Metagame NP: NU Stage 2- Don't Start Now (Gallade Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
now that i have a bit more time i want to speak on the two mons that rw / ho3n discussed before the drops, and talk about how i see them in the tier rn, and hopefully spark some more discussion among more people as well.

:toxicroak:
croaks probably been the most reliable mon since the start of ss with its viability/calls for it to be banned since its just about dominated the tier since then. personally ive always felt it was more borderline, leaning towards dnb pretty much every time it came up on slate which led me to vote dnb each time. however its peaked over the last couple months i feel w/ how good it is, and how hard it is to prep for in the current meta. the main set im discussing w/ this here is the special set, though scarf is also very viable still and a very splashable form of speed control atm, but its nowhere near the level of special when it comes to how good it is in the current meta. theres very few things that can reliably switch into lo boosted moves from croak, and when it can np & threaten sweeps it can become even harder to deal with. a recent drop being weezing, who has turned into one of the more splashable defensive poison types in the tier, overtaking picks like garbodor/qwilfish, helps croak even more as weezing cant deal with special croak at all since it takes over 40 from lo focus blast, and cant threaten back unless it runs a move like psybeam (which is a dope filler if u guys want to try it out).

overall ive found the general powercreep the tier has had recently has just helped croak become even better, as its much harder to deal with it defensively compared to when it was one of the few breakers that had to be prepared with dedicated answers. especially with vacuum wave picking back up in usage on np sets, after already being common on aoa sets, its just hard to deal with in general. im still on the fence when it comes to croak at the end of the day, as it is not impossible to deal with when running faster ghost types like rotom/silv-ghost, or just not giving it a lot of room to come in and fire off attacks for free, but i think i am leaning more on the ban side than i have in the past.

:decidueye:
a more recent addition to the tier, decid has become one of the premiere offensive threads in the tier. decid mainly relies on its killer dual stab combination, with grass and ghost being excellent typings that compliment each other aside from a few common checks. this stab combination is not new for ss nu, with smallgeist also being one of the better offensive mons in the tier, but decids ability to use both physical and special sets, as well as be used in a more utility role is what sets it apart. specs is the most threatening of these sets, with specs leaf storm and shadow ball together being able to deal at least neutral damage to most mons, aside from sap sipper mons. specs leaf storm is particular is great for muscling through common ghost resists like persian-alola, and silvally dark. persian in particular would be an otherwise good check to any physical decid sets, however it just cannot handle special sets at all, which makes it that much harder to play around. the best check to decid by far is miltank, as its immune to decids dual stab combination, and does not take a lot from coverage like hurricane either. while it does only run toxic to hit decid with, that still is enough for it to beat it reliably, as theres no real way for decid to get around it without running suboptimal sets. because of this, miltank has become hard not to run on a lot of balanced builds, as otherwise they have a lot of trouble trying to deal with decid, since theres no real way to check all its sets aside from miltank. bouffalant is another recent addition to the tier that should also be able to check decid with sap sipper + normal typing, but the jury is still out on how viable the mon actually is, and whether or not it will actually be able to deal with decid in the long run since it takes a lot more from hurricane compared to miltank, and with no instant recovery like milk drink, it cannot really deal with decid in the long run.

overall i was also very on the fence with decid the last slate when we voted on it, and i think since then the more ive played against the specs set, the harder it has been for me to deal with it reliably when not running miltank/multiple dedicated answers. its very easy to switch it in on most ground type rockers, as well as the bulky waters of the tier in washi/lanturn, and more defensive mons like eldegoss. whlie it is a bit slow when compared to some other offensive breakers like rotom/basculin/toxicroak, base 70 still isnt that bad for the tier. it has become one of the largest strains on teambuilding so far in the builder, and despite there being good counters to decid like miltank, they still arent common enough and splashable enough (aside from tank) that its easy to prep for in the builder. im still on the fence when it comes to what i would vote, but i think like with croak im leaning more towards ban than i did when we voted on it during the last slate.

bans/the tier right now

for those who do not really follow other tiers, when usage stats dropped last month uu gained almost 30 mons, and ru also gained around that many mons this month when the usage stats dropped. this will likely result in nu also gaining a large amount of mons next month, due to the powercreep ru is facing, and that means that nu will be basically a brand new tier starting september 1st. when that happens Eternally and i have discussed dropping down all bl mons, and having council votes throughout the month similar to what uu has been doing.

beside that point, we still want to have one more vote this month, preferably within the next week, centered around the two mons i discussed earlier in the post, croak/decid. i want to hear what other members of the community think, and ill get more members of council to post their thoughts as well, but we likely will see one more vote before the tier completely changes next month.

new drops

also wanted to discuss the new mons to the tier a bit since i think a lot of the new additions have been really fun to play with, and are overall good additions for the tier, at least over the next month.

