Metagame NP: RU Stage 3 - Space Song (Sigilyph Banned, Crown Tundra released)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader

For the first time since the beginning of the generation, it can easily be argued that the RU metagame is in a place of relative stability. Last shift did change things in part with the departure of Rotom-Mow, but after that fallout the tier has been fairly consistently in a similar place it has been in since the chaotic drops of a few months back. Therefore, for the time being we're allowed to relax a bit on the Council votes, take a bit more time and open the voting process to the community at large! Because, even if the metagame is considerable more stable, it is by no means perfect, and concerns have been raised on a few things.

The RU Council has thus decided to begin this phase of the generation with Sigilyph. Sigilyph was unbanned along various other things as Isle of Armor hit RU, and was deemed fine to stay in the tier. A few weeks later, it even dropped to NU, puzzling many as it was still a pretty potent force in the tier. Regardless, that its mass usage doesn't seem that high hasn't really convinced people that it's not a serious question mark on the health of the metagame. In the metagame thread, Expulso made a fairly long post about the issues Sigilyph presents, and Juno followed up in the VR thread. Going over a few points, Sigilyph is generally concerning to people due to how diversified it is, and just how many of those sets are really efficient in the context of the metagame: Flame Orb heavily cripples most of what would be considered safe switchins, think of Gigalith for example, by forcing the burn on them and later on capitalizing on their lack of offensive presence to muscle past them with a CM set. Life Orb sets are more straightforward, but are very good at pressuring teams lacking that bulky water or dark type... which then are struggling pretty badly vs trick sets, be it Scarf, Barb or Toxic Orb, opening them up to Sigilyph's teammates while allowing it to move past a supposed answer very easily. One thing that is a bit of a main stay though in all the sets is just how good it is for Sigilyph to be able to hold an item. This might seem weird to say, but in a tier where boots are such a significant mainstay on every team. Sigilyph's ability to ignore all hazards via ability and mess teams up with its item just adds a little more to it that might arguably push it over the edge.

However, Sigilyph is not without issues, otherwise it would have been voted on a long time ago. Despite its ability to carry a boosting item with no drawbacks, Sigilyph lacks a bit of oomph overall. Its speed tier is very good, its coverage is very good, and its bulk more than decent, but it's almost always lacking a bit of something to truly be that massive force that shapes the metagame around a specific issue. While it does have a lot of adaptability, that also can work against it though, what if it's the wrong set vs a team and it costs the player massively? Flame Orb, while immensely annoying to some counterplay, lacks immediate presence and boosts very slowly, while also being almost forced to fit Air Slash as its only stab if it doesn't want to eventually lose to darks, which it still can if it takes a bad knock. Life Orb is very powerful and all, but fairly limited to two moves if you want to fit Roost and CM / Defog, all immensely valuable, which then leads to hard choices with regards to what moves you want to run. Other trick sets can be supremely annoying vs the dedicated answer, but on the same token can allow other mons to check it better since it's going to lack that boosting move / coverage / recovery to be truly problematic as a team breaker.

Short summary, but the floor is now yours: Is Sigilyph too much for the RarelyUsed tier? We'll copy the sliding requirements from other tiers for this, thanks Hogg for the quote here from their most recent suspect: "The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 80 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 84. As always, needing more than 50 games to reach 80 GXE is fine."

GXEminimum games

Other ladder informations:

- There will be no suspect ladder. Instead we will use the normal RU ladder which will remain open for the duration of the test. A message will pop up at the beginning of ladder games to indicate that the suspect is going on (Tagging Marty to implement, thank you!). Anyone who wishes to participate in this suspect test will use a newly-made alt with a suspect-specific tag to indicate that you are trying to achieve reqs. The requirements for this suspect test are the following:
- All games must be played on the Pokemon Showdown! RU ladder on a new alt with the following format: "RU3S (nickname)" For example, RU3S Evidith or RU3S Sunbroke.
- Do NOT impersonate other people in your ladder alt, do NOT use any usernames which are offensive, flame-baiting, or targeting specific users, and do NOT use usernames which could be interpreted as breaking any of the username rules on Pokemon Showdown! Failure to abide to this will result in you being barred from voting in this suspect, and potential infractions.

The suspect test will last for 10 days, ending on Monday, October 5th at 23:59 EDT.

/!\ NOTICE /!\
RU will not be tolerating any form of voting manipulation. Any attempt to manipulate votes can result in an infraction, loss of eligibility to vote in the current test, and loss of the Tiering Contributor badge. While we won't necessarily enforce super strict punishment, this won't be tolerated and will be handled accordingly. Voting manipulation can simply be described as attempting to get people to vote a way on the test in inappropriate manners. Bribing with teams to vote a certain way, directly messaging people to vote a certain way, publicly announcing "vote this way" all fall under voting manipulation. For more query feel free to PM me or phantom.

roman

Banned deucer.
hi, I just finished getting reqs. if anyone wants teams here you go

1601147906446.png1601147912598.png1601147924413.png1601147929650.png1601147938110.png1601147943732.png
- destroys the stall noobs (look out for trick bronzong)
- good vs common defensive cores
- broken sigi

1601148094903.png1601148111657.png1601148115724.png1601148120770.png1601148126473.png1601148135996.png
- yeah

also, the team expulso posted in the teambuilding thread looks ok.

