consistently and put it on a timer with Toxic. It's also a Psychic-type which doesn't fear boosted Tectonic Rage, so bonus points for that!

I could keep going but I think you get the picture. It does its fair share with regards to checking stuff in the meta.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Toxicroak @ Darkinium Z / Poisonium Z
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast
So I have been having a ton of fun with this core. It is reminiscent of the Toxicroak + Mega Houndoom core I used to use back in ORAS UU. This core accomplishes the same goal in that both of them have decent synergy for an offensive core since Toxicroak can bop Jellicent with Black Hole Eclipse, a common stop to it, while Houndoom can take of Steelix and Psychic-types for Toxicroak to set up and sweep. Obviously, this core isn't perfect as it has a huge Ground weakness and they are both pretty frail so they have to rely on their immunities (Dry Skin for Toxicroak and Flash Fire for Houndoom) to get safe switch-ins as even resisted hits take a chunk out of them. Good partners include Sigilyph or Whimsicott, as both appreciate ToxiDoom's offensive pressure, both are stallbreakers, while Sigi provides a secondary wincon.

Gotta say, I am loving the developing meta we have going on and I cannot wait to continue spending time with this wonderful new tier that is SM NU.
Also, first post in the thread, hooray for me!

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Powder
- Seed Bomb

This thing is actually really good at the moment, and I was really shocked at how it performed when I was messing around with it. It's not an original set by far or anything but I just had to share this mon because I haven't seen anyone use it, including in the ladder. 350 is a great speed tier to hit especially after the recent bans and flying/grass is actually a great offensive typing in the current meta too. This mon checks a plethora of things such as Virizion, Sceptile, and really anything slower than it lacking decent priority. It's also the fastest user of a sleep inducing move in the tier which is fantastic considering how offensive the tier is. The only downside is how initially weak it is before an SD or two, but it finds plenty of room to set-up and break holes.

I also wanted to share my thoughts on the meta at the moment. I think it's finally balancing out with the recent bans making it less offensive, although it still is very offensive, and after a few more bans I think we'll finally start seeing bulkier play-styles (bar the occasional stall team) re-emerge, which will be nice as it'll help to bring a little more variety to playing n.n

upload_2017-6-19_18-25-50.png

Honestly, eelektross imo is a mon that's slept on super hard right now. It's a really solid bulky pivot with a slow U-Turn that can bring in a lot of frailer mons like Accelgor and Sneasel in really safely and because of that fits nicely on the high paced offensive teams that the meta currently leans towards, and is a super useful check to a lot of stuff like Sceptile and Rotom-C that a lot of teams may not have a switchin outright to that can tank a hit and deal a shit-ton back. Plus its a really solid counter to Steelix which is literally on every other team and makes it an automatically solid utility mon.

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef or Atk / 252 SpA
Modest / Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Thunderbolt / Knock Off

some more sets for u guys :3

Druddigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 228 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Glare

Drudd kicks ass. Mold Breaker SR and Glare is sick, and mono Dragon-typing provides a lot of useful resistances too. This set works best w Spikes support from pokemon like Garbodor and overall does a great job at messing w/ teams that mainly rely on Xatu for hazard control. EV's look a little whack but HP hits a leftovers #, SpD with a Careful nature allows Drudd to almost always live 2 Specs Typhlosion Eruptions after SR, and Speed gets the jump on 50's like Audino and Piloswine. It's so ugly tho so consider that when putting it on your team.

Absol @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Tail

Someone already posted about Absol the king but I think this is easily the better set rather than Darkinium Z (especially Jolly). The damage output between the two sets is essentially identical:
+2 252 Atk Absol Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 247-292 (70.1 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 246-290 (69.8 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
and you still maintain the extra boost from LO afterwards, as well as allowing a different pkmn on ur team make use of a Z-crystal. Other sets utilizing moves like Pursuit, Fire Blast, and Superpower are cool too, and most of them fit best on offensive teams where Absol's lack of defensive utility isn't as important.

Emboar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Grass Knot
- Wild Charge

Not new by any means but it's rly good and I haven't seen it much. Use this to lure in pkmn like Slowking, Gastrodon, Seismitoad, Rhydon etc to clear the way for a cleaner later on. This set is almost always most effective when it's used to bluff Choice Scarf, so keep that in mind when using it if you want to get the most out of it.