:accelgor:
alongside magneton, this is probably going to be the most viable mon that we've gained the month, and thats for good reason. offensive sets seem very potent atm, with throat spray sets already picking up popularity. the combination of unburden + the spa boost after using your stab gives accelgor the ability to clean up a game very quickly. with good coverage options to compliment bug buzz, theres focus blast for steels, sludge bomb for fairies, and even more niches options like mud shot to hit poisons like garb/toxicroak. defensive spike sets with boots + sticky hold also seem really strong in the metagame, with accelgor having a decent support movepool with options like recover/spikes/knock off/encore/etc that allow it to stick around long term, and not even having to be worried about losing its boots due to knock off/trick.

:magneton:
while we did lose silv steel, magneton is a very viable steel type that can pick up where silv steel left off in a sense, with being a more offensive steel for the tier. while it is a bit slower, it does get a lot bulkier with eviolite, and has a very good secondary typing which allows it to threaten a large majority of the tier. choice sets and eviolite sets are all really good, and its ability to eat a lot of physical hits, and then fire off strong attacks. we had this in the tier for a short time before, and i think it will once again be a very good pick in the metagame for offensive teams that want the resistances that it can offer them.

:luxray:
one of my favorite mons has joined the tier, and while i dont think it is as viable as the mons listed above, it still is a very fun mon to use. guts boosted facades hit really strong off the 120 base attack, and with good coverage options in superpower/crunch/wild charge, it also now has access to agility to potentially sweep offensive teams in the lategame.

:lurantis: :bouffalant: :ditto:
these three i also expect to be viable in the tier, though i havent used them myself so far, but they all seem to have a solid niche and will probably see a good amount of usage in the coming month.

tldr
i want to hear from the community on what they think of croak/decid, and how they feel about a council vote for them in the coming week.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
gonna post in defense of Toxicroak because I really disagree with any pro ban sentiment for it

Toxicroak has surged in popularity after a brief drop-off when Scyther was around; special sets (Nasty Plot and Choice Specs) are incredibly potent at wallbreaking because of coverage and raw power between Focus Blast and Sludge Bomb. Add in priority, good defensive utility, and Toxicroak's pretty good Speed tier, and it's obvious why it has cemented its position as a top three Pokemon in the metagame.

But I don't think it's worth banning. I think the primary reason is that while its Speed tier is solid, it's still below so many key threats that Toxicroak can struggle to find wallbreaking opportunities; Silvally formes, Rotom, Gourgeist-S, and Rotom-S to name a few are all really common Pokemon that give Toxicroak an immense headache because it simply can't safely wallbreak with them around. It's not fast enough to threaten them, while they all outspeed and drop Toxicroak on its neck (or just aren't threatened heavily enough in Rotom-S's case). Additionally, Toxicroak can struggle to actually spam its strong STAB moves at times because of Pokemon like these (and others) that resist or are immune to them. Sure, Toxicroak's defensive properties lend it more opportunities to safely get in, but it's not particularly bulky and is still a really risky switch-in at times; Wishiwashi commonly carries Earthquake, Silvally-Dark loves to run Psychic Fangs, Liepard can smash it with Psycho Cut. These are just a few examples of Pokemon that Toxicroak would love to switch into to take advantage of but simply cannot reliably.

I've seen some users complain about Toxicroak's set versatility, claiming the ability to go physical or special makes it too hard to prepare for, but I find this take lacking. Physical Toxicroak is nearly unviable in my eyes right now, with all-out attacking sets not named Choice Scarf being stonewalled by too large a portion of the metagame and Swords Dance sets struggling to actually clean. While I've seen people claim Weezing's increased presence is good for special Toxicroak, I struggle to agree because it's not really hard to justify special bulk investment or, as rozes said, running Psybeam---the last moveslot is pretty much just filler anyway. I also don't really agree with Qwilfish dipping a bit in usage being good for Toxicroak---quite the opposite. The most Qwilfish was ever doing to Toxicroak was paralyzing it, and special Toxicroak has always and will always exploited the hell out of the spiky fish.

Unless we see a mass exodus of the Ghost-types and other fast Pokemon NU has to offer, I don't see a world in which Toxicroak needs to be banned.

some other thoughts:

:togedemaru: Togedemaru is not a great option at the moment, largely because it's too weak to actually pick off common setup sweepers and isn't being relied on to soft check as much anymore. It's just really underwhelming as a Choice Scarf user and probably should see a decrease in usage.

:kangaskhan: Kangaskhan has not given a fuck about Cofagrigus being in the tier; it's easily the second best wallbreaker right behind Toxicroak. It's also nice to have something that arbitrarily fucks on offense.

:silvally: There's very little reason to use a Silvally forme other than Dark, Dragon, and Poison right now. Water is no longer good at sweeping, and the defensive utility it offers became much less useful months ago. Ghost is fine enough but struggles to set itself apart from Gourgeist-S and Decidueye because of their Speed and immediate power, respectively. Fire is just depressing to use at this stage, and Ground is, as far as I can tell, a bad meme perpetrated by two users that think Miltank and Clefairy are the only options for Stealth Rock setters. A tough scene truly.

