Metagame NP: RU Stage 4 - The Abyss (Diggersby banned, see post #65)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't vote to ban Zarude, RU council members. Zarude is the best and most consistent Pokemon in the tier, but something has to be. It is not 'broken'. In fact, Zarude keeps the tier together in many ways and if anything became a little less dominant after Slowking moved up and Cobalion dropped down. Without Zarude you're losing a crucial component of the tier's ability to withstand Pokemon like Suicune, Zygarde-10%, Obstagoon and more. I'd include Diggersby there as well, but I think Diggersby is actually the one Pokemon on the slate that unquestionably should be banned.

Also, banning Slowbro-Galar over the cheesy Quick Draw set would be a mistake, in my opinion. You'd be losing a very consistent defensive cog (especially with Slowking moving up) over the ladder frustrations caused by a very inconsistent set. I understand the temptation, but consider how its lack of consistency sets it back a lot, too. There's a reason Quick Draw Slowbro-Galar isn't dominating tournament games. I'm on the UU council myself and we've had to deal with the same situation before DLC 2 was released and I'm so glad we never banned it.

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader
Please don't vote to ban Zarude, RU council members. Zarude is the best and most consistent Pokemon in the tier, but something has to be. It is not 'broken'. In fact, Zarude keeps the tier together in many ways and if anything became a little less dominant after Slowking moved up and Cobalion dropped down. Without Zarude you're losing a crucial component of the tier's ability to withstand Pokemon like Suicune, Zygarde-10%, Obstagoon and more. I'd include Diggersby there as well, but I think Diggersby is actually the one Pokemon on the slate that unquestionably should be banned.
I'm not super convinced on Zarude either - would much rather see a suspect later on if we have to go through the ban route - but to me that kind of hits on what the problem is with Zarude in a way. It's not the only mon that can do all these things, but because it's here it's considered to be the only one since it completely erases the competition from viability. Consider this, how does Zarude deal with Suicune or Zygarde better than, say, Celebi? It really doesn't, and in fact Celebi has some nifty tricks that would allow it to shine in those roles even better, buuuut using Celebi in a Zarude meta is completely handicapping yourself. You could use Roserade too, except that's using a grass that isn't Zarude and I have tried that, it comes with a ton of problems too. Obstagoon is a good mon too, but using another dark has some handicaps as well, and it's not like Zarude cannot break through setup either.

It might be early though, and like you said Slowking was a big reason why it was almost essential to any team. Cobalion does help (although I have seen way too many replays in preparing for ltpl of Zarude completely walling pivot Cobalion with that stupid double recovery set) but it's one mon. I do think though that if Zarude keeps that up and proves it's just as much a mainstay in its ability to pivot without consequences, force some of the same mons on every team and just completely shuts down usage of half a dozen mons because they are not Zarude, then it's certainly worth suspecting.

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Expanding my thoughts on the nominations:

- Ever since Terrakion and Tangrowth left the tier, this mon has been having such a strong presence in the tier. Our usual ground resists can't really switch into it that well, fearing getting U-turned on and taking half ur HP or getting chipped a bit before falling victim to a Quick Attack sweep. The unpredictability of which set its using, in conjunction to the limited counterplay to each set, just makes it way too annoying to face and prep for.

- While it's true that Quick Draw sets are close to uncompetitive due to how much RNG it's involved when deciding the outcome of games, a set that has been picking up a lot of use in tournament play (with positive results while at it) has been Shuca Berry + Calm Mind. The meta was so unprepared for Slowbro that it always found opportunities to set up. Pokemon that could hit it for super effective damage like Chandelure, Zarude, Rhyperior, etc, all lose the exchange once Slowbro gets a boots going, trading the pokemon for a good chunk of damage on it, which annoyingly enough, could just regain back by switching out due to Regenerator.

- On paper this mon is great. It has an amazing typing, paired with solid defensive and offensive stats and the great movepool to annoy every mon in the tier. The most dangerous set is Substitute + Toxic because it annoys the bulky waters that are usually forced to switch into it and are unable to damage it back cause of Water Absorb, and it's able to force constant chip on dragons that can tank its moves like Noivern and Goodra. I think the lack of recovery makes it an awkward pokemon to use, as it doesn't quite to the same as any of the other bulky waters do since it lacks recovery. Still a solid pokemon on paper.

- Xurkitree is such a demon, spirit basically touched on exactly what makes this mon so insane but whatever. Electric types are considered incredibly good in the tier and xurkitree is at the top because of the incredibly high sp atk stat that keeps on getting stronger with each kill cause of Beast Boost. It has the coverage to hit common Electric type answers like seismitoad/rhyperior with energy ball, and Zarude and the dragons with Dazzling Gleam. It's just super easy to snowball sweeps with this pokemon once u play around the ground types.

- Zarude is such a great mon, in my opinion the best pokemon in the tier. It's stats and moves just make it such a splashable pokemon in any archetype, going from balance to offense (some aquarius type players probs even fit it on stall too). It has such a colorful movepool as well with Close Combat to hit Cobalion, to Rock Slide to damage mons like Talonflame, tho imo the most useful set has been 3 attacks with U-turn and Jungle Healing. I don't personally think Zarude is broken, as there are plenty of answers to it both offensively and defensively, but its sheer effectiveness in the tier is enough to list it here as the top dog in RU.

That's about it I think, probably skipped some stuff but u get it

Ok, this slate is interesting. Gonna try to be brief, as I haven't played as much as last shift:

1608691457205.png

This one was fairly obvious, considering how easy of a time it has against balance and being pretty decent against offense. Even with its middling bulk, its typing gives it plenty of opportunities to set up on choiced mons or drill holes into the opponent's team. I wouldn't mind seeing it go, but it's not at the same level as the last slate contenders.
1608691476942.png

I have been abusing this mon since its release in isle of armour, and while it is the most fun I have had with a mon maybe ever (though I like the more extreme aproach of belly drum instead of nasty plot), it is uneniably uncompetitive and giving it the boot would be a wise choice. With that being said, banning it completely would remove a pretty decent pivot from the tier, being one of the last regenerator mons usable in RU. Maybe banning quick draw instead of the complete mon could work, considering it's only affecting it? (though I would be more simple to just ban it XD)
1608691499993.png

This mon arrived with a bang, fitting inmediately in a bunch of team archetypes. I do agree that sub toxic is the most effective set, as it allows it to beat its own checks (a clear sign of an unbalanced mon), but the uncertainty of the set also plays a big part of its effectiveness (I have seen specs, life orb, all out attacker, even physical as options). It is the most restrictive of the mons in this slate.
1608691541632.png

Oh, my precious boi, they finally have you on the slate. An excellent electric type held back by its bulk and speed (though it is still enough to act as a decent scarfer), the fact that you force a ground type in most teams makes you a bit problematic for the tier, though considering we also have other excellent electric type in Raikou, having a ground/special sponge seems like a no brainer. I do agree that it has a strong snowball potential, but using scarf also leaves it vulnerable to the other popular scarfers in the tier (heracross, darmanitan, zarude), so I am not sure if the boot is necessary on it (I would get really sad if it gets it though, as I love this mon to death)
1608691567100.png

The definition of a glue mon. Its splashability and verstility makes it an excellent choice in almost every team, with scarf being the one I mostly see on ladder. I feel like the tier can passively prepare for it though, having a slight case of 4 move syndrome depending on the set (for scarf, it wants u-turn, STABs, rock slide and close combat, while setup can't really run coverage due to a slot being reserved for jungle healing). I don't think it deserves the boot YET, but we have to wait and see how the meta evolves around it

One thing I find interesting is that Suicune is absent from this slate, considering the poll in the RU chat put it at the same level as diggersby. Maybe it's just people being unprepared to deal with it, but it's still interesting.

