Waiting for something to happen?
The Ubers Council has decided to suspect test Moody!
Following the first SV Ubers community survey, which was primarily focused on Moody in the current metagame, it became clear that something had to be done regarding it. Moody, primarily carried by Scovillain's release, has become arguably the most controversial part of the metagame. With the chance to snowball on purely random odds for the right stat boosts it can be a nightmare to see on team preview, and even worse to play against as it stalls to try and gain the right boosts to set up a sweep. This isn't even considering Glalie, a Pokemon that is naturally outclassed by Scovillain but since it also has Moody, it has potential to do similar feats with the right boosts. Due to the uncertainty of its potency without Scovillain, and Moody being the root issue, Moody is the target of this suspect test and not Scovillain. The Moody users are very linear, with Scovillain only ever running Substitute, Protect, Leech Seed, and Flamethrower, but with access to terastallization it can flip certain less favourable matchups around, using mainly Tera Steel and Tera Fairy. Tera Steel removes all its natural weaknesses while being a solid defensive typing and helping against Iron Bundle, while Tera Fairy is one of the best types overall in a metagame ruled by Miraidon, Koraidon, and Chien-Pao.
Scovillain with a single +2 speed boost behind a Substitute is incredibly difficult to take down, as it outspeeds every unboosted Pokemon in the tier and can abuse choice locked Pokemon or Pokemon that rely on Protosynthesis / Quark Drive to be faster by stalling using Substitute and Protect to just gain more boosts. This creates a dynamic where it can come in on more defensive Pokemon, set up a Substitute, and fish for the boosts with slow Substitutes and Protects if it hasn't gotten the Speed boost, or use Leech Seed and wear down any Pokemon if it has gotten the boosts to be faster. If properly boosted, unless there is a Pokemon on the team and healthy enough to Haze, phaze, or ignore the stat boosts, Scovillain becomes near unbeatable, which can make it one of the most dangerous Pokemon, and it does so without much player interaction on either side.
Given new tools in the generation, Scovillain certainly isn't without counterplay, though, even if it were to get very lucky. Skeledirge completely ignores both stat boosts and Substitute with Unaware and Torch Song, only being mildly annoyed by Leech Seed before forcing out even a highly boosted Scovillain. Similarly, Toxapex and another bulky pivot with recovery like Skeledirge or Garganacl can stall out Scovillain, as Haze removes its ability to break with Flamethrower over extended periods of time. Whirlwind Ting-Lu is also very strong against Scovillain in faster games, especially since it sets entry hazards that are both very commonly stacked with other Pokemon like Great Tusk or Toxapex, and are also hard to remove thanks to Gholdengo and the many powerful threats like Miraidon that can take advantage of Defog.
Suspect Test Information
- The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 80 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 84. Also, needing more than 50 games to reach 80 GXE will suffice. For reference, there's a minimum games required table posted below.
- You must signup with a newly registered account on Pokemon Showdown! that begins with the appropriate prefix for the suspect test. For this suspect test, the prefix will be UBMY . For example, I might sign up with the ladder account UBMY Fc.
- Laddering with an account that impersonates, mocks, or insults another Smogon user or breaks Pokemon Showdown! rules may be disqualified from voting and infracted. Moderator discretion will be applied here. If there is any doubt or hesitation when making the alt, just pick another name. There are infinite possibilities and we have had trouble for this repeatedly. If you wish to participate in the suspect, you should be able to exhibit decent enough judgement here. We will not be lenient.
- We will be using the regular Ubers ladder for this suspect test. We will not be creating a new Suspect Ladder. At the beginning of every battle, there will be an announcement denoting the ongoing suspect with a link to this thread.
- Any form of voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will be handled and sanctioned.
- Do not attempt to cheat the ladder. We will know if you did not actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied.
- We will be posting the voting identification thread immediately after this thread. Your voting requisites will be confirmed by a moderator. Please avoid getting more games before getting confirmed.
- The suspect test will go on for just under two weeks, lasting until Friday, March 17th, 11:59 PM GMT -4, and then we will put up the voting thread in the Blind Voting subforum.
|GXE||Minimum Games Required|
This thread will be open to allow all users to share their thoughts on this suspect test and discuss with one another their thoughts. However, this thread will be strictly moderated, more so than the average Ubers forum thread. Our moderators will apply discretion as to what is appropriate. Please read and keep in mind the following before posting:
Suspect Test Rules
- No unhelpful one liners nor uninformed posts;
- No discussion on other potential suspects;
- No discussion on the suspect process;
- You are required to make respectful posts;
- Failure to follow these simple guidelines will result in your post being deleted and infracted without any prior warning.
- Please also take a moment to read over some suggestions from the Ubers Council and the Ubers Moderation team for posting in this thread; adhering these will help out our time moderating the thread and present your arguments better and more educated.
- Do not argue because it's your favorite Pokemon. This should be common sense, but please don't do this, because we will delete posts like this.
- You do not need a boatload of experience to have an informed opinion, but please try to minimize the theorymon aspect and use your experiences watching and playing. Playing some on the ladder before posting is plenty if you're concerned about this.
- Do not flame, belittle, or be disrespectful to users in this thread. While not everyone will read this post in its entirety nor will everyone have informed opinion, please be sure not to be disrespectful. If there's an issue, bring it up to a moderator.
- Do not use the argument of broken checking broken. Should your argument rest on your opinion that banning the Pokemon or mechanic being tested in this suspect test will make a Pokemon or mechanic broken, overpowered, and/or uncompetitive; don't. If something needs to be banned because of the result this suspect, then so be it.
- This thread is not to voice complaints about the suspect process or decisions of the council. While we are more than open to hearing complaints that may arise, this isn't the place for it. I suggest you message the Ubers Council, an Ubers Tier Leader (myself or Aberforth), or make a post in Senior Staff requests, should you have a badge.
The test will run until Friday, March 17th, 11:59 PM GMT -4. In order to ban Moody, a 66.6% supermajority will be required. If you meet the requirements then post a screenshot in the voting requirements thread - but please take note of the criteria outlined there when you do in order to be eligible!
Tagging Kris and Marty to announce this on the Ubers ladder, thank you guys.