:basculin: Hype seems to have reduced a bit for this Pokemon. It's still rather solid, but people don't seem as up in arms about it somehow being worth ranking in A+ on the VR.

new mons look cool, Accelgor is probably unviable again but I'll let people think it's good for a week or so before making a post detailing why it's not kekw

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Regarding :Toxicroak:

I believe the special sets are a bit too strong for the tier right now. Specs, Nasty Plot, and even All-Out-Attacker Life Orb go a long way towards breaking through teams. There are a handful of one-time checks to it and a lot of cores can force it to predict well, but ultimately there are not enough durable checks and/or counters to Toxicroak. For the longest time, we saw Choice Scarf see more usage than other set, the metagame focus more around other offensive options, or forms of counterplay see more usage in the metagame, but right now it feels as if Toxicroak's true effectiveness is finally showing. I do wonder if this perceived broken status will last as there were certainly points in the metagame prior to this that made me feel like Toxicroak was just really good rather than too much, but I think we have to tier the metagame as we see it currently and it could always be re-tested down the line. Personally, I would vote ban if we had a council vote or suspect on Toxicroak.

Regarding :Decidueye:

I feel less strongly about Decidueye than I do Toxicroak, but I am still leaning towards ban. I want to hear more input from others (post your thoughts!!!), but I do believe the set we should be looking at is Choice Specs. Choice Specs forces things like Miltank or very particular defensive backbones with Eldegoss, which is an unwanted building restriction in my eyes. However, it is still slow and does not have the best defensive typing, o there are ways to minimize it. I am on the fence mainly because I do believe there is some counterplay, both on the offensive and defensive end, but I am not sure if this is a sufficient amount of counterplay or not at this point.

Regarding Rabia

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Gonna agree with rozes and finch here. I think the aoa set is the most threatning one cause it has everything at its disposal, powerful stabs, the prio and shadow ball to nail ghost types. Scarf is still a very relevant speed control option just wanna ensure that. The lack of defensive switchins makes the special set problematic. On the other hand, there are a number of offensive checks that outspeed and KO it but im not sure if that warrants it staying in NU.
Additionally, Toxicroak can struggle to actually spam its strong STAB moves at times because of Pokemon like these (and others) that resist or are immune to them. Sure, Toxicroak's defensive properties lend it more opportunities to safely get in, but it's not particularly bulky and is still a really risky switch-in at times; Wishiwashi commonly carries Earthquake, Silvally-Dark loves to run Psychic Fangs, Liepard can smash it with Psycho Cut. These are just a few examples of Pokemon that Toxicroak would love to switch into to take advantage of but simply cannot reliably.
Quick reply to this part of Rabia s post. Like i said earlier i think the aoa set is the most threatning one and i dont think it struggles to spam moves at all. Sludge wave and focus blast are very difficult to switch into even for resists. Shadow ball ohkos rotom for example. Most people know by now they should switch croak carefully but there are still some popular mons like eldegoss, clef, ferro and persian it can switch into pretty freely.
I know that speculating future metas isnt the play but the meta will look completely different next month. So idk if having another vote on these is necessarily needed as it's not completely clear if croak and decid are banworthy or not.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 84 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Magnet Rise
- Teleport

This has been one of my favorite niche/gimmick sets to use; it's designed to mess with most defensive Magneton responses in the tier, especially those that are expecting Specs Magneton. Magnet Rise allows Magneton to easily beat the likes of Piloswine and Sandaconda 1v1 (Magneton is even immune to Sanda's Glare), and even potentially dodge slower Ground attacks like Stomping Tantrum Garbodor, or Golurk/Bouffalant Choice-locked into EQ, but most importantly, it allows Magneton to stuff Galarian Stunfisk, which leads to the next move: Teleport not only lets Magneton retain the ability to pivot against Lanturn switch-ins, but even against a Ferroseed/Galarian Stunfisk 1v1 , you can use Teleport's negative priority to absorb their Leech Seed/Yawn as you swap to your breaker risk-free, or gain switch advantage against Togedemaru's U-turn. Perhaps the cheekiest aspect of this set is that even Magnet Pull can be sorta viable on it, just to screw with unsuspecting Galarian Stunfisk & Ferroseed switch-ins even more by letting your breaker come in for free.

Accelgor @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Spikes
- Final Gambit / Recover
- Encore / Knock Off / Recover

A different take from the Life Orb / Throat Spray / insta-suicide Accelgors running around; I'm of the opinion that "bulkier Accelgor" has a niche somewhere. The set is still a work in progress, but the general idea is that Accelgor is actually decently competent at tanking the weaker hits of the meta and turning them into advantage, especially with the disruptive tools at its disposal. That said, Accel can actually survive some of the stronger attacks in the meta if it has to, such as not being OHKOed by LO SmallGeist's Poltergeist, Choice Band Froslass Poltergeist, and even Adamant Silk Scarf Kangaskhan's Double-Edge, and sometimes being a fast mon with the ability to survive a hit like this can be the difference breaker for offensive teams to capitalize on. This Accel has been my go-to switch-in against traditionally annoying Pokemon like Alolan Persian, Cofagrigus, Malamar, Gurdurr, etc., and does a pretty fine job at tripping all of them up while also getting Spikes on the field and Final Gambiting something after a hard day's work. Encore is usually my main disruption tool, but Knock Off has also proven decent since a lot of mons that switch into Accel are rather item reliant, particularly Rotom. Recover can be nice for keeping Accel alive to check things longer, and comboes well with both Final Gambit and Encore.