I'm a bit disappointed by the high number of brief, on-paper evaluations so far, so I have some pointed questions to ask players:
:slowbro-galar:
Does Quick Draw Slowbro come with significant opportunity cost? By attempting to steal KOs through rolls of the dice, does it compromise its ability to contribute to a team in other ways? Is the ceiling worth the floor, and worth building around?
:volcanion:
How do games with Volcanion often play out? Does it have an easy time coming in and using Substitute, or are there reasonable ways to force it out?
:xurkitree:
Xurkitree may have the coverage to hit Electric switch-ins, but can it afford to risk locking into them very often? A common balancing factor for powerful Choice-locked Pokemon is the potential consequences of using an exploitable non-STAB move.
The voting slate post cites Xukitree's ability to run non-Scarf sets as a potential problem, but are there good reasons for Scarf being the most popular by far? Do these sets "able to break through the Pokémon capable of holding off its Scarf set" come with major teambuilding or in-battle downsides, making them seldom seen in practice?
:zarude:
Several people so far have made vague allusions to Zarude counterplay. What are some concrete, easy-to-fit examples? Are there ways to maneuver around Zarude in a battle that aren't obvious on paper?
A popular opinion is that Zarude holds the tier together, and removing it would open a Pandora's box of overbearing threats. This reminds me of the situation that late-gen SM UU faced: Scizor and friends kept each other somewhat reasonable, but a significant number of players disliked their presence, and banning any one of them would require action on a lot of others and completely change the metagame. It's early days yet, but is this a scenario we want to risk ending up in by preserving Zarude? Preemptive apologies to any SM UU players if I'm misrepresenting the tier here, feel free to correct me.

I've yet to start playing SS RU for myself, but I've been paying a good amount of attention and would love to see more thorough discussion on this important tiering moment.

odr

kickin incredibly dope shit
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Feliburn beat me to it but as the one who pushed for slowbro to be added to the slate, I’d like to elaborate on why. Spirit’s post made it seem like it was put on the slate solely for the nasty plot quick draw set, and that is just simply not true. While I do think that set is very uncompetitive and completely luck based, I don’t think it’s worthy of a ban by itself.

I think the most difficult set to deal with is by far shuca berry calm mind. Scald and sludge bomb are both very difficult moves to switch in to, and make counterplay to this thing very limited. Nearly everything that threatens slowbro doesn’t want to switch into a scald, especially after a boost (think diggersby, rhyperior, zydog, chandelure, marowak, doublade, and I’m sure there are others I’m just listing off the top of my head) and without teleport slowking it’s nearly impossible to safely bring in a mon that can deal with this set without risking status. Even something like seismitoad, which seems like a counter on paper, has to run attack investment to have a chance to 2hko even after the shuca berry is gone, and will easily be worn down if it gets sludge bomb poisoned. Off the top of my head the only mons that can reliably beat this set are clear smog gastrodon and haze dragalge, which are both quite niche. Obstagoon can threaten it as well and doesn’t care about status, but you really can’t rely on it to stick around for the long haul, and you can only hard switch it in once in a game. Keeping up offensive pressure is another way to deal with it but this is easier said than done, as it can simply switch out with regen and try to set up again later if it’s being pressured too hard.

The quick draw set is just the icing on the cake for this thing. I think we all know how silly that set can be so I won’t elaborate on that one. I think I’ve made my point though. My opinion is that this mon is simply far too good for the metagame and extremely difficult to reliably beat and I think it’s a clear candidate for a ban.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll give some of my own thoughts on what I have experience with: (so, all to varying degrees)

- while Diggersby was considered somewhat lackluster when it initially dropped, basically every single tier shift since has benefited it in some way. The biggest changes were Tangrowth leaving, Terrakion / Lycanroc leaving, and finally Slowking leaving. While only Tangrowth was switching in somewhat consistently, the 2 Rocks hampered SD / CB sets by resisting Quick Attack and threatening huge damage on their own while Slowking was an EXTREMELY common Pokemon that could take any one hit from the Scarf set and threaten in return while also being something that Diggers didn't envy setting up against with its SD set. It's arguably the most restrictive Pokemon when it comes to teambuilding personally and while it doesn't win the award for easiest to fit on a team, it certainly is arguably the single biggest threat when teambuilding due to its multiple devastating sets, and thus I feel it should be removed from the tier.

- so I only have experience with this one in NU as they've also been considering a Galar Slowbro QB for the exact same set for similar reasons. I also believe UU was beginning to look into it just before Crown Tundra DLC flipped their tier upside down. While I haven't faced it that much, the sheer fact that 3 separate tiers have at least looked at potentially banning / suspect testing a Pokemon for similar sets for very similar reasons leads me to believe that there is a very real uncompeititve aspect to such a strategy. While I'd much rather just have a Quick Draw ability ban, this generally goes against Smogon tiering history as complex bans are incredibly rare and generally only done when certain combinations of moves, abilities, etc. are too much to handle. The only difference with that is Galar Slowbro is the ONLY Pokemon with Quick Draw as an ability, so there's no real measuring stick as it pertains to if the ability itself is uncompeititve or if Galar Slowbro's other traits are what make it uncompetitive. As i haven't faced Galar Bro much here, I won't comment on whether it should be removed or not, but I felt it important to bring up these specific points.

- The moment I saw Volcanion dropped to RU at the same time Slowking rose to UU, I figured SubToxic would get a lot of attention considering how limited checks to it's STAB moves are. As I mentioned in a video I did with pokeaim, I feel Volcanion is incredibly good right now and while I am leaning toward removing it from the tier, I haven't used it enough myself to fully back such a decision at this time. That said, I wouldn't be against it either, and even the Defog set can opt for Toxic over a coverage move.

