Metagame NP: RU Stage 10: Levels (Entei Unbanned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Barbaracle @ Rockium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Liquidation
- Substitute / Low Kick / Protect / Aerial Ace

Can we talk about this Pokemon for a second? My experience with the current RU meta is pretty limited but i think this guy right here is extremely good right now. It's absolutely terrifying late game due to the fact that it outspeeds pretty much everything relevant after a Shell Smash, and outside of say, Honchkrow Sucker Punch and Golisopod First Impression, it can take a lot of the common priority moves in this meta even after the Defense drop (think like, Zydog/Entei Extreme Speed, Doublade Shadow Sneak, Gatr/Golisopod Aqua Jet, and Medicham/Pangoro Bullet Punch here). Despite being so difficult to revenge kill outside of certain priority moves after a boost, it's also astonishingly powerful too, +2 Continental Crush is devastating, and Tough Claws boosted Liquidations aren't too shabby either. This raw power allows it to not just function as a cleaner late game, but lets it be a pretty good breaker in a lot of matchups early/mid game too. Due to its solid bulk before a Shell Smash, it's not too difficult to set up either, especially in a metagame where Entei is so popular (although you risk the Sacred Fire burn). All 4 moves listed in the last slot are moves that i think are worth giving a shot. Substitute blocks status and gives Barbaracle a strong tool to use against Honchkrow trying to revenge kill it, Low Kick OHKOs Registeel and Virizion after a Shell Smash (you can OHKO the latter with Continental Crush too, but this ensures that you don't have to waste your Z-move to do so), alongside that, it also deals heavy damage to Bewear, which Barbaracle strongly relies on Continental Crush and some prior damage to break through otherwise. Protect prevents Golisopod from revenge killing Barb with First Impression (although Aqua Jet can still pick it off), and Aerial Ace nails Chesnaught.

So uh, yeah, overall i think this Pokemon is pretty awesome and i think it deserves more recognition for how much of a threat it can be.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
OK PEEPS, LETS TALK CURRENT METAGAME.

Sorry for the caps but Im rather curious to see what are people thoughts about the current metagame that we are going through atm. Id honestly admit that I have felt the Entei effect pretty badly but maybe that hasnt been the case for everyone and I certainly want to explain why. And Im curious to see if anyone if having the same or similar issues with anything.

I believe Entei has kind of destroyed the strict balance there was before but not itself, but by the dynamic direct relationship it has with other fire types like ninetales and maybe even Salazzle and Moltres. Teambuilding feels pretty restraining in a sense that you have to be overcompensating for fire types a lot given some considerations. Being able to switch into the fire types at least once isnt enough cause when you add Entei into the equation you sometimes end up having to have more than 2 fire resists (and some are forcibly to be defensive) since Entei has this move called Sacred Fire so you need to have a Fire Resist that doesnt remain useless when burned while taking into consideration the other fire types. So having a rhyperior that was somewhat enough. Trying to adapt to it isnt necessarily a bad sympthom per say but going all that far to overcompensate just feels wrong if you ask me. Ofc if we didnt had Entei we would still have Emboar but at least Emboar isnt faster than a pretty decent portion of the metagame and doesnt have espeed and a move that can cheese your own checks 50% of the time.

That type of effect has made Noivern really good since being able to outspeed many of the fires naturally is super duper crucial in teambuilding and gives lots of freedom at the time of handling threats offensively or defensively depending of the scenario (altho it can probably still lose to HP Ice Ninetales). Ninetales isnt exactly a Pokemon that cant punish your shit for having just 1 fire resist or shaky ones (as a matter of fact it does... very harshly) but you can still take a potential specs overheat in the face and apply pressure to it if it is the nasty plot variant and salazzle very similarly. Entei just punishes you by literally spamming sacred fire and you better pray you have some of the few things that make Entei think twice about pressing Sacred fire, and that makes many offensive dynamics a ton specifically, since most of the things that cover that issue are defensively oriented and not something you can fit on offense so willingly without compromising some elements (I have a rather strict definition of offense and what works on it, and to me Slowbro is rather shit even with Entei but thats just my opinion).