Last edited:
yah got like 0 sample team threads cmon guys, im tryna learn this tier. shout out finch tho

Basculin @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Flip Turn
- Surf

Rapidash @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Toxicroak @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball

Rotom-Fan @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Persian-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Toxic
- Foul Play
Basculin chips bulky waters and Silvally-Dragon for Rapidash to sweep. You can also flip turn on incoming grass types and be threatening w/ Rapidash and Toxicroak.

Ninjask
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Hattrem (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Nuzzle
- Mystical Fire
- Healing Wish

Abomasnow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 8 Def / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

Stunfisk-Galar @ Leftovers
Ability: Mimicry
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
- Protect

Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- U-turn
- Psychic Fangs
- Swords Dance

Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
Ninjask is the ladder goat.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Froslass (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Cursed Body
Jolly Nature
- Poltergeist
- Triple Axel
- Spikes
- Taunt

Kangaskhan (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Volt Switch
- Nasty Plot
- Will-O-Wisp

Persian-Alola @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Parting Shot

Silvally-Dragon @ Dragon Memory
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Flame Charge
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
HDBs are broken lol

Decidueye @ Choice Specs
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Leaf Storm
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Vacuum Wave
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Silvally-Dark @ Dark Memory
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Flame Charge
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Parting Shot
Standard Specs Decidueye team. You could switch the Silvally typing around to throw off opponents you've already faced.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Vacuum Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot

Accelgor @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball

Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Milk Drink
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Parting Shot

Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- U-turn
- Psychic Fangs
- Swords Dance

Decidueye @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 84 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
I gotta throw in a team with Miltank for ya

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion

Basculin @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Flip Turn
- Surf

Rapidash @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Toxicroak @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Persian-Alola @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Toxic
- Foul Play
Basculin chips bulky waters and Silvally-Dragon for Rapidash to sweep. You can also flip turn on incoming grass types and be threatening w/ Rapidash and Toxicroak.

Ninjask
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Hattrem (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Nuzzle
- Mystical Fire
- Healing Wish

Abomasnow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 8 Def / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

Stunfisk-Galar @ Leftovers
Ability: Mimicry
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
- Protect

Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- U-turn
- Psychic Fangs
- Swords Dance

Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
Ninjask is the ladder goat.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Froslass (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Cursed Body
Jolly Nature
- Poltergeist
- Triple Axel
- Spikes
- Taunt

Kangaskhan (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Volt Switch
- Nasty Plot
- Will-O-Wisp

Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Parting Shot

Silvally-Dragon @ Dragon Memory
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Flame Charge
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
HDBs are broken lol

Decidueye @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Leaf Storm
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Vacuum Wave
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Silvally-Dark @ Dark Memory
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Flame Charge
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Jolly Nature
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Parting Shot
Standard Specs Decidueye team. You could switch the Silvally typing around to throw off opponents you've already faced.
appreciate u!

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
yah got like 0 sample team threads cmon guys, im tryna learn this tier. shout out finch tho
had you been subscribed to fabled YouTuber Lord Rabia, you would have access to every team I use in my NU Live recordings! what a shame I truly feel let down. because I am a man of the people, though, I will still oblige.

:toxicroak: :alcremie: :miltank: :weezing: :togedemaru: :decidueye:
https://pokepast.es/c4a32b7067a86e87
Nasty Plot Toxicroak + Calm Mind Alcremie sounded fun because of how good the former is at chipping bulky Poison-types for the latter. There are a lot of moveset variations that can be done too: Weezing can be made physically defensive with some other move > Psybeam, Alcremie should be physically defensive (probably best done with Choice Specs as Decidueye's item), and Togedemaru can... probably be replaced with a better Pokemon.

:toxicroak: :decidueye: :miltank: :rotom: :persian-alola: :silvally:(ground)
https://pokepast.es/cade20ea82b84995
Choice Specs Decidueye is really good at wallbreaking for Choice Scarf Toxicroak to clean late-game. Additionally, I think it has pretty nasty synergy with Swords Dance + U-turn Silvally-Ground, easily finding opportunities to come into battle against foes like Sandaconda, Weezing, and Wishiwashi. Alolan Persian EVs outspeed Froslass and take a Choice Specs Rotom's Thunderbolt from full I think.

:magneton: :decidueye: :weezing: :sandaconda: :silvally:(dark) :alcremie:
https://pokepast.es/64f0fa8a4320dc46
This is really just some standard-ish balance built around Magneton. Team has some wack shit going on here, but it's fun and works pretty well.

:accelgor: :skuntank: :abomasnow: :silvally:(dragon) :golurk: :drednaw:
https://pokepast.es/b4bffe9086018837
This is Throat Spray Accelgor hyper offense because... I felt like it. Theoretically Nasty Plot Skuntank and Rock Polish Golurk can help remove Poison- and Ghost-types for it.

