np: SS UU Stage 4: Heads Will Roll (Haxorus banned; Drizzle banned too, see post #57)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Scizor most likely making it back up to OU next tier shift I have a question.

What are your guys thoughts on Scyther? It got a lot of new tools this gen.

First off is HDB which gives it an immj it to SR. This is massive and takes away its biggest weakness.

Second off it gets Duel Wingbeat which is a 120 BP stab flying attack that beats sashes.

With a great speed tier and great base 110 attack stat. HDB, Powerful stab in Duel Wingbeat and U-turn. Access to moves like Defog, Roost, and a pretty decent move pool when combined with Technician.

I could see this thing doing decent in a Scizorless metagame.

Some things I've been experimenting with:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Flip Turn
- Scald
- Protect / Toxic

Pseudo WishPort Vaporeon. Having access to a pivoting move is a huge boon for this Pokemon regardless of what set you choose to run. You can probably run less Speed IVs or a Relaxed nature or something to replicate the feeling of using Teleport if you want, but since this mon's slow anyway, it's not necessary imo. Anyways, being able to bring in something safely to receive a fatass Vaporeon Wish is so nice.

Grassy Glide makes this mon dumb af. Ban this pos.

Weezing-Galar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest
Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Strange Steam
- Fire Blast / Thunderbolt
- Misty Explosion

Misty Explosion finally gives Galarian Weezing a reason to use Misty Surge as an ability, thanks to being able to set up Misty Terrain for an extra-powerful Misty Explosion, backed by STAB and Choice Specs on top of it. Considering the current environment, overriding Rillaboom's Grassy Terrain also makes coming in on its Grass-type moves, especially Grassy Glide, a bit easier. Not only that, having Misty Terrain around makes coming in on stuff like Draco Noivern easier, too. I don't think this set will usurp its more bread-and-butter defensive sets w/ Levitate, but this has been a fun little change of pace for Galarian Weezing ^^

Underrated mon incoming:

Golurk @ Colbur Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Golurk f i n a l l y has a strong Ghost STAB. My team was looking for an offensive Ground rocker that offers a stopgap to Toxtricity, and this mon just so happens to have everything I needed. Poltergeist is dummy strong, 2HKOing Mantine trying to Defog your rocks away. OOs for items are Life Orb or other attack-boosting items, but I like Colbur to take on John Cenaroar.

Here's some replays of the aforementioned mons. Currently experimenting with Dual Wingbeat Scyther as a Defogger, as well, but it hasn't really been doing much for me atm.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1134668231
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1134672961

I'd like to immediately suspect Amoonguss. Y'all #!@% finally started to appreciate Vileplume, then this shit.

EDIT

So..Grassy Glide, plus the immediate benefits of Grassy Terrain (the raw power boost, especially), is Grassy Terrain the best terrain? Even if Rillaboom would be lost to UU, would manually setting it up be worthwhile?

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
:ss/scyther:

Scyther @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Dual Wingbeat
- Knock Off / Roost

After playing a bit and being very hyped about it before showdown went live yesterday, I definitely agree with Liquidocelot that Scyther is a really cool new addition to this pre-July metagame, with it gaining a 120 BP flying stab and boots. I've personally been loving Swords Dance + u-turn sets in particular, which really nicely abuse our lack of good long term flying-checks, that it can easily wear down with U-turn/Knock. While it definitely doesn't like Noivern, it absolutely cannot come in safely on it, which is a plus. Through playing I tended to find Roost a rather mediocre option in the fourth slot, not tending to really click it very much in comparison to having an attack that can get through Doublade and a 60% or lower Rajah.

Sleep Powder Roserade in particular has been a phenominal partner for this, abusing Rhyp and phys def Washtom for it, threatening shared checks in Noivern/Rajah with Sleep, and setting spikes to further chip Rajah/Rhyp into range of its attacks.

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
I’m at work with less than half of my office in, so it’s time for another post lol. I was going to make a post with all the mons that I thought would be cool in UU, but others beat me to it, so I’ll just highlight some that I’m excited for:

:Starmie: :Tentacruel: :Tsareena: :Claydol:
For as long as I can remember now, removal in UU has been pretty lackluster, but all of these 4 seem like pretty solid options this time around. Starmie has a crazy movepool and isn’t limited by Pursuit like it was in SM, and its 115 base Speed is extremely good for UU standards. I think Tentacruel will be phenomenal due to its defensive typing + Sylveon forming an amazing defensive core with it. Good compression with Haze + Knock and with the +1 speed it can actually outspeed quite a bit. Tsareena gets the new Ice move, letting it run something like Grass + Ice + Knock coverage alongside Spin and also has the option of using HJK for Steel-types too. It’s always suffered from 4MSS but being able to threaten bulky Waters + Grounds is always good compression for offensive builds. I’m really excited for Claydol, which can pick between SR and Spin, gets the new Ground move, and can be really annoying due to status + solid offensive coverage.

:Scyther: :Scizor:
Really disappointed that its base Speed is 105 and not 110, but at least SD sets will be a lot of fun to play with given that it has a 120 bp Flying move now. Scizor does Scizor things and isn’t new to anyone, and I’ll be excited to see how it fits in a tier with Keldeo, Cobalion, Tentacruel, Chandelure, etc, but a Steel with reliable recovery = bless.

