Metagame NP: RU Stage 2 - Lights Out (September shifts, Heracross banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to get back into RU and I just wanted to share some cool cores I've found while playing around with new pokes.

Charizard + Vaporeon + Steel Type is a nice bulky support core that is very tough to get past. They each cover their weaknesses pretty well. Whatever wallbreaker you struggle with, you can just run a fast mon for. It's pretty easy to use and great to spam for beginners.

Gigalith + Klefki is a very fun hazard core that can catch opposing players off guard. Klefki also has Imprison to block defog. You could run Sylvally-Ghost with it for spinblock support. And of course, Lycanroc-Midday appreciates the hazards + the great new moves it got this gen (like close combat for steel types).
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1162744220-rrqlmyh004yompfr3owbaojwb6wbk3qpw
The team I used is pretty weird but, I thought it was fun. Desert Fairy spam. Yeah, I have no idea why or how I got to that team structure.

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I been trying out the new meta and some thoughts came to me while playing.
Dummy Broken Darks
:ss/sharpedo::ss/zoroark:
Zoroark and Sharpedo need to go right now. Both of them are far too efficient at breaking through the entirety of the tier with its incredible stabs and coverage, with most offensive teams being restricted to keeping a check at absolutely high health, lest they just dumpster the opponent mercilessly, which is often not too hard to pull off thanks to the two beautifully pairing with hazard stack. There's also the fact that they can run special and physical and even mixed sets to great effect, with no way to tell which is which based on the team structure, along with how revenge killing is often for not thanks to Speed Boost and Protect for the former, and how the latter's Illusion forces multiple 50/50s. They are both far too underwhelming for the metagame as a whole.

BREAKING NEWS: Local Fox with wall-breaking powers that was broken in previous gens is still broken, to not many people's surprise.
Sand Squad
:ss/lycanroc::ss/gigalith: :ss/sandslash:
Sand is legit beautiful. I've used Lycanroc on sand teams and there has never been such a frighteningly powerful sweeper, because of how much a godsend CC was for this mon. And even out of sand it'speed is incredible, outrunning Virizion and Espeon, along with its great breaking power naturally. Sandslash is also pretty nice on these squads since it and the dog can pair up to really screw over the opponent's usual defensive countermeasures, such as both pressuring Rhyperior to check one for the other to cleanly check the other. Overall a very nice playstyle to try out.

Dabbling in the Deadly Dragon
:ss/dragalge:
Specs Dragalge is CRACKED. This mon is absolutely unholy to fight in the tier because of how literally everything in the tier drops to Dragon/Poison/Fighting moves. Hell, if Klefki wasn't so good or it didn't drop here, it may have been broken like the darks.
It's incredible natural bulk and typing let it fend off some of the tier's strongest threats, such as Virizion, Rotom-Mow, Ninetales, Golisopod, etc.
and apply major offensive pressure with Flip Turn to pivot on Steels that can usually chew up a Draco Meteor if you don't particularly care for Focus Blast's accuracy. Overall, very top tier mon and a staple of the metagame.
Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Flip Turn

The speed EVs let you outrun Max Speed Adamant Rhyperior.

I've been having fun with teams centered around voltturn since they got some nice buffs with the new Pokémon. Inteleon, Barraskewda and Sharpedo pairs really well with Braviary, Rotom, Passimian, and Heliolisk since they can take advantage of the bulky waters they lure in. Xatu and Blastoise are nice forms of hazard control that makes these moves even more spammable. Zoroak also forms some nasty guessing games. OU and UU taking most of the Regenerators really helps these types of teams shine.

So I was looking at the post-DLC viability rankings thread that was posted and noticed a couple of mons that are technically RU by usage weren't there. Those being Aromatisse, cinccino, eggy alola, clawtizer, galvantula, corsola-galar, rhydon, alolan sandslash, steelvally, and poliwrath. I'm bored so ill give my thoughts as to why these pokemon who despite being RU by usage are no longer viable, while also talking pokemon who are still viable but have taken a major hit and are outclassed.
Peanut Gallery- These are the mons that are still RU by usage but unviable, so ill talk about why they are no longer good. Cinccino and aromatisse are relics of pre-dlc, but with stronger attackers and better fairies, these 2 are outclassed. Eggy alola, while initially threatening, is now outclassed by Drampa and Goodra who are much better dragons. Moreover, its weak to common types like fairy, bug, and ice, which threatening pokemon like inteleon, escavalier, gardevoir, centiskorch, sigilyph, and fairyvally carry. Clawtizer is outclassed as a special water by inteleon and as a breaker in general by dragalge. Galvantula is outclassed as a webs setter by ribombee and weak to a lot of common fire types and not being able to touch steels like steelix. Corsola galar is just too passive (remember when this shit was good in OU). Rhydon is outclassed by rhyperior, who isn't going anywhere any time soon, alola sandslash has too weak of a defensive typing, not to mention sun and sand both are legitimate playstyles that cuck it. Steelvally is outclassed by better steels like steelix, copperajah, and bronzong.
Poliwrath, however, I am surprised that he isnt ranked. With lots of investment in bulk, the sets that are were brought up in this thread are very good. Poliwrath helps beat many dark and fire types in the tier like centiskroch, sharpedo, and zoroark while not being fodder for ghosts with darkest lariat. Might be my own potential bias, but i think poliwrath is very underrated atm.
Runerigus, claydol, and mudsdale- these 3 grounds were very good in the tier pre-dlc, but now we have many new rocker options like bronzong, rhyperior, rajah, and gigalith. While these mons have their own niches like claydol as a spinner, rune spinblocking and setting up Tspikes, or mudsdale with stamina body press stuff, I feel these are going to drop in usage and may even fall off by the end of this month.
Comfey- has no reliable way to hit steels, still can act as a support mon with aromatherapy and defog, but i can see this not being too good in the tier. Simiarly, frosmoth now suffers due to the increased power creep, making it's sweeping prowess hindered. We get new bulk waters and steels that can resist it's ice attacks, and now ninetales is back to ruin its life. Another mon that is on the decline gastrodon, as it now has many bulk waters like toad, milotic, mantine, and araquanid to compete with, mainly toad because toad can also use knock off to cripple threats. All in all, here are my thoughts on which RU mons have negatively been impacted by the shifts as well as why some mons that are RU by usage are unranked on the post-DLC viability list. What other RU mons do yall think have taken a hit to their viability with these shifts?

So, it would seem that Clawitzer has not exactly proved the most popular of the recent drops. When the drops happened, I said that I believed Claw would prove itself an effective breaker; however, it has had to compete with a myriad of other new special attackers. While it's slow and not the most bulky thing, Claw's main issue (besides the competition) has been its struggle to hurt the bulky Water Absorbers, having to consider Seismotoad, Vaporeon, Mantine, Jellicent, Poliwrath and the occasional Gastrodon; other bulky waters like Milotic don't help. Yes, it would seem that being walled by many Water types and being outclassed at general Specs usage by other Special attackers would be a death sentence; however, I recently realized that there may be an powerful, albeit somewhat niche, role that the prawn can inhabit thanks to an overlooked addition to its arsenal: Terrain Pulse.