Glad you've been enjoying our tier! Please never use Lanturn sole Ninjask answer again :(

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Suddenly this thread has more teams and activity than the NU Bazaar! LOL! Not that I'm complaining, as I'm all for more teams and discussion. I also would recommend the RMT channel in the NU Discord, as that has been an easy and accessible way to dump teams while also getting live feedback. Here's my latest submission to the bazaar for what its worth. These teams helped me in the latest rounds of NU Seasonal and got me to a 1678 peak on the ladder.

I've already said my piece on Toxicroak and Decidueye, and not much has changed since that post.

The meta imo is decently balanced, although I and others like to call it the "Alolan Persian Meta" due to that mon being super centralizing as defensive glue for so much. The revelation that it running Heavy-Duty Boots makes it near untouchable was also a huge buff for it, and in general pivoting teams that have ample entry hazard immunity or control are the best and most consistent in the meta. Thus it may not be Alolan Persian itself that is an issue.

There's currently high-viable offensive and defensive pivots to chose from to bring in faulty yet hard-to-check wallbreakers. There's CB Golurk and Choice Specs Decidueye that can either Trick or U-turn on their limited switch-ins. Even something like Choice Specs Mageneton isn't stopped by Lanturn thanks to it also having Teleport to pivot when needed. There's also just a limited amount of ways to punish these faster, offensive pivots like Ninjask, Accelgor, Togedemaru, Silvally formes, Rotom formes while they safely bring in wallbreakers and simultaneously pose as cleaners late-game. Meanwhile, defensive pivots like Alolan Persian, Wishiwashi, and Lanturn have enough bulk to do there job just as well. I don't think Heavy-Duty Boots are exactly the issue here, and that item isn't as relevant as it feels like it is in higher tiers. If anything, NU has so many good entry hazard setters that there would be a bigger issue with it gone due to the tier's limited removal and prevention options.

What I'm trying to open up is a discussion for the acknowledging all the pivot-centric teams and playstyles that have been in control of the meta for months now, and if there's any concern for their unhealthiness. After a rough count, I believe about half of all our viable mons utilize U-turn, Volt Switch, Parting Shot, Flip Turn, or Teleport on viable sets. I'm not sure what the basis is to compare this to, but you can see how VoltTurn teams have ton of viable, interchangeable threats.

Before I go, I understand if this feels like a non-issue to a lot of players, as I am open to that understanding as well. Note that I'm really just trying to get the ball rolling in the direction of what I feel is the most viable and potentially broken aspects of the current meta, as I don't specifically think it's a single mon like Decidueye or Toxicroak.

Last edited:

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
We're trying to avoid posting sample teams right now because of how volatile the meta is. DLCs really fuck everything up for a meta and it's hard for the meta to settle when everything is changing so quickly. Since everything is changing every other week, it's hard to post up a set of sample teams that will even be somewhat decent because everyone is practically just as new to the NU meta as someone who hasn't played it before.

I appreciate you Joey, remind me to resub this month

What's up, people of NU, its ya boi, Monky25. I've been following the oddesy of DLC throughout the lower tiers and since shifts are coming up in a week, I thought I'd breather some life in this thread by offering speculations about which pokemon can potentially drop from RU these coming shifts. I'll only really touch on why these pokemon are dropping and offer brief thoughts about what they can contribute to the tier. I'll leave it to the rest of you to talk about which of these may be broken, which NUBLs will be fine after these shifts, or drops that will make the most change in the metagame. Anyway, lets get started.

Ghosts of Pre-DLC past
1598369256942.png
1598369347471.png
1598369288500.png
1598369316054.png
1598369341685.png
1598369517643.png
1598369307182.png

All of these pokemon were once stable parts of the RU metagame, but sadly suffered due to the inevitable power creep that dlc created in the tier. Most of these pokemon are straight up unviable in the RU VR, and yes, usage does not reflect viability (looking at you Jolteon) but I still feel that all of these mons have lost their usage in favor of mons that perform their roles better. Whimsicott and Sabeleye struggle to distinguish themselves as prankster abusers after Klefki dropped in the tier, who is vastly better than both of them. Silvally steel faces competition from copperajah, bronzong, and steelix as steels, who all fell last shift and silvally is now outclassed by them. Pincurchin is worthless now that alolan raichu, its best abuser, has left the tier. Galvantula faces too much competition from better webs setters like araquanid and ribombee. Lastly, cinccino, aromatisse, and galar corsola simply suck right now due to the power creep caused by DLC. I belive that all of these mons except pincurchin (just use thwackey) will be solid additions to the NU tier. Whimsciott and sabeleye can act as prankster leads, sillvally steel returns and offers the tier with a strong steel, galvantula can act as a sticky web lead and fire off strong electric and bug attacks, galar corsola will be a tank, but its pretty passive so im unsure how well it will do. Cinccinio does its skill link choice band things, and aromatisse provides the tier with a bulky wish passing fairy.
Breakers Galore
1598369273884.png
1598369387259.png
1598369432321.png
1598369506572.png