- While I feel Xurkitree has been a very strong threat since it came down to RU, I believe it's recent rise to true prominence has been tied directly to HDB and Choice Specs sets. HDB plays very similarly to Zeraora in UU in that it leverages its powerful coverage and amazing Special Attack to force switches and gain momentum with Volt Switch or choose to go for a KO with Thunderbolt or a coverage move. And if hazards aren't down yet, it can easily bluff a Choice item (particularly Scarf since damage calcs will be identical) and when hazards are down, it becomes much harder to wear down. Choice Specs dials it up to 11 and is generally one coverage move away from being able to spam Volt Switch or Thunderbolt the rest of the game. I'm generally on the fence with this one. While it is extremely good and deserving of a vote, I'm not entirely sure it's too much for the tier at this moment. This may be due in part to the fact that a lot of my teams tend to have Ground type, Zarude, special sponge (it's been this way for me for a while tbh) so I may not be the best person to say if Xurk is broken or not.

- this is a tough one for me. While I don't feel Zarude is inherently broken in that it's impossible to counter, there is a pretty serious centralization factor that I feel must be looked at when viewing Zarude. As the tier stands currently, I feel it's very difficult to deny the fact that putting Zarude on your team will generally always make it better. Just looking at usage stats for all non-Uber, non-LC singles tiers for this recent tier shift, RU is the only tier that had Pokemon over 20% usage and a top 10 where multiple Pokemon had under 10% usage; one of the Pokemon above 20% usage left us via usage (Slowking) while the other is none other than Zarude. I feel the main 2 sets it has are Choice Scarf and HDB w/ Jungle Healing. Scarf Zarude is bar none the best Scarfer in the tier, and it's been this way ever since Conkeldurr was QBed as it's difficult to OHKO with neutral attacks and is the fastest viable Scarfer in the tier. HDB w/ Jungle Healing began cropping up as Suicune usage rose toward the end of the last tier shift and is much more flexible in the moves it can run. It can opt for Bulk Up to sweep late-game, Iron Tail to crush Togekiss and Weezing-G, or Rock Slide to keep coveage on Togekiss, but smack Crobat on the switch, or keep U-Turn for momentum. Each of these interations of the HDB set is very solid and works on many teams as none of these move changes takes away from its main role; a hard stop to bulky Water types and reliable check to Zygarde-10% lacking Skitter Smack... which it only runs because of Zarude. And that leads into the centralization argument. Zydog only runs Skitter Smack for Zarude, a move it would definitely not run for anything else. Having a U-turn user is always nice, but it feels more of a necessity to try and gain momentum off of Zarude. So while I feel Zarude isn't broken due to being impossible to counter, I do feel a solid case could be made for removing it from the tier on account of being too centralizing (in layman's terms, this could be classified as being too good for it's own good) Similar to Xurkitree, I'm on the fencw with Zarude.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:ss/Xurkitree:

Xurk clearly isnt broken to me, it's possibly the least impressive of the 3 prominent electric types (Thundurus, Raikou, Xurk). It really should only run Scarf, otherwise you're better off with the higher speed tier of the other two. Scarf Xurk is a better late-game cleaner than they are, but it's way less useful for most of the game and relies a lot more on prediction to make progress; the other two benefit enormously from naturally outspeeding Zarude and being able to hit it with coverage after it switches in on a Tbolt rather than being forced into constant prediction battles.

Just because it can sweep late-game with scarf Thunderbolt doesn't mean it's broken, its speed tier and fragility mean it can struggle to get into battle to chip its checks. Additionally, it's not even a guarantee to sweep late-game once the opponent loses their Ground type. Any team with a scarfer faster than Xurk (most prominently Mienshao and Zarude) will always be able to revenge it.

I'll leave thoughts on the other ones later but wanted to express my strong Do Not Ban opinion for Xurkitree.

btw, if you're looking for a new electric resist to try, Dragalge is a really cool mon rn :dragalge:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Zarude is certainly a very central pokemon to the metagame but I'd argue this is more a byproduct of a bigger issue. Suicune. Not to say Zarude wouldn't be good without suicune in the tier, but the biggest thing that pushes me to add Zarude to so many teams is the presence of Suicune.

Suicune is an enormous pain in the ass. It's extremely versatile, able to run 3-4 different sets successfully and potentially bullshit its way past like... All it's checks. Still, Zarude remains the most consistent answer in the tier, and that's valuable beyond words.

Suicune gets ample opportunities to come in. Between it's bulk and typing, it provides a great deal of defensive utility and checks a significant portion of the metagame. Jungle Healing Zarude is one of the very few suicune answers that don't mind switching into scald, meanwhile things like Xurk, Thundy, and Raikou only switch into it 2 or 3 times tops. Water absorb mons can typically be pp stalled or toxic'd if that's Cune's set. Meanwhile, VinCune has the possibility of even bullshitting past Zarude. There are a few other solid answers like np Mowtom or Celebi, but these are less than ideal choices in this meta. I really think suicune is the biggest problem in the tier after Diggersby, and I hope it's on the next slate

and reliable check to Zygarde-10% lacking Skitter Smack... which it only runs because of Zarude. And that leads into the centralization argument. Zydog only runs Skitter Smack for Zarude, a move it would definitely not run for anything else.
This is true, but there is very little opportunity cost for Zydog to run skitter smack in the first place. Its last moveslot has competition like earthquake and toxic. No points for guessing how often you click one of those. In addition to this, Zarude doesn't take banded outrage all that well, so you could probably afford to drop skitter smack anyway if there were other things it needed coverage for.

not gonna comment on the other mons cus i think everything that cud be covered has been covered on them, i love xurkitree but yeah its pretty obnoxious and i wouldnt mind seeing it go. making this post cause i think the pro zarude ban discourse is flimsy at best. there are different arguments that are being responded to here but they all kinda culminate together anyhow.

- Zarude can employ a multitude of sets including Choice Scarf, Jungle Healing with Heavy Duty Boots, and Choice Band. Outside of Power Whip and Darkest Lariat and U-turn on Choice sets, it can run a variety of moves such as Close Combat, Iron Tail, Rock Slide, and Bulk Up on Jungle Healing sets that all allow it to take on a different set of checks and counters. Its excellent stats and movepool has limited checks to bulky Fairy-types and Cobalion. Without Cobalion, teams are forced to shift defensively to handle Zarude, making it an arguably restricting presence in RU.
the variety of sets that zarude can run seems overwhelming in theory but in practice, and as someone who spammed scarf zarude since it dropped into the tier, the boots jungle healing set (specifically with uturn because bulk up is not actually that useful, but ill get into that later), outshines all the others by a pretty significant margin. this is because one of the biggest aspects of what makes zarude so great is its ability to stop bulky waters like suicune and seismitoad. without jungle healing you really lose out on how effective you are at that role, because between being forced to take sr damage if its up (and it's not really hard to do that considering the rockers are all pretty amazing in their own right thanks to the metagame being kind enough for them that keeping them up is pretty easy to do for most teams) and risking being completely cucked by scald, not running jungle healing is a big hinderance to how it performs defensively. u-turn is way better than bulk up because its way more optimal to take advantage of how much you force out by keeping momentum than having a move that is reserved for breaking, which is also kinda hard to accomplish with the amount of counterplay you have to it.