sigilyph is too good for the tier, I can't remember the last time I've gotten so frustrated trying to build teams and, although not so oppresive in play, it definitely gives you a similar headache there too

idk what else to say that hasn't already been said. check out the postings starting from here if you'd like to do some more reading, but I'd prefer if you got reqs and voted ban

Last edited:

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Not a fan of this month's tier shift but that's p normal of me at this point

Rhyperior has been gaining traction in OU as a demon. Band sets and even some SD sets have been used to break the common cores in the tier so it didn't really surprise me when it left. What does that mean for our tier tho? Rhyperior was one of the few mons people used to sorta check sigi, trading vs LO sets that lacked Energy Ball and SDing vs Flame Orb sets so you'd beat them 1v1. It was also a rocker that threatened our defoggers (Mantine, Klefki, even Xatu if it lacked Grass Knot). Overall it was one of our better tanks, and I do think once DLC 2 drops it will come back to RU.

However my take from this goes back to the Sigi point. I think this leaving really does make Sigi even greater so it probably pushed those who were still undecided about what to vote to the side leaning to ban it from RU.

Slowbro was considered to be the tier's best pokemon. Even tho I personally saw it decline the past few weeks, I still thought it was an incredible mon. It worked as a wall for way too many physical attackers, and Regenerator makes it such a splashable mon on teams due to its ability to pivot, which is something this tier doesnt really have. Fighters like Band Bewear and Band Passimian were forced to run EQ to put big dents on this mon, so now that that slot is free, we might see them go back to Drain Punch for longetivity, although keeping EQ is not a bad idea to still hit other poisons like Dragalge, Croak and whatever crazy poison people might try to use. This one personally hurts me more than the Rhyperior.

So Slowbro is gone, and going back to my point about Sigi potentially being banned, we all know what this means...

I personally believe Virizion is gonna dominate once again, SD sets no longer have to carry Stone Edge to get past Sigi, unless you somehow face a Charizard in today's economy, meaning they are free to use Zen Headbutt to hit stuff like Toxicroak, Dragalge, and the poisons. Slowbro was the one mon that kept Virizion in the bottom list of the tier's viability because it universally walled every set, it reminded me of ORAS Venusaur handling Viriz but Slowbro feels like 10x that. On top of that I think Specs Sets can be cool again if Sigi ends up leaving, maybe not as strong as SD but I def see the merit. I'm not sure how I'd go about building for Viriz, I think this might make Pod and Arcanine more popular as mons that can rkill it, but who knows. Idk how I feel about the shifts but one can never hate a Virizion meta.

Kingdra finds itself in a tier where there's an excess of bulky waters. A lot of people are making the comparisson between Inteleon and Kingdra cause they both can use Sniper + Focus Energy sets, however Inteleon is incredibly fast and strong, and has a v colorful coverage with Dark Pulse, Ice Beam, Air Slash and U-Turn for momentum, what does kingdra have? Well a better typing, Draco Meteor, better bulk which gives it more opportunities to get a Focus Energy going, a cooler name and 2 diff sets in DD and Rain Dance sweepers. I'm not saying it's better, I don't even know if it's good cause it's not as fast as Inteleon (which is one of it's biggest selling points) but I think it's worth exploring a lot. I personally think Sub Focus Energy sets are gonna be the main thing but who knows.

The goons who rose up. Sigi is the broken demon it has been ever since rotom mow meta died. Croak finally rose to RU after months of being called amazing and dope in RU, happy it finally happened. Those who know me know I've been using this mon since February back in the Gigalith meta. Decidueye is an interesting one, it's a mon that for sure pairs up well against the common defensive backbones people are using, and Ghost being such a good offensive typing makes it even better. Idk if people are using Poltergeist sets but I think Special Decidueye is way better in the current meta. Vikavolt is probably used on every webs team ever, I would personally use Ribombee as my web setter but Vikavolt also offers more bulk to teams and attacks coming from 145 base special attack stat are no joke. And finally little tangela is a mon that is basically unkillable on the physical side, mainly used due to Golurks popularity I think, it then proved not even banded Bewear could get rid of it and I think ladder caught up on that, which is impressive and goes back to what I said after getting reqs: "RU ladder has evolved, they went from using Jolteon Cinccino last gen to Golurk Goodra this one"

I'm not gonna comment on what dropped to NU, I love Snorlax and Escavalier so it's sad to see them with little usage. Thanks for reading!

Well, I might as well give my thoughts on the shifts and the mons that dropped and rose.
RISES TO RU

:sigilyph:
Absolutely broken. Nuff said.

:toxicroak:
A well deserved rise honestly because it's quite good. has the ability to run both nasty plot and swords dance with a decent coverage movepool that includes Earthquake, knock off, sucker punch, rock slide, shadow ball and so on. Dry skin is a good ability to take advantage of the various bulky waters in the tier to allow for far greater ease for setup as well. It's also decent as a scarfer with that base speed stat as well. Nice to see croak finally getting the recognition it deserves.