I firmly believe Entei is re-suspect worthy at this point. Since the result was very close, a revision is totally fair in this situation but Im also fairly certain that most of the pain come from a rather cursed symbiotic relationship between Ninetales and Entei that just cant keep going. Seeing an Entei vs Ninetales match is... a rather interesting game ngl. Im on a side that dont consider Ninetales broken since it was pretty dominant past meta but hardly broken at all, just pointing that out since some other find ninetales too disgusting to face and kind of broken (it is disgusting to face ngl, but not to the degree of like "OMG, GET RID OF THIS THING") and it is part of the teambuilding "problem" I see.

With begs the question: What are your guys thoughts about the current meta? Isnt like I want to go on a witch hunt but just looking for empiric data in the form of opinion. I believe Entei, some say Ninetales, some other even find Mega Blastoise plenty ridiculous and/or constricting so share your thoughts about that. So Im asking for some feedback to see if there are other people with this problem (or Im just a crazy bitch that likes to complain about everything, thats a possibility) but seeing what other people think is important to see if we go on the same direction or we take a different path when moving forward with RU as a whole community.

And to make this post not be only like "Im looking to ban something!" and to see that despite some issues there are some good metagame progressions to discuss, I will mention some mons that are thriving as good options in the metagame, or have some notable niches than make them usable.

Outspeeding Entei is phenomenal for a physical rock type, and the speed tier, coverage, and priority to bop stuff like Salazzle and Noivern make it a lovely pick for offense atm if you ask me. LO is preferred cause Accelrock can kill offensive noivern after rocks (defensive isnt a threat to it), but Lycanium Z isnt slouch.

Super punishing win condition that appreciates certain metagame trends. Bronzong dropping a bit thanks to pursuit surge makes it much more appealing since other steel type options like Regi and Mega Steelix just drop to focus blast or fightinium Z. Electrium Z is pretty solid too since it can remove Milotic or Mega Blastoise for any other that appreciates them removed.

Super fire glue for offensive teams atm. To think it was so underappreciated. The offensive steels (Escav and just this basically) can be included here since they make for good wincons since they allow certain adaptation like SD Pursuit (for both) that let it provide more utility to teams besides the resistances. Sturdy Rock and Fighting Resist against Tyrantrum and Viriz and good win condition that can clean teams in the lategame if you have something that let it setup for free (like Registeel). Good mon!

Other cool mons for other niche reasons are like: Tsareena (certainly underappreciated, huge annoyance against golisopod offense teams since Dark, Grass, Fight coverage can be a pain to switch into. Can pivot around and spin, and can punish the trend of most slower mega blastoises). Gigalith (can be run as Adamant with EQ to punish "free" mega steelix switch-ins and one of the few that can punish most fire types together thanks to Sand Stream since it can screw over Ninetales). And others.

Also yeah, Barbaracle is super cool!

Cheers! Cya around!

Last edited:

Nat

is a Top Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
Let me preface this post by saying that the intentions of this post are good-natured, and it's meant to be respectful. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I probably was a little too brief last time when I lightly touched on my stance w/ entei while responding to a question about shaymin. Accordingly, here's an in-depth analysis of my thoughts on Entei in the metagame and, to a more crucial point, why Entei deserves to be re-suspected.

