np: SM UU Stage 2.1 - You're Welcome (Manaphy quickbanned - see post 92)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conkelldurr is truly a wallbreaker with no switch-ins. Facade, Drain Punch, Knock Off and Mach Punch along with Guts boosted attacks, Latias, Togekiss and Starmie aren't switching in anytime. Bulk Up and just all out attacking sets put massive holes in stall. However, while the beginning of this thread mentions "despite it's low speed" makes it seem like speed isn't too much of a problem, it really is. This low speed compounded with it's low special bulk easily leaves it as bait for special-attackers like Starmie, Latias, Togekiss and much more. While most special-attacking threats can't switch in to Conk, they can just come in and threaten it out or use it as setup fodder. There are ways to play around Conkeldurr, as the user of Conkeldurr still has to predict around switches and such. While "it has no switch-ins" or "drain punch recovery" are common arguments to prove conkeldurr should be banned, standard pokemon like Primarina that arent just slapped on a team just to check conk are able to come in after Conkeldurr gets a KO and forces it out or revenge kill it. The way to play around Conkeldurr is not to switch things in. Pick a sack, then deal with it. "Oh but if a Pokemon requires the opponent to pick a sack it's broken!!!!!". Plenty of pokemon in the UU metagame require picking a sack: Primarina, Volcanion, Hydreigon, Darmanitan but they aren't broken. NO BAN for conk.
Conkeldurr will have to go from OU just like Heracross from RU, the guts + flame orb set has been buffed ever since the burn damage was nerfed. Besides, Heracross easily replaces conkeldurr as a guts wallbreaker, even though it has a lower attack, lacks priority and lacks drain punch.

This nigga gets it.

Anyway, as stated above, Conk hits like a truck, has above average bulk, powerful priority moves, and worst of all, NO SWITCH INS. Ghost types? Wrecked by Knock Off. Fairies and Fying types? Rocked by Facade. Anything else? Get smacked with Drain Punch, Conk heals up, and you're back to square one except with one less mon. Honestly, the burn nerf this gen really did wonders for Conk, as it turned a decent bulky attacker into the second best wall-breaker in the tier (behind Xurk). Honestly, there really isn't anymore to say and this is a very easy decision for me. Ban the clown on roids!
But seriously though, Xurk needs to go, too
Yeah, besides Heracross will take it place as it's banned from RU now (due to a similar reason) and it'll reclaim its UU spot from last gen. Xurkitree is meh wallbreaker sweeper in UU tbh, lacks strong coverage on the psychium z set and the tg + 3 attacks set can't do much other than wallbreak slow, fatty mons as let's face it revenge killing stops it dead.

this is the conk suspect but I am going to go crazy if I hear this sentiment about xurk echoed one more time

Xurkitree will sweep your team in such a manner if you decide that positive natured base 83 speed is something you cannot reach. That is a conscious decision you make when building your team. It's not really a mystery or something all that complicated: if you are not able to defensively check xurk adequately, you can bring something faster than it to make it less of a threat. This isn't a revolutionary concept - stall teams have been bringing offensive mons (duggy, scarf/band ttar, weavile) for a very long time.
Lmao that base 83 speed is what makes people ditch the z-hypnosis or z-electric terrain set and use a choice scarf set instead even though scarf xurkitree is awful. From what I've seen on the ladder, the scarf set is somehow becoming more popular.

Last edited:
Dude, make one post. Like. We don't need three or four or however many more you're gonna post, just edit your shit into the same post.

Also, still on the fence about Conk. We all know it's strong, has few safe switch-ins, etc, but I'm not really 100% to either side if it's broken or not.

sanguine

friendly fire
is a Tiering Contributor
Yeah, besides Heracross will take it place as it's banned from RU now (due to a similar reason) and it'll reclaim its UU spot from last gen. Xurkitree is meh wallbreaker in UU tbh, lacks strong coverage on the psychium z set and the tg + 3 attacks is slow af.
Okay. I'm going to dissect this piece by piece. I don't get how it lacks coverage when HP Ice/TBolt/Grass Knot covers the entire metagame aside from Kyurem. That doesn't make any sense. I also don't get when you say it's "slow af" when the whole point of the set is to "wallbreak" as you say. Not Sweep. Ofc it's slow but that doesn't have any relevance to its actual purpose as a set. Walls are generally slower than Xurk, so why does it matter.
I honestly don't get your line of reasoning of how it could possibly be a "meh wallbreaker"

