Hello everyone! NUBL Retests will be temporarily put on hold. After months of discussion and listening to feedback from the community, the NU Council has decided it's time Vileplume was given a formal suspect test!
Vileplume has been a mainstay in the tier since the beginning of the gen, however it rose to dominance following the discovery of its specially defensive set which shuts down an extensive and diverse range of Pokemon including but not limited to; Comfey, Sceptile, Whimsicott, Passimian, Steelix, Vikavolt, and Heliolisk. With access to a boosting move in 'Growth', Vileplume can muscle past almost any wall and shred through balance cores. Strength Sap allows it to neuter physical attackers that may try to break through it while also healing it at the same time. Strength Sap allows Vileplume to win unfavourable matchups versus many physical wallbreakers that dont have enough power to OHKO it in one swoop. To top things off, it has a fantastic ability in Effect Spore which has the potential to punish any contact moves with the threat of being statused for little to no risk, which can make dealing with Vileplume a real pain. Despite it being a defensive Pokemon with great bulk and an impressive typing, Vileplume has fantastic raw power, and is very difficult to switch into even without any offensive investment. It is so incredibly consistent at what it does that there is little to no risk in using Vileplume on any archetype. The positives and role compression it provides teams in one slot is astoundingly high, and it all comes with zero risk involved for the Vileplume user. Due to the lack of secure Steel-types in the tier, Grass / Poison coverage goes a long way, particularly in conjunction with a boosting move and recovery to muscle past most resists. This is a big reason why Vileplume itself is one of the best initial Vileplume switch-ins in the tier. Vileplume isn't without its flaws however, as it can easily be overpowered by Fire- and Flying types such as Incineroar, Delphox, Braviary, Vivillon, and Magmortar. It is also fairly slow, and can be worn down quickly if the opponent has ways to get around Strength Sap such as Xatu's Magic Bounce or bringing in Special Attackers with low Attack stats in as it attempts to heal.
This is a very important suspect test for the progression of the tier, and not everyone will have the same opinions on whether or not Vileplume should be banned, but we ask that you approach this with an open mind, and consider both sides of the argument before coming to conclusions. Feel free to discuss Vileplume and it's place in the metagame as much as you want in this thread, as it will be helpful in making an informed vote at the end of the suspect.
There will be no suspect ladder. Instead, we'll be using the normal NU ladder which will remain open for the duration of the test. A message will pop up at the beginning of ladder games to indicate that the suspect is going on. (Tagging Marty to implement, thank you!) Vileplume will be legal for the entirety of this suspect test. Anyone who wishes to participate in this suspect test will use a newly-made alt with a suspect-specific tag to indicate that you are trying to achieve reqs. The requirements for this suspect test are the following:
- All games must be played on the Pokemon Showdown! NU ladder on a new alt with the following format: "NUVAL (nickname)" For example, I might register the alt NUVAL Eternally to ladder with.
- Do NOT impersonate other people in your ladder alt, do NOT use any usernames which are offensive, flame-baiting, or targeting specific users, and do NOT use usernames which could be interpreted as breaking any of the username rules on Pokemon Showdown! Failure to abide to this will result in you being barred from voting in this suspect, and potential infractions.
- Do NOT ask for wins on the ladder or ask people to forfeit for your friend, you will both be infracted and barred from participating in the suspect test.
- To qualify for voting, your alt must play a minimum of 35 games, and achieve a minimum GXE of 82.
- No one liners nor uninformed posts;
- No inappropriate / meme posts that would be deemed off-topic.
- No discussion on other potential suspects;
- No discussion on the suspect process;
- You are required to make respectful posts