Terrain Pulse, for those unaware, is basically the terrain version of Weather Ball, a 50 BP Normal Special move that doubles in power and changes type under Terrain. It hasn't seen much usage since it’s usually terrible, outclassed by other new moves, and the only terrains setter in higher-tier play is Rillaboom (Geezing is not using Misty Surge. It just isn't). However, between the lower power level and multiple terrain setters that are potentially great in RU, I realized that Claw brings something unique to the table in regard to this one move: Terrain Pulse is boosted by Mega Launcher. Actually, I don't think that fully conveys the power we are talking about here- after the Terrain boost and Mega Launcher boost, Claw's Terrain Pulse possesses 195 BP under terrain. This means that, depending on what terrain it's paired with, Claw has a 195 BP coverage move that can smack traditional Claw checks. But how best to utilize this power? Well, here's a few options:

1596765355484.png
Electric
1596765364206.png

Overall, I think that Electric is the best of the three terrains available in RU (you could use Misty Terrain manually, but- why though?). A large part of this is because ET naturally has the most good partners, powering up deadly Special threats like Heliolisk and Mowtom, while Pincurchin itself packs more utility than the other two terrain setters, setting hazards with Spikes, status with boosted Discharge and Scald, and possesses reliable recovery. This extends to Claw's performance on Terrain teams; Electric allows it to shred all waters (besides the Water-Grounds, but we'll get to them shortly), and can tear massive holes in anything that doesn't resist Electric (this applies to other Pulse variants, too). And in case those Grounds seek to evade this whopper of a hit, Claw's STAB Water Pulse or Ice Beam easily threatens them all to some extent. I wanted to bring up Ice Beam in particular, for while it's not that common on Claw's usual sets, it naturally complements ElecPulse to produce the infamous BoltBeam coverage. Slap some Specs on this thing and your opponent better hope they predict correctly (or you could always use U-turn to predict a switch in). But what of the Toads or Quags, you ask? Remember some of those partners I was talking about earlier? Well, this is where the rest of the team comes in. Here's the prototype ET team I've been running to test Claw out.

1596765355484.png
1596766206464.png
1596766378321.png
1596766411143.png
1596766459465.png
1596766474765.png

Pincurchin w/Terrain Extender
Electric Surge
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA; IVs: 0 Att
Bold Nature
-Spikes
-Recover
-Discharge
-Scald

Heliolisk w/Heavy Duty Boots
Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Speed; IVs: 0 Att
Timid Nature
-Rising Voltage
-Hyper Voice
-Grass Knot
-Volt Switch

GUN (Clawitzer) w/Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD
Modest Nature
-Water Pulse
-Terrain Pulse
-Ice Beam
-U-turn

Hitmonlee w/Electric Seed
Unburden
EVs: 252 Att/4 SpD/252 Speed
Adamant Nature
-Close Combat
-Throat Chop
-Poison Jab
-Rapid Spin

Gourgeist S w/Choice Band
Frisk
EVs: 252 Att/4 SpD/252 Speed
Jolly Nature
-Power Whip
-Poltergeist
-Shadow Sneak
-Trick

Bronzong w/Leftovers
Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/4 SpA/252 SpD; IVs: 0 Att
Calm Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic
-Psychic
-Protect

A brief rundown:
Pincurchin: Obviously vital to this team's success, Pin sets the Electricity (hopefully with Spikes) and spreads dual status depending on what the team needs. Extender ensures maximum buzz.
Heliolisk: You can't have an ET team without Rising Voltage, and Lisk packs the fastest non-Scarf RV in the tier. Grass Knot is one of two Grass moves to handle WAT|GRO types, Volt Switch allows momentum grabs, and Hyper Voice prevents it from getting walled by Grass types. I originally went Life Orb, but given how vital Lisk is in this structure and how hard it can hit even without a boosting item I figured that it could use some more longevity.
Clawitzer: The whole reason I made this team, I've pretty much already explained what this guy does.
Hitmonlee: A pretty decent win-con, Unburden Lee can easily clean weakened teams. Posion Jab allows it to handle Fairy types, and Rapid Spin clears hazards (thanks to the gen shift, Defog would screw over my strategy) if they are really an issue, while also allowing Lee to remain useful in case it’s forced out post-Unburden. I went with Throat Chop over Knock Off so as not to screw over the next member of my team-
Gourgeist S: I knew from the start that I needed a Grass type to take EQ and opposing Electric moves, and preferably a physical one so I wouldn't need to bring Lee out just to deal with Special walls. I went with Small since I wanted some degree of Speed. It's attacks are self-explanatory, packing strong STABs and priority, while Trick allows it to screw over stall-mons in a pinch. I went Frisk to help scout in case I can't get off Poltergeist, and also Insomnia isn't really necessary due to ET and the lack of Sleep spreaders in RU.
Bronzong: A more meta-general choice for the team, but a decent one none the less. Zong naturally complements Pin's support role with more hazards and Toxic for bulkier mons. Protect allows for scouting. Psychic is its one attacking move specifically so I have a SE hit against Vileplume.

Admittedly, this team does have flaws, being messed up by opposing Defog and occasionally struggling with naturally fast threats like Salazzle and boosted Sharpedo. Still, I've had a decent level of success with this team, and most of my losses were admittedly due to misplays on my part. I also tried a variant of this team that subbed out Lisk and Gour for Mowtom and Scarf Braviary and- it was actually not that good. Also, while Mowtom is definitely still a good fit for ET teams, its Levitate means that it actually doesn't get the additional x1.3 boost from the terrain like Lisk does, meaning its RV is only 140 BP instead of 182, so keep that in mind. Claw, for its part, was a consistently solid performer (at least while Terrain was up) even if I didn't get a lot of opportunities to use U-turn. I've also thought of running an AV variant of Claw, and it is feasible, but overall the sheer power that Specs provide was too good for me to pass up. Still, going Electric does mean that Claw needs team support for Toad, Quag and occasional Gastro; unless-

1596769233540.png
Grassy
1596769243817.png

Grassy Terrain cuts out the middle man and allows Claw to blow through every Water in the tier; even the most Specially bulky variant of the neutral Mantine is guaranteed to be 2HKOed by GrassPulse. It also provides passive recovery to the prawn, meaning that a potential AV variant is probably better here than with ET. So why did I say Electric was better? Well, firstly Grass allows Claw to shred Waters, but compared to Electric, Grass type attacks have far more resistances in the tier, between bulky Steels and mons Claw is normally good against like defensive Arcanine, hence having more risks locking into GrassPulse than ElecPulse. As such, I would recommend the GT version of Terrain Claw swap either Beam or U-turn for Aura Sphere, or just ensure you have an answer to Steels. However, GT is just overall worse than ET, largely due to its sole setter in Thwackey.

Thwackey usually needs Eviolite to not instantly die, so either you dedicate one slot to a frail, weak mon or you put a stricter turn limit on your team. Thwackey's support movepool also pails in comparison to Pincurchin, as it can't spread status, can't set hazards and is stuck with either Drain Punch or Synthesis as recovery, the latter suffering due to low PP and the viability of Sand cores and Vanilluxe. Still, the grass monkey (that funky monkey!) does pack a few tricks; it can use Taunt and Knock Off to soften or shut down the more defensive mons of the tier, it has U-turn to bring in its teammates and packs great priority STAB in Grassy Glide. It can theoretically be used as a breaker with SD, but its lacking power pre-boost and the need to stay alive to constantly support its team mean that this set isn't recommended in RU.