Lmao that base 83 speed is what makes people ditch the z-hypnosis or z-electric terrain set and use a choice scarf set instead.
No? Choice Scarf is a trash set. It fails to outspeed Mega Aerodactyl, It can't use one of Xurk's main advantages as a Wallbreaker, it's great coverage. It's the other way around. People use Psychium Z and Z-Electric Terrain because it can clean late game, takes advantage of Xurk's strengths, and allows you to switch moves while also helping to mitigate its mediocre speed. If you had paid attention to the UU meta at all lately you would realize these trends. I hate to call you out but your post is factually inaccurate.

P.S. see how I did one big post instead of two small ones?

Now, I'm not an admin, but at this point we've now spent almost an entire page talking about a completely different wallbreaker that is not the subject of this suspect test. As just a general PSA, if you wanna bitch and moan about Xurk's as an anti-stall wallbreaker, can you please do it somewhere and sometime else so we can refocus the discussion on what's actually being looked at here?!? Thank you

Okay. I'm going to dissect this piece by piece. I don't get how it lacks coverage when HP Ice/TBolt/Grass Knot covers the entire metagame aside from Kyurem. That doesn't make any sense. I also don't get when you say it's "slow af" when the whole point of the set is to "wallbreak" as you say. Not Sweep. Ofc it's slow but that doesn't have any relevance to its actual purpose as a set. Walls are generally slower than Xurk, so why does it matter.
I honestly don't get your line of reasoning of how it could possibly be a "meh wallbreaker"

No? Choice Scarf is a trash set. It fails to outspeed Mega Aerodactyl, It can't use one of Xurk's main advantages as a Wallbreaker, it's great coverage. It's the other way around. People use Psychium Z and Z-Electric Terrain because it can clean late game, takes advantage of Xurk's strengths, and allows you to switch moves while also helping to mitigate its mediocre speed. If you had paid attention to the UU meta at all lately you would realize these trends. I hate to call you out but your post is factually inaccurate.

P.S. see how I did one big post instead of two small ones?
You obviously didn't read my post correctly, I was reffering to bad coverage on the psychium z set not the tg + 3 attacks set. So I'm going to dismiss your reply because of that, since I cba rephrase myself if you don't know how to read.

There's absolutely no need to be cocky about anything! You don't need to attack me personally whatsoever. We're discussing digital monsters at the end of the day, so you need a reality check before anything else. I'm new to smogon, you can look at the date at which I joined. Hence why I'm an amateur at posting replies in a user friendly way, so have some decency you meany. Furthermore, being an newbie to Smogon doesn't mean I'm a newbie to competitive battles or pokemon showdown. Moving on, I agree with BrothaJdogg this is about Conkeldurr not Xurkitree and fyi I didn't bring it up.

Edit: Apologies for getting "wallbreaker" mixed up with "sweeper", I know what they mean it's just a slip of the tongue. Therefore, I meant "meh sweeper" not wallbreaker.

Last edited:
I can see why people would like conkledurr banned but to me it just allows weavile to have one more check removed
I mean, Weav is still fairly manageable without Conk. It's still incredibly frail and still has several checks such as Scizor and mons like Scarf Infernape. Its too frail to be seriously broken, and most things in the meta can live at least one hit from it and OHKO back most of the time. Conk is a very solid check to it tho.