All of these pokemon are powerful set up sweepers or breakers that can cause some serious damage, but struggle in RU for various reasons. Clawtizer is outclassed by Inteleon, who is a faster, harder hitting version of itself. Eggy alola was once a top tier threat, but the steels returned and new fairy, poison, and dragon types could easily take advantage of it, causing it to be unviable. Frosmoth needs to set up to be a strong threat, but pokemon like salazzle, copperajah, ninetales, lycanroc, and rhyperior make it too hard for frosmoth to set up, meaning its dropped in favor of stronger breakers, making this an ideal mon that will drop. Lastly, blastoise first fell from UU to RU due to being outclassed by cloyster, which fell from OU to UU. Now, blastoise struggles to beat bulky waters like miltoic and mantine that fell alongside it, making it a suboptimal breaker and another mon that makes sense to fall off. All of these pokemon hit very hard in the tier, and someone could argue that any of these coming in would be broken, I don't play NU too much so I cant make a case about which will be fine or not, all i know is that these will be strong special breakers or powerful set up sweepers that will leave a major impact on the tier.
Rockers Incoming
1598369281265.png
1598369329486.png
1598369426415.png
1598369471386.png
1598369478144.png

Last shift, UU brought now options to Ru in the from of rockers. bronzong, rhyperior, and the return of steelix made all of these pokemon severely drop in usage, as there was no merit of using them over these other rockers. Also, lots of bulky waters returning and even water breakers like barraskweda and inteleon being ubanned meant these pokemon would have a hard time staying used in RU. Now, these pokemon are barley clinging onto viability, which indicates that these all may drop these coming shifts. These all offer new options in rockers which was only really held by sandaconda, allowing for a variety of new setters depending on what the team needs. Mudsdale can also go offensive with its strong coverage options. All of these are likely to make a very big splash should they drop, which is very likely.
A slow start
1598369323559.png
1598369442537.png

Both of these pokemon came out with the dlc dropping and started in UU rather than the lower tiers they were suited for. Both of these pokemon have struggled to perform well in the tiers they've been in so far, with comfey struggling to deal with steels and poliwrath facing competition from other bulky waters. It will be interesting to see how they will perform. Nu is starved of steels, so maybe comfey will perform well. Poliwrath gas to watch out for decidueye, but it will be interesting to see how it competes with lanturn and wishiwashi. Tbh i don't think either of these will be too impactful compared to some of these other drops.
Hail the Hail
1598369335334.png
1598369461315.png
1598369486003.png

Alolan sandlash and vanilluxe as an hail archetype struggle in RU due to gigalith sand and ninetales sun. Furthermore, sandslash's typing and stats are horrible defensively, meaning that as a standalone pokemon it struggles greatly. Vanilluxe is likely to return, and alongside vikavolt, they will both end up in NUBL instead of NU. I wonder if they will stay banned or can be fine now with the increased power creep. Hail is likely to get better with a strong abuser in alolan sandslash and a better setter in vanilluxe, so it'll be interesting to see how hail develops.

EDIT: After more discussion with several of my peers, there are some more drops from RU to NU that are honestly the most unlikely out of all the stuff I've listed, being jellicent, gastrodon, duraludon, and drampa. The former 2 face much more competition with other bulky waters in RU, while the latter 2 face competition from dragons like dragalge and goodra, and duraludon also faces competition from steels like bronzong and copperajah. These can drop, though they'd be the least likely to drop these shifts.

All in all, here are my speculations for drops from RU to NU. Thanks for reading this. I'm excited to see how the cascade of dlc is impacting every tier, with this one coming very soon. Any of you are welcome to respond to my thoughts on whether you agree or disagree with any of my predictions.

Attachments

Last edited:
What's up, people of NU, its ya boi, Monky25. I've been following the oddesy of DLC throughout the lower tiers and since shifts are coming up in a week, I thought I'd breather some life in this thread by offering speculations about which pokemon can potentially drop from RU these coming shifts. I'll only really touch on why these pokemon are dropping and offer brief thoughts about what they can contribute to the tier. I'll leave it to the rest of you to talk about which of these may be broken, which NUBLs will be fine after these shifts, or drops that will make the most change in the metagame. Anyway, lets get started.

