Metagame NP: NU Stage 1- Criminal (Indeedee-F and Porygon2 banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Grassy Terrain:

With the addition of Grassy Surge Thwackey and Grassy Slide, there is a ton of potential to make Grassy Terrain teams in the same vein as other gimmicks like Sun and TR. However, Terrain isn’t that huge of a buff in most areas, and does not currently have any true abusers in the same way as Swift Swim, Weather Ball, Solar Power, and Solar Beam tend to be overpowered when in their respective weathers. Regardless, I’ll open the discussion of what I’ve seen and experimented with so far:

:thwackey: The Setter: While only an NFE, Thwackey still brings pivoting, priority, and a few other niches to the team. The biggest downsides are its mono-Grass typing and awful bulk if it’s running Terrain Extender, which it more or less should depending on how dependent the team is on Grassy Terrain. Knock Off, Taunt, Wood Hammer, and SD are also interesting picks for it. I don’t think Thwackey is as much of a liability as Vulpix was for Sun teams, but at the same time Sun had much better abusers to warrant it.

:flapple: Grassy Glide: This attack is +1 priority at 92 BP after the terrain buff, making it one of the strongest priority attacks in the game. Thwackey itself should probably use it given its poor Speed and vulnerabilities, and so should some of the team’s main wallbreakers. CB Hustle Flapple is likely the best, as it reaches an absurd power that is no longer set back by its middling Speed. This thing is so strong that it 3HKOs HDB Scyther in the terrian; that means a x4 resistant switch-in can only come into Grassy Glide once, as if it tries again it will be KO’d! This makes Flapple an awesome revenge killer and late-game sweeper, with the only obvious downside being the low accuracy of Hustle. Past that, its Dragon/Grass coverage with U-turn to boot makes it a very rewarding mon if played well / when it doesn’t miss. Other potential abusers include the Gourgeist forms, Treveant, Abomasnow, and Leafeon to name a few that could be worth exploring.

:lanturn: Support: Having likely at least two Grass-types on the team can be an issue defensively when the typing has a ton of weaknesses to cover. Thankfully, Grassy Terrain’s benefits of passive recovery and nerfing Earthquake pair nicely with additional support for the team. Lanturn is a big one as it can stay in on opposing Sandaconda and Piloswine and Scald, as EQ is no longer an issue. Its ToxicTect sets also appreciate the 12% recovery from the grass and Leftovers, giving it a ton of longevity. Silvally-Fire is a more offensive pivot that can help target defensive Grass-types while also having a boosted Grass Pledge against its usual switch-ins of Wishiwashi, Lanturn, and Sandaconda. Piloswine can run High Horsepower and still retain its Ground coverage while being a good rocker for the team. Garbodor likes the recovery and resistance to EQ not for Grounds but for physical attackers it can wall a lot better now like Toxicroak, Sawk, and Stunfisk-Galar (which is a Grass-type under terrain, and thus is weak to Gunk Shot lol).

Here’s a team I’ve used exploiting Grassy Terrain. These are the main pros of Grassy Terrain teams, and I can see them getting even better with potential drops and bans. Speaking of potential bans…

:scyther: :scyther: :scyther:
Scyther: By far the most dominating Pokemon in the meta is Scyther. It is the star player on the new VoltTurn teams that are taking over the ladder and team building. The Speed, power, and coverage are unmatched, as Dual Wingbeat threatens nearly any offensive pick slower than it, while walls fear Knock Off and U-turn. Knock Off is particularly concerning given that any wall that tries to wear it down over time with Rocky Helmet could lose its one tool to punish Scyther for pivoting around freely. This is so good for it as its decent natural bulk means that Choice Scarf users that are locked into unfavorable coverage like Iron Head Togedemaru, Shadow Ball Room, and even Gunk Shot Toxicroak can lose to Scyther 1v1 late game if it is completely / near healthy. Offensive VoltTurn teams are extremely punishing when they have such a fast and powerful mon, and limit team building as playstyles need to have ways to work around these threats less they dance around the team. Scyther may not have the obvious broken bulk of Porygon2 or wall breaking of Indeedee-F, but the qualities I mention above on top of facilitating the most overpowered play style at the moment make it a negative influence.

With tier shifts approaching soon, I'm just gonna post some final thoughts on some pokemon that fair well in the current metagme before things change. Been having lots of fun on the ladder trying out new things and seeing how myself and other people are adapting to all the new threats most noticeably Scyther.