:vikavolt:
I feel like the only reason vikavolt has risen is to cover the gigantic hole that rotom-c rising left in the tier. Of course, Heliolisk is still a good option but vikavolt provides the ground immunity that mowtom used to provide. for very obvious reasons, it can't fully fill the niche that mowtom had (and that's probably why rotom-c was so good), but it's the best we've got.

:tangela:
Not gonna lie I'm pretty hyped about it's rise. Easily one of the best physical sponges in the tier after equipped with eviolite and has broken-ahem-regenerator as an ability to boot along with a fantastic support movepool with leech seed, synthesis, knock off and so on. I've used it extensively and I can say for sure that it does not disappoint. It eats just about any physical attack in the tier quite comfortably. Definitely a must try if you haven't done so already.

:decidueye:
I'm going to keep this one short since I haven't used decidueye too much but I suppose the fact that it can run both NP and SD, as well as being able to carry off specs and scarf sets acceptably probably brought it back here. Also it's a starter, but we don't really talk about that. In conclusion, interesting vchoice? Maybe? I think? Yeah I've just not used this enough LOL.
RISES FROM RU

:slowbro:(excuse this pls)
Ahhhhhh this one hurt. As one of the early advocates of Slowbro-Galar, it really pains me to see it rise to UU. Not only was it the best pokemon in the tier (barring broken sigilyph), but it also kept alot of dangerous pokemon in check, one of them notably being Virizion. It warped the metagame around it (as S ranks usually do) and it leaving is going to change the tier quite a bit. Expect Virizion to be broken an again, and pray ig.

:rhyperior:
Yeah another mon that was very good in the tier with it's various sets. Choice band is a personal favorite, providing insane wallbreaking power to the point of being plain dumb, but I've seen stealth rocks and other sets being used to good effect. Again a big rise, and it will certainly be missed.

DROPS

:kingdra:
Looks quite good actually. Playstyle very similar to inteleon but it doesn't get walled by bulky waters while inteleon has higher speed and damage output. Both can run specs set as well and the Kingdra vs Inteleon viability battle will be quite interesting. Definitely looking forward to using this and I hope I have fun with it as well.

:snorlax: :escavalier:
Gonna group these 2 together since I don't rly have much of an opinion of them. Curselax seemed interesting and escav looked decent as well but the presence of fighting moves being everywhere really hurts them. Idk what else to say honestly.

OVERALL OPINION (ig lol)
Overall, this has been yet another unfortunate shift for RU. While not as terrible as the prior month's shifts (RIP mowtom) we really didn't get anything to help with the hazard removal problem or the lack of priority in the tier. We also lost meta staple Slowbro-Galar and a great offensive presence in Rhyperior. At this point, we have to make do with what we can honestly and just hope that the next month is kinder to RU.

Ggs.

Last edited:

Denial

formerly Lunala
is a Past WCoP Champion
ignore what happened before

Breaking the silence from the Sigi suspect to post the new shifts!

1601571539243.png
Rhyperior moved from RU to OU

Welcome back Rhydon. This is huge, it was one of the best rockers in the tier that could actually do damage. Rhydon isnt gonna be a really good replacement for it, but should do the same decently enough i guess.

1601571615886.png
Reuniclus moved from RUBL to UU
1601571628169.png
Slowbro-Galar moved from RU to UU

So, we cant unban Reuniclus, thats a real shame. However, Slowbro-Galar rising is gonna have an huge impact on the metagame, with Virizion being most likely finally on the top again.

1601571633068.png
Kingdra moved from UU to RU

We got what everyone expected. Kingdra is gonna be a good addition to the tier, SubFocus sets are gonna be very annoying, being able to actually beat bulky waters (sorry Inteleon). Specs set may be decent too, but that requires more testing.

1601571640815.png
Sigilyph moved from NUBL to RU
1601571644156.png
Toxicroak moved from NUBL to RU
1601571647420.png
Vikavolt moved from NUBL to RU
1601571650475.png
Decidueye moved from NU to RU
1601571655364.png
Tangela moved from PU to RU

Yes, we suspected a Pokemon not even RU by usage... other than that, none of those is really surprising. They all have a good niche in the meta and i was surprised they even dropped to begin with.

1601571660183.png
Escavalier moved from RU to NU
1601571664661.png
Snorlax moved from RU to NU

Kinda surprised those 2 dropped, they are kinda ladder favourites but it is what it is. Both have been falling hard and with Fighters being even better now i dont expect them to get better.

A floor Mat

The Official Floor Mat of Rarley Used
As a person who loved gbro seeing it leave so fast is sad, it had to go but it was very fun to use. Also periors OU usage is crazy so it would obviously leave the tier but once again RU looses another great mon

Don't be too sad about those mons leaving. Although they were great mons they aren't necessarily a positive addition to the tier & their absence will definitely give a fresh breath of air to everything else. Like you can use Virizion again how cool is that
:psywoke:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So another one sided suspect, it is a shame but cant say I disagree since Sigilyph was very nice and fun to use, but in the end it was a pain in the ass to face and hope it doesnt have the coverage move to bop you.

In general this shift was pretty ass, mainly because of rhyperior leaving cause it was really sick having a stealth rocker with such outstanding defensive and offensive capabilities and it will be dearly missed since rhydon is just such an inferior replacement, you could say we are spoiled after using rhyperior, yuck. Anyways, enough negative remarks, let have some discussion for the finals stages of the meta before the dreaded DLC2 coming!

