Metagame np: Stage 4 - Celebration (Feraligatr Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So, uh, March quickrises apparently took Steelix, Virizion, and Camerupt from us.... Didn't know quickrises/falls were happening this month
If a Pokemon has enough usage in a tier above 6.7%ish then it will rise, also if a Pokemon has below 1.7%ish then it will drop. Its a way to keep things changing and having things settle accordingly as opposed to having to wait 3 months. The big changes will be every 3 months.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Wow, every tier shift seems like we're getting one step closer to BW NU. We no longer have any fat, obnoxious Steel-type behemoths now; therefore Kanga and Zangoose are once again terrifying. Scyther is gonna have a field day, as will VoltTurn in general with the loss of 2 defensive pokemon that resist U-turn and were immune to Volt Switch.

With the recent loss of Heliolisk and Virizion, the speed tiers settle down a little bit; the fastest mons are back to Swellow --> Sneasel ---> Archeops ---> Base 106s ---> Base 105s. Nice for Liepard, Mismag, Pyroar who are back to being in a more favourable speedtier.

idk what else to say really. I really like the way this meta is looking more and more with each change. Typh and Gatr could srsly gtfo; but I can manage its w/e :]

vivi's lookin like a threat oml. it's hardest counter just left the tier, and it can use energy ball/giga drain to get by p much all the bulky rock types that think they can switch in on a hurricane. increased klinklang viability doesnt really help it that much but it's still lookin like a mon with a new lease on life with these tier shifts.

ferroseed is fat and obnoxious

flcl y u do dis :/

I am really keen to see new and creative teams happening again. Not the same old Steelix/Xatu/Yama cores. Predicting balanced teams to rule the tier again although offense (Klingklang, Mawile, physical attackers stopped by lix) and stall (bye mega camerupt) should have an equal opportunity to utilise their strategies.

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
With virizion gone, gatr has gained yet another strength, I am one of a few using a Scyther U-turn + scarf Virizion to take down gatr and now we're running out of offensive options to check it.

NU is losing so many pokemon haha, it's almost XY NU with all the tier changes xD
Expecting a massive rise in CM psychics soon, my baby musharna gonna get good :] Looking forward to see what team building will be like, whether it will resort back to XY teams or keep a sense of ORAS in the teambuilding with still the use of mantine and lanturn etc.

Orphic

perhaps
NU is losing so many pokemon haha, it's almost XY NU with all the tier changes xD
Expecting a massive rise in CM psychics soon, my baby musharna gonna get good :] Looking forward to see what team building will be like, whether it will resort back to XY teams or keep a sense of ORAS in the teambuilding with still the use of mantine and lanturn etc.
I hope a sense of oras remains, it'll be sad if it doesn't :) ive already been using calm mind musharna in a post steelix team I built and it's working wonders!

LOL Audino is literally the only NU Mega. That's... that's just sad.
It's probably better now it has literally no opportunity cost tho, right? Like really unlike any other tier it's a Mega you can just slap on any team and you're not having any opportunity cost because there are no Megas.

Actually, Mega Audino has an oppertunity cost because it loses out on Regenerator.

But tbh, we have more pressing matters to attend to atm. Which is the ban of Feraligator, because the bugger is simply too overpowered in between its movesets ^ . It has no checks or counters anymore since people go mixed or even special with it now, or combine it with Wrath, or other stuff like that, quickly wearing down the Gatr checks.

Not to mention Mega Audino doesn't fit on a lot of teams unlike Steelix and Megarupt which could literally be used on every single archetype. Audino is limited to (semi)stall, balance, and bulky offense at most and the tier doesn't seem to favor bulky teams atm with Gatr running havoc on the meta.

did i miss something in 24hrs that we lost more mons? can we relabel this XY NU then + 1 mega because this is.....bland now

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
did i miss something in 24hrs that we lost more mons? can we relabel this XY NU then + 1 mega because this is.....bland now
+ sf gate + quag, mawile, andclaydol, all of which are popular enough Mons to shake the tier up a little. Plus, if the tier gets stale, the only people to blame are ourselves. And Ru. Fuck them. But seriously. Making the tier interesting is kinda something that only we can do. Don't complain; make it better.

In addition, if Gator DOES end up being banned, that's a massive change from XY NU because it was one of the metagame-defining threats there.
We uh... also don't have base steelix and base camel I guess.

This was a terrible tier update. I can accept Heliolisk and Mega Steelix being banned but you also ban Mega Camerupt and Virizion? This is terrible to the tier and I think detrimental to the NU metagame.