:Tauros:
Could be somewhat solid? 100 base Attack + Sheer Force + LO with Normal / Ground / Rock coverage could be neat. Probably won’t have a huge impact but I like Tauros so it makes the list.

:Heracross:
Not sure if this stays OU or not but I could easily see it dropping, and it’d be a pseudo-Obstagoon with Guts and could definitely rock Choice sets too. Actually pretty excited for this one if it ends up dropping. #FreeGoon btw

:Exploud:
Toxtricity v2.0 with insane coverage. It can’t pivot, its Boomburst does a tad less than Toxt’s, and its speed tier is worse, but maybe with the probable increase of Ground/Steel types, it might have a niche? Hard to tell but like Tauros, I love its design, so it made the list.

:Sharpedo:
The beloved Spikes offenses return :bite: Rapid Spin being a bit more spread now will be annoying, but Klefki / Froslass can annoy all of the spinners quite a bit due to taunt status + Magnet Rise, so perhaps this playstyle could return? It obviously won’t be as good without stuff like Mimikyu and megas, but who knows.

:Stoutland:
Gigalith Stoutland teams anyone? Really excited for this doggo, seems like it’d do really well with its base 110 attack + Sand Rush + respectable movepool, but it might struggle to get through mons like Rhyperior and Doublade.

:Krookodile:
Intimidate, Stealth Rock, Knock Off, Taunt? Yes please. Very splashable, not sure how much traction it’ll get in OU but I’m assuming it’ll drop and having more Ground-types is never a bad thing.

:Mienshao:
Soooo excited for this beast. It can run stuff like AV Regen, LO, and Choice sets, making it an extremely versatile mon with a really good movepool too. I can easily see this becoming a staple on offense and Mienshao is one of my favorite mons design-wise ever so you’ll likely see this on 80% of my teams.

:Druddigon:
Another really good SR user that teams really struggle to switch into, especially with access to Gunk Shot for Sylveon. Who needs Duraludon anyway when you can use this instead?

:Talonflame:
Again, hard to tell whether this drops from OU or not, but the oven is prevalent there and I can’t see that changing. Toxic + Taunt could make waves but if it does drop, I could see this being really annoying. SpDef Taunt sets, SD with the new Flying move, etc. Could be a nice addition for another real Flying-type but only time will tell.

:Palossand:
I feel like a broken record now but SR with really good typing + the new Ground move seems really annoying to deal with. I could see the sand castle being a staple alongside things like Tentacruel and Sylveon.

I tried to keep this list to only things that I was excited for. I definitely missed more and I was too lazy to include existing mons with new moves (Power Herb Necro, prio Rillaboom, etc) but I hope it was still a fun read. Keep the great posts coming!

Indeedee (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire
- Trick

Indeedee is a lot scarier now that it has access to Expanding Force, which essentially becomes a 156BP Psychic move. This makes Choice Specs sets a lot more potent as shown with a couple of calcs below (I've taken out Psychic Terrain because it's already being accounted for). Expanding Force is strong enough to either drop most Pokemon or 2HKO them. The bulkier Steel-types like AV Copper and Escavalier fear Mystical Fire but if they take an Expanding Force then the next time they come in they are in 2HKO range, which makes this Pokemon a lot less prediction reliant. The main exceptions to this are Bronzong, Umbreon, and Chansey. The former has to fear Mystical Fire and can be crippled by Trick. As for Chansey, you'll never break it unless it is at like 50-60% when it comes in so you're forced to Trick it. Both sets shown are able to 2HKO offensive Incineroar so it isn't a safe switchin while Specs can 3HKO SpD Incineroar with Hyper Voice. A little team support and wearing down Incineroar isn't too problematic. With this tier having about 4 viable Dark-types it's relatively easy for it to just spam this move.

252 SpA Choice Specs Indeedee Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Rhyperior: 372-438 (85.7 - 100.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Indeedee Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gigalith in Sand: 183-216 (48.9 - 57.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Indeedee Psychic vs. 224 HP / 124 SpD Escavalier: 140-165 (41.5 - 48.9%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Indeedee Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Necrozma: 181-213 (54 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Indeedee Psychic vs. 0 HP / 172 SpD Assault Vest Copperajah: 119-141 (30.9 - 36.6%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Indeedee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Expanding Force
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire

I have tried a Calm Mind set also, which is another effective set capable of cleaning late-game or wall-breaking early. This makes Indeedee less prediction reliant against some of those bulkier Steel-types I alluded to earlier with it being able to 2HKO Bronzong at +1 and take a hit. This struggles to break Chansey without a lot of support because it can stall out your Psychic terrain turns before you've accumulated enough boosts to potentially break it. Hazards are a good way to help with that though.

Indeedee has a good amount of advantages over the Psychic-types because it isn't revenge killed by Ghost-types like Doublade as easily and it can also offset Grassy Terrain from Rillaboom, which we otherwise lack ways to remove aside from pressing Defog but taking up a turn to remove a terrain isn't too optimal. You obviously can't switch directly into Rillaboom but it's a nice addition it has going for it. Indeedee also has a really nice Speed tier, which leaves it with fewer revenge killers than something like Gardevoir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)