Much more to use more diverse options on this now besides being the best cheeky poltergeist check around. Sigilyph definitely outclassed this on the offensive department except for a wacky scarf set, but now the mon has really no competition and it could act as a decent replacement cause while the ability is no magic guard, magic bounce is no slouch. Pretty impeccable coverage means with SpA investment it can be very tricky to switch into, so yeah. Sets with U-Turn will still be preferable but the options it could use now thanks to its typing and because using it without any item is actually pretty easy. We shall see.

Another mon somewhat eclipsed by sigilyph. Tbh, it didnt really eclipse it but sigi was just more justifiable and the tier isnt lacking in speedy special attackers so having something like sigi + salazzle or sigi + inteleon was a lot more easy than espeon + trying to figure out a workable ground immunity so yeah. No competition without sigi you could definitely try this one for sure. Specs are workable but boy, the cm kee berry stored power set is a monster on its own right. Extremely scary setup sweeper that with hp investment alone has enough bulk to work this set around. Cool mon that thankfully isnt too eclipsed by sigi oppressive presence anymore.

Big BIG winner of this tier shift and even more after sigi getting out. GBro presence really made Virizion pretty difficult to justify cause even if you ended seeing GBro less and less at the end of past month, the mere effect GBro had on the meta made Virizion pretty much unviable. Now with the psychic/poison out of the way and one less reason to run stone edge, if can definitely proceed to run zen headbutt very safely now. Only Xatu pose a problem but since it prefers to run itemless getting punished by rocky helmet isnt an issue anymore. Look out for this mon, a MUCH more appealing option now.

We were expecting this mon but it is a shame it dropped right now in a meta somewhat unkind to it. Inteleon overall is just a much more attractive pick than Kingdra but after thinking about it this mon could be interesting. Pretty much something you gotta build around, the set that makes it shine the most right now is a rain dance + 3 attacks and this gen it got the literal perfect attack to complement his dual stab... Hurricane! Rain Dance/Hydro Pump/Draco Meteor/Hurricane is some really excellent coverage for a cleaner since Hurricane let it hit the grass types that could eat a draco and retaliate like Virizion so thats very clean, and it has opportunities to setup on stuff like water locked inteleon. The focus energy set breaks better than inteleon, but you would still use inteleon cause of the additional speed anyways. Interesting drop after being mindful about it.

Some thoughs about the rises, and all were very deserved... except for Tangela, we really took Tangela after just a month and a couple of weeks of hype just to realize isnt that good anyways (like not saying it sucks, it is still pretty good but not to the level we were putting at the beginning to mid september. Decidueye is better real talk). Vikavolt is underrated, and pretty scary with non sticky web sets.

I guess we cannot possibly replace Rhyperior, but thats just how it is sometimes. For your trouble and for reading this post if you reach the end of it, have a team.

Scrafty @ Chople Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

Coalossal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 208 SpD / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Blast

Ninjask
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Acrobatics
- Protect

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Head Smash

Decidueye
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Leaf Storm
- Roost

Inteleon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

Cheers!

Ok, so now that DLC 2 just dropped, some mons are allowed to use their hidden abilities, and one mon in particular caught my attention:
1603507858428.png

Arctozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Icicle Crash
- Hail/low kick
- Freeze-Dry

This thing basically 2HKOs the entire tier just with its STABs, forcing a lot of sacks by the opponent if they are not prepared. Bolt beak is just insane, as anything under 458 speed (which is under scarf hitmonlee, if I calculated correctly) basically melts, and no ground type outside of steelix wants to take an Icicle Crash from this thing.
Freeze dry covers the eventual Quagsire, while low kick limits the amount of times it can switch into your attacks:
252 Atk Life Orb Arctozolt Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Steelix: 140-166 (39.5 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
Even with the new drops, I see this abomination having a niche in the tier, and I am all for it :] can't wait for the next drops!

A floor Mat

The Official Floor Mat of Rarley Used
1603734819374.png

With the new dlc, nobody has realized that Golbat is NFE so heres a set for it
Golbat @ Eviolite / Heavy-duty boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 64 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Toxic/ Super Fang
- Defog / taunt / U-turn
- Roost
This mon plays the same role it did last gen, checking fighting types like Passimian, Scrafty and Virizion effectively. I would personally recommend Eviolite over Heavy-duty boots because it allows Golbat to take a lot more hits from a lot of mons. Like last gen, its item is very important so be careful of knock off. Unfortunately Mantine does its job as well but I'm curious to see what people think about it this gen.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Relevant drops:
Absol
Archeops
Articuno
Audino
Aurorus
Crobat
Cryogonal
Jynx
Kabutops
Magmortar
Mesprit
Nidoqueen
Rhyperior
Sceptile
Slowking
Spiritomb
Starmie
Tornadus
Tyrantrum
Xurkitree
Zygarde-10%

Relevant Rises:
Bronzong
Dhelmise
Froslass
Golisopod
Klefki
Umbreon
Heliolisk

Time to run SpD Nidoqueen on every team:

252+ SpA Life Orb Xurkitree Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 124+ SpD Nidoqueen: 159-187 (41.4 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

132 SpA Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Xurkitree: 308-366 (100.3 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Vileplume also seems alright:

252+ SpA Life Orb Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 143-168 (40.3 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

96 SpA Vileplume Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Xurkitree: 153-180 (49.8 - 58.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

Thank God this demon lost HP Ice and Signal Beam, or nothing would be safe.

