Metagame np: USUM DOU Stage 5 - Heads Will Roll - Marshadow Remains Banned

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Off with your head
Dance 'til you're dead
Heads will roll

Welcome everyone to the ninth suspect of SM DOU, where we will be taking one more (hopefully our last) look at Marshadow. The introduction of Marshadow to the DOU metagame came during a time of significant change, including the gradual introduction of mega evolutions and banning of Swagger. As such, the initial failure to ban Marshadow in the third suspect test of SM DOU could be attributed to any number of factors. A few months later, Marshadow was reevaluated in the fifth test of SM DOU and subsequently banned. Since then, Marshadow has remained one of the most polarizing Pokemon in DOU, with many people claiming it shouldn't have been banned while others danced on its grave. The introduction of some new Pokemon, such as Zeraora and Intimidate Incineroar, as well as some changing trends, such as the rise of Mega Manectric balance and double Intimidate in general, along with the constant clamoring of the #FreeMarsh crowd, led us to put Marshadow back on the docket after 15 months of imprisonment.

Although its arsenal is somewhat limited, its combination of Ghost- and Fighting-type STAB is unresisted, while its impressive base 125 Speed and Attack are backed up by serviceable 90/80/90 defenses. Backed up by access to Technician-boosted Shadow Sneak and Hidden Power Ice, it is not surprising that Marshadow finds itself at the top of the totem pole, and subsequently the subject of a third suspect test. However, the linearity of Marshadow's sets lends it to be checked pretty well by Intimidate and bulky Pokemon that are not weak to either Fighting- or Ghost-type attacks. On the rare occasion that Marshadow opts to use Hidden Power Ice to act as a soft check to Landorus-T or Mega Salamence, it must opt for a Life Orb to secure those KOs and loses its ability to pick off faster foes with Shadow Sneak or generate a large amount of burst damage with Soul-Stealing Seven Star Strike. All in all, Marshadow's strength is not really up for debate; it is clearly a very strong Pokemon that can rip holes in opposing teams. However, its status as a healthy or unhealthy component of the metagame is what has caused controversy and why it is being tested one last time.

It is very important to note that this suspect test does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the tier leaders or council members individually. This test is not a statement from above that Marshadow deserves to be freed, but instead the council acknowledging that it is at least worth looking at one last time. Supporting the occurrence of this test and believing Marshadow should be freed are not one and the same - feel free to ask if this needs clarification.

Finally, please be aware that you are more than welcome to your opinion. No one in this thread should be shamed for believing one way or another as long as their opinion is well thought out and supported. Debate is more than welcome in this thread, but please be sure that your posts are not inflammatory or off topic.

The only requirements to vote on this suspect are the ladder requirements posted below, there are no posting requirements. However, reading up on everyone's opinions both here and in the previous two NP threads will help voters be informed in their thoughts, so I'd highly recommend that. Make sure your post adds something significant to the discussion on Marshadow and its impact, you could help someone else see it in a way they hadn't before.

Important: The ladder will be open for a single session of nine days.

Ladder Period
Start: Friday, March 15th at 8:00pm EDT (GMT-4)
End: Sunday, March 24th at 8:00pm EDT (GMT-4)
Marshadow will be legal on the DOU ladder during this period.

We will be using the new standard method for suspect testing, so there will be no dedicated suspect ladder. Instead, you will qualify to vote in this suspect if you achieve the following requirements:
  • All games must be played on the Pokemon Showdown! Doubles OU ladder on a fresh alt with a name of the form "DOUM3 (name)." For example, I might register the name "DOUM3 Bowman" to use during this suspect test.
  • You need at least 40 games
  • You must have a minimum GXE of 82
That's it! Feel free to PM either MajorBowman or talkingtree on Discord if you have any questions about the qualification process. Happy laddering!

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
The suspect period has begun, which means that Marshadow is now legal on the DOU ladder. In order to qualify to vote during this test, you must meet the criteria set forth in the OP. The designated alt form is "DOUM3 (name)." For example, I might register the name "DOUM3 tree" to use during this suspect test.

Additionally, this thread is now unlocked. Please feel free to begin discussing Marshadow's place in the DOU metagame while remembering to keep posts on topic and free of invective.

The suspect period ends Sunday, March 24, at 8:00 PM Eastern time (GMT -4). Any qualification posts made after this time will not be valid.

about dam time.

maybe now we can have something that can help counter incinroar or at least better teams to.

knowing you guys it will remain banned or you guys might unban it just so you can abuse it with incinroar.

So im torn on how to vote.

How is everybody feeling about it ?

Last edited:
Ok so, time for my first post in a suspect thread. Since discussion on the topic of marshadow has been sort of lacking on the forum recently, I went back and took a look at the threads for the last to marsh suspects and, although they're pertaining to a pretty different metagame than what we have now, I feel it's given me a fairly good idea of why people considered it banworthy (or not).

This post isn't really meant to sway anyone's opinion, it's moreso an attempt to "stir the pot" by bringing up some points I feel are worth discussing as, while veteran players may feel that all that was to be said about marsh has already been stated in the other threads, new-ish players like me might benefit from some new discussion. Also, please keep in mind that this is my first post of this kind, so please forgive me if I make any uneducated statements, state the obvious or if its quality is less than what's expected from this thread.

Now let's just jump into it.

As far as I could understand the reason people felt marshadow was banworthy is a combination of any of the following qualities:

1) Unresisted STAB combination

True, the ghost and fighting combination boasts 0 resists and great super effective and neutral coverage, however Spectral Thief, marshadow's most spammable move, doesn't have a stellar base power and 125 base attack, while nothing to scoff at, is hardly unreasonable and can easily be neutered by the most widespread ability in doubles (and double Intimidate is as common as ever).

2) Fantastic speed tier

125 base speed puts marshadow ahead of most of the unboosted metagame, but its speed advantage can be circumvented by any means of speed control, already central in doubles play. Removing its ability to hit first leaves marshadow with the only option of firing off a shadow sneak (which isn't particularly troublesome for the bulkier mons that like to abuse tw/icy wind/webs). The only form of speed control that is somewhat ineffective against marsh is trick room, as most setters are either physically frail or weak to ghost (unless you have a 4-digits IQ and are using oranguru) and marshadow can't be faked out.