as far as the other options go, i think iron tail is honestly the only one worth considering because of how amazing togekiss and weezing-g are in this meta. close combat is nice for cobalion but it's not like you're not being directly punished for that either if you're running rocky helmet, and again, any chip on zarude is incredibly detrimental if you're not running jungle healing. rock slide is for like, talonflame i guess? which is cool and all but not really that important either. really, what i'm getting at here more or less is that zarude, while having a great movepool, shines in such a way that using it for anything that isn't a pivot that lasts long and grabs momentum consistently is not a zarude that's being used at its best. is zarude a bad scarfer? not necessarily. is zarude a bad wallbreaker? not really, either. the main thing here is that, unlike the jungle healing set, these roles are definitely not unique to zarude, because we have a plethora of great scarfers and wallbreakers to the point where you can still achieve the same goals that you would be with other mons that you are with jungle healing uturn.

with that in mind, the amount of counterplay beyond cobalion that you have for it is not really that constraining. as mentioned before, weezing-g and togekiss are both really good for providing defensive backbone for teams and aren't completely specialized just for zarude. there are less sound switchins that can still pivot in on it and serve as good checks like any of the super fast flyings, which, again, are all great in their own right and have distinguishable niches. there are also less common options that are still solid choices overall to revenge kill it like scarf mien, golisopod, scarf hera, bewear, etc. they might be scared off by the other sets, but in the grand scheme of things you're not making the most use of what makes zarude so good and are allocating roles to it that can be fulfilled by other mons.

beyond that, while i do firmly believe that it is the most splashable mon in the meta, there are also times where it's like...kind of hard to get it in, especially now that slowking is gone (which also was great for the tier, but whatever) to teleport it in. the loss of slowking and the influx of more breakers like volcanion, cobalion obviously, and maro-a being added to the tier, while not nullifying its effectiveness obviously, make it a bit more restricted in how it'll be able to come in.

in a lot of games in practice, both playing and watching, the most effective method of using zarude is what i've described above, making it so that the other sets, while not necessarily unviable, aren't worth the opportunity cost of not using boots with jungle healing + uturn, and as such the cases for its other sets compounding to it being theoretically unhealthy aren't really valid because you don't have to put in nearly as much effort in dealing with sets that are lacking all of the aspects of the aforementioned set. it basically is what is the most notable feature of how good it is as a glue.

I'm not super convinced on Zarude either - would much rather see a suspect later on if we have to go through the ban route - but to me that kind of hits on what the problem is with Zarude in a way. It's not the only mon that can do all these things, but because it's here it's considered to be the only one since it completely erases the competition from viability. Consider this, how does Zarude deal with Suicune or Zygarde better than, say, Celebi? It really doesn't, and in fact Celebi has some nifty tricks that would allow it to shine in those roles even better, buuuut using Celebi in a Zarude meta is completely handicapping yourself. You could use Roserade too, except that's using a grass that isn't Zarude and I have tried that, it comes with a ton of problems too. Obstagoon is a good mon too, but using another dark has some handicaps as well, and it's not like Zarude cannot break through setup either.

It might be early though, and like you said Slowking was a big reason why it was almost essential to any team. Cobalion does help (although I have seen way too many replays in preparing for ltpl of Zarude completely walling pivot Cobalion with that stupid double recovery set) but it's one mon. I do think though that if Zarude keeps that up and proves it's just as much a mainstay in its ability to pivot without consequences, force some of the same mons on every team and just completely shuts down usage of half a dozen mons because they are not Zarude, then it's certainly worth suspecting.
this seems less of a "this mon is broken" thing and more of a "this mon can lead to a stale meta" sort of thing, and that aspect isn't really applicable to the tier right now. responding to each of the mons you brought up in particular here, celebi isn't worse off just because of zarude, it's worse off because it's not that strong and struggles to really get itself going in any regard. the only sets that i think could be worth running in this meta are hw shenanigans for teams that you play balls out with (rain comes to mind but there are probably others), or something with pollen puff to dick zarude. it being bad isn't a direct result of zarude and honestly out of any of the non zarude grasses i can think of it'd probably be the worst, even tangela and virizion seem like they have a good niche right now. roserade is a great mon too, because it has access to spikes and sleep powder, both of which are pretty important means of progress overall. it's worse off in some aspects than zarude but not enough to the point where i'd rule it out entirely as an unviable choice. obstagoon is actually really solid too, and it goes beyond the scope of being another dark. having that immediate power that lets it blast through fairies more reliably than zarude can ever hope for, and having knock off in a metagame where most teams have like, 2 boots users minimum if we're being really generous because of how essential hazard immunity is, is a massive boon to any team. there are a good number of other examples i could list but you get the idea.

zarude is splashable, yeah, and does centralize the meta. but that doesn't mean it's inherently bad for the tier. like, this isn't even new for the tier conceptually either. looking back at past metagames this year, there were points where things i found that mons like charizard and jellicent were legitimately hard to justify not using because of the same thing what zarude is theoretically doing, in providing significant roles for a team with not that much opportunity cost, and it was way worse back then because we just did not have that many options. but they weren't really broken, they just did so much that it was way easier to just slap them on a team than rack your brain over how to cover things without using them. what makes it so that zarude, something that is still amazing but didn't come close to them in this regard, making this tier stale when we have a lot of options to choose from? in circuit playoffs, despite a lot of teams having zarude and slowking, there were a lot of significant ways you could go about building that make (or made i guess) them great additions to the tier because of how much they contribute.

:zarude:
Several people so far have made vague allusions to Zarude counterplay. What are some concrete, easy-to-fit examples? Are there ways to maneuver around Zarude in a battle that aren't obvious on paper?
A popular opinion is that Zarude holds the tier together, and removing it would open a Pandora's box of overbearing threats. This reminds me of the situation that late-gen SM UU faced: Scizor and friends kept each other somewhat reasonable, but a significant number of players disliked their presence, and banning any one of them would require action on a lot of others and completely change the metagame. It's early days yet, but is this a scenario we want to risk ending up in by preserving Zarude? Preemptive apologies to any SM UU players if I'm misrepresenting the tier here, feel free to correct me.

I've yet to start playing SS RU for myself, but I've been paying a good amount of attention and would love to see more thorough discussion on this important tiering moment.

already went over the counterplay aspects in the first part of this post so not gonna go into that again. most of the people ive talked to have felt that zarude is a positive presence, but there are a lot of key differences between the impact zarude has and what scizor had in uu. putting it bluntly, the pacing and how you would play sm metagames and ss metagames are completely different, and this isn't even just a sm uu vs ss ru comparison. back then, you didn't have boots, and you did have z moves and the existence of pursuit. for scizor, it worked in a way that there were no hard counters because every set you could run on it was incredibly good in its own right, going beyond even just being splashable since z moves can blast through literally anything and pursuit was great in wearing down its checks (scizor ran pursuit on its own but common partners also had it so the typical answers you'd have for it were always at risk), and said answers didn't appreciate being chipped by hazards either. you have to dedicate way more resources on a team to covering yourself against scizor than you would against zarude in this tier. i can't really say for certain what a scizor ban would have done to uu, but i think in comparsion it warped the tier way more than zarude ever could here.

for what its worth i'm pretty sure zarude's not getting banned from talking to most ppl so this post is probably useless, just wanted to give my thoughts.