Due to my efforts to tweak the ET team, I haven't been able to figure out how best to build around Thwack + Claw. Still, here are a few potentially good partners:
  • 1596770441105.png
    Lee basically functions the same as in my ET team, but with Grassy Seed. It can still be a powerful win con, but not having Gour on this team frees him up to use Knock Off over Throat Chop. However, Lee faces more competition for a slot on GT as opposed to ET, thanks largely to-
  • 1596770533060.png
    Just as the antelope is permitted to grace the halls of RU again, it finds itself a good option for GT. With boosted Grass STAB (including newfound priority thanks to G. Glide) increasing its effectiveness as a SD sweeper, or even a rarer CM sweeper, it can utilize a variety of items such as Leftovers, Life Orb or even G. Seed to ease set up. There is an argument to be made that Viri is a must for any RU GT team.
  • 1596770768339.png
    Alge has quickly proven itself to be a damn good RU mon, between powerful Adaptability STAB and solid SpD to boot. Alge also loves GT, as the plants provide it passive recovery (or more passive recovery for bulky BS variants) while also weakening EQ, the attacking move it most hates. Alge can also provide TSpikes support or bring teammates in with slow flip-turn. However, its power when boosted by Specs allows it to tag-team with Claw for a slow but deadly all-out Special assault.
  • 1596770996698.png
    A more niche pick, but I think Avalugg could have some decent potential on GT teams. For starters, it makes an excellent partner to Alge, with its breath-taking physical bulk fending off blows Alge doesn't want to take, while Alge's naturally great Special bulk helps make up for Lug's non-existent SpD. Thanks to passive recovery from GT, Lugg can freely utilize Boots, while still being able to Recover in a pinch. It can also be a great spinner if your team can't fit Lee or wants Lee to do other things. Finally, it dishes out damage with some combo of Body Press, Avalanche and Toxic.
Thus, while Grassy Terrain is more niche overall than its Electric counterpart, it and by extension GrassPulse Claw do still have a niche but potentially potent place in the tier.

1596771473892.png
Psychic
1596771496940.png

While Psychic Terrain is by no means bad now that Indeedee F (note- yes, I know this is the M sprite. I couldn't find the F one) is unbanned, Claw doesn't benefit from PT nearly as much compared to ET and GT. Sure, it still packs the same insane punch with TP, and can naturally complement it well with Aura Sphere, but Psychic coverage on Claw would really only be useful for Plume and Alge, which PT can usually handle anyways. It's also intrinsically harder to build a dedicated team for PT than with ET or even GT since Find's support move pool is- not that impressive, with Aromatherapy being the only thing of note (you don't want Healing Wish on a mon that's supposed to come in multiple times). Find is honestly better used as a strong attacker in its own rite than as a support mon, so I'm not sure if making a PT team is even necessary like it is for ET or GT, since Pin and Thwack can't do that much on their own. Still, the sheer power that even PsychPulse offers means that Claw is at least a decent partner to Find, I guess.

Now, is this going to be Claw's bread and butter in RU? Probably not. As I've highlighted, Terrain teams are not the easiest to build, and the Defog buff of this gen hurts them further. Also, TP Claw is obviously not as splashable as the regular set, since it needs a setter to work. Still, I think that terrain partnership might be the way to go when using Claw in RU, as that absurd power + fantastic coverage from Electric or Grassy Surge gives it a niche over other offensive Waters like Inteleon, and I think that Claw is a mon that must at least be considered for anyone looking to craft an ET or GT team. So, I hope that this post about Claw (and Terrain teams as a whole) has shown the potential merits of this strat.

Last edited:

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Hello fellow forum users! It's been almost a week since the UU drops have been implemented, and according to Phantom on the previous page, another voting slate will be taking soon. I wanted to use this opportunity to talk about potentially problematic threats in the current metagame, as both the UU drops and the RUBL unbans shook up the tier quite a lot, to the point where the tier is mildly foreign compared to only a week ago. I also wanted to check up on the non-problematic unbans and drops, since almost all of them are viable in some way, shape, or form

The threats

:sharpedo:

I really like Sharpedo. In fact, I love all Speed Boost mons, whether it's Blazkien up in Ubers or Ninjask all the way down in the lower tiers, so it truly does pain me to say that Sharpedo is simply too much for the tier. On paper, Water/Dark is only resisted by opposing Sharpedos (which it can run CC for), Virizion (gets hit by Psychic Fangs), Whimsicott (Poison Jab), and Dry Skin Toxicroak (PFangs), which means Sharpedo has an easy time tearing through offensive threats and severely denting most defensive mons that don't resist one of its STABs. The ability Speed Boost means that every turn Sharpedo is on the field (barring switches into it), it becomes harder and harder to revenge kill, eventually outspeeding all of its offensive checks just by staying in. Combine this with a naturally high Attack stat, access to two spammable STABs in Liquidation and Crunch, and a myriad of physical coverage moves to choose from, and we have quite the threatening mon.

But what exactly makes it broken? Surely it has some form of defensive or offensive counterplay. And there is, but these can be easily worked around. Like I stated earlier, offensively not much can outspeed an Adamant Sharpedo at +1, let alone at +2, which leaves the only other forms of revenge killing Focus Sash mons (unless you have Kadabra, these get broken by hazards, which are on almost every team), staying in and taking a hit while hopefully living and hitting back (generally not viable since most bulky attackers get OHKOed by a STAB or coverage option), and priority moves. The last one seems like a viable option, if not for one mon that was recently unbanned: Indeedee-F. Its ability Psychic Surge not only boosts the power of Psychic moves used by grounded mons by 1.3x but also negates all priority moves targeted at the opponent for both sides. This means, with Psychic Surge up, Sharpedo can effectively become unkillable due to outspeeding all offensive mons and being unable to be hit by priority. Defensively, as I said before, not much resists both STABs and a coverage move, but some naturally bulky mons can survive a switch in and either cripple it or kill it. Unfortunately, most of these defensive mons such as Gastrodon hate being statused, so all it takes is a well-timed Toxic from, say, Salazzle to pretty much render it inert, even with a recovery option.

Overall, there just isn't much that can deal with Sharpedo. It has a limited pool of check, can easily get to a point where you simply can't revenge kill it, and what looks like solid answers on paper can be crippled or dealt with by its teammates with minimal effort. Also, I see special sets on some Sharpedos that bypass its standard checks, but I don't think these are nearly as viable because of its lower Special Attack stat and lack of PFangs to hit things like Virizion.

:goodra::dragalge:

Dragon STAB has always been a big deal in the tier, ever since Drampa rose from NU to RU and possibly even before that when Goodra was banned. So it's no surprise to me that Goodra and Dragalge are quite problematic. Goodra does the same thing it did pre-ban: use the threat of Specs Draco, a good Speed tier, and solid bulk + defensive typing to force switches and either hit something with Specs Draco or pressure the resist with a coverage move (Fire Blast and Sludge Wave perfectly cover both of these resists). Not to mention that due to the sheer threat of Specs, it can run a bunch of other (albeit slightly less viable) sets, ranging from AV to Band to mixed LO, to prey on the unpredictability factor.

Dragalge, meanwhile, trades the bulk and solid speed tier of Goodra for even more power (thanks to Adaptability), a Poison STAB, and Flip Turn. Although Dragalge is much more one-dimensional, it excels in that one dimension by clicking Specs boosted STAB moves that even resists have a hard time taking. Fairy types, which were previously an okay but volatile check to Specs Goodra, are now scared off by the threat of Sludge Wave, which leaves the only check to Dragalge as Steel types...which it gets Focus Blast for and Flip Turn to switch out of. You see the problem here? These two mons just have a too easy time using their STAB moves or scaring the opponent into doing something stupid, whether it be with the massive movepool and unpredictability of Goodra, or the sheer power and ability to pivot out of checks that Dragalge has. These two are simply too much for the tier right now and I think they should be banned.