3) Spectral Thief

I've seen people say that marshadow's ability to steal positive boosts invalidates setup. However the only setup mons that are really hindered by marshadow that come to mind are CM fini, cress and lati (and the last two wouldn't appreciate marsh even without it stealing their boosts). The other main setup sweepers either boost their speed (DD zygarde, volcarona) or have ways to circumvent spectral thief, either with priority (SD scizor) or with redirection support from a partner (already important on setup-heavy teams). Does marsh make setup-oriented teams' life harder? Definitely, but I don't feel like it makes pulling off setup impossible.

4) Respectable bulk for an offensive mon

Contrary to other offensive pieces like deo-A and pheromosa, marshadow's defenses are better than a wet paper bag, to the point that I've seen someone in past threads compare its defensive stats to zapdos'. However, as far as I know, marshadow doesn't really want to invest in its defenses and, whilst respectable, they don't allow it to carelessly switch in, even on neutral hits, once it's been forced out (either by intimidate or by gaining a speed advantage).

In conclusion, marshadow is undoubtedly an incredibly threatening pokemon, with the flexibility of its sets, the ability to tear holes into unprepared teams and to stomach one or two hits, but whether it's on par with the best of the best in the metagame or it's too much for the tier is up for debate.

That being said, my experience with marshadow is limited to what I've seen while getting reqs and playing in a few roomtours, so I'd love to hear from people who have played more with it. At the moment I don't really have strong feelings for either freeing marsh or keeping it banned, although I'm leaning slightly towards unban.

PS: I'll try and provide relevant calcs to points 1 and 4 once I'm on pc.

Last edited:

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm mostly just curious to hear why the #FreeMarsh crowd wants it back. I think the metagame we have right now is great, and I'm not totally clear on why freeing Marshadow would be an improvement.

That said, the room tours and laddering for reqs did give me some time to form new opinions on Marshadow, since it had been 15 months since I've had to build with it.

I'm not going to write a novel, but here's my impressions:
  • I think mostly everything that was ever said during the last suspect thread still applies now - the only real difference I can see is that double intimidate teams are more common now. Everything I said here still mostly applies.
  • Marshadow's offenses seem more lackluster in a metagame where double intimidate teams (usually Lando + Incineroar) are common.
  • When facing teams with only one Intimidate user, however, I'd argue that Marshadow is just as potent as I remembered it, and I don't think it's healthy to re-introduce a metagame element that actively encourages people to run double Intimidate users just to deal with a threat.
  • In Marshadow's defense, it was kind of enjoyable to have a viable offensive Pokemon that's immune to Fake Out, which is omnipresent in the current metagame.
  • Marshadow mirrors are still dumb AF and skill-less.
Overall, I didn't hate Marshadow as much as I thought I would, but I still fail to see how it would make the metagame better than what we have now. Re-introducing Marshadow will make the format slightly more restricting and hamper some cool and innovative new elements that have developed over the last 15 months, without really giving us anything back in return other than Marshadow mirrors and a further rise to double-Intimidate teams.

My feelings won't be hurt if we #FreeMarsh, but personally I'm probably voting to keep it banned.

I'm personally for keeping Marshadow banned. While I agree with the people that want to free Marshadow that it is mostly a strong attacker and not completely unbalanced and unchecked right now, I do not believe that it adds anything and my experience has been that it takes away from good, competitive play and building. I also think that once real thought gets put into optimizing the Pokemon it will feel busted if we give it a seasonal, and I don't want to see Marshadow suspected again for the 4th time.

1. Good plays are supposed to be rewarding and also feel that way. Marshadow feels rewarding despite getting outplayed, and good plays against Marshadow feel unrewarded.

Using Marshadow did not feel like I was outplaying them even when I was winning. People are supposed to get rewarded for Intimidating, having a Fake Out Pokemon, managing to set up hazards, and making good defensive switch ins based on typing. Marshadow with its Fake Out immunity, speed, power, typing, and access to either Z-Move or Life Orb doesn't make me feel punished when I am actively getting outplayed. Using it does not feel particularly rewarding, because even with Substitute I did not feel like I was outplaying their Intimidate often.

Playing against Marshadow does not feel rewarding either. If it becomes a speed tie that decides the game, then the turns leading up to it feel unfulfilling. If they are an offensive Marshadow build and I'm running offense, it's about who runs more and stronger offense rather and those games felt incredibly uninteresting. Many TR setters do not have adequate ways of getting TR up against Helping Hand Marshadow, faster Fake Outs, or double targets, and saying "Just scout the Z-Move" is not enough of a reason for me to feel Marshadow is justified. There is counter play, but I did not feel like it was interactive enough.

2. Making a metagame where there are fewer Pokemon are good does not mean that the better player wins.

Much respect to RBY for making that the case (shoutouts to Nails and tinman), but this is gen7 and that doesn't really apply here. Being the best in limited choices when random z-moves, so many items, and so many different directions can be taken does not mean that limiting the field has the same effect. Some people said "Marshadow limits the number of viable Pokemon" and treat that as a good thing. From my experience I did not feel that way. I went into it a bit when talking about Marshadow above, but it did not feel rewarding and a lot of my games did not either. My play did not feel as impactful or important with Marshadow allowed. The current Pokemon, including things like Chansey and Incineroar, can get outplayed in so many ways, and out-teambuilt too, throughout SPL we continue to see more and more of that each week. The current metagame to me feels like there is a lot of freedom to build in whatever direction you want to, while still mostly leaving the games so that the better player generally wins. Marshadow to me would take away from that because the teams I have seen do not mean the better player will win more often.

3. Marshadow is starting off close to balanced, but that's without thought being put into it yet.

It's starting off as a Tier 1, maybe Tier 2, Pokemon without any real theory or thought being put into it. Brainless pokemon shouldn't start off this good in my opinion. Cause generally that means whenever there is real thought that will start going behind the Pokemon, it will continue to feel more and more busted. It'll mostly get contained by the fact that there will be many players that do not like the Pokemon enough or the style of play it encourages to create an unspoken gentlemen's agreement to not play with it much, but that's dumb. It is going to have a massive impact on the metagame when people start actually picking it up. Once that happens it'll probably make the first team building decision whether or not to have Marshadow, a bunch of intimidate mons, and competitive/defiant mons, which is limiting and less enjoyable for me. And like I said before, I think that it actively does not help the better player win.