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader
I'm not going to go too deep into this because like I said, I don't even advocate strongly for a ban at this immediate instant, but Bouff, you can't really say Celebi being bad isn't directly because of Zarude and then point out it can carve a niche only by:

- Healing Wish, which is notably the one thing it holds over Zarude in terms of utility
- Pollen Puff, a move explicitly designed to hit... Zarude

Now sure, it has flaws, but a lot of those flaws are also Zarude dependent too. It's weaker than it immediately, but it has a better setup move and more in terms of workable coverage and recovery and ability (all things it has over the majority of the grass competition), but because it's badly owned by one mon, the immediate weakness is completely exposed, this I agree with... but I'm not sure it would be the case without said mon. Celebi is by far the mon most affected by this, but I think it being the only one might be questionable in the future.

But again, this still strikes me as early regardless. I do think it's an obvious case for debate given what has been seen this night and for that I'm glad it is on the slate as even if it stays, we will have a lot of reasoning bouncing around for later discussions.

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Feliburn beat me to it but as the one who pushed for slowbro to be added to the slate, I’d like to elaborate on why. Spirit’s post made it seem like it was put on the slate solely for the nasty plot quick draw set, and that is just simply not true. While I do think that set is very uncompetitive and completely luck based, I don’t think it’s worthy of a ban by itself.

I think the most difficult set to deal with is by far shuca berry calm mind. Scald and sludge bomb are both very difficult moves to switch in to, and make counterplay to this thing very limited. Nearly everything that threatens slowbro doesn’t want to switch into a scald, especially after a boost (think diggersby, rhyperior, zydog, chandelure, marowak, doublade, and I’m sure there are others I’m just listing off the top of my head) and without teleport slowking it’s nearly impossible to safely bring in a mon that can deal with this set without risking status. Even something like seismitoad, which seems like a counter on paper, has to run attack investment to have a chance to 2hko even after the shuca berry is gone, and will easily be worn down if it gets sludge bomb poisoned. Off the top of my head the only mons that can reliably beat this set are clear smog gastrodon and haze dragalge, which are both quite niche. Obstagoon can threaten it as well and doesn’t care about status, but you really can’t rely on it to stick around for the long haul, and you can only hard switch it in once in a game. Keeping up offensive pressure is another way to deal with it but this is easier said than done, as it can simply switch out with regen and try to set up again later if it’s being pressured too hard.

The quick draw set is just the icing on the cake for this thing. I think we all know how silly that set can be so I won’t elaborate on that one. I think I’ve made my point though. My opinion is that this mon is simply far too good for the metagame and extremely difficult to reliably beat and I think it’s a clear candidate for a ban.
Echoing this strongly because there seems to be a strong misconception that QD Glowbro is the reason its so good. UU wanted to ban this pre-DLC because CM resist berry sets were unstoppable and devolved games into Teleport into a strong Dark/Ground-type (usually Mamoswine, which doesn't even OHKO it btw) and praying they are the other resist berry. We saw even saw 0 speed Flip Turn Dragalge make an appearance just to get the slow pivot out of this monster. I haven't played current RU but glancing at the viability list a boosted Glowbro wins the trade against most of the tier after a boost. NP sets are cheesy memes so the focus should be on the CM sets for sure.

Hey it's me. Been following this for a minute and I don't understand the rationale presented with this Zarude discussion, as to me it simply does not feel like anything concrete has been brought to the table to justify it being in the discussion. I will be forthwith and disclose that I am currently of the mind that the only set that is worth being fully acknowledged is the Jungle Healing 3 Atk set @ HDB: it most clearly and effectively explores and capitalizes on the niche Zarude fulfills in the meta as an offensive glue and multitool for bulky offenses, and while yes it does have a handful of moves, alternative items and so forth that can on paper invalidate certain, conventional initial switches, they in turn sacrifice so much of this utility that I cannot in good faith see them as defining traits to a banworthy Pokemon. In the past we have seen Pokemon capable of great diversity, yes, and that can oftentimes be enough to warrant a ban, but such Pokemon didn't face the opportunity cost that Zarude does in deviating in such a fashion. At this time, if someone wants to compromise such a concretely strong Scald switch for the opportunity to catch Togekiss on the switch with CB Iron Tail, I say more power to them.

From thereon in I feel the arguments for it become highly mercurial, and if you'll allow me I'd like to put forth a somewhat disputed opinion: Centralization should have 0 impact on the ban process. The notion that a Pokemon could get banned over the perception of a 'stale meta' is ridiculous to me, as it is an unquantifiable and entirely subjective assessment of a tier that shouldn't mean anything in the road to developing a final product. You're not bound to this tier if you're not having fun, as lovely as this community may be you can just stick around and get back to playing it when it strikes your fancy as the tiering at large continues to focus on what it should, peak competitive viability. Similarly, this notion that Zarude makes Celebi and other pokemon of its ilk worse is true, and also has absolutely no impact on a decision to ban Zarude. Thundurus' presence makes Rotom-Fan worse, as the DLC has been incorporated we have seen numerous Pokemon become obsolete in this tier due to trickle down power creep and as tumultuous as it all has been that should be something we embrace. I understand that one can say that Zarude's ban would not be a total loss if it were broken, as Celebi could in turn take up that mantle, but that should be a consolation prize to the Zarude ban going through rather than what currently seems to be the only concrete argument for a ban?

There may well be a very strong argument for Zarude's ban, but as I see it no such thing has been put forth here, and the language used to discuss its placement on the slate has been very wishy-washy and akin to the meme Necrozma nomination in early USUM. I personally feel no strong way about it, but know plenty of folks who've been playing more than me that do and consider Zarude to be both balanced and indispensable in the current RU landscape, so color me biased. However, if what has been presented here is truly the entirely of the ban arguments then I would encourage folks to let it stick around until it becomes something truly worth of inspection.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
So this is unrelated to the slate but something that seems interesting rn

Jellicent @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Scald
- Taunt
- Recover

Is a great answer to a lot of the meta right now. Handles glowbro and suicune very effectively, is a solid check to heracross and machamp, and also handles the likes of darm and entei. It has the issue of being a bit of a momentum sink, but overall it seems like a fairly solid mon. Will need a little more experience with it, but probably worth a try.

phantom

Banned deucer.
Thank you to everyone for contributing to this lively discussion. With that, here are the results:

Following this vote, Diggersby is now banned from RU! Tagging Marty and The Immortal to implement this change on the RU ladder. Thank you!

As most people have probably guessed, right now the meta is the most stable it’s been in a long time. With that in mind, assuming nothing egregious drops in January, we’ll be moving to public suspects come new year. Hope everyone enjoys the tier until then. Happy Holidays!