:virizion:

Despite the power level of the tier raising due to the sheer amount of drops we got, do any of them check either the physical or the special sets that got it banned in the first place? I'm not even looking for something that checks both, but something that at least checks one of them. After experimenting, I've found the answer to be...not enough. Arcanine seems like a good check to the physical set with Intimidate and grass resistance, but only Physically Defensive sets can avoid the 2HKO from a -1 Virizion using Stone Edge and the OHKO from a +1 Stone Edge, meaning it no longer becomes a check once Virizion sets up. Golisopod looks good offensively with a STAB First Impression able to severely dent Virizion, but it also can't switch into either the physical or special set, as both Air Slash and Stone Edge have a good chance of activating Emergency Exit and sending it back out again. The only new mon that can reliably check Virizion is Scarf Gardevoir offensively, but it still suffers from the problem of being unable to switch into either set (unless it predicts a Fighting-type move). This isn't even going into the mixed sets, which have even fewer checks. Virizion is a mon I hope is banned because of the reasons it was before: great coverage, great speed tier, great special bulk, and a lack of checks.

The non-ban worthy threats

:zoroark:

I'm probably in the minority here, but it's extremely underwhelming. Still a very good mon, but nowhere near broken like a lot of people were saying when it first dropped. For one, it's very hard to fit onto more defensive teams because of the prevalence of hazards, specifically Stealth Rocks, leaving it unable to use the better defensive typings of the metagame without giving away that it's Zoroark (unless you run HDB, but the difference in power between that and LO is noticeable), leaving it to be used on offensive teams, where the NP set directly competes with Salazzle because of the latter's better speed tier and STAB combination. The SD set is the better one from my experience, but even that one suffers from Fighting-types, not being able to hit them outside of Aerial Ace and easily OHKOed by a STAB move by any of them. Maybe I'm underrating it a bit, or maybe it will become broken after the council bans some more things, but for now, I think it's fine.

:golisopod:

I have fallen in love with ze pod here, and I think I know why. On paper, it shouldn't work. In a meta with tons of special attackers, it has a mediocre Special Defense stat. In a meta with lots of bulky wallbreakers, it's speed tier is worse than all of them. And in a meta where bulky Waters run rampant, it fails to threaten them. But thanks to STAB First Impression, great physical bulk, and a high Attack stat combined with being able to abuse Boots, it has become one of my favorite mons to use in the meta, right behind SubToxic Salazzle and DD Scrafty. I feel that a HDB 4 attacks in the vein of Centiskorch is the premier set right now, although Spikes can easily fit on there if your team needs a hazards slot. First Impression because it's a powerful priority move, Leech Life to give it some recovery and a good STAB, Liquidation for another spammable STAB, and Aqua Jet to catch revenge killers that switch into First Impression thinking everything is fine (like Braviary). I can't wait to innovate more with this mon as the meta progresses.

:exploud::drampa:

I put these both together because they both have similar roles (special wallbreaker) and goals (spam STAB moves for profit), but how they achieve these goals are done much differently. Exploud is much more one-dimensional and boasts immediate power, along with a reduced number of checks compared to Drampa due to Scrappy and basically a 210 BP move in Boomburst and is faster, outspeeding the base 60's fully invested, while Drampa is much slower and more flexible, with the ability to run a CM Roost set with Chople or Roseli, and better bulk thanks to its defense typing, and an extra Dragon STAB to nuke everything that isn't a Steel-type when combined with Hyper Voice. As for which one is better...it depends on what team you're building. Both do well in the balance matchup (although Drampa struggles with Porygon2 occasionally), but I feel that Drampa is better on bulky offense and Trick Room teams while Exploud is better on balance and hyper offense teams. This isn't to say that you should strictly use Drampa on bulky offense teams, nor should you only use Exploud on balance teams. In fact, I find that these two make a solid offensive core. I'm just stating my opinion on these two.

The other threats

:arcanine::araquanid::bronzong::copperajah::escavalier::gardevoir::gigalith::lycanroc::klefki::mantine::milotic::rhyperior::seismitoad::snorlax::steelix::umbreon::barraskewda::indeedee-f::inteleon::linoone::ninetales::sigilyph:

These are the other drops/unbans that happened, but I don't care enough about them to write a full paragraph, so lightning round! Arcanine is a cool and flexible Fire type that can offer some needed role compression to team, Araquanid does the exact same thing it did last gen and in UU this gen (except with Boots), Bronzong is a nice defensive non-Rock type Rocks setter that isn't passive as it looks, Copperjah will probably run Banded sets again, Escavalier is threatening to teams without Fire types but almost harmless to teams with them, Gardevoir looks like a top tier threat with CM and Scarf sets, Gigalith I haven't faced much in this meta but it's pretty annoying, Lycanroc is almost exclusively going to be on teams with Gigalith to use Sand Rush but can function without thanks to a great speed tier and power, Klefki I can already tell is going to be annoying as piss to deal with, Mantine is back and combined with Milotic adds more bulky Waters in a tier that can't get enough of them, Rhyperior is already making its presence known and single-handily making Rhydon go back to NU, Seismitoad is directly competing with Gastrodon for the Water-Ground role on teams but has the niche of Poison Touch and Rocks to set it apart, Snorlax is back and I still hate VileLax cores, Steelix is back and still good, and Umbreon is a great defensive mon with bulk, recovery, and abilty to stave off Toxic with the threat of Synchronize.

As for the RUBL unbans, Barraskewda got Flip Turn but still has trouble beating bulky Waters, Indeedee-F is going to be another top tier Psychic and will pick up where pre-DLC Indeedee-M left off, Inteleon hates the fact that not one, but two bulky Water dropped as it got unbanned, Linoone is going to abuse Screens again but not Veil since Ninetales is back, and speaking of the fox I feel that sun teams will come back into fashion, albeit neutered a bit, and finally, I have no idea what Sigilyph will want to run since it has quite a few viable sets, but it's probably fine.

Please let them drop to NU already

:blastoise::clawitzer::comfey::druddigon::poliwrath:

For one reason or another, I simply can't see these mons as RU material. Yes, they have their niches (Comfey as a CM user, Clawitzer as a Specs user with a pivot, etc), but they're either outclassed at their roles or the meta just isn't kind to them. A good example is Slowbro-Galar. It's a cool mon, and it gets two good abilities in Regenerator and Quick Draw, but it has no way of abusing the former defensively thanks to a defensive typing with common Dark and Ground weaknesses, has to use an item slot to abuse the latter properly, and it's STILL walled by the Steels that dropped which resist Psychic and are immune to Poison. An immunity to Toxic is neat and Flamethrower helps it breaks through Steels, but I still find that Slowbro-Galar is too inconsistent and generally outclassed by either other Psychic types or other Poison types.