Looking at the mons that rose, we are VERY likely to get them back in the next shift 2 weeks from now. UU's power creep is insane and i would be surprised if any of these lower viability UU mons survives the power creep. Also, I'm gonna highlight the most significant of these drops, the ones I see being RU by usage and having long term status here.

1604249231237.png
- Articuno now can utilize boots to deal with it's horrible defensive typing and SR weakness It can find its way on many defensive teams as a supportive mon with defog and heal bell. It can deal with the tiers bulk waters via freeze dry. I think a set of Defog/Roost/Freeze Dry/Heal Bell or Toxic would be the best.
1604249277095.png
- We will love this mon. Another bulky water that can act as a pivot, hell yeah! This thing had so much success in UU earlier this gen with its bringing in of offensive mons and its future sight weakening down walls. It will be a fantastic pokemon and something I can see being top tier in RU for a long time.
1604249257999.png
-The queen has returned! She can utilize a SR offensive set or a supportive set to help the team out. Nidoqueen looks to be a fantastic glue mon and I'm ready to see what this thing can do
1604249266946.png
-After a month break, we got rhyperior back. It will do the same things like last time it was here, being an overall solid rocker and offensive behemoth. Its good to have you back
1604249309927.png
-This mon gets CC in its arsenals, making tis DD or CB sets even more dangerous. It will likely tear NU a new one before being rose up to here. Rock head head smash with a choice band kills everything and this will be one of the most fun drops.
1604249340304.png
-Poor zydog dropped all the way to PU, where it is likely to get instabanned. It will be a great DD or CB sweeper with its busted ass thousand arrows. Hopefully we don't forget it since its chilling in the Pu section of the builder and give our boy some love.
1604249295567.png
1604249243043.png
1604249320362.png
1604249330031.png
- Assuming any of these don't rise up, they have a good chance to be busted. Tornadus and Xurxitree are def going to be busted with their giant specials attacks and boosting moves. Even with the new drops I don't see these staying for long in December. Crobat will likely rise to UU but there is a chance we keep it. I'm not sure what to do if we keep it, its a very good supportive mon and will act like noivern was in UU. It can also utilize an offensive set as well. Similarly, former OU staple starmie is now RU, and while I think it'll be busted, its hard to assess until we see what we get from the next 2 shifts, since i think it wont rise back up to UU.

That's all I have to say, RU looks to be more fun now with former staples like nidoqueen, rhyp, tyrantrum, and zydog returning. Don't worry about the rises, they will be back to us soon with the UU power creep. Lastly, thank you for finally dropping coalossal.

With all the new toys we got, it is easy to overlook some of the new mons with new buffs, so I want to highlight a mon that may get better with time once everything settles down: perish trap altaria

1604415387135.png

Altaria @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fire Spin
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Roost

With the new dlc, altaria got access to fire spin, giving it a solid perish trap combo alongside protect and roost. This allows it to trap key mons like steelix and drapion, which are usually the only answers to mons like indeedee and arctozolt on offensive teams, who would otherwise spam their STABs freely. It also traps water types without flip turn, vileplume, seismitoad and torkoal (bronzong and umbreon also fall into this category, if they ever drop back).
Max defense with bold nature allows it to avoid the 2hko from head smash steelix and shrug off any hit from drapion, while being resistant to most deffensive special attackers in the tier (sludge bomb from vileplume would be the only neutral hitter).
I see potential in this mon, though I could be overhyping it XD As for the other drops:

1604416287788.png
This thing is not nearly as broken as I expected it to be, though a suspect test once things settle down would be a good idea. It can run pretty good setup with calm mind, it outspeeds the base 80 scarfers that used to run the tier and even specs is viable in certain team compositions

1604416444274.png
Offensive potential aside, this mon is an excelent support mon for offensive teams, either as a defog punisher or as a prankster mon (being an excellent fit on rain teams). Speaking of which:
1604416633094.png
Drizzle is menacing, evenin a tier where all other weathers are viable.The main rain abusers + politoed are probably gonna rise up to UU though, so I am not gonna discuss it further (though that also means torkoal is gonna rise....)

1604416753247.png
1604416767021.png
1604416772634.png
I need to see more of this mons to form an opinion on them, but they seem to be pretty good. Zydoge is as menacing as it was last gen, and starmie is a good offensive support water type (I have yet to see any reflect type shenanigans, and that leaves me dissapointed XD)

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon

Arctozolt @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Blizzard
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry

This is IMO the biggest problem in the tier and i think its likely to be promptly banned once we move out of alpha. With Slush Rush skyrocketing its speed tier past that of every common scarfer with the exception of Drapion, its finally able to take advantage of its spectacular STAB combo and coverage and tear through teams like tissue paper. The only things that can realistically switch into Arctozolt under hail are Steelix and Piloswine, both of which can get bopped by a well timed Hydro Pump. A few pokemon can feasibly revenge kill it like Gardevoir (tracing slush rush) and Thwackey, but ultimately its far too much for the tier.

Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf / Life Orb / Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch

With its colossal 173 Special Attack and access to Beast Boost, Xurkitree is quite challenging to handle. It can heavily pressure Electric resists like Vileplume and Virizion with its raw power and wear down Ground-types with Energy Ball. Nidoqueen can serve as a decent answer to it, but can be worn down due to lack of reliable recovery. At the very least I would expect for this to become broken once our main spikers return to the tier (Klefki, Golisopod) to pressure its usual answers. Steelix is probably the next best check thanks to its typing, but is cleanly 2HKOed by Specs Energy Ball and also lacks recovery. Xurkitree can also run Rising Voltage with Pincurchin to blast through resists like Goodra, Virizion, Vileplume, and Dragalge incredibly easily once Ground-types are out of the way.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 204 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Encore

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Flip Turn

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Knock Off / Stealth Rock

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Flip Turn / Swords Dance / Stealth Rock

Drednaw @ Muscle Band / Hard Stone / Mystical Water
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Head Smash
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance / Stealth Rock

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Punch

Tornadus (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Defiant / Prankster
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Knock Off / Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot

This is an interesting one. I would actually say rain is not all that good atm, given the presence of Hail which it has a hard time fitting a real answer to, in addition to Slowking which poses an issue for most of rains Special abusers. Its certainly viable, but my experiences with it so far have been underwhelming. Seismitoad and Kingdra are definitely the best abusers in my opinion. Toad has great coverage and provides a greatly beneficial Electric immunity. Kingdra breaks basically everything but Slowking and Porygon2 easily and has always been one of the best rain abusers. I've played around with ludicolo a bit, and while the resists it brings to the table are nice I'm not sure it really does well enough to justify a lot on rain teams due to its poor raw power. Kabutops is another mediocre one, lacking in the raw power or coverage one would hope for. It has Aqua Jet to help against Hail, and Flip Turn to pivot around, but seems generally worse than Drednaw in most matchups which can break past certain rain checks like Gastrodon with its raw power. Tornadus is one rain abuser I haven't had a chance to try out yet, but seems solid with its great coverage, high BP hurricane, and access to Weather Ball.

Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight / Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Teleport

(EVs avoid 2hko from specs garde moonblast)
This one is sure to be a big deal in the meta, with its ability to check a huge range of threats, apply offensive pressure with Future Sight, and pivot around with Teleport. The reign of this King might be short lived however, as UU lost Slowbro last shift. But while its here, we can enjoy it as a glue mon which can handle threats like Nidoqueen, Espeon, Kingdra, Indeedee-F, and Goodra.

Last edited:
this meta is pretty neat so far, despite the insanity theres like nothing id consider particularly overbearing (except maybe hail, zydog tornadus are both really good too), only played a few games but i did wanna make some observations

:slowking:

tbh this is one of the, if not the best mon in the tier right now for me, even though it doesn't really check the boxes of being "unhealthy". with all the crazy shit running around, having a combination of good bulk / regen with boots / future sight / teleport makes it very good at enabling just about any offensive mon in the tier. grabbing momentum immediately with not that much drawback is real nice for swaying the game in your favor. even though it doesnt bring immediate power to the table it's easily splashable and i'd consider it almost essential for any bulky offense to work with.

:zygarde-10:
thousand arrows is real annoying right now to deal with since things that can tank it are not particularly abundant in the tier. couple that with decent defensive typing, and by decent i mean its held back by shit bulk but having a volt immunity is very nice, and espeed and you have what will probably a definitive nuke for the tier.

:crobat:

big fan of this thing. theres not really much to say about it that isn't obvious, but like slowking it's incredible at gaining momentum, and is great in that it has good defensive utility - covering scarf passi and random shit like thwackey is nice for dealing with other fast paced shit. infiltrator is also great in punishing screens, granted you obviously need chip since it's not the strongest thing in the world. id say its the best defogger too but i also don't particularly believe defog is absolutely essential right now so that's a smaller facet.

:xurkitree:

surprisingly enough this thing is like...maybe not that broken? it's definitely very good but it's also a little bit awkward. scarf sets are really fun cause the speed tier, while not fantastic, allows you to outrun other common scarfers in passi and garde which is great. movepool is a bit awkward too but it still covers a good amount, gleam is especially nice in rking zydog. haven't tried other sets yet really but a boots pivot or even a cm set might be good to work with.

:golurk:

pretty underrated rn imo. while it falters as opposed to the other Strong Guys in that its speed tier is not fantastic, its stab combo is really valuable and with teleport support you are making a ton of progress every time it comes in. any set is fine but i've been using the ou set with trick av, but it hasn't actually been used that much so i imagine cb is probably good enough too.

it's uh very unfortunate that we lost zong cause it'd be real nice rn, same with goliso. hopefully we get those alongside other steels like meta and registeel with the next shifts

After playing the meta a lot I want to post a couple observations I have seen.