I can see why people would like conkledurr banned but to me it just allows weavile to have one more check removed
"Broken checks broken", which is what you're implying, is a fallacy though. And in general, if the overall presence of a Pokemon in the metagame is unhealthy, you vote to ban it, no matter if it keeps like one potentially other broken thing in check. Being a Weavile check didn't stop Buzzwole from getting banned either, for instance. If Weavile ends up becoming broken because of Conk's potential banning, then just suspect/ban Weavile afterwards. It's that simple.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Apologies for going back to Xurkitree for a moment but I'll keep it brief with just two points:
  • By no means Xurkitree is slow, after a Z Hypnosis boost yes everyone knows by now it's slower than Mega Aero, but that's literally the fastest unboosted Pokemon in the metagame. It outspeeds everything else like the Choice Band Weavile everyone says stall should run and it's not like Mega Aerodactyl is itching to switch into Xurkitree.
  • Hypnosis is more reliable than people give it credit for as it still forces switches on Pokémon like all the waters and Togekiss, so if the switchin is slower (Amoonguss, Steelix, Blissey, Kyurem, nonscarf Hydreigon and Latias which by the way are all common on stall) you get two shots which is a nifty 84%. Potentially even 3 if they switch in something that can't KO you as fodder.
It's completely unfair to dismiss ban Xurkitree sentiments by saying just run a base 84 speed Pokémon or higher. That said there's more to both sides of the argument to that, which I'm sure will be addressed further after the Conkeldurr test (or even before, just look at the last thread where users coalesced around a Buzzwole ban during the Weavile test).

As someone who has used Conkeldurr extensively, trumpeting it before it got popular in SM (https://images.discordapp.net/attac...43649/Screenshot_2017-07-17_at_5.07.17_PM.png), I feel like I should share my thoughts on this Pokémon. Someone mentioned needing to talk about some of Conk’s counters and counterplay on discord, so here goes.

We all know how powerful Conkeldurr is, it's been talked about at length. With a 140 base attack stat and access to a pretty powerful stab move in Drain Punch that also lets you leech 50% of the damage output dealt, plus Façade which in conjunction with a burn status thanks to Flame Orb as an item becomes a 140 base power move that has really good neutral coverage, Conk is one of those mons that is really tough to switch into at times. Add in Priority Mach Punch to offset it's poor speed and threaten out Pokémon that are low on health or frail like Mega Sharpedo, and either Knock Off to hit those pesky Ghost types or Bulk Up to enhance it's Atk and Def stats, and you have a well-rounded Pokémon that can take on much of the tier 1v1.

Now when looking at the viability rankings, Conkeldurr can actually 1v1 most of the top rated Pokémon including Mega Aerodactyl, Scizor, Mega Swampert, Cobalion, Krookodile, Mega Sharpedo, Weavile, Mamoswine, and more. I've found though that it needs to be at decent health to do so which isn't always easy, especially when you're running flame orb which is it's best set by far. Like Mega Aero does 72.7 - 86.6% with Wing Attack to 92 HP Conk, Mega Swampert outspeeds and does 55.6 - 65.7% with EQ, CB Scizor does 45.1 - 53.2% with Bullet Punch and 60.1 - 70.8% with Superpower. My point is that Conkeldurr is not a mon you want to be switching into attacks as it needs lots of HP to 1v1 things. It gets worn down quickly and if it does, it's low speed means all it can really do to faster Pokémon is Mach Punch. I also feel like there is more counterplay to Conkeldurr than most have mentioned here. Often times Conk can be used to revenge kill weakened Pokémon thanks to Mach Punch. Mach Punch isn't very powerful and it's common to carry multiple fighting resists on a team and an opponent can read the Mach Punch and switch to a Pokémon that takes the hit better and can either threaten Conk out or hit conk itself. Pokémon like Primarina, LO Starmie, Celebi, Mega Beedrill and more can are good examples of Pokemon that can take the Mach Punch and threaten Conk.

I also feel like that unlike Buzzwole, Conkeldurr doesn't cause you to teambuild differently as it doesn't invalidate physical attackers and there are a number of things that threaten it. Many pokemon including Primarina, Mega Pidgeot, Latias, Xurkitree, Gliscor, Hawlucha, Celebi, Raikou, Starmie, Togekiss, Volcanion, Jellicent (if not running Knock Off over Bulk Up), Froslass (if not running Knock over Bulk Up), Mega Sceptile, Talonflame, Chandelure, Xurkitree, Doublade (if not running Knock Off over Bulk Up), Metagross (if running Zen Headbutt or CB), Sylveon, Crobat, Decidueye, Roserade (offensive variations), Cofagrius, and Cresselia all win 1v1 and many more win with just a bit of chip like Nidoking and Nidoqueen. I admit that it’s harder to counter defensively as Drain Punch and Façade hit pretty much everything hard barring ghosts. Also Guts as an ability means you can’t really stall it out well unless you catch it with a toxic before the flame orb kicks in. Additionally a few boosts from Bulk Up can allow Conk to muscle past some of the Pokemon listed above, but the choice of Bulk Up over Knock Off leaves Conk walled by Ghost-types. Overall though, there does seem to be a bunch of Pokemon that can slow Conkeldurr from rolling through teams to me.