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
There may well be a very strong argument for Zarude's ban, but as I see it no such thing has been put forth here, and the language used to discuss its placement on the slate has been very wishy-washy and akin to the meme Necrozma nomination in early USUM. I personally feel no strong way about it, but know plenty of folks who've been playing more than me that do and consider Zarude to be both balanced and indispensable in the current RU landscape, so color me biased. However, if what has been presented here is truly the entirely of the ban arguments then I would encourage folks to let it stick around until it becomes something truly worth of inspection.
Just going to bounce off this and mention that one of the reasons zarude is so good and at times feels like a necessity is because of Zydog's presence and atleast to me, how it's one of those mons were it forces certain mons to be brought to properly handle it, and part of that is because of how the meta is right now, to me anyway. The main issue i have with zydog is how zydog requires very specific pokemon to be able to switch into Thousand Arrows. I'll list them in order of Viability in my eyes.

1608780908016.png

1608780731346.png
on a bad spread
1608780604572.png

1608781071275.png
on a good day
1608780958220.png

1608781319828.png

1608780663625.png

1608781300526.png

1608780634742.png

1608781012841.png

1608782546926.png

While this may seem like a good amount of options, alot of these pokemon have flaws that can be exploited and/or Zydog has the coverage required to snipe them out. Thousand Arrows and Extreme Speed are mandatory in my eyes, and then it can pick what checks it according to your team. Iron tail smacks the fairies for a free 2hko but i don't find this needed as Sylveon is a roll to live 2, and Togekiss requires max max phys def, which in my eyes, is a waste of a Togekiss, however if you fear Glastrier that much it's ok. Skitter smack is pretty much only for Zarude, but Zarude is so common that i find it's worth putting on as a lure to just remove it. And while also specific, the rise I've seen in Porygon2 usage i find makes superpower a worthwhile option to remove it. While you won't be seeing every option zydog has, such as crunch for Dhelmise and stone edge for golis/togekiss, it's atleast worth pointing out that it *can* do this. Personally i find Espeed,1kArrows,SkitterSmack, and Superpower/Outrage set to be the best at maximixing what zydog can do. Golisipod and Mudsdale are solid, but have no reliable recovery outside wish support, which while not outlandish support per say, your likely better off putting the others on your team instead of putting 2 mons to allow 1 to check it, and not even be guaranteed to get the wishpass off anyway.

Cresselia and Avalugg is likely the safest answer we have, but Cresselia is often a passive blob and usually just worse Reuniclus unless it's a designated trick room setter. Did i mention if you choose to run outrage, you can probably kiss your milotic goodbye if they click it on your milo hard switch, or atleast chipped heavily for another mon it might accompany like Volcanion or Durant, while Avalugg doesn't really do much besides beating Zydog, which makes me sad since i adore this mon but i can't just lie and say it's good at much else.

I have neglected to mention Tangela here but if your being forced to use something completely doodoo like Tangela who has an even bigger fear of knock off than Avalugg, and doesn't really stop the electrics as well as your grass type would like to, especially Specs Xurkitree, and SubCM Raikou. Yes it checks Stakataka but at that point just use mudsdale, who does that aswell as setting rocks, and being a potential stop to Alolawak in trick room if you ev it right.

While some of these mons are seen together like Zarude Togekiss, it still a pokemon that if your prediction game is on point, is really devastating and even when it isn't, it provides alot of pressure that other pokemon can abuse. For example, if milotic came in and took around 42 from thousand arrows, you need to recover after to do it again, and that makes it free switchin for mons that you really don't want to and/or can't give free switchins to like specs xurkitree, subtoxic volcanion. Say you do stay in and they go for a greedy 2nd arrows and you kill it off. Well now your milotic is at like 6 and now pokemon in the back milotic would've held back like Cloyster, Volcanion, Metagross, and Durant, are now free to run rampant.

I don't think Zydog is worth quickbanning per say, but i do think it's a mon that should definitely be discussed more than pokemon like Zarude has been.

1608780604572.png
1608780634742.png
1608780663625.png
1608780731346.png
1608780908016.png
1608780958220.png
1608781012841.png
1608781071275.png
1608781300526.png
1608781319828.png
1608782546926.png

This was a good ban here by the council but i wouldn't mind seeing a suspect test for the mon that gets all the attention, zarude. Atm I don't think that this mon is broken yet but its everywhere on ladder and walls/checks mons like suicune etc, and almost everyone has a zarude check/ counter in the back and that feels a bit restrictive in a way. Its also one of the main reason zydog is made to run skitter smack to beat zarude and it is the only grass in the tier invalidating pokemon like celebi from being used. It also has things over the other grass competition. The main sets I see are scarf and jungle healing bulk up with HDB but while its not the best scarfer right now its probably the most viable/ used one though. Its coverage is not so bad either, it has iron tail to beat the fairies and rock slide for togekiss and crobat mainly used on bulk up that ive seen. It can be annoying with its u turn spam but it get in its coverage mons in the back safely. I feel it now needs a suspect for being very centralizing rn and we can see how the community feel about this pokemon. Feel free to reply add anything or discuss any points i made thanks.

Hi.. like to see the bunny banned but isn't Suicune worth to be vote on.
Only Zarude and Celebi are in is way bc most of the tier dont like toxic or scald burn.

Talking about Zarude i think he is top tier not broken but very splashable. I mostly use BU bc he can beat is counter using only STAB and countering mons using Jungle Healing... I see 1 or 2 scarf in the ladder but i don't like it.
I mean he has counter like Togekiss or Cobalion (RIP if Future Sight GBro come to play) or Darmanitan or Crobat (also RIP). wich most of his counter are good mon in the tier rn, you dont lose anything if running this mons
Zarude is the face of the tier for me

The rest of the vote for me was: Volcanion can be dificult to beat if SubToxi but has other useful set like 3 Attacks + Defog or Specs witch come to play around his checks. And Xurqitree wich is kinda bad if not running Scarf.

Hailfall briefly went over this, but it seems to be worth repeating: Skitter Smack Zygarde is not good evidence for Zarude being overcentralizing. Thousand Arrows has the coverage to do the great majority of Zygarde's job by itself; the next best move it has is Extreme Speed, and after that you're left with two moveslots to run what you want. Might as well use one of them to hit the most widespread Ground switch-in, no? It would be another matter if Zygarde had to use Skitter Smack to stand a chance of functioning in the meta, and at the expense of other, generally better moves, but that's just not how the Pokemon works.

This whole fascination with Zarude's usage is starting to remind me of this one period with Mega Blastoise in SM RU. We considered it the best spinner for offense by a lot, so it got a ton of usage and subsequently a fair number of complaints, even though it wasn't a particularly overwhelming threat to good teams in practice. As time went on, we got better and better at exploiting its flaws and finding more ways to beat it. Eventually, a whole new spinning option in Donphan even rose to prominence. My point is, Zarude may seem overrepresented and the strictly optimal Grass-type right now, but if we give the tier and its players some time to look for solutions, it can very possibly correct itself. Let's not gun for a Zarude suspect ASAP without coming to fully appreciate how it interacts with RU's options, both in teambuilding and in actual battle.