Ghosts of Pre-DLC past
View attachment 271483View attachment 271495View attachment 271487View attachment 271490View attachment 271494View attachment 271507View attachment 271489
All of these pokemon were once stable parts of the RU metagame, but sadly suffered due to the inevitable power creep that dlc created in the tier. Most of these pokemon are straight up unviable in the RU VR, and yes, usage does not reflect viability (looking at you Jolteon) but I still feel that all of these mons have lost their usage in favor of mons that perform their roles better. Whimsicott and Sabeleye struggle to distinguish themselves as prankster abusers after Klefki dropped in the tier, who is vastly better than both of them. Silvally steel faces competition from copperajah, bronzong, and steelix as steels, who all fell last shift and silvally is now outclassed by them. Pincurchin is worthless now that alolan raichu, its best abuser, has left the tier. Galvantula faces too much competition from better webs setters like araquanid and ribombee. Lastly, cinccino, aromatisse, and galar corsola simply suck right now due to the power creep caused by DLC. I belive that all of these mons except pincurchin (just use thwakey) will be solid additions to the NU tier. Whimsciott and sabeleye can act as prankster leads, sillvally steel returns and offers the tier with a strong steel, galvantula can act as a sticky web lead and fire off strong electric and bug attacks, galar corsola will be a tank, but its pretty passive so im unsure how well it will do. Cinccinio does its skill link choice band things, and aromatisse provides the tier with a bulky wish passing fairy.
Breakers Galore
View attachment 271485View attachment 271497View attachment 271499View attachment 271506
All of these pokemon are powerful set up sweepers or breakers that can cause some serious damage, but struggle in RU for various reasons. Clawtizer is outclassed by Inteleon, who is a faster, harder hitting version of itself. Eggy alola was once a top tier threat, but the steels returned and new fairy, poison, and dragon types could easily take advantage of it, causing it to be unviable. Frosmoth needs to set up to be a strong threat, but pokemon like salazzle, copperajah, ninetales, lycanroc, and rhyperior make it too hard for frosmoth to set up, meaning its dropped in favor of stronger breakers, making this an ideal mon that will drop. Lastly, blastoise first fell from UU to RU due to being outclassed by cloyster, which fell from OU to UU. Now, blastoise struggles to beat bulky waters like miltoic and mantine that fell alongside it, making it a suboptimal breaker and another mon that makes sense to fall off. All of these pokemon hit very hard in the tier, and someone could argue that any of these coming in would be broken, I dont play NU too much so I cant make a case about which will be fine or not, all i know is that these will be strong special breakers or powerful set up sweepers that will leave a major impact on the tier.
Rockers Incoming
View attachment 271486View attachment 271492View attachment 271498View attachment 271502View attachment 271503
Last shift, UU brought now options to Ru in the from of rockers. bronzong, rhyperior, and the return of steelix made all of these pokemon severely drop in usage, as there was no merit of using them over these other rockers. Also, lots of bulky waters returning and even water breakers like barraskweda and inteleon being ubanned meant these pokemon would have a hard time staying used in RU. Now, these pokemon are barley clinging onto viability, which indicates that these all may drop these coming shifts. These all offer new options in rockers which was only really held by sandaconda, allowing for a variety of new setters depending on what the team needs. Mudsdale can also go offensive with its strong coverage options. All of these are likely to make a very big splash should they drop, which is very likely.
A slow start
View attachment 271491View attachment 271500
Both of these pokemon came out with the dlc dropping and started in UU rather than the lower tiers they were suited for. Both of these pokemon have struggled to perform well in the tiers they've been in so far, with comfey struggling to deal with steels and poliwrath facing competition from other bulky waters. It will be interesting to see how they will perform. Nu is starved of steels, so maybe comfey will perform well. Poliwrath gas to watch out for decidueye, but ti will be interesting to see how it competes with lanturn and wishiwashi. Tbh i don't think either of these will be too impactful compared to some of these other drops.
Hail the Hail
View attachment 271493View attachment 271501View attachment 271505
Alolan sandlash and vanilluxe as an hail archetype struggle in RU due to gigalith sand and ninetales sun. Furthermore, sandslash's typing and stats are horrible defensively, meaning that as a standalone pokemon it struggles greatly. Vanilluxe is likely to return, and alongside vikavolt, they will both end up in NUBL instead of NU. I wonder if they will stay banned or can be fine now with the increased power creep. Hail is likely to get better with a strong abuser in alolan sandslash and a better setter in vanilluxe, so it'll be interesting to see how hail develops.

EDIT: After more discussion with several of my peers, there are some more drops from RU to NU that are honestly the most unlikely out of all the stuff I've listed, being jellicent, gastrodon, duraludon, and drampa. The former 2 face much more competition with other bulky waters in RU, while the latter 2 face competition from dragons like dragalge and goodra, and duraludon also faces competition from steels like bronzong and copperajah. These can drop, though they'd be the least likely to drop these shifts.

All in all, here are my speculations for drops from RU to NU. Thanks for reading this. I'm excited to see how the cascade of dlc is impacting every tier, with this one coming very soon. Any of you are welcome to respond to my thoughts on whether you agree or disagree with any of my predictions.
I agree with all of these and jellicent gastrodon duraludon and drampa look very likely. Duraludon with 120 Spa nukes almost every thing and drampa with its 135 Spa and jellicent and gastrodon are good bulky waters that can check and wall many things. I would also like to give my full list:
aromatisse cincinno gastrodon claydol clawitzer coalossal corsola galar drampa eggy a duraludon frosmoth exploud galvantula hitmonlee jellicent scrafty mudsdale rhydon runerigus sandslash alola tauros vanilluxe vikavolt whimsicott xatu pinurchin poliwrath sableye silvally steel comfey blastiose and maybe ninetales

AllTerrainVen0moth

Banned deucer.
I have a feeling, if Kingler doesnt go RU this time, we should retest it. It doesnt look that OP when looking at the current meta, especially with the new tier shifts.