Conkeldurr is a great wallbreaker, one with great neutral coverage in just a few moves that pressures a lot of teams, but there's enough in UU to keep Conk in check offensively and I feel like it doesn't deserve a ban at this time. I plan to play more and achieve reqs before making my decision but that’s my initial thoughts. Without Conkeldurr in the tier, offensive playstyles will get that much better as there is one less quality priority user to check threats including Weavile, Mega Sharpedo and more.

I also want to point out that while conk is obviously strong when guts is activated, its definitely not as strong without. this makes it a bit harder to get in play, as you pretty much cant lead with it unless the opposing team is extremely weak to conk regardless, and if you don't get conk in on a double switch or volt/turn, it'll have to take a hit and return with a weaker drain punch, before the status activates. This also means that you cant mindlessly switch it into a weavile if it hasn't been statused yet as if it gets knocked off its "crippled" for the rest of the game.
These are undoubtedly not significant flaws of conk, but they are a bit important to take note of when thinking about actually playing with and against conk vs theorymonning. You can lose a lot of momentum if you cant switch in conk in an otherwise ideal situation if it hasn't received its guts boost yet

This is a mon that's not S ranked, but hell, everybody who has faced it knows that the only thing that kept this monster out was buzzwole taking its spot.
I feel that conk is not out of control since primarina is so common but, if you dont run her you are doomed to sac something. However there are other mons in the tier that cause similar impact and nobody bats an eye (xurkitree im looking at you).
I would rather see conk banned, in my opinion not really massively overpowered but is the kind of mon that causes unhealthy playstyles and shifts the meta causing that if you are not prepared with more than one check, its definitelly unfair.

conkeldurr imo is indeed hard to switchin too and hits extremely hard off a whooping 140 base atk stat.
Despite this i dont think its broken and here is why. first off there are many pokemon in the tier that offensively threaten conk that are common. this includes latias, primarina, mega aero , celebi,etc. second, while its hits its powerful stab plus coverage its is still slow and prone to being revenge killed and setup on by some mons such as electric seed hawlucha. however , if conk gets banned expect a rise in the usage of guts heracross and maybe machamp in uu as they are semiviable replacements. In conclusion, if i get reqs im voting no ban because its a viable wallbreaker, a check to weavile and can be dealt with in multiple ways by multiple mons in the tier.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Ok, admittedly, I don't play UU much, so I'm not exactly some giant expert on the meta. But wouldn't suspecting something in S or A+ like Mega Aerodactyl make more sense than testing a Pokemon in A tier? It's not that I don't think that we should suspect Conkeldurr, it just seems like there are more threatening things ATM.

Ok, admittedly, I don't play UU much, so I'm not exactly some giant expert on the meta. But wouldn't suspecting something in S or A+ like Mega Aerodactyl make more sense than testing a Pokemon in A tier? It's not that I don't think that we should suspect Conkeldurr, it just seems like there are more threatening things ATM.
The viability rankings simply just have to do with how well a pokemon fares in the current meta. For example, Xurkitree, a massive threat to defensive teams and a questionable healthiness, is ranked not ranked extremely high due to how it is invalidated by offensive playstyles; a mon that threatens an entire playstyle is unhealthy for the meta, and conkeldurr is even more threatening due to its ability to pick off weakened threats with mach punch. Aerodactyl, while a dangerous mon, has its checks and counters, such as bulky water types, and has 4-moveslot syndrome. Furthermore, Mega-Aerodactyl can help stop Xurkitree from demolishing a balanced team. A pokemon's rank does not necessarily define its healthiness.
Also, many of the public wanted Conkeldurr to be suspected. Plus, having Buzzwole in the tier may have caused Conkeldurr's dangerous capabilities to be overlooked. Finally, there is some talk on the viability rankings for rising Conkeldurr.