• Arctozoly is by far the biggest problem in the tier right now. I initially thought xurk and tornadus would be bigger issues, but arctozolt is just insane. The risk reward whenever it attacks is heavily skewed in its favor. The best bolt beak resists all get blown away by Blizzard, and steels can't handle bolt beak. Steelix is immune to bolt beak, but due to its weak special defense and being neutral to ice, it can't take more than 1 Blizzard while hydro pump puts it at 25%. The best counterplay is niche stuff like specially defensive togedemaru or garde that traces slush rush. Otherwise the best option is to have a sturdy steel + tangela and hope it guesses incorrectly.
  • Xurkitree i think will get suspect tested at some point, but not immediately. The choice scarf set is a terror for offensive teams, but I think this has more reasonable forms of counterplay compared to zolt. More offensive teams have the option of forcing guessing games with xurk by packing a dragon like goodra and a ground type. This forces the xurk user to guess more since you have 2 mons immune to its main tools. It's still amazing, but it wasn't as broken as it was on paper.
  • Absol isn't a top tier mon like torn or xurk, but I think it has a decent amount of potential here. Dark stab is extremely potent in this tier due to the lack of fairy types and dark type switch ins. It operates like a frailer bisharp with its insane strength and powerful priority. However it's really frail and can't setup on much except on something it scares out, which is limited to stuff like psychic types that don't want to risk a 50/50 with it or a slow ghost.
  • Starmie is also really nice. For once we have a spinner that's not slow/niche. It can also serve as a status absorber for teams with natural cure or use analytic to nuke switch ins that try to check it.

Yubellia

Banned deucer.
Hi RU, also been playing this meta more since the drops and been having a blast. Here are some thoughts:

(click me)
My go to defensive core that I feel covers a lot of stuff. Slowking is an amazing mon as Bouff stated and is definitely the best glue in the tier. Steelix + Crobat provide Rocks and Defog support respectively and help Slowbro check threats like Arctozolt, Virizion, and Xurkitree as well (to a certain point lol). I usually slap this core on most of my balance and bulky offensive teams and have great success especially when pairing it with offensive threats due to the support that Future Sight Slowking provides in tandem with Teleport and U-Turn from Crobat.

Arctozolt @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Blizzard
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry

This pokemon is really oppressing and lacks much defensive counterplay thanks to the amazing boltbeam combo and water coverage as well. While it does require both Hail and entry hazard removal support for sure, Arctozolt just hits too hard and requires multiple defensive / offensive checks to handle it when under Hail. I personally been liking to use Steelix or Gigalith to help mitigate it's wallbreaking, but Zolt can just cause too much strian on builifng imo especially when paired with other Slush Rush users like Alolan Sandslash and Arctovish (which are both personally healthy and not too much compared to zolt). This mon should be either quickbanned or suspected very soon imo.

Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball

Xurkitree @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots / Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Energy Ball
- Substitute

The other problematic electric type, I personally don't think Xurk is as bad as people make it out to be. Checks like SpD Steelix, Dragalge and Goodra are good pokemon in the metagame that can at least soft check this pokemon. The loss of Tail Glow really prevents Xurkitree from becoming an unstoppable force in just one turn and usually requires a Beast Boost / Calm Mind boost or two to really start sweeping. Scarf sets lack initial power and Specs / CM sets can get revenge killed by quite a number of threats. Keep an eye on it for sure, but I think for now its ok.

Tornadus (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Wide Lens
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Heat Wave / Substitute
- Nasty Plot

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower / Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Tornadus (M) @ Damp Rock
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball / Focus Blast / Knock Off
- U-turn

Tornadus I think is too much for the tier too. The addition of Nasty Plot in it's arsenal just makes it an insane wallbreaker that can break past most checks thanks to its great coverage, amazing speed, and above average offenses. These are the main sets I have used / seen, but Tornadus can really just kinda do it all and lacks much of a defensive counterplay especially since we lost Bronzong and have no Rhypherior rn. I also think this pokemon should be quickbanned but would like others to give their thoughts too.

Ye thats it, here are some teams just for fun lol:
Scarf Xurk B. Offense

Broken Hail B. Offense

Screens Hyper Offense

Hi RU, also been playing this meta more since the drops and been having a blast. Here are some thoughts:

(click me)
My go to defensive core that I feel covers a lot of stuff. Slowking is an amazing mon as Bouff stated and is definitely the best glue in the tier. Steelix + Crobat provide Rocks and Defog support respectively and help Slowbro check threats like Arctozolt, Virizion, and Xurkitree as well (to a certain point lol). I usually slap this core on most of my balance and bulky offensive teams and have great success especially when pairing it with offensive threats due to the support that Future Sight Slowking provides in tandem with Teleport and U-Turn from Crobat.

Arctozolt @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Blizzard
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry

This pokemon is really oppressing and lacks much defensive counterplay thanks to the amazing boltbeam combo and water coverage as well. While it does require both Hail and entry hazard removal support for sure, Arctozolt just hits too hard and requires multiple defensive / offensive checks to handle it when under Hail. I personally been liking to use Steelix or Gigalith to help mitigate it's wallbreaking, but Zolt can just cause too much strian on builifng imo especially when paired with other Slush Rush users like Alolan Sandslash and Arctovish (which are both personally healthy and not too much compared to zolt). This mon should be either quickbanned or suspected very soon imo.

Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball

Xurkitree @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots / Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Energy Ball
- Substitute

The other problematic electric type, I personally don't think Xurk is as bad as people make it out to be. Checks like SpD Steelix, Dragalge and Goodra are good pokemon in the metagame that can at least soft check this pokemon. The loss of Tail Glow really prevents Xurkitree from becoming an unstoppable force in just one turn and usually requires a Beast Boost / Calm Mind boost or two to really start sweeping. Scarf sets lack initial power and Specs / CM sets can get revenge killed by quite a number of threats. Keep an eye on it for sure, but I think for now its ok.

Tornadus (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Wide Lens
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Heat Wave / Substitute
- Nasty Plot

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower / Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Tornadus (M) @ Damp Rock
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball / Focus Blast / Knock Off
- U-turn

Tornadus I think is too much for the tier too. The addition of Nasty Plot in it's arsenal just makes it an insane wallbreaker that can break past most checks thanks to its great coverage, amazing speed, and above average offenses. These are the main sets I have used / seen, but Tornadus can really just kinda do it all and lacks much of a defensive counterplay especially since we lost Bronzong and have no Rhypherior rn. I also think this pokemon should be quickbanned but would like others to give their thoughts too.

Ye thats it, here are some teams just for fun lol:
Scarf Xurk B. Offense

Broken Hail B. Offense

Screens Hyper Offense
I agree with all what you said about the above mons, but rhyperior is in fact RU since it dropped from OU and didn’t get enough usage to stay UU. I do think Tornadus is broken but we must make sure that we look at all viable mons and then determine whether something is broken or not.

ok here we go again.

For what is quite possibly the craziest 7 days of smogon I have ever seen in my life, multiple offensive threats have taken the tier by storm, one that will last all the way till December.

anyways here are the pokemon that I want to talk about.

1. :arctozolt:
it's almost obvious that i'm going to start with this because arctozolt has (almost) singlehandedly given hail viability. Legit nothing lives 3 moves from this thing depending on what coverage moves it chooses. freeze dry ends the water ground types, hydro pump 3HKOs Steelix and Piloswine and low kick handles any other steel types that dared to cross it's path. Oh, and it also has Bolt beak. you know, the electric type version of the move the propelled Dracovish to Ubers? Yeah that's the one. This thing's getting banned on the first of December LOL.

2. :xurkitree:
173 special attack. Yes you read that right. 173. this is an absolute behemoth of a wallbreaker. Resisted hits do a third to opposing pokemon. Hell, if the opponent lacks a ground, this thing basically becomes a slower regieleki with an actual movepool. it has been called broken by quite a few people i've spoken to, and while it does seem broken, i honestly feel that's not the case, atleast for now. this is due to a couple of reasons. First of all, its not quite fast enough to consistently clean games out well without choice scarf, which ends up locking it into one move. Secondly, while it does have a movepool, said movepool is not that great. dazzling gleam, energy ball and grass knot don't exactly inspire fear when it comes to type coverage. Lastly, and what is possibly the most important reason, is that it's walled to death by ground types like steelix and nidoqueen, even specially defensive grasses to a lesser extent. These factors help to balance out it's absolutely monstrous breaking capability.

3. :tornadus:
this is the second broken mon on the list and for good reason. nasty plot enables it to juice up its offensive potential, and unlike xurkitree, it has a stellar movepool to boot,with STAB moves like hurricane and coverage such as heat wave, dark pulse, grass knot and sludge bomb. that's not all though, as with it's hidden ability prankster it can set up tailwind, allowing slower teammates that would otherwise be revenge killed to blow through the opposite team. all in all, it has too much speed, power and utility to be considered healthy for the metagame.

4. :tyrantrum:
HELL YES. Rexy is the physical wallbreaker i've been craving for since DLC1. 121 base attack, great offensive abilities in rock head and strong jaw along with a movepool that can actually USE said abilities? COUNT ME IN. As of now, Tyrantrum is mostly used as a devastating wallbreaker with choice band, using its rock head head smash to plough through even pokemon that resist it and absolutely nuking neutral pokemon such as slowking and vileplume. it even received close combat this gen, allowing it to 2HKO steelix with ease as well. sets like dragon dance and rock polish help to alleviate its mediocre speed along with making it harder to revenge kill and while 71 speed is a bit slow for a scarfer, it can caerainly put that to great effect as well. dragon dance in particular is very good on Tyrantrum, making it a fearsome sweeper with the ability to 6-0 teams alone after just one turn of setup. It can even OHKO max defensive slowking at +1 if equipped with life orb, as this calc shows:

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 376-445 (95.4 - 112.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

in conclusion, Trex is an amazing pokemon in the current metagame.

5 :zygarde 10%:
zydog has returned to RU with its thousand arrows of fury, after being sent to PU in the shifts and is ready to impart vengeance. dragon dance will continue to be as strong as ever with thousand arrows and priority extremespeed along with outrage to clean superbly late game. a solid 115 base speed enables it to outspeed important mons like tornadus. Choice Band can also be used to great effect to turn it into a fast wallbreaker to help punch holes in opposing teams. at the end of the day, zydog will continue to do zydog things and remain good in the RarelyUsed Metagame.

as of now, these are the pokemon I'd like to talk about. we're going to have another shift on november 15th, and i'll probably have a bigger post lined up then discussing the metagame as well.
thanks for reading my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)