Overall, I really enjoyed the drops and unbans, even if some ended up being broken like Sharpedo. I'm currently enjoying the current metagame much more than the July one, as a lot of the drops properly shook up the tier in a good way.

tl;dr
Ban Sharpedo, Goodra, Dragalge, and Virizion
Everything else is fine
I like the drops as a whole

Attachments

Hey everyone! After messing around with a bunch of different stuff on ladder, I wanted to create my own personal viability rankings :)

MY PERSONAL VIABILITY RANKINGS (The Pokemon in each rank aren't sorted in any specific fashion)

S Rank
Klefki
Zoroark

A+ Rank
Goodra
Rhyperior
Sharpedo
Dragalge
Gardevoir
Virizion

A Rank
Bronzong
Gigalith
Mantine
Passimian
Rotom-Mow
Barraskewda
Copperajah
Umbreon

A- Rank
Arcanine
Escavalier
Golisopod
Lycanroc
Milotic
Sigilyph
Centiskorch
Slowbro-Galar
Bewear
Xatu

B+ Rank
Araquanid
Heliolisk
Inteleon
Toxicroak
Exploud
Vaporeon
Scrafty
Steelix
Espeon
Ninetales
Sneasel
Salazzle
Porygon2

B Rank
Indeedee-F
Blastoise
Seismitoad
Drapion
Snorlax
Dhelmise
Silvally-Fairy
Tauros
Braviary
Vikavolt

B- Rank
Druddigon
Jellicent
Charizard
Drampa
Linoone
Gastrodon
Ribombee
Duraludon
Golurk
Vileplume
Vanilluxe
Weezing
Hitmonlee
Sandslash

C+ Rank
Sableye
Claydol
Mudsdale
Thwackey

C Rank
Coalossol
Comfey
Frosmoth
Runerigus
Togedemaru

D Rank
Gourgeist-Small
Magneton
Pincurchin
Whimsicott

Last edited:
Hey everyone! After messing around with a bunch of different stuff on ladder, I wanted to create my own personal viability rankings :)

MY PERSONAL VIABILITY RANKINGS (The Pokemon in each rank aren't sorted in any specific fashion)

S Rank
Klefki
Zoroark

A+ Rank
Goodra
Rhyperior
Sharpedo
Dragalge
Gardevoir
Virizion

A Rank
Bronzong
Gigalith
Mantine
Passimian
Rotom-Mow
Barraskewda
Copperajah
Umbreon

A- Rank
Arcanine
Golisopod
Lycanroc
Milotic
Sigilyph
Centiskorch
Slowbro-Galar
Bewear
Porygon2
Xatu

B+ Rank
Araquanid
Heliolisk
Inteleon
Toxicroak
Exploud
Vaporeon
Scrafty
Steelix
Espeon
Escavalier
Ninetales
Sneasel

B Rank
Indeedee-F
Blastoise
Seismitoad
Drapion
Snorlax
Dhelmise
Salazzle
Silvally-Fairy
Tauros
Braviary
Vikavolt

B- Rank
Druddigon
Jellicent
Charizard
Drampa
Linoone
Gastrodon
Ribombee
Duraludon
Golurk
Vileplume
Vanilluxe
Weezing
Hitmonlee
Sandslash

C+ Rank
Sableye
Claydol
Mudsdale
Thwackey

C Rank
Coalossol
Comfey
Frosmoth
Runerigus
Togedemaru

D Rank
Gourgeist-Small
Magneton
Pincurchin
Whimsicott
Man a tragic fall from grace for Coalossal, Frosmoth and Salazzle

S Rank
Klefki
Zoroark

A+ Rank
Goodra
Rhyperior
Sharpedo
Dragalge
Gardevoir
Virizion

A Rank
Bronzong
Gigalith
Mantine
Passimian
Rotom-Mow
Barraskewda
Copperajah
Umbreon

A- Rank
Arcanine
Golisopod
Lycanroc
Milotic
Sigilyph
Centiskorch
Slowbro-Galar
Bewear
Porygon2
Xatu

B+ Rank
Araquanid
Heliolisk
Inteleon
Toxicroak
Exploud
Vaporeon
Scrafty
Steelix
Espeon
Escavalier
Ninetales
Sneasel

B Rank
Indeedee-F
Blastoise
Seismitoad
Drapion
Snorlax
Dhelmise
Salazzle
Silvally-Fairy
Tauros
Braviary
Vikavolt

B- Rank
Druddigon
Jellicent
Charizard
Drampa
Linoone
Gastrodon
Ribombee
Duraludon
Golurk
Vileplume
Vanilluxe
Weezing
Hitmonlee
Sandslash

C+ Rank
Sableye
Claydol
Mudsdale
Thwackey

C Rank
Coalossol
Comfey
Frosmoth
Runerigus
Togedemaru

D Rank
Gourgeist-Small
Magneton
Pincurchin
Whimsicott
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t D-Rank for Pokémon that are RU by usage but considered unviable. If so, then this D Rank would just be C- rank instead lol

also why do I get the feeling despite coalossoal being ass now it’ll still stay RU when the next shifts come? Please don’t let this be like Jolteon last gen

Sigh. Milotic shouldn't even be RU. Its Marvel Scale augmented physical bulk + naturally beefy special bulk actually allows it to thrive well in UU and even OU occasionally (I know because I use Milotic in OU).

There should be a RUBL ban list soon enough.
wym milotic shouldn't be RU? Its not overbearing at all and we have plenty of tools to beat in right now. Explain to some UU players why Milotic is worth using over much better water types like starmie, tentacruel, and rotom-wash. Just because a pokemon can be good in an upper tier doesn't mean they're too much in a lower tier. By that logic, skarmory should be too much for UU since it's the highest used pokemon in OU that isn't OU by usage.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Specs goodra is insanely good right now. Decent speed tier, great power + coverage, but most of all its amazing defensive typing and bulk. It comes in on so many pkmn in the tier with its great special defense and typing, forces a switch, and makes your opponent try to guess what move you're clicking. If they guess wrong, goodra is likely to blow through them like paper.

While it fails to break exceedingly fat teams, it does a great job against offense/balance and is just a crazy good mon overall. If you havent been using it on your teams much, make sure to give it a shot.

What's good guys, I just wanna farm some likes talk about the recent new additions to the RU tier and how I think they will be in this metagame.

Drops

:araquanid:
Araquanid seems really cool for hyper offense teams being that it now has access to Heavy-Duty boots which it didn't last gen. I'd say that this mon is definitely better than Vikavolt as a sticky web setter and will probably take its niche from it.
Sticky Web
Araquanid @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Bubble
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Sticky Web
- Toxic

:arcanine:
Arcanine is a very versatile fire-type having 3 sets that make it viable. Physically Defensive is able to spread status quite easily and pivot out with teleport, the spread below is capable of outspeeding Bewear. This set probably fits the best on Bulky Offense or Stall teams. 4 attacks w HBD or Choice Band is a very fearsome attacker capable of punishing alot of usual fire switch-ins heavily. 3 attacks Morning Sun is basically the same as 4 attacks but you pick between CC and Espeed while gaining sustain in return.
Physically Defensive
Arcanine @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Teleport
- Morning Sun

3 Attacks
Arcanine @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat / Extreme Speed
- Morning Sun

4 Attacks
Arcanine @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Wild Charge

:blastoise:
Blastoise seems to be a very interesting bulky-water type. Having access to Rapid Spin and Body Press lets it handle Sharpedo reasonably well. But the lack of refresh really hurts it when in play due to Blastoise being very susceptible to status like Poison. Shell Smash is viable too on archetypes like webs and veil but I feel like Phys Def is better in comparison.
Physically Defensive
Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Body Press / Ice Beam
- Toxic

Shell Smash
Blastoise @ White Herb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Aura Sphere

:bronzong:
Bronzong seems to be a very good Stealth Rocker from my time using it. The special defensive set is able to take on special attackers such as Dragalge and Gardevoir.
Specially Defensive
Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

:centiskorch:
Centiskorch was here very recently but was banned due to being an overbearing offensive presence. I think it will definitely stay as threatening as it's always been but a little more tame thanks to Mantine being back. It has great coverage in moves like Knock Off and is able to heavily dent or cripple a decent amount of the tier. Centiskorch can also run a Coil set and become even more threatening with moves like boosted Fire Lash dropping defense upon hitting.
4 Attacks
Centiskorch @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Lash
- Knock Off
- Leech Life
- Power Whip

Coil
Centiskorch @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Power Whip / Knock Off
- Leech Life
- Fire Lash