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the metagame we have right now is great, and I'm not totally clear on why freeing Marshadow would be an improvement.
This is more of a factual statement than an opinion but this suspect isn't happening because "Marshadow would improve the metagame." General Smogon tiering philosophy is healthy metagame with the fewest possible number of bans, so if we don't *need* Marshadow banned for the meta to be balanced then we shouldn't have it banned.

This is great discussion though, keep it up! Planning on posting my thoughts this week, I blew through reqs early because I was bored on spring break so I'm gonna play some more games with and without Marshadow to get a better idea.

This is more of a factual statement than an opinion but this suspect isn't happening because "Marshadow would improve the metagame." General Smogon tiering philosophy is healthy metagame with the fewest possible number of bans, so if we don't *need* Marshadow banned for the meta to be balanced then we shouldn't have it banned.
I understand the argument, but if I think that keeping marshadow banned will make the metagame more pleasant, I think i'll keep it banned. For example, I'm not sure that snorlax is still broken after incin came out and changed the metagame (after incin came out in vgc, lax usage and viability plummeted). However, I think lax would be stupid and gross and I don't want to add it back in.
In a similar way, if marshadow makes the game less fun, I think it's fine to keep it banned, even if a less restrictive ruleset wouldn't be inherently broken.

All that said, I think I'm probably going to vote to keep marshadow banned, I think the mon is pretty dumb. I honestly haven't played enough with it to have a full opinion, but powerful ghosts are something I think are generally tough to play around, such that it advantages the person using it a bit too much. Marshadow has unresisted coverage, steals boosts, can read any incin switch and punish with close combat, and can either run hp ice to mess up landorus-t, or shadow sneak to be useful in trick room. Also, marshadow is a late game mon, so marshadow mirrors in the late game are cancerous. I probably have more thoughts to add later, but this is it for now.

The STAB Combination, an immunity to Fake out and the fantastic Speed tier, combined with Spectral thief, Close Combat, technican and Shadow sneak /HP ice is really strong. But Marshadow has a few drawbacks in my opinion:
- The defensive typing isnt really great. Weaknesses vs Fairy and Psychic are in a Metagame full of Island Guardians not great. Flying and Ghost are not the biggest Drawbacks, but its not really cool, either.
- 125 Attack base is not really high. In times of Double Intimidate is this nothing to worry about.
- Psychic terrain blocks shadow sneak. For me, it was not very hard to play around this priority move.
- The Bulk is okay, but not very high. Strong neutral hits or super Effective hits kill marshadow in most cases.

I dont think that Marshadow will restrict the TeamBulding so hard. I just cant see where it will be really unhealthy for DOU. Nethertheless, Its a very threatening Pokemon.

I will vote for unban.

A lot of my thoughts here have already been echoed, so I just want to drive home some specific issues that I have with a Marshadow format

Spectral Thief: The restrictive nature of Spectral Thief's effect is an unnecessary problem on team building. There's a large number of sets that just become far too risky due to the game swinging power of stealing boosts. Giving Marsh SpD via Calm Mind mons like Fini and Latias make it increasingly difficult to KO. Physical mons like Kart and Zygarde have an even harder time since giving Marsh attack boosts can be nightmare. Getting KO'd is one thing, where at least you have a switch to start mounting a response, but giving Marsh boosts often makes responding extremely difficult, and 1 Spectral Thief connecting swings the game state far too much. Yes, you can just switch, but 1 mon that forces such a wide range of things out isn't healthy in the slightest

The Bulk: Yes we all know it's speed tier and coverage is phenomenal, but Marsh's bulk has always been what has scared me most about the mon. The fact that something in it's speed/power bracket can shrug off attacks that well is pretty concerning. We're now without M-Gengar too, which was one of the few non-scarf mons that outpaced and KO'd it (Deoxys and Koko being the only meta relevant ones left, with the condition that Koko needs to be specs or Z-Move because Timid Life Orb Dazzle doesn't even KO always and is probably an easy investment if you choose). This leads to those mons, Scarf Lele, and other Marshadow (everyone's favorite speed tie) as the few things that outspeed and KO it. Outside of that, you put a lot of faith in your Intimidators to keep things alive long enough to KO it. Also, Incin is one of the better switch ins to Spectral Thief in the format, but the mind game between Close Combating Incin switch ins seems reallyyyyyyy dumb for both parties (especially given that Incin can just drop to -1 CC after rocks if it eats a bad roll)

A Marsh format is not unplayable, but I don't believe it is healthy in the slightest. Chansey and Incineroar are not out of hand, and there currently exists enough options to deal with both consistently. I'd still really like to hear what any #FreeMarshers have to think, since while I'm happy we're taking one last chance to make sure we got it right, the meta seems as healthy as ever and I'd hate to leave it in shambles as Gen 8 approaches

"Chansey and Incineroar are not out of hand, and there currently exists enough options to deal with both consistently"

LOL think you forgot a /S

Please share with the rest of us how you consistently deal with incineroar.

Incineroar has ruined this game. We need every counter possible to play around that cheap trash.

Im voting unban. Its not even that strong. Love how some of your guys arguments to keep it banned is that it can close combat incineroar on switch in. Thats what we need !

As (probably) the most vocal about wanting this suspect it only feels right to post. I had the pleasure of running/watching a large number of the marsh tours prior to the suspect beginning and paired with what was actually not a terrible laddering experience, I can finally make my points with minimal bias.

My biggest reason for wanting the suspect test in the first place was that I don't feel like it was necessarily broken to begin with. I'm glad this has been picked up by quite a few others. However, I also believe Marshadow doesn't harm the 'balance' of DOU quite like many say, especially given some of the more recent metagame shifts since it was banned. I will go into my reasoning below. As such, I see no reason why a pokemon that isnt exactly broken and preserves balance to a reasonable degree, in my opinion, shouldnt be allowed in DOU, much like what bowman mentioned above.