So with conkeldurr on hiatus (maybe permanently) I looked to NU who is suspecting flame orb machamp, a much weaker version of conk, but who still fills the same basic role.

No drain punch recovery, and bullet punch is weaker in most cases (though notably, not all of them- steel does have a couple advantages), but Machamp still dismantles stall by himself, just like conk

The real thing being suspected here is flame orb + guts with the burn nerf.... Machamp, Heracross, and now Conkeldurr.

The real thing being suspected here is flame orb + guts with the burn nerf.... Machamp, Heracross, and now Conkeldurr.
Hera and machamp are both deadly to stall, and although conk obviously fills the role better, the only thing machamp really lacks over conk is recovery from drain punch. If conk gets banned, I wonder if we'll see machamp fill those spots to handle stall.

Hera and machamp are both deadly to stall, and although conk obviously fills the role better, the only thing machamp really lacks over conk is recovery from drain punch. If conk gets banned, I wonder if we'll see machamp fill those spots to handle stall.
Machamp is a solid BL2 imo, but it definitely will be used after Conk leaves.

Hello, today I've decided to give my thoughts on Conkeldurr and whether it should be banned or not.

If Xurkitree is the tiers special wall breaker, then this is its physical counterpart. Guts Facade on Conkeldurr hits incredibly hard thanks to Flame Orb. Other moves such as Ice Punch, Knock Off, and Poison Jab allows Conkeldurr to counter usual checks such as Mega Audino, Gliscor, and Sylveon. Conkeldurr also poses a decent bulk with 105/95/65 base stats. Stab Drain Punch also gives Conkeldurr a reliable recovery, which counters the burn damage by Flame Orb. However, faster pokemon such as Starmie, Mega Aero,, Celebi, and Togekiss, can easily revenge kill Conkeldurr before it can go on a sweeping spree. Conkeldurr also has low SpD bulk, which can leave it vulnerable against bulkier pokemon such as Volcanion, Magneton, and Pelipper if it doesn't have Thunder Punch.

Overall though, do I think Conkeldurr should be banned? Honsetly no, its offensive capability allows it to check other threats such as Crawdaunt, Amoongus, and Latias. It also makes for a reliable check against Scizor with Fire Punch. If Conkeldurr gets banned, then the top dogs in UU (Scizor, Latias, and Mega Aero) will all have one less possible counter, causing them to run even more rampant than before. It will also cause Xurkitree to worry about one less threat than before (because of Earthquake), and Xurkitree doesn't have that many relialbe counters to begin with due to Energy Ball. And if Heracross is coming to UU, then Conkeldurr's ban will immediately go in Heracross's favor because of Fire Punch, and being another Guts user, Heracross will basically continue what Conkeldurr started. Even though It's strong, I think Conkeldurr's capability and ability to check other pokemon that would be incredibly threatening without it makes it healthy for the UU tier.

Last edited:
Hello, today I've decided to give my thoughts on Conkeldurr and whether it should be banned or not.

If Xurkitree is the tiers special wall breaker, then this is its physical counterpart. Guts Facade on Conkeldurr hits incredibly hard thanks to Flame Orb. Other moves such as Ice Punch, Knock Off, and Poison Jab allows Conkeldurr to counter usual checks such as Mega Audino, Gliscor, and Sylveon. Conkeldurr also poses a decent bulk with 105/95/65 base stats. Stab Drain Punch also gives Conkeldurr a reliable recovery, which counters the burn damage by Flame Orb. However, faster pokemon such as Starmie, Mega Aero,, Celebi, and Togekiss, can easily revenge kill Conkeldurr before it can go on a sweeping spree. Conkeldurr also has low SpD bulk, which can leave it vulnerable against bulkier special sweepers such as Volcanion, Magneton, and Pelipper if it doesn't have Thunder Punch.