Entei & How it Affects the Meta: An Overview

Before going into the specifics of how Entei sizes up to the rest of the tier, it's probably best to shortly cover what it brought to the meta that was new. For a very obvious starter, Sacred Fire brought to the table a challenge the tiers typical offensive fire resists (Tyrantrum, Aerodactyl, Flygon, and others) had great difficulty with. Extreme Speed banded from a 115 base attack mon is pretty threatening to offensive would-be checks that aren't very bulky (we have a lot of them in the tier) but outspeed Entei. Stone Edge and Stomping Tantrum are good neutral coverage moves that can ohko/2hko some of the decent typical fire resists. Flare Blitz hits ridiculously hard from cb entei, and picks up quite a few ohkos that Sacred Fire leaves to a roll or otherwise can't. Just because I don't think I'll be covering this specific point later, mons under this category include Pangoro, Nidoqueen, Meloetta, Drapion (almost guaranteed), Machamp, Necrozma after rocks, and others. This isn't the only relevance Flare Blitz carries, as often times the bonus power it offers can be incredibly crucial in landing KOs midgame/lategame. It's also one of the only mons in the tier that can successfully utilize drastically different movesets. CM Entei and Vintei both have merit, though mostly just CM Entei imo. Some prime Entei counters (think bulky waters) become fodder if you happen to be vsing the uncommon CM Entei. That's basically what it does in the tier, so now I'd like to get into what beats Entei, what doesn't beat Entei, and everything between.

Good Entei Counters

These three bulky waters to me are easily the best physical Entei counters in the tier. Milotic and Slowbro eat anything Entei would care to throw their way and happily scald away, among other moves. Pyukumuku is in a similar boat, though obviously can only retaliate with toxic/block/soak (or recover). The first one of these three I'd like to address is Slowbro. Slowbro, to me, doesn't have a large niche outside of being an inferior Milotic. I personally don't find it incredibly viable since it struggles significantly more vs the harder hitting special attackers of the tier, while Milotic can reasonably cover most mons specializing in physical or special attacks. That being said, Slowbro is still a very viable Entei counter, and arguably better than Milotic in some ways. I still don't think it's very easy to justify throwing it on a team vs just using milotic, though in a vacuum it handles physical Entei incredibly well. Branching from this, Milotic is probably the best Entei counter in the tier. It handles physical Entei as well as Vintei, so long as you're using refresh Milotic in regards to Vintei. Even special Entei isn't a guaranteed loss for Milotic, due to its incredible natural bulk+haze being such deterrents. Lastly, Pyukumuku is probably the weakest Entei counter of these three. It handles the damage just fine, though can't do much in retaliation to generally harm Entei teams imo. To elaborate, Entei is usually paired with mons to obviously patch up what it can't cover. While Milo and Slowbro can attack when Entei switches out, Pyukumuku is pretty much at the mercy of any likely counter. It's predictable, and easy to react to. If you have general answers, you don't have to worry about a scald burn, or a psychic, or even a toxic. It just doesn't have the power to punish Entei and by extension Entei teammates when countering imo. The issue of Entei team composition also plagues Milotic to an extent, as it's very easy to pair Entei with one of the tiers many Milotic counters. Offensive grasses, other Milotics, Dry Skin users, Kingdra, Noivern, and many others are viable Entei partners that have no issues with Milotic, depending on the set being used by Milo.

Rest Snorlax, conveniently paired with thick fat, acts as a pretty convincing Entei counter. Thanks to its incredible bulk and 50% fire resist, Standard CurseLax avoids any 2hko from full hp. That being said, Stone Edge does 38-45% with Flare Blitz not far behind at 34-41%, so it can tricky if you're trying to counter Entei from nonfull-hp. Being the mon it is, people happily throw Snorlax at damage as a sponge, and it isn't uncommon for Lax to be lingering around 60-70%. It's certainly not enough to counter Entei, though it can still happily check Entei. However, realizing this and catching Lax using rest isn't difficult, and you can use this for easy momentum in whatever way works. This is all hypothetical and stuff, as Lax is still one of the tiers best and only Entei counters. As a last note, Recycle Lax can work vs entei relatively ok, as long as you're facade. Taking an average of 70% vs Flare Blitz is pretty scary though, and doesn't exactly allow for an easy counter even from full.