I thought id put a little bit about marshadows different sets just to put into context my following points. This is also a good place to reference marshadows bulk.
From my experience over the past few weeks, I've grown to believe that LO marshadow far outclasses Marshadium in the current meta. The consistently good damage output is far better than that burst damage that SSSSS provides, because after it marshadow is actually quite weak. Its also a lot easier to weaken the damage output of its z move and really set the marshadow player back. For the rest of my post, I wont refer to marshadium as much because it is typically the less effective set and is much worse off than LO in all but one damage trade during any game. For example, in speed ties, you can easily throw out your z move on the opposing marshadow to get over intimidate, but then risk putting yourself so far back it might be unsalvageable on a 50/50 chance. Your sneak is also doing nowhere near the required damage to come out positive in the tie.

As a result of this marshadows bulk, while definitely good, becomes a lot easier to manage. This goes hand in hand with its damage output. As a marshadow player you are basically forced to sacrifice one of these partially to get a good set. LOs recoil is really quite big, because one attack into a resist and you are immediately put into range of some pretty big attacks, such as timid kokos gleam or finis neutral moonblast. This is particularly big considering marshadow struggles to take OHKOs in general, especially in this far bulkier metagame we have with incineroar, bulu and diancies to name a few. Incineroar is the outlier not the norm, and even then only with sr. This makes it very easy to get decently favourable damage trades with marshadow, where it can really only get 2 turns at a maximum to deal the majority of its damage.
On the topic of sr, one calc ive seen thrown around is that LO can OHKO incineroar after rocks at -1. This is a large calc, but sr doesnt only favour marshadow. The marshadow player who can make use of rocks better has a much bigger advantage in the mirror and possible speed ties, with lots of calcs being in the 93%-110% range.

Using marshadium makes it tougher to trade favourably with marshadow, because theres far less recoil going on against it. However you only get one chance per game to make marshadows speed and power count. For those who have played it, I think this can draw a lot of parallels to lunala in VGC 19 Moon series. You have this pokemon that has a nuke of a z move which makes mirrors very awkward, but once the z move is gone, lunalas damage output drops considerably going into the lategame. We can also see that it is actually relatively easy to allow pokemon to sponge the hit, and draw it away from the bigger targets, due to stuff being fatter for xerneas attacks. While this isnt to say marshadows z move isnt threatening, you as the player dont have a huge window in which to really get the most out of your z move, as a large number of pokemon can take the hit and retaliate hard, such as tapu bulu, who can get into berry range and OHKO back with wood hammer. Once the z move has been used, you start missing out on a lot of the damage that makes marshadow so threatening; you 4hko the standard rocks lando, incin is almost always eating its berry after rocks + cc, koko isnt 2hkod by sneak, metagross is taking 80 max from neutral spectral thief, giving it ample room to retaliate.

In both cases, both are absolutely manageable and dont skew games one way or the other. It is still very easy to work with one intimidate, for example, and be able to slow down marshadows damage output while you get the necessary damage on it to amply pressure it. Double intimidate helps, and being more readily accessible only helps to serve that purpose, but I believe its just a matter of approaching marshadow with a different mindset. Not one of trying to outplay it but one of being able to effectively trade with it, which marshadows traits allow to happen.

Spectral thief stealing boosts was not an issue back when marshadow was last allowed and I absolutely dont think this has changed. Obviously there is more risk attached to pokemon like dd zygarde and cm mlati, but i dont see this as an issue really. Many of the good setup mons can adequately pressure marshadow and punish it well for trying to steal boosts; be it outspeeding and getting a boosted hit off in zygardes/mscizors case, or threatening reasonably heavy hits in the case of cm fini. Particularly in finis case, you may be losing your boost and giving marshadow +1 spdef, but you are still coming out positive in the damage trade, where LO marshadow loses 60+% in return for not even a 2HKO with spectral thief. Even Latias, the worst affected by this, can OHKO LO marshadow with psyshock in return.

Speed ties are a pain when they happen, i think most would agree on. However, they don't occur nearly as much, or are as brain/skill-less as it has been made out. There is a lot more going on now than there was last time marshadow was around: Intimidate being more accessible/common means there is far more risk involved in going for the tie. You can win the tie and still (quite easily) come out negative, particularly in the LO case. Some simple work in the damage calc shows this. Marshadium has some different theory attached to it but I wont go into detail. Incineroar itself provides a solid ghost switch in, in a situation where you absolutely cannot afford to make the close combat read. These are not risks/trades you want to make so early in the game and do not end up happening. With respect to late game ties, they are tougher to mitigate, but just occur even less frequently than potential t1 ties simply due to the nature of marshadow as a heavy breaker. It is so hard to get use out of marshadow throughout a game and preserve it well for the endgame, and this typically means we dont see endgame marsh ties. Obviously I can back this up by mentioning risk/reward but have no hard calcs/proof outside of just not seeing it in games. Still I feel like if you really have a look through recent replays gathered and even replays from tours back when marshadow was last allowed, you will see that its really not as big an issue as it might seem. This might sound like gengar speed ties which were terrible to play with, but the key difference is that there is far less of a loss in momentum/board state should you switch out.

This is quite a big point, and one where I personally disagree with a number of the points in the thread, but can understand. While I am all for variation and encouraging creativity in a metagame, I prefer to put an emphasis on having more skilful games, even if it means partially sacrificing the former. This is not to say that we cant have both, and I think if we look at the snake 1 teams, there is ample creativity and far less team-recycling than there has been in following official tours. I think this point takes into account personal opinion a lot so I will be referring to mine.

(tagging Human since I am referring to his post a lot here, but the ideas discussed here are quite general)
I disagree with the idea that exploration with marshadow will serve to make it broken, and that it is only balanced because of a lack of such. We got an official tour and a number of circuit tournaments, including a seasonal, in which we saw a lot of exploration into marshadow and ways to really get the most out of it. While I dont want to say that we have already reached the end of marshadow creativity and that it has already 'peaked' per se, I think the idea of it getting worse as time goes on is not necessarily true. I instead believe that as we stretch the limits of marshadows potential, this will only foster the creativity that people are looking for. Although this is mostly speculation on both ends I feel.

