Even though it was just banned, Snorlax is being dropped down and retested almost immediately back into the NU tier. Similar to how we dealt with Glastrier earlier on in the year, we found that process worked great with how we wanted to deal with new drops the council was unsure on, especially when important tours are going on.
Onto Snorlax itself. In it, we see a Pokemon that really only has one main set that will see use on a majority of teams that it is on: Curse. CurseLax is one of the bulkiest sweepers that the tier has had to face and is able to quickly grab boosts to become almost impossible to KO, with good coverage in Darkest Lariat and Heat Crash or even Sleep Talk to remove the passive turns Rest creates. In combination with a good ability in Thick Fat, it makes up for its mono-Normal typing, giving it resistances to Fire and Ice. This not only helps it in its efforts to sweep or set up, but it also lets Snorlax better check any Fire- and Ice-types and Pokemon that run that coverage.
However, Snorlax is not without its flaws. Before setting up, Snorlax is very vulnerable to physical attacks as its natural Defense is not that great. This means that it is not able to set up on quite a few Pokemon, and it has to be careful when trying to switch into them; it's nearly useless when faced with certain foes like Diancie and Escavalier, among others. Snorlax is also more susceptible to hazards than a lot of other Pokemon, since it cannot afford to drop Leftovers for Heavy-Duty Boots. This means if any entry hazard is on the field, Snorlax's longevity and ability to find setup opportunities are severely cut into. Its typing also does it no favors, as mono Normal only provides it with a Ghost immunity, and even though it has Thick Fat, there are not a ton of Ice- or Fire-type attackers in NU.
While Snorlax can run other sets like Choice Band, overall most of the reasons to keep or ban it will come down to the Curse set, which is why that was the main focus of the OP and what we imagine will be the main focus of the thread. That is not to say Choice Band is a bad set but mainly that it does not add a lot to Snorlax's viability or reasons that it would be considered banworthy. Snorlax also provides the tier with an additional ghost resist, and a more defensively inclined one as well. This helps it add more to the tier than most traditional breakers, and helps it have a niche due to the numerous Ghost-type attackers in NU.
Reading this is mandatory for participating in the suspect test. The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 79 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 79 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 83. Also, needing more than 50 games to reach 79 GXE will suffice. **It is now 79 GXE**
- You must signup with a newly registered account on Pokemon Showdown! that begins with the appropriate prefix for the suspect test. For this suspect test, the prefix will be NULX. For example, I might signup with the ladder account NULX shiloh
- Laddering with an account that impersonates, mocks, or insults another Smogon user or breaks Pokemon Showdown! rules may be disqualified from voting and infracted. Moderator discretion will be applied here. If there is any doubt or hesitance when making the alt, just pick another name. There are infinite possibilities and we have had trouble for this repeatedly. If you wish to participate in the suspect, you should be able to exhibit decent enough judgement here. We will not be lenient.
- We will be using the regular NU ladder for this suspect test. We will not be creating a new Suspect Ladder. At the beginning of every battle, there will be an announcement denoting the ongoing suspect with a link to this thread.
- The aspects being tested, Snorlax, will be allowed on the ladder.
- Any form of voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will be handled and sanctioned.
- Do not attempt to cheat the ladder. We will know if you did not actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied.
- The suspect test will go on for two weeks, lasting until October 19th at 11:59 pm (GMT-4), and then we will put up the voting thread in the Blind Voting subforum.