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
I have a feeling, if Kingler doesnt go RU this time, we should retest it. It doesnt look that OP when looking at the current meta, especially with the new tier shifts.
Our plan is to unban everything in NUBL once the tier shift hits, and basically start fresh similar to what UU did a few months earlier. It's a perfect opportunity for us to broaden the power level of the tier, monitor previously broken Pokemon and hopefully find a place for them amongst all the new additions we'll be getting soon.

AllTerrainVen0moth

Banned deucer.

Ghosts of Pre-DLC past
View attachment 271483View attachment 271495View attachment 271487View attachment 271490View attachment 271494View attachment 271507View attachment 271489

All of these pokemon were once stable parts of the RU metagame, but sadly suffered due to the inevitable power creep that dlc created in the tier. Most of these pokemon are straight up unviable in the RU VR, and yes, usage does not reflect viability (looking at you Jolteon) but I still feel that all of these mons have lost their usage in favor of mons that perform their roles better. Whimsicott and Sabeleye struggle to distinguish themselves as prankster abusers after Klefki dropped in the tier, who is vastly better than both of them. Silvally steel faces competition from copperajah, bronzong, and steelix as steels, who all fell last shift and silvally is now outclassed by them. Pincurchin is worthless now that alolan raichu, its best abuser, has left the tier. Galvantula faces too much competition from better webs setters like araquanid and ribombee. Lastly, cinccino, aromatisse, and galar corsola simply suck right now due to the power creep caused by DLC. I belive that all of these mons except pincurchin (just use thwackey) will be solid additions to the NU tier. Whimsciott and sabeleye can act as prankster leads, sillvally steel returns and offers the tier with a strong steel, galvantula can act as a sticky web lead and fire off strong electric and bug attacks, galar corsola will be a tank, but its pretty passive so im unsure how well it will do. Cinccinio does its skill link choice band things, and aromatisse provides the tier with a bulky wish passing fairy.
Breakers Galore
View attachment 271485View attachment 271497View attachment 271499View attachment 271506
All of these pokemon are powerful set up sweepers or breakers that can cause some serious damage, but struggle in RU for various reasons. Clawtizer is outclassed by Inteleon, who is a faster, harder hitting version of itself. Eggy alola was once a top tier threat, but the steels returned and new fairy, poison, and dragon types could easily take advantage of it, causing it to be unviable. Frosmoth needs to set up to be a strong threat, but pokemon like salazzle, copperajah, ninetales, lycanroc, and rhyperior make it too hard for frosmoth to set up, meaning its dropped in favor of stronger breakers, making this an ideal mon that will drop. Lastly, blastoise first fell from UU to RU due to being outclassed by cloyster, which fell from OU to UU. Now, blastoise struggles to beat bulky waters like miltoic and mantine that fell alongside it, making it a suboptimal breaker and another mon that makes sense to fall off. All of these pokemon hit very hard in the tier, and someone could argue that any of these coming in would be broken, I don't play NU too much so I cant make a case about which will be fine or not, all i know is that these will be strong special breakers or powerful set up sweepers that will leave a major impact on the tier.
Rockers Incoming
View attachment 271486View attachment 271492View attachment 271498View attachment 271502View attachment 271503
A slow start
View attachment 271491View attachment 271500
Both of these pokemon came out with the dlc dropping and started in UU rather than the lower tiers they were suited for. Both of these pokemon have struggled to perform well in the tiers they've been in so far, with comfey struggling to deal with steels and poliwrath facing competition from other bulky waters. It will be interesting to see how they will perform. Nu is starved of steels, so maybe comfey will perform well. Poliwrath gas to watch out for decidueye, but it will be interesting to see how it competes with lanturn and wishiwashi. Tbh i don't think either of these will be too impactful compared to some of these other drops.
Hail the Hail
View attachment 271493View attachment 271501View attachment 271505

I've been thinking, and here's my personal opinions on the drops.
:exeggutor-alola: We probably arent getting this thing. It was being used a lot in RU before Drampa got unbanned up there.

:rhydon: We'll get this back, certainly, but expect to lose it again once Rhyperior goes OU due to being overhyped

Everything in C+ thru C- on the RU VR currently we're likely to get.

:exeggutor-alola: We probably arent getting this thing. It was being used a lot in RU before Drampa got unbanned up there.

:rhydon: We'll get this back, certainly, but expect to lose it again once Rhyperior goes OU due to being overhyped

I disagree. Eggy a is outclassed by dragalge and goodra. Second rhyperior will certainly not rised its used in ou but not enough for it go to ou. Third drampa got unbanned at the very start so it doesnt even matter and that was last month. Lastly, VR ranks mean nothing in terms of usage whatsoever. Its true that probably most of those will drop due to usage but vr ranks dont rrly play a part. I think at least 30-35 mons will drop tbh aswell.

I'd also like to disagree. While rhyperior is a viable pick in OU, it is nowhere near getting the usage it needs to rise. Also, eggy alola was used a lot last month, which doesn't matter anymore. It's been outclassed by dragalge who dropped from UU and drampa and goodra, who got unbanned at the BEGINNING of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)