The only mega left to use is Mega Audino and that isn't even that good considering we are in NU. The tier is so bland and watered down now, that it isn't fun playing anymore.
Uh it wasn't anyone's choice to ban Virizion and Camerupt lol; they went up by usage.

cyanize

Mantra Good I Casted So Many Spells U Idiot
is a Community Contributor
Tbh megarupt would prolly eventually have gotten banned anyway; with the combination of the tendency of NU to ban offensive megas and 3 of its biggest threats leaving (megalix, helio, gatr) it would run wild and 2HKO the whole meta. Kinda sucks that viriz left though; I liked using scarf virizion.

e: grammar

So, why does the council hesitate on Gatr's quickban?
I believe it's been stated a few times here. We literally just finished up a suspect that resulted in bans. We should at least give it more than 2 days to settle before we kick Gatr out. Don't worry, I'm 99% sure something will be done. It's just too early to correctly judge how Gatr and Typh will shape the meta. Granted, yes, we do have a good idea of how it will turn out.

So, why does the council hesitate on Gatr's quickban?
Its not fair to ban a Mon which does have "counters". Sure there are less than there were a few months ago but quick banning it wouldn't be fair. Sure its probably too good rn, but, that's for the council to decide. For now, just use poliwrath and hope for the best imo

DW, if its not leaving through quickban, it will through a suspect

I fail to see how ORAS NU is the same as XY NU, given that Quagsire, Mawile and Claydol dropped, a lot of mons left(Slurpuff, Sceptile, Pangoro, Dragalge, Steelix, and that's just the more relevant ones, not even going to dig into the likes of Beedrill), and stuff like Gatr, Typhlosion, Audino and Kecleon got big buffs as well(and if the former two get banned that's even a bigger change since they absolutely ruled the show in XY.)

also if you feel like blaming someone for this anyway, don't blame the council. At most they banned mons bound to rise regardless.

Last edited:
I believe it's been stated a few times here. We literally just finished up a suspect that resulted in bans. We should at least give it more than 2 days to settle before we kick Gatr out. Don't worry, I'm 99% sure something will be done. It's just too early to correctly judge how Gatr and Typh will shape the meta. Granted, yes, we do have a good idea of how it will turn out.
I know, I know. I just wanted to post something to make my post not seem 100% shitpost.

That being said and done, I'm truly, truly enjoying Servine currently. More specifically Scarf Servine. I gotta give it to KingT for mentioning it (in RU tho) as damn it's a fun mon. It's like, Serperior without the broken elements. Just get your team to soften Vine's checks and go ham late game. Or, you can even use it to soften up checks for your team mate (or decimate their defensive cores if they are careless) and it can revengekill a +1 Feraligatr (or SD gatr) without any worry at all. It's hardcountered by grass and poison types tho, so pack it with a strong fire type or psychic type, and have FUN.

+ sf gate + quag, mawile, andclaydol, all of which are popular enough Mons to shake the tier up a little. Plus, if the tier gets stale, the only people to blame are ourselves. And Ru. Fuck them. But seriously. Making the tier interesting is kinda something that only we can do. Don't complain; make it better.
Um.....my point was more when did Virizion and Rupt leave? And did I miss this statement in the 24hrs that I wasn't online....

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
ban Gatr lol

Sheer Force gave it everything it needed, with the DD set being incredible and special sets being viable to run through its usual checks and counters (seriously use it it's the best thing ever). SD is still good too, and Virizion and Heliolisk are gone meaning that it can just spam Aqua Jet if it wants to. Because of its incredible power it can wear down its own checks and counters by itself (hell, it beats a lot of them 1v1, but is left with low health and/or status at the end) except for Poliwrath and then you just Healing Wish it back to life with Mesprit (there's like no reason not to use this with Gatr, these two are incredible together; it also revenge kills +1 Gatr if Scarf) to set up and easily sweep. By far the most broken thing in NU atm, maybe even more so than Heliolisk and Mega Steelix when they were around

Gatr does have some pretty solid checks and counters, but its just too powerful in comparison to everything else in the tier.Other than gatr though, I'm enjoying playing games that aren't Steelix-mega, heliolisk, hariyama, typhlosion, xatu, w/e else. We can finally get back to using some creative sets, though volt turn, normal spam and bulky psychics seem to be pretty dominant atm.

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
Can people actually name these checks/counters to gatr? The only one that is a counter is Poliwrath, but if people could name the others they are finding, that'd be great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)