Hello, as promised earlier, the council was to vote on the new drops.
Inteleon has been quickbanned from SS PU. Araquanid has been quickbanned with the condition of an immediate suspect test to determine whether reintroducing it would be a good idea. Doublade and Guzzlord have remained in the tier.
Inteleon was incredibly busted to nobody's surprise. The ability for it to OHKO or 2HKO 90% of the meta without boosting or setting up is insane. It's too powerful to a point where the only viable Pokemon that reliably answer it are Lanturn and Max SpD Wishiwashi; which aren't exactly Pokemon you want to be forced to run on each team. Its speed tier at 372 is only outsped by Ribombee as a common Pokemon, and otherwise Jolteon or Choice Scarf users are a requirement in order to be faster. Even if it opts for a set other than Choice Specs, for example Focus Energy, it is able to get past teams that would abuse Protect spam in order to defensively deal with it. Either way, clearly not a healthy Pokemon in that regard and way too powerful for our tier.
Araquanid is an interesting case however. While it's Substitute + Toxic sets look difficult to deal with on paper, it is yet to really see much usage due to people spamming broken Inteleon over the last few days. Usually we would wait for it to be proven as broken prior to banning it; however, we would prefer to see how it is prior to allowing it in tournaments. Araquanid hasn't been proven as broken though so we're going to suspect it back into the tier. In terms of ladder, this is essentially the same as not banning it and just holding a suspect test, especially since it'll still be permitted on the ladder.
PU is re-suspecting Araquanid after quickbanning it. Araquanid will be allowed on the suspect ladder, but will not be allowed in PU tournaments (namely PUPL & Grand Slam Playoffs) unless the decision of this suspect test results in "Unban".
What makes Araquanid potentially unhealthy to begin with? Well, Water Bubble makes its Water-type attacks incredibly strong off the bat with very little resistances, and theoretically its Substitute + Toxic set allows it to break past Jellicent which resists both its STABs. There's very little defensively that can switch into Water Bubble boosted Liquidation, that doesn't mind being hit with Toxic. Having Bug-type as a secondary STAB allows it to super-effectively hit Water resistances such as Eldegoss and Guzzlord. Substitute allows it to prevent Pokemon like Ferroseed and Wishiwashi that would normally counter Araquanid from denting it, and overall can be painful to deal with.
On the other hand, Araquanid is absurdly slow. Its Water-type STAB, while powerful, isn't unwallable. There are faster more versatile Pokemon that can pull off similar offensive sets. Water/Bug is an atrocious defensive type as well in our current metagame as well. While you can switch into some select attacks like Sandaconda's Earthquake, Araquanid can generally be difficult to position in correctly. It has competition in terms of Water-type breakers from Choice Specs Jellicent and even Arctovish (which is faster and stronger). Araquanid also struggles to use its Bug-type STAB to accomplish anything as it comes off a measly offensive stat of 70, which isn't boosted from its ability unlike its Water-type attacks.
Reading this is mandatory for participating in the suspect test. The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 79 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 79 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 83. Also, needing more than 50 games to reach 79 GXE will suffice.
- You must signup with a newly registered account on Pokemon Showdown! that begins with the appropriate prefix for the suspect test. For this suspect test, the prefix will be PUAS. For example, I might signup with the ladder account PUAS Chloe.
- Laddering with an account that impersonates, mocks, or insults another Smogon user or breaks Pokemon Showdown! rules may be disqualified from voting and infracted. Moderator discretion will be applied here. If there is any doubt or hesitance when making the alt, just pick another name. If you wish to participate in the suspect, you should be able to exhibit decent enough judgement here.
- We will be using the regular PU ladder for this suspect test. We will not be creating a new Suspect Ladder. At the beginning of every battle, there will be an announcement denoting the ongoing suspect with a link to this thread.
- The aspect being tested, Araquanid, will be allowed on the ladder.
- Any form of voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will be handled and sanctioned.
- Do not attempt to cheat the ladder. We will know if you did not actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied.
- The suspect test will go on for two weeks, lasting until Sunday, July 17th @ 11:59pm (GMT-4), and then we will put up the voting thread in the Blind Voting subforum.
Post your reqs here.