:clawitzer:
I've used this mon quite a bit and I have to say I'm a pretty big fan of it lol. It's definitely not groundbreaking in terms of viability but it's a threatening Special Attacker. Having U-turn to pivot out of unfavorable matchups with this mon is very interesting and lets you form pretty potent cores with mons like Rotom-Mow.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher :Clawitzer: Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD :Snorlax:: 274-324 (52.2 - 61.8%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Choice Specs
Clawitzer @ Choice Specs
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- U-turn / Ice Beam / Terrain Pulse

:comfey:

:copperajah:
I've been waiting for Copperajah to return for a bit and I'm glad it did considering the tier was pretty barren for steel-types. Copperajah does the same things it always has, eating hits from special attackers if ur AV and hitting back w insane damage or setting rocks. Copperajah has many good virtues for a Steel-Type such as the ability to nail fire types like Centiskorch, Charizard, Ninetales, Arcanine, and Salazzle with Stone Edge.
Stealth Rock
Copperajah @ Leftovers / Occa Berry
Ability: Heavy Metal
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heat Crash
- Heavy Slam
- Power Whip / Stone Edge

Assault Vest
Copperajah @ Assault Vest
Ability: Heavy Metal
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 SpD / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Power Whip
- Heat Crash
- Stone Edge / Superpower

:dragalge:
This mon seems really strong. Having a new pivoting move in Flip-turn has given Dragalge much more usability on offensive teams. Specs is most likely the only set worth talking about but there's been attempts at using defensive. Dragalge's typing is absolutely amazing for this tier, blasting away usual dragon switch-ins with Sludge Wave or Focus Blast. Dragalge also gives the tier a new reliable Salazzle and Ninetales answer.
Choice Specs
Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Flip Turn

:drampa:
Not as good as Goodra but still worth mentioning, Drampa has access to moves like Roost and Calm Mind which goodra doesn't.
Calm Mind
Drampa @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Hyper Voice / Flamethrower
- Roost

Choice Specs
Drampa @ Choice Specs
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt

:druddigon:
Druddigon seems like a very neat Stealth Rocker and offensive dragon-type. Specially defensive Stealth Rock is able to sit on mons like Ninetales while still getting up hazards reliably, while offensive goes for more attack instead of bulk. AoA Druddigon seems to be very decent as well boasting amazing coverage in Fire Punch and Thunder Punch which are Sheer Force boosted letting it bypass a lot more mons like Vileplume, Vaporeon, and Jellicent without locking itself into outrage.
Offensive Stealth Rock
Druddigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Glare

All-out Attacker
Druddigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Sucker Punch

Specially Defensive
Druddigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Glare

:escavalier:
Escavalier being back means that we got the best Vileplume answer in the tier back. Escavalier is also just an amazing steel-type in general being able to act as a great glue to builds that need it. These virtues are also backed up by a ridiculous base 135 attack, letting Escavalier shred through mons with moves like Megahorn, Close Combat, and Iron Head while also being very bulky.
Choice Band
Escavalier @ Choice Band
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Leftovers
Escavalier @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 216 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect / Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Megahorn
- Iron Head

Specially Defensive
Escavalier @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpD / 92 Spe
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Megahorn
- Iron Head

:exploud:
Don't really have much to say about this guy, Scrappy boomburst is pretty cool with its coverage and I think its a pretty okay special attacker.
Choice Specs
Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Focus Blast

:gardevoir:
Everyone really liked Gardevoir in RU Alpha and I assume it'll stay the same. Gardevoir seems pretty balanced and from what I've seen a pretty fun mon in the tier. Having access to Mystical Fire means it can now reliably hit steels without having to rely on hidden power (lol) or Focus Blast. Its best sets are most likely gonna be Choice Scarf and Choice Specs because the augmentation of special attack or speed on this mon can turn it into an amazing breaker.
Choice Specs
Gardevoir @ Choice Specs
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Mystical Fire
- Trick

Choice Scarf
Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Mystical Fire
- Trick / Healing Wish

:gigalith:
Gigalith has been here before and was the best Stealth Rocker in the tier during the beginning phases. A lot has changed since it's last been here and Rhyperior is most definitely better than it. But Gigalith is still able to completely shut down weather based teams and specifically Pokemon like Ninetales, Goodra, and Salazzle.
Stealth Rock
Gigalith @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rock Blast

:golisopod:
Golisopod is a very solid revenge killer in the new RU meta, offering a 90 BP priority STAB in First Impression to heavily dent Pokemon. Liquidation also just hits a large chunk of this tier specifically Golisopod is able to prey on mons like Steelix if they lack a rock move. Mantine is a great switch-in but Golisopod is able to run Rock Slide and or Knock Off to severely dent / cripple it.
Revenge Killer
Golisopod @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet / Knock Off / Rock Slide / Sucker Punch
- Leech Life

:goodra:
I personally love Goodra returning to the tier. Goodra offers a great offensive dragon-type that RU just kinda lacked for a while besides mons like Drampa which are good but slow. Goodra is able to use a multitude of sets effectively such as Choice Band, Choice Scarf, and Choice Specs while also boasting ridiculous coverage to nail mons that switch in such as Bronzong with Fire Blast and Silvally-Fairy with Sludge Wave.
Choice Band
Goodra @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail / Fire Punch

Choice Scarf
Goodra @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Choice Specs
Goodra @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

:indeedee-f:
ugh. why. Indeedee will most likely become one of the best offensive Psychics just like before, we already had a major experience w it in the tier so i don't really think i need to talk about it much here
Choice Scarf
Indeedee-F (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire
- Trick

Choice Specs
Indeedee-F (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire
- Trick

:klefki:
Klefki is an amazing hazard setter and remover in the RU meta rn. Having access to the ability Prankster and moves like Spikes, Toxic, and Defog do
nothing but help it. I guess it can also set screens too but i have yet to use screens Klefki.
Utility
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Play Rough
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Defog

:lycanroc:
Pretty cool breaker under sand if you can support it right. Has access to Close Combat now so you don't have to rely on Drill Run or Fire Fang to break steels. Lycanroc can also use a sash endeavor set to support hyper offense builds.
Sand Rush
Lycanroc @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Accelerock / Crunch

Suicide Lead
Lycanroc @ Focus Sash
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Stone Edge
- Accelerock / Taunt

:mantine:
Mantine has touched RU before and was one of the best pokemon in the tier forming many common cores and dominating usage stats. I assume it'll do the same this time too, being an extremely good hazard remover with boots and having the status of being a bulky water means it can beat the plethora of ground and fire-types this tier has.
Defog
Mantine @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic / Air Slash / Haze
- Roost

:milotic:
Milotic seems like a cool bulky water-type on paper, but having it down here hasn't really shown it making much waves but it is definitely decent, I just think it's a bit outclassed by the other waters that currently lurk the tier such as Mantine and Vaporeon. (I know because I use Milotic in OU).
Physically Defensive
Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Recover

:ninetales:
I mean i guess Ninetales is more manageable now considering Goodra, Dragalge, Gigalith, and Druddigon are here now, meaning that it most likely isn't bannable but will definitely be a strong presence in the tier like last time.
Nasty Plot
Ninetales @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Scorching Sands / Toxic