From my own experience, including back when marshadow was allowed previously, I always enjoyed watching the games and playing it far more than I have done since. I always felt that making good plays, switching well and cycling intimidate would allow you to get the 2 hits you need to deal with marshadow effectively, and that being able to make good damage trades would always bring you out on top vs marshadow players. A number of my own favourite seasonal games from then (which was 3rd place so a good sample size) involved me being able to do exactly that, mixed in with a read here and there to get a big hit off on it. I dont think much has changed now, you still have ample/more accessible intimidate to work with, and playing for the damage trades is still very viable and effective in dealing with marshadow. Such plays have always felt rewarding to me, while being able to conserve my own marshadow and work around such countermeasures served the same purpose. I personally and heavily disagree with the fact that marshadow play doesnt feel rewarding. Its by no means all about outplaying, and being able to make the most of marshadows flaws (struggling to take kos being a big one) can really work in favour of not losing ground when marshadow is able to get these attacks off. I like to make comparisons to the DUU kommo-o meta we had about 1 year ago, with the kommo-o meta being the extreme case. Every team ran Kommo-o + fairy + fairy killer, but we were still able to see some nice creativity in terms of working with these slots and the games themselves felt very high level in terms of play. You were absolutely rewarded with pressuring each component of the opponents team to set up your kommo-o and defend against the opposing one, and to this day it is some of the most fun i have had playing doubles ever.
As a result of this, I feel as if the more skilled player/whoever played better typically wins these games. Even in this meta just by observing tours and laddering, I felt like I was winning games I was in control of and being rewarded with wins for utilising my marshadow and limiting the explosiveness that my opponents one had. I dont see much changing from the metagame we have at the moment in that respect.

This turned out a lot longer than I expected so sorry for the wall of text. I do hope you read it and I would love to hear peoples thoughts on it!

Last edited:

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
After reading everything above, and from what I’ve experienced myself, I still don’t understand why you guys want to keep Marshadow banned. Is the Pokémon powerful? Yes. It’s most definitely Tier 1 or 2. However, based off what MajorBowman said, I can’t consider Marshadow banworthy. Despite everything you guys have mentioned, the meta would still be balanced with Marshadow. I noticed that the majority of you don’t want Marshadow around because you either don’t like it or you just don’t want it around. That’s not how things work. What I also noticed is that none of you ever mentioned it being overpowered, overcentralizing, or restrictive to team building. You guys even mentioned its counters. If it can be countered, there shouldn’t be a problem. That being said, should I get the opportunity, I will be voting unban. I’m sure you guys already knew that, though.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
I'm not an expert to speak about Marshadow in particular so I don't want to go on for too long, but I do want to say from experience that arguing about centralization in a metagame is a pretty pointless endeavor. I come from a background in a tier where every serious team shares at the very least 3 mons, often 4 or 5, and there's people who still feel like that's fine and competitive. It's a great conversation to be had with your friends and fellow competitive pokemon fans but not one that ultimately leads anywhere productive in a context such as this one, there's advantages and disadvantages to cranking centralization up or down, and this type of discourse often just ends in an endless cycle of "I prefer more freedom and variety in the teambuilder" vs. "less building variables to consider = playing the meta comes down to whoever plans and plays better, and being anti-meta is more reliable as well"; it's something that doesn't really have an answer and will ultimately come down to personal opinion. In a similar vein, making arguments for how it is or isn't 'overcentralizing' is pretty damn hard, it centralizes the metagame and that is no secret, the 'how much' comes down to guesses of how the metagame will evolve as well as everyone's subjective idea of 'overcentralizing'.

To me, in the games I played on ladder, my Marshadow felt like a pretty unfair tool. LO Marsh is able to take favorable trades with nearly everything that doesn't have supereffective moves (did you know it 2HKOs Volcanion and doesn't die from Steam Eruption + x2 LO recoil?), the incredibly strong priority means he can be very useful at turning the tides even when your opponent does everything right with their speed control, in general it felt like he did too much damage and took too little at the same time for a Pokemon in that speed tier, it's a bit of a difficult point to present because it's not one overwhelming element of Marshadow that makes him too good, it's the amount of trades against neutral 'mons that he can choose to pick because his stats will allow him to come out ahead no matter what. Pokemon at that speed tier generally have to deal with pretty crippling issues, either low damage or tragic lack of bulk; Marshadow is really strong, really fast, and bulkier than other Pokemon who have those attributes. Personally I feel that he's a bit too strong due to these reasons and I am leaning towards keep banned at the moment, but I do acknowledge he's not a complete metagame breaker.

GenOne

is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There's been some talk about how Smogon Tiering Policy fits into this discussion, both in this thread and in Discord.

Long post so I'm gonna put it in hide tags.
General Smogon tiering philosophy is healthy metagame with the fewest possible number of bans, so if we don't *need* Marshadow banned for the meta to be balanced then we shouldn't have it banned.
I 100% agree that this suspect was warranted as it fits in with that philosopy, but Smogon Tiering Policy also states that "III.) The onus of providing justification is on the side changing the status quo." Furthermore, it says that "if a proposal is made to ban or unban a Pokemon, ability, item, or move, the side suggesting this must demonstrate why this is necessary and how it affects the ladder and the tournament scene, as well as provide evidence for both."

So just to clarify my position, I'm currently of the mindset that there isn't an issue with the current metagame, and I don't understand why reintroducing Marshadow is necessary. Therefore my default stance is to vote ban unless I hear compelling arguments to change my mind.

This is quite a big point, and one where I personally disagree with a number of the points in the thread, but can understand. While I am all for variation and encouraging creativity in a metagame, I prefer to put an emphasis on having more skilful games, even if it means partially sacrificing the former. This is not to say that we cant have both, and I think if we look at the snake 1 teams, there is ample creativity and far less team-recycling than there has been in following official tours. I think this point takes into account personal opinion a lot so I will be referring to mine.

(tagging Human since I am referring to his post a lot here, but the ideas discussed here are quite general)
I disagree with the idea that exploration with marshadow will serve to make it broken, and that it is only balanced because of a lack of such. We got an official tour and a number of circuit tournaments, including a seasonal, in which we saw a lot of exploration into marshadow and ways to really get the most out of it. While I dont want to say that we have already reached the end of marshadow creativity and that it has already 'peaked' per se, I think the idea of it getting worse as time goes on is not necessarily true. I instead believe that as we stretch the limits of marshadows potential, this will only foster the creativity that people are looking for. Although this is mostly speculation on both ends I feel.