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Why are you guys using skitter smack on zydog when superpower does about enough and has way more coverage vs mons like obstagoon and shuca cobalion ROFL, only accepted use of skitter smack in on DD and even then it's like damn is this set rlly worth in general.

252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zarude: 314-370 (89.4 - 105.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

I'd like to talk about Golisopod a bit, rlly cool mon that checks zydog, zarude, cobalion and actually forces mons like noivern, crobat and togekiss to eat a knock off, losing the boots and easing up beating them down with hazards, super underrated pokemon imo and ppl should try it out.

Also it rlly feels like the only way to make progress in this meta is to knock off boots, I get that muh zarude noivern coba core is epic but the lack of knock off pokemon in so many teams is nuts to me, such an outstanding move to use and the good pokemon that get it like thundurus, mienshao, obstagoon, golisopod, heracross and salazzle are p epic as well.

Also the above comparisson with Zarude and Mega Blastoise isnt rlly the same I feel, I see it more as the same situation as ORAS Venusaur. A mon that's basically the god of the tier and used to check over half the breakers in the tier. Ways to kill it and switch into it exist in mons that you would probably still use on ur teams if it was gone, but it's so good you dont rlly lose much by using it.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Going with the trend of talking Water types, Milotic is one I've been enjoying quite a bit since Slowking left. While it can never hope to fulfill everything Slowking did (nothing can, let's be real) it does a lot of the important things you want a Water-type to do; check Fire types, threaten Ground types, sustain itself well, and then it does a couple of other neat things. Marvel Scale makes it a great switch into stuff like defensive Galar Weezing, Choice Band Entei, and opposing bulky Waters looking to pressure with Scald. Getting burned can actually be an incredible thing for Milotic thanks to Marvel Scale giving it a 50% Defense boost. Additionally, it has great mixed defenses, making it one of the few Pokemon that can check both Darmanitan and Chandelure (Specs Shadow Ball hurts and Energy Ball is a rip) Scald and Recover are mandatory and while Toxic and Haze are both very good, I feel Flip Turn should almost always be run over one of them based on what you have on your team. With Zarude being everywhere, having a bulky Water type that can generate momentum off of it switching in can be absolutely incredible and also allows Milotic to fit onto more fast-paced teams that like having its general bulk to fall back on and Flip Turn keeps it from draining all the momentum like a typical Milotic with Toxic + Haze would do. As is always the case with defensive Pokemon with reliable recovery, HDB can also be used over Leftovers if you lack or choose to forego hazard control, but I feel Leftovers allows Milotic to be a much better burn absorber (and status absorber once it gets burned) for a team. The speed tier is also pretty solid for a defensive Pokemon as it's very easy to outpace max base 55s without giving up much in its bulk. It's definitely not a Slowking replacement, but I definitely feel it should be one of the top bulky Water options you consider for a team now. And Diggersby leaving is just one more Pokemon it doesn't have to worry about using obscene power to brute force past it.

A floor Mat

The Official Floor Mat of Rarley Used
1609120523952.png

Toxtricity @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Overdrive
- Volt Switch
- Sludge Wave / Sludge bomb / Snarl

P.S this post is about Specs Toxtricity in particular XD.

Toxtricity is a electrifying mon in the RU tier, possessing a few traits that stand out from Ru's other Electric types. Toxtricity has a very high base 114 special attack stat that when combined with its ability Punk Rock means it can act as a excellent wall breaker. It has a amazing dual typing of Electric / Poison which gives it a immunity to both T-wave and Toxic allowing it to be a perfect Togekiss switch in. Toxtricity also has excess to Stab Volt Switch which allows it to pivot out of its checks and form pivoting cores with mons like Zarude. Unfortunately it does still face competition with other electric types, lacking the speed tier Raikou and thunderous have as well as the dominos effect of Xurkitree. However its unique dual typing and great wall breaking abilities give it a niche nonetheless.

For its moves, Boomburst is its main choice for its sheer damage, hitting harder then stab Overdrive on neutral mons and just hitting incredibly hard in general. Overdrive is its primary move for rocking flying types of their feathers and becomes a base 104 special attack thanks to Punk Rock. Volt Switch is its stab pivoting move that chips switch ins. For its last moveslot, it can run either sludge wave or sludge bomb for either the extra power or the 30% poison chance. It can ditch Poison stab all together and run Snarl, allowing it to slap Fire / Ghost types like A - Marowak and Chandelure crazy hard.

For its teammates, Zarude is its best friend forming a amazing pivoting core that beats each others checks. Mons who need a strong special wall breaker appreciate Toxtricity as well. Teammates who can check and clear out Ground types help it spam its Volt Switch freely without any fear. Mons who can check Registeel is greatly needed for Toxtricity as it struggles to do much damage to it. Finally, slower wall breakers and sweepers enjoy a free switch in from toxtricity's Volt Switch.

Thanks for reading!!!! I want to know if Toxtricity rocks your soul XD
Shoutouts to the RU chat again for helping!!!

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
View attachment 302866
Toxtricity @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Overdrive
- Volt Switch
- Sludge Wave / Sludge bomb / Snarl

P.S this post is about Specs Toxtricity in particular XD.

Toxtricity is a electrifying mon in the RU tier, possessing a few traits that stand out from Ru's other Electric types. Toxtricity has a very high base 114 special attack stat that when combined with its ability Punk Rock means it can act as a excellent wall breaker. It has a amazing dual typing of Electric / Poison which gives it a immunity to both T-wave and Toxic allowing it to be a perfect Togekiss switch in. Toxtricity also has excess to Stab Volt Switch which allows it to pivot out of its checks and form pivoting cores with mons like Zarude. Unfortunately it does still face competition with other electric types, lacking the speed tier Raikou and thunderous have as well as the dominos effect of Xurkitree. However its unique dual typing and great wall breaking abilities give it a niche nonetheless.

For its moves, Boomburst is its main choice for its sheer damage, hitting harder then stab Overdrive on neutral mons and just hitting incredibly hard in general. Overdrive is its primary move for rocking flying types of their feathers and becomes a base 104 special attack thanks to Punk Rock. Volt Switch is its stab pivoting move that chips switch ins. For its last moveslot, it can run either sludge wave or sludge bomb for either the extra power or the 30% poison chance. It can ditch Poison stab all together and run Snarl, allowing it to slap Fire / Ghost types like A - Marowak and Chandelure crazy hard.

For its teammates, Zarude is its best friend forming a amazing pivoting core that beats each others checks. Mons who need a strong special wall breaker appreciate Toxtricity as well. Teammates who can check and clear out Ground types help it spam its Volt Switch freely without any fear. Mons who can check Registeel is greatly needed for Toxtricity as it struggles to do much damage to it. Finally, slower wall breakers and sweepers enjoy a free switch in from toxtricity's Volt Switch.