:rhyperior:
One of the best Stealth Rockers in the tier right now in my opinion. Having access to Swords Dance just like Rhydon but stronger makes it a very viable pick for bulky and hyper offensive builds alike. Solid Rock is also a factor letting it eat moves a Rhydon usually wouldn't. Rhyperior also still has the same ability to take on fires like Charizard and Salazzle like Rhydon did. Rhyperior can also pull off a Choice Band set, which allows it to OHKO Vileplume and hit other grasses with Heat Crash, but it's pretty hard to fit on teams.
Stealth Rock
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Atk / 140 SpD / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast / Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Choice Band
Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Blast
- Heat Crash
- Ice Punch

:seismitoad:
Could be a pretty cool bulky water-type. The secondary ground typing lets it work better with mons like Charizard thanks to the electric immunity. Seismitoad also has tools to take on Pokemon like Mantine that would usually come in on it with Toxic or Knock Off. Most likely Stealth Rock will be the only set worth running.
Stealth Rock
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Knock Off
- Scald
- Earth Power

:sharpedo:
Most likely going to get banned lmao. Pretty reasonable too considering this thing can hit from both sides and has almost no switch-ins thanks to coverage moves like Psychic Fangs, Close Combat, and Ice Beam. Speed Boost just lets it snowball and it can get pretty problematic especially if the opponent has hazards up.
Physical
Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs / Close Combat
- Protect

Special
Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

I personally find this thing broken. Sets like Calm Mind and Nasty Plot are insanely good and can get very threatening if the Slowbro opts to run Quick Draw, but even with Regenerator Galarian Slowbro is pretty formidable and definitely something that should be looked at. Even physical variants like Curse and Belly Drum can do decent work. Quick Draw turns games into a giant 50/50 if the Slowbro is already set up considering it has extremely expansive coverage with hard hitting STABs being able to run moves like Scald and Flamethrower in the last slot, and Drain Punch if physical. I've seen games where this thing has just pulled 3 Quick Draws in a row and won lol.
Nasty Plot
Slowbro-Galar @ Quick Claw / Black Sludge
Ability: Quick Draw / Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower / Scald

Calm Mind
Slowbro-Galar @ Quick Claw / Black Sludge
Ability: Quick Draw / Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower / Scald

Curse
Slowbro-Galar (M) @ Quick Claw
Ability: Quick Draw
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Shell Side Arm
- Zen Headbutt
- Drain Punch

:snorlax:
Snorlax does what it did before, which is soaking up special moves and retaliating with attacks. Snorlax specifically answers pokemon like Goodra, Gardevoir, and Dragalge which are pokemon that are very offensively present in the metagame. Curse is able to augment Snorlax's mediocre defense and attack and turn it into a threatening set-up sweeper that can become almost invulnerable if boosted enough.
Standard
Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP / 128 Def / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse / Sleep Talk
- Body Slam
- Darkest Lariat
- Rest

:steelix:
Steelix has been in RU before and was a top tier Pokemon along with Mantine. These two formed one of the most potent cores in the meta and synergize extremely well. Steelix has many traits that make it good such as the ability Sturdy and a secondary steel-typing letting it wall out mons such as Copperajah with no Superpower, Silvally-Fairy, and Aromatisse. Steelix can also opt to run rock moves such as Head Smash or Stone Edge to take on pokemon that come in easily on it such as Centiskorch and Charizard.
Stealth Rock
Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy / Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake / Body Press / Stone Edge / Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic / Protect / Iron Defense / Curse

:umbreon:
Umbreon has the potential to be a very good cleric. Boasting great natural bulk and a stellar support movepool with moves like Wish, Heal Bell, Toxic, and Foul play allows it to function on both bulky offense and stall.
Cleric
Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell / Toxic
- Foul Play

:virizion:
Virizion has 3 main sets that make it as good as it is. Calm Mind, Swords Dance, and mixed LO but things like Choice Specs and 3 attacks synth are okay too. These 3 sets are very versatile and are capable of breaking tons of popular cores in the meta, for example Mantine, Steelix, Vileplume based teams have major trouble taking any of these virizion variants on.
Swords Dance
Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Calm Mind
Virizion @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

Mixed LO
Virizion @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Air Slash
- Leaf Storm
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat / Focus Blast

Choice Specs
Virizion @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain

3 Attacks
Virizion @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Synthesis

:zoroark:
Last but definitely not least we have Zoroark. Zoroark has proven itself to be a very potent set-up sweeper and to some people it's bannable. I have used it a fair bit and I'm definitely leaning more towards the ban side being that this thing is insanely fast and strong for this tier's standards, blowing past mons with its amazing coverage moves boosted by Nasty Plot. Would be switch-ins such as Fairy-Types get nuked by Sludge Bomb, and Flamethrower is able to bypass steels like Klefki.
Nasty Plot
Zoroark @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Dark Pulse

Thanks for reading this long :)​

Last edited:

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader
Before I forget - .... again - we are voting this weekend on four mons: Sharpedo, Zoroark, Linoone and Virizion.

Sharpedo and Zoroark might not be too surprising considering the direction the conversation here is going, and with good reasons. Trying to stay as objective as possible here because oh my god do I hate this mon, but Sharpedo's excellent anti-offence capacities are still very much present in generation 8, with even added bonuses such as Close Combat and the rarer but surprisingly annoying Flip Turn. Sharpedo not only doesn't care about the lack of z-moves cause it rarely bothered, the drop of Klefki means there's an even better spiker than previous generations of RU. While Boots are extremely useful in keeping some mons free of spikes damage, those rarely switch safely into Sharpedo regardless, and would be more reliable tanking a hit when revenge killing. Still, it is something that was lacking in previous generations, and it does help make some mons like Golisopod able to actually check Sharpedo. Sharpedo also has excellent tools, but it's worth saying that it lacks the moveslots to consistently use them. As such, there's often something on a team it would really like to hit but it can't quite afford to.

Zoroark has a plethora of sets and while it did not have the same impact so far, its power and abilities are still very much a question mark in how long this would stay healthy in the tier. There's a lot that can be done with Zoroark, and perhaps that's why some people are less sure to what makes this broken because it's nowhere near as linear as the other mons on this slate, and some sets are just plain fine. But Zoroark punishes misspredicts like basically no mon, and while that's fine in tiers where the power level is high enough. RU always struggles with this a bit. SD bops the right mon, so does NP, so does Specs... And at some point it's really hard to actually figure out what safely deals with Zoroark on a team, a problem that you don't really have with... more linear mons. Still, it's a trickier mon to use, and it's understandable why the opinions are more divergent.

Linoone and Virizion are on the other hand, much more known to us in gen 8, and like we said last week, we were open to vote on previously freed mons again. Linoone is extremely basic in what it does, but funnily enough a lot of the good counterplay struggles in the current metagame. Indeedee-F is a strong breaker, but Sharpedo + Klefki presents a real problem for multiple sets, and the psychic competition is really strong. However, since it's the only one that actually has something to offer in preventing a Linoone sweep, it makes building a little trickier. Steelix was previously an incredible mon, but so far has been lost in the shuffle of incredible steel types, and returning grounds such as Rhyperior also prove to be a pickle in its side. So yes, returning counterplay, but also a difficulty to fit it. Still, does Linoone set up fast enough in such an offensive metagame? This is a bit of an hard question for me, and Klefki's ability to cut its speed down for a partner is not without its merits as generally common counterplay.

Virizion was incredible for different reasons than we are seeing now, as SD is really taking off in a tier that might not have a whole lot of answers to it. stabs + edge is truly excellent coverage, and able to pose problems to a lot of archetypes that are really not easy to solve. On the other hand, counterplay that was not around is now around, and mons faster that its aren't as rare - Lycanroc, Ribombee, Sharpedo and other offensive waters - priority with Pod is now a lot more common, and the drop of GalarBro makes it so that the tier actually has one full on counter that's also just incredible by itself. Lot less to say about Virizion cause it's done pretty much the one thing for three gens and we're back to exactly that, but it's been a contentious presence for a long time and for similar reasons that we are looking at it now.