From my own experience, including back when marshadow was allowed previously, I always enjoyed watching the games and playing it far more than I have done since. I always felt that making good plays, switching well and cycling intimidate would allow you to get the 2 hits you need to deal with marshadow effectively, and that being able to make good damage trades would always bring you out on top vs marshadow players. A number of my own favourite seasonal games from then (which was 3rd place so a good sample size) involved me being able to do exactly that, mixed in with a read here and there to get a big hit off on it. I dont think much has changed now, you still have ample/more accessible intimidate to work with, and playing for the damage trades is still very viable and effective in dealing with marshadow. Such plays have always felt rewarding to me, while being able to conserve my own marshadow and work around such countermeasures served the same purpose. I personally and heavily disagree with the fact that marshadow play doesnt feel rewarding. Its by no means all about outplaying, and being able to make the most of marshadows flaws (struggling to take kos being a big one) can really work in favour of not losing ground when marshadow is able to get these attacks off. I like to make comparisons to the DUU kommo-o meta we had about 1 year ago, with the kommo-o meta being the extreme case. Every team ran Kommo-o + fairy + fairy killer, but we were still able to see some nice creativity in terms of working with these slots and the games themselves felt very high level in terms of play. You were absolutely rewarded with pressuring each component of the opponents team to set up your kommo-o and defend against the opposing one, and to this day it is some of the most fun i have had playing doubles ever.
As a result of this, I feel as if the more skilled player/whoever played better typically wins these games. Even in this meta just by observing tours and laddering, I felt like I was winning games I was in control of and being rewarded with wins for utilising my marshadow and limiting the explosiveness that my opponents one had. I dont see much changing from the metagame we have at the moment in that respect.
Smogon Tiering Policy has a definition for skill, and it considers both teambuilding skill and battling skill to be factors:

I.) Skill - the subjective metric we use to judge player worth in competitive Pokemon.
  • Team Building Skill - the part of skill that is involved in the preparation for a battle
    • Assessing and Dealing with Threats
    • Building Towards a Strategy (or Strategies)
    • Creativity
    • Catering to Metagame / Opponents
  • Battling Skill - the part of skill involved in actually battling
    • Picking the Right Lead
    • Recognizing the Win Condition
    • Picking the Right Move
    • Smart Switching
    • Gathering Information and Making Assumptions
    • Long-term vs. Short-term Goals
    • Assessing Risk
    • Probability Management
    • Prediction
I would like to make arguments, based on this definition, that Marshadow hampers skill both from the teambuilder and on the battlefield.

Team Building Skill:

Assessing and Dealing with Threats

Adding Marshadow to a team doesn't require to look very hard at potential threats you might encounter; you can airdrop it into most teams as a sixth and not go wrong, and Marshadow deals with a wide gamut of threats so that your other five don't have to.

Marshadow's "perfect" Ghost / Fighting coverage lets it attack the entire gamut of DOU Pokemon for decent damage, all other factors being equal. Intimidate can mitigate Marshadow a bit, but Marshadow already has tools to deal with both Incineroar (Close Combat) and Landorus-T (Technician-boosted HP Ice) if it needs to. Defensively, it has to worry a bit about strong Fairy-type attacks from Tapus, as well as Marshadow mirrors, but otherwise boasts pretty high bulk (for an offensive mon) and is taking neutral damage from the majority of the metagame. Marshadow also does a lot to shut down:
  • setup wincons (not perfectly, as some like Volcarona) outspeed and outpower Marshadow once boosted)
  • Trick Room (Marshadow is immune to Fake Out and hits most setters hard, although stuff like Diancie still has a shot)
  • "soft" stat boosters like Misty Seed Zapdos
  • faster revenge killers, such as Deoxys-A, via Technician-boosted Shadow Sneak
Marshadow doesn't do any of those things perfectly, or 100% of the time, but at the very least it "soft checks" a lot of threats mindlessly from the teambuilder phase, which encourages lots of building along the lines of "well this team is pretty good but not quite balanced - better just slap marsh on there and we good!"

Building Towards a Strategy (or Strategies)
Marshadow doesn't really encourage building towards strategies at all - it's actually designed to shut strategies down so both sides are locked into just trading blows and cycling in Intimidate users. It steels stat boosts to discourage teams built around defensive boosting wincons, like Mega Latias and Cresselia. It busts down naturally bulky wincons like Chansey with ease. It makes it far easier to shut down an opponent's strategy to Trick Room up for speed control. In a pinch it can even negate opposing speed control by still hitting decently hard with its boosted Shadow Sneaks.

Creativity
Most of the points I made above apply here too. Marshadow simply limits the amount of viable strategies and Pokemon that are available in DOU, which hampers creativity. Some people are willing to sacrifice creativity for what they consider to be "more player skill," but fwiw creativity is part of the Tiering Policy's definition of "skill," as is teambuilding in general.

Catering to Metagame / Opponents
The metagame, as it currently stands, has enough room for innovation that it continuously evolves. Good teambuilding skill in this meta requires you to stay up to date with the latest metagame trends, and we saw plenty throughout SPL.

It's not to say the metagame can't still evolve in a Marshadow meta, but it will do so much more slowly since Marshadow puts a lower ceiling on the number of viable Pokemon or tactics that are worth exploring.

Battling Skill:
I gtg so I won't have time to get into this yet, but I might come back later to address this.

I started to play again DOU again in this suspect but anyway I'd like to give my few views on Marshadow. It seems a centralizing mon for sure but tbh I'd have given more time to do the suspect just to see if the metagame adapts easily or not around marshadow. The time to do the suspect was enough to get reqs but not enough to see the meta adapting around marshadow. Btw it's just my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong!

(Btw I find the Marshadow's meta funny to play but I'm not sure if it's really competitive, It seems like Metagross and Incineroar usage decreased a bit, we'll see)

Last edited:

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"Chansey and Incineroar are not out of hand, and there currently exists enough options to deal with both consistently"

LOL think you forgot a /S

Please share with the rest of us how you consistently deal with incineroar.

Incineroar has ruined this game. We need every counter possible to play around that cheap trash.

Im voting unban. Its not even that strong. Love how some of your guys arguments to keep it banned is that it can close combat incineroar on switch in. Thats what we need !