This is about all there is for viable Entei counters, and they for sure have their flaws. Most notably, they're all relatively passive pokemon. In this relatively offensive meta we're currently in (please stay away mantine) being passive can and often is exploited.

Not Good Entei Counters

We'll start with probably the most commonly named Entei counter that simply doesn't live up to expectations in this respect. No-HP stoise doesn't handle Entei at all, as Stone Edge is literally a 75% chance to 2HKO. Flare Blitz does 85-99 in 2 hits, and even Sacred Fire does 70-82 in two hits, risking burn as well. HP-invested stoise handles Entei a little better, depending on the investment. Using the very generous amount of HP the calc set provides, Entei has a very tiny chance to 2HKO w/ Stone Edge. All 3 of Enteis other moves 3HKO this stoise that's already invested to a generous degree. Essentially, stoise can counter espeed/stab locked entei once, and then can only effectively exist vs Entei as a check. This is of course ignoring hazards, even though stoise likely switches into hazards anyway as it's the sole remover on the team more often than not. It just isn't reliable in a tier where wishpassing clerics are fairly ineffective.

These two are considered decent Entei resists, though in reality are in a worse boat than stoise. Ampharos is essentially 2hkoed by Stone Edge, while suffering a chance of 2HKO vs Flare Blitz. This is of course if Entei isn't already running stomping tantrum, which does a devastating 74-87 to amphy. In return, Amphy has no way to OHKO Entei, while stoise generally does. Dragalge fairs even worse as a defensive answer, as an offensive variant is easily 2hkoed by Flare Blitz, while suffering a potential 2HKO vs either Epseed or Sacred Fire (accounting for burn). Tantrum doesn't OHKO, though it does most likely KO after drag takes a round of rocks. The standard "defensive" Dragalge spread doesn't help, since it just adds negligible hp and spdef. Physically defensive Dragalge just isn't viable to me, it accomplishes nothing of significance outside of countering Entei while weakening yourself vs a host of threats that make bulky drag (spdef) barely viable to begin w/.

I'm lumping the two bulky grounds together since they're in a relatively similar realm here, though Rhyp handles Entei better. We'll start with Gligar though, who is one of the premier defensive mons in the tier and a hallmark for being a physical attacker repellent. Max Defense Gligar eats any moves with relative comfort. Flare Blitz maxes out at 80% after two hits, so it's a pretty decent counter if you aren't already weak. That being said, Sacred Fire is the real killer for Gligar, as a burn can be very bothersome. Outside of burned Gligar not even 3hkoing Entei with Earthquake, a burned Gligar loses a tremendous amount of presence in any given game. While it isn't as useless as other burned switchins that offer only offense viability (Flygon, Tyrantrum, others), it gets relegated to the role of solely passive support. An immediate reaction is that Gligar is just fine as non-damaging support, though I'd argue it makes games vs offensively-weak grounds pretty annoying, like Toxicroak/Barbaracle/Dragalge/Drapion and even Lycanroc, among others. It can still function as a pokemon, though it becomes a passive easy-to-abuse sitting duck. Rhyperior fairs a little better, since it takes almost nothing from any of attack Entei can throw out. That being said, burn is very annoying to a mon that can pretty much only get rocks up post-burn. It falls into the group of mons Entei uniquely can render near-useless despite offering negligible damage to them. Mind you, special Entei completely devastates Rhyperior, and it isn't the easiest thing to spot on teams unless it reveals a move.

Geez, Does This Monster Have Any Flaws?

The main valid point in my mind as to why someone would find Entei fair is that a plethora of offensive checks exist within our meta. Scarf Tyrantrum, Mega-Stoise, Noivern, Zydoge, and Aero are probably the best offensive checks in the meta. There are other relatively good offensive checks, though I don't exactly think that they're ideal for different reasons depending on the mon (espeed ravaging them while they don't OHKO is a main one for most of them though). The main gripe any Entei supporter could have is that it gets outsped by a portion of the RU meta. Despite this, many of the best Entei answers, like the bulky waters listed above, are handled by Enteis teammates. For example, Milotic goes together very well with Entei. Milotic handles pretty much every mon listed above, with Zydoge Noivern and Tyrantrum giving it the most issue, though Noivern less so if you're packing ice beam. Tyrantrum doesn't really count since that mon is utterly ridiculously to switch into, as I've been saying for awhile now.