Mowtom doesn't benefit from Terrains. Nothing with Levitate does.
Well,it actually can, because rising voltage only needs the target to be grounded for the power to double,but either way,it wouldn’t get the further boost from being grounded itself, which in the end of the day makes it a poor choice compared to Heliolisk.

Before I forget - .... again - we are voting this weekend on four mons: Sharpedo, Zoroark, Linoone and Virizion.
Doesnt exist a chance to vote on Klefki??
I mean :klefki: outclassed most hazzard setter in the tier. Is only bad matchup is Xatu and he make offensive mons more difficilt to play around tranks to priority Screen and Spikes. Also is good in balance having priority Twave to slow down faster treaths.

Doesnt exist a chance to vote on Klefki??
I mean :klefki: outclassed most hazzard setter in the tier. Is only bad matchup is Xatu and he make offensive mons more difficilt to play around tranks to priority Screen and Spikes. Also is good in balance having priority Twave to slow down faster treaths.
But what exactly would make Klefki broken compared to the previous gen?

But what exactly would make Klefki broken compared to the previous gen?
Last gen Klefki was UU. This gen drop to RU bc of Grimmsnarl being a better Prankster user. The problem i see is with less power level and being in a lower tiers Klefki allready outclassed every hazzard setter reducing the option to build. I mean your team is less competitive if you dont use Klefki for whatever reason.

Last gen Klefki was UU. This gen drop to RU bc of Grimmsnarl being a better Prankster user. The problem i see is with less power level and being in a lower tiers Klefki allready outclassed every hazzard setter reducing the option to build. I mean your team is less competitive if you dont use Klefki for whatever reason.
I mean, that's only if you want spikes. And to be fair, we did not have any good spikes user, as accelgor only worked well as a suicide lead. Klefki gives you utility for the whole match, but can be downright useless if you don't have the correct moves:

-99% of sets will have spikes and T-wave. Those are the main reasons to use klefki
-Now you have a toss up between play rough, foul play, magnet rise, screens or toxic. No matter what you choose, you are always hard stopped by something (with no play rough, dark types use you for setup, with no magnet rise every ground/rock type destroys you, with no screens you die way too fast, and with no toxic bulky waters can use you as pivot)

Klefki is good, no doubt, but it is far from being opressive (just annoying for offensive teams)

So, there's a set for Espeon that I've managed to pick up that actually helps it deal with its checks/counters in the tier, as well as faster mons that can give it trouble with boosts. Like +1 speed Sharpedo & +2 SpAtk Salazzle.

Espeon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Choice scarf enables Espeon to outspeed Barraskewda, +1 Sharpedo and Salazzle. A neat thing to note is that Espeon can deal 96.9-114.4% to Barraskewda with scarf and OHKO after rocks. With rocks and 1 spike up Espeon has a 68% chance to OHKO Whimsicott. And of course, trick is good for crippling fat steels, Vaporeon, Gigalith and Snorlax.

So, there's a set for Espeon that I've managed to pick up that actually helps it deal with its checks/counters in the tier, as well as faster mons that can give it trouble with boosts. Like +1 speed Sharpedo & +2 SpAtk Salazzle.

Espeon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Choice scarf enables Espeon to outspeed Barraskewda, +1 Sharpedo and Salazzle. A neat thing to note is that Espeon can deal 96.9-114.4% to Barraskewda with scarf and OHKO after rocks. With rocks and 1 spike up Espeon has a 68% chance to OHKO Whimsicott. And of course, trick is good for crippling fat steels, Vaporeon, Gigalith and Snorlax.
I think espeon is already fast enough, and if you really want sum speed control use sticky webs
:sm/ribombee:
Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sticky Web
- U-turn
- Bug Buzz
- Moonblast
Max evs in speed and spatk are bcoz it already gets ohkoed by everything and modest over timid coz its already pretty damn fast, and its spatk is not amazing

Gonna drop my thoughts on the voting slate this weekend.
Sharpedo- This thing needs to go ASAP. Great offenses with strong coverage backing up its stabs plus an ability that boosts its speed is too much for the tier. Another breaking point for this shark is that it can go either physical or special to catch it's checks off guard and provide unpredictability to it.
Zoroark- While it pains me to say this, the fox needs to go. It's SD and NP sets are very strong within this tier, plowing through mons after a boost. It can utilize poison, fire, fighting, dark, and grass moves to beat many of the common checks to it in the tier like umbreon and mantine. It'll be sent to the shadow realm of RUBL where its too good to be RU but pretty trash in UU. Hopefully in the future this mon will be much more balanced in this tier.
Linoone- I feel linoone at the moment we should hold off on. As outlined in the post, Indeede is a good check to it but due to the presence of sharpedo and zoroark indeede struggles a bit. When these 2 darks get banned, indeede will get much better and be able to deal with linoone more. In addition, this tiers many steels and rockers can all live it a hit and deal damage to linoone back due to it's frailty. Finally, its very vulnerable to status like poison to put it on a timer, paralysis to hinder any move that isn't espeed, and burn to half its attack. I feel that this is something that is only problematic because to zoroark and sharpedo in the tier, so those two leaving may curb linoone a bit.
Virizion- This mon I'm torn on. While it is very strong, we have many checks to it like dragalge, arcanine, slowbro-galar, and more offensive counter play like first impression golisopod and ribombee. I honestly thin that this mon could be suspected in the future rather than quickbanned since for the most part the meta has settled down and virizion isn't game breaking from my experience.

tl;dr- ban sharpedo and zoroark, don't ban linoone and probably don't ban virizion at the moment.

phantom

Banned deucer.
And here are the results for this week’s voting slate:

With that, Linoone, Sharpedo, and Zoroark are now banned from SS RU!

:linoone: reasoning :linoone:

Linoone’s Belly Drum set has very few counters. At +6, only extremely bulky resists and specialized offensive checks like Body Press Steelix and Indeedee-F under Psychic Terrain can handle it. With a wide array of coverage moves capable of dealing with anything else, Linoone simply demands too much preparation to be reasonably checked. In addition, Linoone’s sweeping potential can be augmented even further under screens support, where it’s arguably the best abuser. This forces teams to handle it defensively, of which there’s very few options.

:sharpedo: reasoning :sharpedo:

Sharpedo’s ability to clean sweep offensive teams while remaining consistent in other matchups has deemed it far too much to handle. Sharpedo has a few prominent defensive checks, but its ability to force teams to be slower and undercut the viability of fast, offensive teams in order to check it is bad for the metagame. Even with several defensive checks, Sharpedo is more than capable of pulling its weight against bulkier teams due its great coverage and power. Its sheer effectiveness has resulted in the metagame warping heavily around its presence to an unhealthy degree, thereby impeding the development of the tier.

:zoroark: reasoning :zoroark:

Zoroark, even without its signature ability, is a fantastic Pokémon. With a colorful movepool making many sets such as Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, and even Choice Specs effective, Zoroark simply has no counters in RU. Its ability takes what’s already a great Pokémon and introduces an unhealthy amount of guessing games into each match. With the introduction of Heavy Duty Boots, previous measures to snuff out Zoroark via hazard damage has been rendered ineffective. This also allows Zoroark a diverse selection of Pokémon it can disguise itself as, making it the perfect lure and far too overpowered for RU.

tagging Marty and the The Immortal to ban Linoone, Sharpedo, and Zoroark from SS RU. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)