Fellow fire starter suffers grueling fate from Stealth Rock more at 11

As for the serious portion to my post, it seems a lot of what I want to say has already been muttered a few times and already voiced by myself on Discord. For those who didn't see, here it is. Marshadow is pretty damn strong, and not just like a tiny power creep strong, a should be uber type of strong thanks to combination of offensive typing and great movepool. It's not only the offensive prowess of Marshadow that has to be taken into account however, it's got very great stat distribution as a whole and is a much bulkier Pokemon that most people actually realize, 90/80/90 is nothing to scoff at considering the same Pokemon also has 125/90/125 offensive stats.

Next i'll just point out some flaws in an argument made within this thread,

The STAB Combination, an immunity to Fake out and the fantastic Speed tier, combined with Spectral thief, Close Combat, technican and Shadow sneak /HP ice is really strong. But Marshadow has a few drawbacks in my opinion:
- The defensive typing isnt really great. Weaknesses vs Fairy and Psychic are in a Metagame full of Island Guardians not great. Flying and Ghost are not the biggest Drawbacks, but its not really cool, either.
- 125 Attack base is not really high. In times of Double Intimidate is this nothing to worry about.
- Psychic terrain blocks shadow sneak. For me, it was not very hard to play around this priority move.
- The Bulk is okay, but not very high. Strong neutral hits or super Effective hits kill marshadow in most cases.

I dont think that Marshadow will restrict the TeamBulding so hard. I just cant see where it will be really unhealthy for DOU. Nethertheless, Its a very threatening Pokemon.

I will vote for unban.

True, not the greatest defensive typing. However, none of the Guardians can switch into marshadow safely, in fact all have a chance to be 2hkod while only Koko and Lele have a chance to reliable ohko before dying (assuming they can get in without taking damage), while Bulu can ohko Marshadow with Woodhammer, has to survive 2 attacks first unless it's scarf which would be easily noticeable by damage it takes from the initial attack from Marshadow.

The 2 most popular intimidate users do quite literally nothing to Marshadow outside of lowering it's attack by 1 stage as they both die instantly.

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 20 Def Incineroar: 351-416 (89 - 105.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
-2 252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 20 Def Incineroar: 265-315 (67.2 - 79.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0- SpA Life Orb Technician Marshadow Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Landorus-Therian: 322-385 (84.2 - 100.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

So if you just want to throw your intimidate user at it and lose the game later because Marsh is still alive by all means you do you.

Only Deoxy's and Scarf lele are faster than Marsh, this is very situational and a good player wouldn't let marsh die easily in a situation like this.

This is just outright false. No neutral hit is going to kill without plenty of prior damage or extreme cases like Tapu koko Thunder in Elec terrain

It's fairly clear to see my thoughts on this Pokemon. It's not healthy for the metagame at all, and nor do I see a reason we should allow it back into the tier whatsoever. It restricts teams immensely in terms of what Pokemon they can actually use and forces your hand a majority of the time, if you aren't bringing 3 "Counters" (in quotations because there is none) you just lose outright to it. Doubles as it stands now is arguable one of the more enjoyable and balance versions we've had in the entirety of SM and I would rather not ruin what we have going into the end of the generation. This Pokemon adds no benefit to the tier. It doesn't make it more balanced or more fun. It does the opposite of anything beneficial to the tier. Vote to keep Marshadow Ubers.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i'm posting bitch, i didnt and wont play on the suspect ladder (precure main now) but i watched my good friend Jumpus23rd. also this post will be horribly formatted in terms of grammar and such so appologies

this was the team that was run for the fake 40-0 run and it's good nice one stax. however it was built for the out of marsh meta and frankly the matchup seems ungood. theres a lot of elements that play into marsh's hands in theory - the only pokemon thats faster is mega mane which frankly hits like loser and cant ohko. the only switch in if you dont want to take a risk in guessing ghost / fighting is fini. the kart in theory can play into marshadow's hands since it's sub sd and can have it's boosts stolen and get killed through subs. zygarde is fine vs it providing it's not hp ice which mega chunks it. i shouldnt need to go into depth into mew and incin really.

in none of the games did the marsh matchup ever feel close to overwhelming because it's not actually that good and the metagame is just naturally well adapted to dealing with marsh. speed control is naturally on every team already because it's damn good and works well to help checking marsh. intimidate is naturally on most teams because it's damn good, and also has excellent synergy with pinch berries which make mistakes playing around marsh's coverage less punishing.

i talked with stratos about the games involving marshadow and we'd both come to pretty much the same conclusions in terms of gameplan when it came to the matchup. even though the outlook can be perceived as bad on paper doubles is incredibly situational and reactive and every good team contains all the options to correctly respond to threats provided they arent actually broken. for example the stax team loves to make use of uturn mew sponging a hit and pivoting into the hitters, tailwind gives band zygarde huge opportunities to do softening work for the faster options like kart and mane to do clean up duty late game.

true offensive teams suck at the moment because the metagame is incredibly bulky in a lot of ways this (dont quote me on this i didnt actually watch every game) was the only team id consider a real oldschool type ho team that we've seen all spl. marsh doesnt even fit on these teams well because 125 doesnt cut the mustard as you need a z to kill anything healthy and it's so easily neutered by intim and if you arent picking up enough 1 turn KOs on HO then you lose, you'd think it would be at least be good against tr or something but it can only chunk setters which often isnt enough.

i want to highlight a few interactions i do like with marsh too. stealing seed boosts is good and i like it a lot because i dont really like watching seed boosted pokemon sit on the field for like 8+ turns in a game - less common that it used to be but more naturally occuring counterplay is good imo. less viable chansey is a good thing because i dont like it.

also a last point about suspects in general this is a vote on whether the marshadow meta is balanced not whether you like the current meta better and also i think you should vote to unban this guy he's ok but not as good as u may be thinking

I'm going to base my opinion off Z-move being the better set, and I think it plays to Marshadow's strengths much better.

