np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here I am, doing the grunt work for our Pokemon overlord reachzero :P

Round 4 was definitely a crazy one with some unexpected voting results. Three of the four weather inducing abilities were voted on, but none could reach a simple majority, with Drizzle receiving the closest vote. Arguably, this result was expected. The Pokemon vote that followed however, could hardly have been predicted. Latios and Deoxys-S, both Pokemon that received a simple majority in Round 3, did a complete 180 and didn't even come close to following that up with a second simple majority. I guess that's why we have the current system in place, isn't it? Excadrill was the Sanjaya of the group, except without the crazy hair to pull the joke vote. Think about it Excadrill. Thundurus took all Latios's and D-S's uber swagger and came just short of the supermajority. Thundurus will automatically be suspect at the end of the round, and if it receives a second simple majority, it will be banned from OU.

Of course, the biggest result was the banning of Garchomp. Garchomp is now Uber and has been banned from the Standard OU ladder. You will be missed, Garchomp. Sorry, I had to. Anyway, will this be Thundurus's last round? Are we going to vote on Excadrill for the fifth time? Will Reuniclus re-enter the suspect pool after training in 100x earth's gravity? We'll soon find out!

Couple big changes in the structure this round:

1. Most importantly: the rating requirement for voting is going to shift back to a static 1450. No more 15+15. While a solid system on paper, with the addition of decay, it no longer serves its primary purpose and the brain trust has unanimously agreed that a static number is better suited for determining the voter pool.

2. The length of the suspect test is shrinking back down to 4 weeks. We agreed that 5 weeks is far too long, especially when there's an automatic suspect to be voted on patiently waiting for its fate to be determined. You wouldn't want to keep Thundurus waiting, would you?

So to put that in the nice bullet-point format that Phil did last round:

• Sunday, September 18th @ 11:59 PM EST: Suspect Testing Round 5 Ends. A screenshot will be taken at this time to determine the eligible voters. The Voter Identification/Suspect Nomination Thread will then be posted shortly thereafter.
  • Thursday, September 22nd: Special Applications are due.
  • Sunday, September 25th @ 11:59 PM EST: Nomination/Identification Period ends and voting begins.
Also I would like to note that the brain trust had a very heated discussion on the new thread name. Enter Sandman was a possibility, as was Thunderstruck. But eventually Sandstorm was chosen because it is relevant, and we just love getting down to some techno beats.

Hopefully this next round is equally techno boss! Have at it!

Round 5: Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the Sandstorm....
I was ALMOST right on the title.........

but yeah, I agree with this- it was either him or sand Veil, and he was the only major abuser worth noting.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
It's time to get serious. Time to make a sand team centering around the almighty Earth bender Landorus. With scarf chomp out of the way, I also have a lot less to worry about when team building in general. No more random hp ice on certain pokemon either.

As a fan of Tornadus, I don't think I'll be rewarded as well for using thundurus...rain will still be a popular playstyle.

Oh hey, sun just got rid of an enemy roadblock too. No more garchomp setting up substitute on Ninetales and screwing over certain team members.

Really? Chomp again? I've never had problems dealing with him...

But if I had so say, Thundurus or Weather needs to go. It's almost ridiculous.

Alice

The worst taste in music
Oh hey, sun just got rid of an enemy roadblock too. No more garchomp setting up substitute on Ninetales and screwing over certain team members.
Volcarona says hi. Scarfchomp was one of the better checks, now there's only landorus left...

Sand is the last thing I think as "broken". The only thing that is close to broken is Excadrill, which I don't have trouble with, as it has no Priority. Tyranitar is 4x weak to Fighting, the most common type in OU. Hippowdon isn't very troublesome as it provides almost no offensive presence, and most special attacks can kill it. Landorus is still, not a problem as any user of Ice Shard or Aqua Jet can easily kill it.

Thundurus is another problem, as it is very overpowered. Giant offenses, blistering Speed, and Prankster all make it an offensive threat. Resisting Fighting is also a great thing for Thundurus. STAB Thunder in the rain is amazing coming off a 125 Special attack with no drawbacks in Rain. It also has a giant movepool, and the worst part is that it can hit walls with Physical attacks, like Hammer Arm.

Drizzle is the last thing I wan't banned. Thunder isn't very good as most of the abusers (*cough* Thundurus *cough*) will be banned next round. And other Pokemon with Thunder don't have STAB, so it isn't very overwhelming.

Latios should be banned, it's Draco Meteor's can KO almost all of OU, and if my guess is correct, 2HKOs Chansey / Blissey, including the stat drop. The worst part is, that it doesn't mind to be locked onto it's STAB moves, as no Pokemon is immune to it, and only one type resists it. And I don't think it would change the metagame much, as Hydreigon would happily take it's place.

Sand is the last thing I think as "broken". The only thing that is close to broken is Excadrill, which I don't have trouble with, as it has no Priority. Tyranitar is 4x weak to Fighting, the most common type in OU. Hippowdon isn't very troublesome as it provides almost no offensive presence, and most special attacks can kill it. Landorus is still, not a problem as any user of Ice Shard or Aqua Jet can easily kill it.