In contrast to what threatens Entei from a check perspective, what does Entei threaten within the meta? For starters, the always present steel types. Steels don't fear any mon in the tier more than Entei arguably. Grasses also are threatened by Entei, though less so since some of our offensive grasses like Roserade or Virizion can at least notch off 50-60% before they die. Shaymin can hurt the fire dog with earth power, though I'd argue quite a few Shaymins aren't running ep anymore, as psychic and air slash have become more popular along w/ synthesis. Another group of mons that struggle vs Entei is literally almost any slower offensive mon in the tier that hasn't been mentioned and isn't Kingdra. No, really. Gardevoir, Bewear, Nidoqueen, Pangoro, Rotom-C, Toxicroak, Honchkrow, Linoone, Venusaur, Medicham, Machamp, Hoopa, and any other grass type dies to Flare Blitz. Most of these die to Sacred Fire. Even Emboar is 2hkoed by Flare Blitz. Ninetales (97%-115%) literally dies to Flare Blitz. The list goes on, but I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from by now.

This just about does it for my explanation as to how I feel about Entei relative to the current meta, so now I'll explore an even more appropriate reason for Entei to be suspected.

The Freedom, the Aftermath, and the Future

For those who are unaware, Entei was freed under very uncommon circumstances. When Entei dropped to RU alongside Mienshao and Mega-Houndoom, the council decided to ban all three of them. The exception here was that Entei was to be publicly suspected shortly after, and for fair reason. The other two were very obviously broken, while physical firedoge had sound reasoning on both sides. The suspect took off, and subsequently ended later in the month. Upon the votes beginning, I had expected it to be pretty close. People like 49 and Dodmen had made posts elaborating on the rationale behind freeing Entei, in contrast to posts made by others questioning the real benefit of Entei existing in RU. When the dust was settled, Entei was freed by one vote. It was a rare occurrence given the history of RU suspects, where landslide votes aren't uncommon. Some handled the news more professionally than others, but for better or worse Entei was now a part of RU. It's been a decent chunk of time since then, and many players of varying skill levels either still feel or newly feel it's not a healthy pokemon. It's a pretty unique situation, given I can't recall a time in recent history where an RU suspect result was so highly contested. This didn't happen with Heracross or Zoroark, with Reuniculus or Sharpedo. There's been more than enough time for the meta to adjust, but folks still feel strongly about Entei exiting the tier. Personally, I think this is the perfect time for a resuspecting of Entei. Slam is right around the corner, and for many it'd be ideal to at least have the chance of banning Entei before that is underway for long. If the community again votes to keep Entei free, then that's ok. Democracy will again have did its thing. But regardless of the result, the opportunity for a resuspect seems the most viable course, and I personally hope the TLs consider this in the very near future.

Thanks for the time if you made it this far, this is probably my longest post if not for one of my VR posts.

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
Hello,

I wanna give my thoughts on Entei aswell. I think that Entei restricts Teambuilding too much to a point, that I think it is unhealthy for the RU metagame.
While Sacred Fire can burn it's checks in Ryhperior to withle them down with other chip dmg like Stealth Rocks or Spikes it has also Extreme Speed to
profit from. It is a good priority move and does a good chunk to rather fragile mons.
Entei also has some pretty good stats and 100 speed is even with the adamant nature a good speed tier, which outspeeds a good portion of the RU metagame.
Imo Entei deserves a resuspect here as it restricts you in an Overall Point too much, that starts already with the entire Teambuilding Process.