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion

Solrock @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Morning Sun
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rock Slide

This thing stops normal types like its nothing (and bulky grounds) The buff to its HP helps alot with being a nice tank. Reliable recovery + Will-O-Wisp means that it can shut down a lot of physical attackers while being able to heal up next turn. Its a pretty decent rocker and rock slide isnt that weak either. Not saying its a great mon but I think its a good option.

Since the Exploud ban, I feel strongly about this as a replacement wallbreaker on some teams. While it doesn't have as spammable as a STAB as Exploud does, it has a better defensive typing and ability and still tears holes in balance and at minimum 2hkos most of the tier after stealth rock. Bug buzz/Tbolt/Energy Ball offer excellent neutral coverage among the tier and teams without a bulky ground resist just plain drop to Tbolt. Vikavolt also has the ability unlike Exploud and all the other special attacks in the tier to muscle through AV Slowking.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Vikavolt Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 324-384 (82.4 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 181-214 (46 - 54.4%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO

More calcs to represent strength even against decent spD mons:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Vikavolt Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Delphox: 262-310 (89.7 - 106.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Vikavolt Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hitmonlee: 241-285 (100 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Vikavolt Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hitmontop: 241-285 (79.2 - 93.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Bad replay but just for shows: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nubeta-593109091

Vikavolt @ Choice Specs
EVs: 192 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Bug Buzz
- Toxic

or in trick room:

Vikavolt @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Bug Buzz
- Toxic

So, it's been awhile since I've posted in NU. Good to be back. After a lot battling with other teams, I wanted to come up with my own teams and after watching hawlucha + Tapu Koko cores in OU (also used them) I ended up with up a couple decent cores that I find to be pretty fun.
Sceptile @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Acrobatics
- Frustration
- Swords Dance

or

Sceptile @ Grassy Seed
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Acrobatics
- Return/Substitute
- Swords Dance

Jumpluff @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Terrain
- Seed Bomb
- Memento
- Sleep Powder

That first one is Sceptile + Jumpluff Grassy Terrain core. Jumpluff is very fast and can get up grassy terrain very well for Sceptile. Jumpluff isn't entirely useless either as it can put foes to sleep with the powder. Memento is very useful in getting Sceptile in safely; memento can also be used for another set up sweeper that pair up well with Sceptile. Gaining instant unburden and +1 Def on switch or after memento is very clutch. This allows Sceptile to be the fastest threat on the field with moderate bulk (it's SpDf isn't too shabby) paired up with lefties recovery from the terrain + quad resist to eq + a boost to it's grass STAB (making it seem like an adaptability boost). The bulkier set is quite useful as it allows you to set up on more threats like non-roar Steelix and non-megahorn Rhydon. 100 EVs in speed allows you to outspeed unburden boost Hitmonlee. You could also use sceptile with self set up grassy terrain (over return/frustration); you would have to run 252+ speed to ensure you get off grassy terrain first. Substitute on Bulky Sceptile was Amane Misa's idea, Grassy Seed Sceptile is concept from Electric Hawlucha (I think njnp came up with that one), and self set-up Sceptile was Erisia's idea. Thanks also to Advantage for helping me out with a couple teams.

Hitmonlee @ Misty Seed
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Meowstic @ Terrain Extender
Calm Nature
- Misty Terrain
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Toxic/Light Screen/Thunder Wave

This core is not as strong as the first core but, still has some merit; Hitmonlee + Meowstic Misty Terrain core. The core is simple, set up misty terrain with meowstic and shove Hitmonlee right on in to get an unburden boost and +1 SpDf boost; you can also set up reflect or light screen to make sure hitmonlee comes in safer. Misty Terrain also allows Hitmonlee to dodge status moves like will-o-wisp, stun spore, or t-wave from prankster users like Sableye, Liepard, and Whimsicott. Hitmonlee is a fantastic attacker with a strong STAB and a good move pool so, double it's speed to make it a sweeper. You could also run a bulkier set with 20 EVs in speed (to ensure you out speed Accelgor) and rest in HP.
I really enjoy making new sets and coming up with new teams (like the z sets I posted in the beginning of pre-NU alpha) so, if you want someone to build with, let me know and I'll gladly help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)