Thundurus is another problem, as it is very overpowered. Giant offenses, blistering Speed, and Prankster all make it an offensive threat. Resisting Fighting is also a great thing for Thundurus. STAB Thunder in the rain is amazing coming off a 125 Special attack with no drawbacks in Rain. It also has a giant movepool, and the worst part is that it can hit walls with Physical attacks, like Hammer Arm.

Drizzle is the last thing I wan't banned. Thunder isn't very good as most of the abusers (*cough* Thundurus *cough*) will be banned next round. And other Pokemon with Thunder don't have STAB, so it isn't very overwhelming.

Latios should be banned, it's Draco Meteor's can KO almost all of OU, and if my guess is correct, 2HKOs Chansey / Blissey, including the stat drop. The worst part is, that it doesn't mind to be locked onto it's STAB moves, as no Pokemon is immune to it, and only one type resists it. And I don't think it would change the metagame much, as Hydreigon would happily take it's place.
Such an uninformed claim. I surely hope you don't judge the tiering of a pokemon based on your guesses.

I have no problem with anything other than Drizzle. I'll be looking to get rid of that this round.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It is finally time for Landorus to shine!!!
Also now Venusaur can get away even more without running Grass stab because Garchomp is gone!!!

The set i am talking about is this:
Venusaur@Life Orb
Rash or Naive
EVs:don't know yet
-Growth
-Sludge bomb
-EQ
-Hp Fire

This set can kill every single poke at top 10 easily,except Garchomp.Tyranitar,Heatran die to EQ,Scizor,Ferrothorn,Jirachi,Excadrill and Gliscor die to Hp Fire and finally Rotom-w and Reuniclus gets killed by Sludge Bomb!!!
A +2 positive natured,max special attack evd venusaur using hp fire and holding life orb in sunlight against max/max hp/s.def Jirachi deals:96.5% - 113.9%!!!
Isn't this awesome???
The special wall not even thundurus could kill gets ohkoed by this beast!
Now with Garchomp gone Venusar has all the reasons to ignore his main stab!
In fact there isn't even one single poke resisting all of fire,poison and earth moves in ou!!!How convenient for our little venusaur...?
The only kos that venusaur misses are that on bulky waters like jelicient and vaporeon(which get 2hkoed either way and can't do much if they lack ice beam or wow in case of jelicient,and the ko on Hippowdon which can take even a +2 hp fire if he is at top shape.
But to me the fact that venusaur now can kill all of the dragons and balloon-less heatrans seems terifying!

I think this round will be the demise of drizzle and thundurus..... Rather unfortunate because I think drizzle adds a lot of diversity to the metagame....

For the first time, I will work hard to achieve voting rights and avoid this from happening :)

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
It took me 40 minutes to get to 1200. This shouldn't be that hard with Chomp long gone. Although rating decay is annoying....

NEGATIVE 3 MAKING A COMEBACK

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How is he a counter???
physically defensive quagy gets 2hkoed by focus blast and how can exactly a quagsire ohko thundurus?
Also specially defensive quagsire doesnt seem good to me as his s.defence is low enough for it to be 2hkoed by strong special attacks anyway.

So you either waste your amazing potential to wall physical threats if you go for specially defensive quagy,or you risk losing to thundurus 50% of the time(the chance of fb hitting twice) since you get 2hkoed by fb if you are physically defensive...
It doesn't seem worth the time to me...

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Volcarona says hi. Scarfchomp was one of the better checks, now there's only landorus left...
Well, scarf terrakion is more effective against volcorona, but hopefully, I won't be seeing him too often.

Grass Knot>Quagsire. Thankfully, most thunderos don't run it.

Thundurus does have access to Grass Knot. It is rarely used, but a 4 attack LO set could employ it to decent effect (Hippo, Quag, Swampert).

How is he a counter???
physically defensive quagy gets 2hkoed by focus blast and how can exactly a quagsire ohko thundurus?
Also specially defensive quagsire doesnt seem good to me as his s.defence is low enough for it to be 2hkoed by strong special attacks anyway.

So you either waste your amazing potential to wall physical threats if you go for specially defensive quagy,or you risk losing to thundurus 50% of the time(the chance of fb hitting twice) since you get 2hkoed by fb if you are physically defensive...
It doesn't seem worth the time to me...
You need to try Mamoswine, Gastrodon, Starmie. Not that hard

I think he meant gastrodon.

My vote is definitely going for Thundurus, though. Priority subs, Np, and neutral coverage with two moves is just too much to handle.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Whose to say Quag cant simply use Stockpile on turn 1, recover on turn 2 and continue on until nothing short of a powerful crit can beat it. Also, at +3 SpDef you'll find that Waterfall is more than suitable for killing off Thunderus.

This is going to be good. Time to abuse Thundurus like a baws, since it's pretty easy to take out the few counters it has and take out everything with Thunder in rain / Thunderbolt and HP Ice. Sub and NP getting priority is also pretty good. To be honest this is the first time I have thought Thundurus should be gone.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Also I would like to note that the brain trust had a very heated discussion on the new thread name. Enter Sandman was a possibility, as was Thunderstruck. But eventually Sandstorm was chosen because it is relevant, and we just love getting down to some techno beats.
Oh come on, we all know Thundurus won't last another round for us to have a Thunderstruck thread, that was our only chance =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)