Overall though, do I think Conkeldurr should be banned? Honsetly no, its offensive capability allows it to check other threats such as Crawdaunt, Amoongus, and Latias. It also makes for a reliable check against Scizor with Fire Punch. If Conkeldurr gets banned, then the top dogs in UU (Scizor, Latias, and Mega Aero) will all have one less possible counter, causing them to run even more rampant than before. It will also cause Xurkitree to worry about one less threat than before (because of Earthquake), and Xurkitree doesn't have that many relialbe counters to begin with due to Energy Ball. And if Heracross is coming to UU, then Conkeldurr's ban will immediately go in Heracross's favor because of Fire Punch, and being another Guts user, Heracross will basically continue what Conkeldurr started. Even though It's strong, I think Conkeldurr's capability and ability to check other pokemon that would be incredibly threatening without it makes it healthy for the UU tier.
I think the problem with your post is that you list a lot of things that are inaccurate or irrelevant. Conk typically runs Mach punch, drain punch and facade, with one filler slot which is usually either bulk up, Knock off, or ice punch. Thunder punch and poison jab aren't really relevant since a SE hit will do only slightly more than guts facade. Conk pretty much will never run EQ. Conk is also not a counter for latias, who KOs with a psychic move and a small amount of prior damage. Aero can be killed by Mach punch, but it needs to have taken a good amount of damage prior. Same deal with xurkitree. Both can pick off conk with respective stab moves.

Also, volcanion is a wall breaker, magneton is a trapper/wall breaker that runs volt switch, and pelipper is... beyond irrelevant. None of those 3 is a sweeper.

Sacri'

the end is here
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Conkeldurr is a great wallbreaker, one with great neutral coverage in just a few moves that pressures a lot of teams, but there's enough in UU to keep Conk in check offensively and I feel like it doesn't deserve a ban at this time. I plan to play more and achieve reqs before making my decision but that’s my initial thoughts. Without Conkeldurr in the tier, offensive playstyles will get that much better as there is one less quality priority user to check threats including Weavile, Mega Sharpedo and more.
I felt like this post was interesting as a whole but this part is contradictory. You're basically saying that the only way to deal with Conkeldurr is pressuring it offensively but you also say that offensive playstyles will get much better if it leaves. Aren't bulkier teams the ones that are threatened by Conkeldurr the most ? Wouldn't it be beneficial for them if Conkeldurr left ? I do agree that Weavile and Sharpedo will get better if there is one less threat to revenge kill them but as a whole it seems obvious that bulky teams will greatly appreciate Conk's departure whereas offensive teams get one less huge threat to use. My issue with Conkeldurr is that it threatens every single playstyle, the only difference is that it might require to win a 50-50 agaisnt offensive teams (Mach-Punch/Facade 50-50s in Latias/Primarina match ups for instance) but even then it's still able to get hits off (which are nearly impossible to tank for frailer teams) vs many different popular threats such as Scizor, Cobalion, Weavile and so on. The metagame has shifted in a way that makes Conkeldurr incredibly threatening regardless of the style it's used against. Most ghost types are mediocre and you need to scout for Knock off if you want to switch them in which is usually very hard to do, those are not counterplays at all. We do have things that can tank Mach Punch and deal with Conkeldurr but obviously none of those things can come in and many of them can easily be put into Mach Punch range. I'd also like to point out that Pursuit's overwhelming popularity makes Psychic types way easier to play around thus making Conkeldurr even more threatening.

I've obtained reqs and they only confirmed my opinion: Conkeldurr should be banned.

If Xurkitree is the tiers special wall breaker, then this is its physical counterpart. Guts Facade on Conkeldurr hits incredibly hard thanks to Flame Orb. Other moves such as Ice Punch, Knock Off, and Poison Jab allows Conkeldurr to counter usual checks such as Mega Audino, Gliscor, and Sylveon. Conkeldurr also poses a decent bulk with 105/95/65 base stats. Stab Drain Punch also gives Conkeldurr a reliable recovery, which counters the burn damage by Flame Orb. However, faster pokemon such as Starmie, Mega Aero,, Celebi, and Togekiss, can easily revenge kill Conkeldurr before it can go on a sweeping spree. Conkeldurr also has low SpD bulk, which can leave it vulnerable against bulkier special sweepers such as Volcanion, Magneton, and Pelipper if it doesn't have Thunder Punch.

The problem I have with your post / logic is that Smogon collectively decides not to ban something because it will possibly keep other top threats in check. If Conk is ban worthy, it will be banned; if (and that is a big if) other pokes like Scizor and Latias become broken bc of the lack of conk, then the community will take a look at those pokes (and suspect them if needed) when that time comes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)