220px-244Entei_PSMD.png

To Ninetales: I think 9Tales is really good in the current meta, having 100 base speed, outspeeding a large portion of the metagem and having 2 very good sets being
the Nasty Plot Z sets and the Specs set, I still don't think that 9Tales is considerable as Broken or Unhealthy. While Entei has less checks and dominates the metagame pretty much by itself,
9Tales still struggles to bypass Thicc Fat Snorlax, Sap Sipper Goodra and has an opposing weather check into Gigalith.
Also bulky Watertypes like Milotic and MegaStoise prevent it from spamming Overheat / Fire Blast. And 9Tales still has to worry 'bout faster attackers and priority.
I don't think 9Tales is overwhelming for the RU tier, while admitingly it is very good.

250px-038Ninetales.png

Regardless of the obvious demand, it looks like an Entei suspect will probably only happen after the on set of slam, so instead of making a post elaborating on how exactly its broken I figured I'd talk a bit about the other aspects of the metagame surrounding it.
So first off, I'd like to say I think Barbarcle is broken. Even though it probably serves as a healthy Entei deterrent in the current metagame, I think its ridiculous to deal with, despite being a relatively new discovery. Barbarcle has dual STAB coverage that hits pretty much the entire tier, and can beat virtually any counter based on what move it runs in its last slot. Golisopod to revenge? Barbarcle runs protect. Scout on the Z move/ try to toxic Barbarcle and it can reveal Substitute? Go Toxicroak after you bait the Z move? Aerial Ace. Yes, the likelyhood of Barbarcle having the perfect last move to beat your team is relatively low, but your opponent can play knowing what prerequisite damage they have to inflict and on what before sweeping with Barbacle while you can't. Furthermore, its simply unfair that you have even a 20% chance of auto losing to a Pokemon, just because it happens to be carrying the right niche 4th move to beat your team. It's too unpredictable. Yes, Barbarcle is a relatively new development, but that doesn't mean it should be overlooked, hence why it has already garnered so much attention. Even if the metagame adapts to deal with this more routinely, such as with the use of medicoremons such as ScarfLazzle, I think it applies an unhealthy amount of pressure.
Ninetales is severely overhyped, which is an unpopular opinion. The most common set however, Choice Specs, is stopped by Snorlax, Noivern, Protect Zong coupled with a Fire-Resist, or simply losing the 50/50 between going for Fire/Grass coverage (even then you likely have to make another 50/50 after between staying in or doubling out on the fire/grass resist). Entei is simply much more reliable as a Fire type option, with the only "free" switchin Milotic threatened by its inability to damage the plethora of terrifying offensive Grasses that can come in after, carrying an extremely powerful priority move, and altogether requiring much less prediction to use. Imo Ninetale's best niche is being able to destroy fatter builds with a Nasty Plot set, which Entei can not do, but core breaking is something a lot of things can do to, so its not terrifically alone in that capacity. Don;t get me wrong, its strong and fast, but well placed predictions, keeping rocks up, and playing somewhat proactively can really limit its efficacy, which I find people tend to over exaggerate.
Z Celebrate Shaymin seems to have flown under the radar a bit more than expected, its actually a really capable sweeper, beating Bronzong down is easier and easier these days as they try to invest in more phys def sets and drop Protect, while the fervor for Manidbuzz has rightfully died down (turns out its actually pretty mediocre as a defogger go figure). I've seen a lot of people running Grass/Flying coverage with Synthesis, but really imo Earth Power over Synthesis is the way to go, which really helps with beating down Entei, and helping you not be useless against Registeel/Dragaglge squads. Obviously this means Shaymin becomes something you can't liberally check Milotic with, but the good news is, Toxicroak is good again (go figure) so you can use that or whatever other option you like to compensate and I find that works pretty well.
Mega Blastoise is really good and super splashable, but its not banworthy, comm'on guys (and most of you are still using the bad Scald set too!). Blastoise gets super pressured by the Fire-type Entei, gets 3HKO'd switching into EQ and worn down by Status as it tries to spin, and held in check by the long list of scary Grass-types, and Shaymin can generally switch in on Blastoise for almost free unless they Ice Beam repeatedly on Synthesis. Any team built with adequate offensive pressure just tends to naturally deal with it, and Milotic does provide a pretty consistent counter too it for more defensive teams (although it suffers from the unique Milotic-esque sydrome whereupon switching in give the opponent the chance to switch into another breaker for free most of the time, making its ability to check the other 80% of breakers of questionable use but that's a tangent anyway...). But yeah, Blastoise is both pretty healthy for the metagame in propagating offensive builds with cheap removal and reasonable enough to wear down and switch into.
Did I mention Mandibuzz is bad, oh yeah I did, it's passive as hell and loses to every rocker sans Gligar maybe. I won't spend more time belaboring a point I know people will be so reticent to accept.
Snorlax is good but also terrible at the same time. Imo its greatest asset is checking a lot of the ludicrous special attackers in the tier and even Entei if you EV it right, but it also applies no offensive pressure versus any well structured build (wait.. MILOTIC?!). Any cursory inclusion of SD Rhyperior, Curse Steelix, A Bewear, Milotic, Doublade, Tyrantrum tend to shut it down completely and thus it can be handled with relative ease as long as these things are not played carelessly. Also someone somewhere thought running Chip Away was a good idea, giving up the annoying para chance of Body Slam or power of Frustration, because they somehow built a team where they needed a specialized curselax to check other curselaxes (I imagine the same team must of also employed Scarf Drapion). But alas, more offensive sets seem to have theorymon potential, but in reality I've never seen one work out so lax for me at the moment remains at a really weird spot in the metagame.
But yeah, since everyone else wanted to right a dissertiation I figured I'd give one too. Overall, I'm pretty happy with where the metagame is, with offense being pretty viable and reasonably diverse among a set of goodstuffs. Entei is overly pressuring, but its managable to the point where the meta game is able to maintain pretty much structurally intact and remain its the variety it first developed post SPL with the rise of Golisopod. So yeah, I'm enjoying the way things have shaped up going into slam for the most part, which is likely to be rudely interrupted by drops, but alas. Thanks for reading this if you actually read this whole thing, but if you didn't I don't blame you, not bothering to read someone else's blob of ramblings on a Pokemon metagme is a remarkably well adjusted thing to do. Have a nice day.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Barbaracle @ Rockium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick

Gardevoir @ Pixie Plate / Darkinium Z / Farium Z
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Memento
- Taunt

Now that I've revealed this in a tour, i feel like sharing this core that I am really enjoying at the moment on ladder etc. Taunt + Memento Gardevoir is incredible support in this meta currently. The prevalence and effectiveness of the scarf set makes it very very easy to bluff and force out mons such as virizion, salazzle, zygarde, noivern etc. Once the opponent brings in their defensive mon, a taunt + memento combo is the perfect support for any set-up sweeper to get going. Things like registeel and Bronzong are unable toxic while milotic is unable to haze. Of course, defensive mons with supereffective or strong special moves are made ineffective with the memento support so a florges moonblast or gligar eq is rendered useless.

Pixie plate moonblast hits very hard which is cool but it may give away the fact that you are not scarfed. Darkinium allows for a semi healing wish + memento support and twinkle tackle is for silly damage on dark types that think you're locked into psychic stab.

Barb is self explanatory, it is the most threatening set-up sweeper atm.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-768503024

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As a matter of fact we lost Moltres (and thankfully we didnt lose Rhyperior, fuck yeah!)

Mantine returning will certainly twist up a couple of things but it is a nice defensive mon that can switch into special attackers while offering hazard control, whats not to like? Mega Sceptile and Slowbro are busted af so it is whatever. SPOILERS: Those will be dealt with as soon as possible.

Not much to say really, other than Nidoqueen really appreciates this shift. Looking forward to the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)