478MS.png

Not many people speak on this mon but it has all the tools to be good right now, wish more people would use it on the ladder. It's naturally one of the fastest mons for revenge killing top threats. I personally prefer Icicle Crash over Triple Axel on the choice band set due to consistent damage, handy flinches and avoiding rocky helmet damage. It outspeeds and ohko's dangerous scyther and pressures balance with a powerful ghost stab with just 80 attack, anything you can't break, you have the option to cripple with trick. Sivally Water, Dragon and Gudurr pair nicely for hazard control options covering weaknesses. I think this thing manages to 3hko everything at worst bar Avalugg but that's not exactly a problem and Ice shard is the icing on the cake for random scarf mons or set up sweepers. Hope it gets more usage! :heart:

File:053AMS.png

Alolan Persian is doing better than before lately thanks to it's useful resistances to ghost/dark and utility and nascar speed. While It's not immune to Poltergeist, it's a nice deterrent and checks Gourgeist, Frosslass, GhostVally, and Golurk. Foul Play will easily do 60+% on HDB Scyhter and being able to keep momentum is a blessing.

Carkol icon

ok... I don't think it's great but I tested it out ladder as a Scyther counter and it works lel... Flame Body is bAsICaLlY a 100% chance to burn on contact which neutralises pests like Scyther, Togedemeru, Silvally Steel and Unfezant for example. 80/90/70 bulk + evio means you can take plenty of hits and Carkol also offers a small amount of utility setting rocks/spikes whilst simultaneously spinning. Yes it's lowkey a meme and it sucks to be weak to rocks and have exploitable weaknesses but it offers a tiny niche to beating to best pokemon in the tier. :>

303MS.png

Similarly to Carkol this has a great matchup on Scyther but happens to be more viable in overall. Yes, Scyther will Knock Off + U-turn but it's frankly never going to break Mawile's defences and typing.

510MS.png

Not a lot has changed for liepard but a 106 speed tier will always annoy Scyther, Rapidash and friends for revenge killing. It's still something to watch for crippling all switch ins with stab knock off, pivoting and surprising targets with coverage moves / priority.

Kadabra icon

idt anyone spoke on Kadabra here but it's a nice, balanced and fun addition to the tier. :> Having a lot of fun with a life orb / focus sash. Knock Off Is great last slot option crippling almost all checks bar Steelvally like Clefairy, Stunfisk and Toge. Psychic / Dazzling Gleam / Shadow Ball coverage do enough to most of the tier but counter sash is an option too fun some fun laughs. It's pretty speedy but it just sucks to sit in a crowded speed tier. e.e

211MS.png

Been trying this over Garbodor recently and its held its own. The part water typing comes in handy for better match up on steel, ghost and water types. The extra speed helps with Golurk, Abomasnow and Perrserker meaning you require less investment to outrun. Rocky Helmet + Intimidate shenanigans work nicely for yourself and your team. Qwilfish doesn't necessarily beat Scyther but it forces rocky helmet damage on the switch till it clicks knock off. Sometimes you can score extra damage on Dual Wingbeat.

435MS.png

You can probably run some defensive investment for Gourgeist since you resist both stabs but Skunk has been doing pretty good lately overall with relevant dark/ghost/grass/poison resistances. imo I've found myself pressured sometimes by special NP sets with its stabs and coverage but defog special is a good option too.

Eldegoss

@ no item. kind of viable lmao

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Miltank moved from OU to NU

Dedenne moved from OU to PU
Dunsparce moved from OU to PU
Emolga moved from OU to PU
Exeggutor moved from OU to PU
Golduck moved from OU to PU
Kangaskhan moved from OU to PU
Lickilicky moved from OU to PU
Lilligant moved from OU to PU
Lopunny moved from OU to PU
Lycanroc-Midnight moved from OU to PU
Marowak moved from OU to PU
Pinsir moved from OU to PU
Sandslash moved from OU to PU
Shuckle moved from OU to PU
Stoutland moved from OU to PU
Tauros moved from OU to PU
Wigglytuff moved from OU to PU

Cramorant moved from RU to NU
Decidueye moved from RU to NU
Dugtrio moved from RU to NU
Gallade moved from RU to NU
Vanilluxe moved from RU to NU
Weezing moved from RU to NU

New drops people.

We also lost Magneton but who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)