Thanks for reading!!!! I want to know if Toxtricity rocks your soul XD
Shoutouts to the RU chat again for helping!!!
I'm kinda gonna go further with this as I've been using Toxtricity and it's actually pretty stupid. This thing legit has 0 switch ins. First and foremost, there's no need for a Poison move imo. Galar Weezing is already getting throttled by Boomburst or Overdrive (or taking an uncontested 50%+ from Volt Switch) and Togekiss, well, it's weak to Electric. "But Eon, what about Sylveon?"
252+ SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon: 237-280 (60.1 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
yeah, what about it?

So I know what you might also be thinking; Steelix must be a decent response to this, right? I mean it's immune to Electric and resists Boomburst
252+ SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Steelix: 139-165 (39.2 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Does it really resist Boomburst? Not only is the on-site spread (252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpDef Impish) 2HKOed with a single layer of Spikes, but full SpDef is 1v1d if it lacks Earthquake as Toxtricity is immune to Toxic, resists Heavy Slam, and resists Body Press.

So let's move on to general Ground types, you know, the Pokemon that prevent Volt Switch users from freely using moves they want to use.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Seismitoad: 376-442 (90.8 - 106.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
looks like a good meal
252+ SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 244 HP / 248 SpD Rhyperior: 169-199 (39.1 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
huh, one switch in. But considering Rhyperior likes to run significant Attack investment in the current meta to threaten stuff, let's see what that would do:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 72 HP / 100 SpD Rhyperior: 204-241 (52.4 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
if you go max Attack and enough for base 50s, this is no longer a switch in.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 243-286 (57 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
not common, specialized spread for electrics, still gone.

So that sucks, but surely at least blanket special sponges can take a switch in, right?

252+ SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 178-211 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Spikes = 2HKO. Volt on the first switch into something that prevents it from staying in to Wish = death on next switch in. PhysDef (not hilarious. It does work against A Wak, Zydog, and other assorted physical attackers) is hella 2HKOed
252+ SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Reuniclus: 225-265 (53.1 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
can't even get cute
252+ SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Overdrive vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 138-164 (37.9 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
and it does what in return?

Ok, so what does that leave us with? Well, you could go with Lightningrod A-Wak to at least make it click Snarl, a move you can generally punish it for locking into. But outside of Alolan Marowak, the only Pokemon that can force Toxtricity to do this are Golurk (underrated) Palossand (not good) Decidueye (lol in a Zarude meta) and Dhelmise (underrated, but lol in a Zarude meta) and Alolan Marowak without Rock Head is way, way easier to wear down or weaker. So, that leaves us where? Well, taking advantage of Punk Rock. The ability will actually backfire on itself and decrease the power of sound moves by 50% should both Pokemon in the field have the ability. So that means your own Toxtricity (but why would you nerf yourself in the process?) Gardevoir via Trace (not switching in due to Poison move threat and Volt still does a ton) and Porygon2 (actually a good response) And this is where those earlier calcs against Ground types are so important. If Ground types generally can't stomach 2 hits from Toxtricity, they won't want to switch in directly. What does that allow Toxtricity to do then? Volt Switch. Sure, it would love to spam moves and claim KOs, but if there's a Porygon2 on the opponent's team, it doesn't have a problem constantly Volt Switching on it to exploit P2's lack of passive recovery and get it down to a point where Boomburst breaks through in 2 hits (Boomburst does 20% min to max SpDef P2)

So how does one go about handling Toxtricity? Well, certainly not defensively that's for sure as we've kind of established it doesn't really have GOOD answers. The fact that its most consistent answer has to turn its ability against it should tell you defensively checking it isn't an ideal scenario. Thankfully, base 75 is pretty easy to outpace so once it picks up a KO, it's pretty easy to foce Toxtricity out with a myriad of offensive Pokemon. Perhaps the best way to approach it is as an Exploud with actual defensive utility (at times) as it might be Poison / Electric by type, but it truly wants to be using Boomburst most of the time. However, let this sink in for a minute; Toxtricity's Boombursts are as strong as Exploud's, but it has a momentum move + mild defensive utility. Remember how crazy Exploud was pre-DLC? Yeah, say hello to the better version.

781-Dhelmise.png

Gonna throw a curveball and talk about one of the most underrated mons in the tier. Dhelmise right now has an amazing spot on defense teams as an offensive or defensive pivot with rapid spin and knock off support. The beauty of this mon right now is the flexibility of EV spreads on the defensive side while still providing offensive pressure to mons such as Suicune, Metagross, Mantine, Raikou, Steelix, Seismitoad, no Heat Crash Snorlax, and Rhyperior. (will post offensive calcs below) Defensive Spreads with anywhere from 172-252 HP allow it to sponge hits from offensive threats such as ZyDog, Xurkitree, no poison move Toxtricity, no Megahorn Cobalion and CM/NP no Shadow Ball Celebi. (will post defensive calcs as well) Heal bell support also alows this mon to be an auto switch-in, wall, and spin against every single rocker in the tier as you can just bring it in, spin on the Toxic, claim an item, then heal bell the toxic off at a later time. And the icing on the cake for this mon is the inclusion of Synthesis. Theres very little in the tier that can stop Dhelmise from healing when its brought in barring a well played double. The only thing holding this mon from being amazing at high level play in my eyes is the overbearing presence of Zarude and the abundance of offensive fire types like Entei, Darm, Volc, and Salazzle. But assuming you have your appropriate counters and sponges for those this mon will stick around in games and be an annoying presence that punishes defensive play. Lefties/HDB/Colbur in order have been what ive found to be the most ideal items

252+ Atk Dhelmise Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 306-361 (58.3 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
176+ Atk Dhelmise Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 40 Def Suicune: 354-416 (87.6 - 102.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
172+ Atk Dhelmise Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Xurkitree: 271-321 (88.2 - 104.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
148+ Atk Dhelmise Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 186-219 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
88+ Atk Dhelmise Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 164+ Def Mantine: 192-226 (51.4 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
88+ Atk Dhelmise Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 244-288 (76 - 89.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
64+ Atk Dhelmise Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Diancie: 266-314 (87.5 - 103.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
56+ Atk Dhelmise Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zygarde-10%: 249-294 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
16+ Atk Dhelmise Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 435-516 (100.2 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

172 HP 252 ATTACK
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Thousand Arrows vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Dhelmise: 92-108 (28.3 - 33.3%) -- 94.5% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Dhelmise: 110-129 (33.9 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Dhelmise: 78-93 (24 - 28.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

248 HP 176 ATTACK
+2 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Dhelmise: 156-184 (45.4 - 53.6%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Overdrive vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Dhelmise: 139-164 (40.5 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Dhelmise: 147-174 (42.8 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 HP 84 DEF 88 ATTACK
252 Atk Zarude Darkest Lariat vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Dhelmise: 242-288 (70.3 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+5 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dhelmise: 150-177 (43.6 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Skitter Smack vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Dhelmise: 88-104 (25.5 - 30.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Dhelmise: 282-332 (81.9 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)