Responding to Aura's post on LO being better:

I think Marshadow's main strength is its insane flexibility as an offensive 'mon due to the consistently dominating "neutral" matchups it has. It's incredibly hard to incapacitate using normal methods like Intimidate, faster Pokemon, or just bulking it out. Therefore, there's little to no risk adapting to what you need to kill during the game: something like Deoxys-A that does something similar requires the right Z-move, correct terrain conditions in many cases, and a situation where it doesn't just die immediately on the same turn. Marshadow has none of these problems due to its fantastic typing and good bulk, which gets really shown off when you're not taking 10% an attack, and amazing neutral coverage along with the nuke that is Marshadium Z. I think Marshadow is best used as a tool to remove the opponent's biggest threat, nearly guaranteed, and not as its own consistent attacker (and that's not to say it isn't solid as an attacker after you expend the Z-move).

When AuraRay's bulk problems begin to fade away as you're not putting yourself into range of so many attacks, Marshadow's guaranteed kill on the biggest threat becomes much, much harder to stop and problematic. I really don't like the low-skill argument, as I don't think ties are an inherent issue in this case and it takes skill to assess what you need to kill, but I think the number of trades it will always come out positive on are too much for the metagame to handle and definitely something I'd like to keep banned.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Here's my marsh thoughts so far.

I got my Marsh reqs with Stax's sample. I think I faced 7 or 8 Marsh (some Z, some LO) and, to be frank, Marsh was not even a notable threat. Double Intimidate and a fat team is all the Marsh insurance you need; as long as you keep one Intim in the back, he really shouldn't be able to make headway. If this was all of my Marsh experience or I thought this was representative of all Marsh matchups this would be an easy unban vote.

However, this was not all of my Marsh experience. I entered a Marsh roomtour with Emilio's more offensive sample and Marsh felt incredibly powerful. If it comes in on the Intim of a single-Intimidate team it really packs a wallop—it's similar to Kartana in this way. Except unlike Kartana, it has really good priority in LO sneak, which 2HKOes just about every faster threat, so you have to keep your fastmons very healthy to revenge it after the midgame. In the (admittedly one) game I played vs Marshadow with this team, it felt dominating. I assume this experience is equally true for zero intim teams, though that's obviously really just limited to hyper offense.

I do think Marsh has its weaknesses. Its defensive typing is not very helpful. There are almost zero Pokemon which Marsh can just sit safely on. It is rarely OHKOed but almost always 2HKOed by any combination of 2 moves. Additionally, it only has single-target attacks. These two factors mean that it's basically impossible to switch Marsh in except on a slow u-turn, sack, or hard read. You want it to use its one sponge hit after it's already in, because it can't protect itself that well offensively and somewhat relies on reads to hit its targets.

I don't think Z can "remove the opponent's biggest threat, nearly guaranteed" by any stretch. Intim'd SSSSS can't ever OHKO uninvested Tapu Koko, let alone anything with actual bulk. Even if Marsh comes in on your intim on a single-intim team, they're going to have to play mindgames to make sure they hit the right target and don't get Protected on. I know SR makes SSSSS calcs a lot more favorable, but SR is hardly guaranteed in the first few turns of a DOU match. By the time you've set up the board position to nearly guarantee a SSSSS kill (SR up, no intims in back, protect impossible) it's well into the midgame unless you were dominating your opponent anyway. Blowing the game open with Z requires a read, and I don't necessarily think that an early game Z read is unhealthy. Granted it's maybe less risky of a read than Psychium Deo / Fightinium Phero / Electrium Koko because fewer things resist Ghost (so even a failed read can do a chunk), but I think it's in the same ballpark. Though, I do think Ghostium may be the better set because you don't suddenly become OHKOed by neutral STABs after a few attacks.

Miscellaneous thoughts: Marsh speed ties are nothing like Gar speed ties, because Marsh is just a much less broken Pokemon in general, so risking the tie is rarely the right move—and because it's a lategame mon instead of a lead mon. I don't expect this to be huge. As for Spectral Thief stealing boosts, I think that's not too big a deal and potentially even healthy in some situations (diancie / ddzyg are lame and I'd be thrilled if they would fuck off). I am a bit worried about this killing certain sets, like CM Lati / DD MTar / SD Bulu, though I assume people devised counterplay for this back when I wasn't around much. I think HP ice is mostly the nonexistent move that people only use to post calcs because I have to imagine that Shadow Sneak is better. "Marshadium Marsh OHKOes Incin after rocks sometimes with CC" is a complete noncalc btw, Incin can (and will) easily invest to live that hit if it's freed.

My takeaway is: Marsh is absolutely not broken if we take 2 intims on your team as a given, but I'm a bit worried about how it pressures less durdly squads. Do people have experience with how to deal with it with 1 or even 0 intims? Please fill me in. I feel bad voting unban because I'm not sure how Marsh will affect more offensive teams, but I feel bad voting ban because it really doesn't seem broken. "Leave your intim off the field until Marsh comes in" doesn't seem like a particularly reasonable request if it's paired with Kart or even Koko (assuming your Intim is Lando).

Unlike ban suspects, where we have all the pre-suspect experience with the mon as well, we have very little to go off with this unban suspect. The meta is wildly different from the last time Marsh was around. I wish we had more time to know for sure; the meta is really good rn and I don't want to fuck it up by introducing a broken element but I don't want to keep Marsh banned if it isn't broken. In the meantime I'm going to play some games vs Marsh with more offensive teams and see what findings I can gather myself.

Well, I can't talk about Marsh because I really haven't played many matches with it, but I think that it could be an interesting option to have a third voting option that says something like give more time, so that we can actually see how the metagame evolves instead of voting for something that we don't have much experience with. Do you think this is a good idea?

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Tman and Human hit the nail on the head for me pretty much. While Marshadow does suffer from the curse of being able to only target one Pokemon at a time, the pressure it exerts while on the field is insane. Just with presence alone it completely scares any set up from potentially happening. While some may see that as a good thing, to me its just really cutting off a lot of potential creative outlets. Even teams focused around TR struggle immensely to deal with Marshadow needing at least 2 or 3 techs just for this 1 Pokemon. And this is all just looking at Marsh vs the world forgetting about the team around him.

I played in SSD1 during Marsh meta and I'll just say it here, I never had a harder time building than in that format. Yes double Intimidate is very good vs it and yes we have a much better option in Incineroar now, but it still makes you make so many different decisions than you would otherwise take in a more healthy metagame. And even with how bad Marshadow was before, I honestly feel its just gotten better with everything we got in USUM.

A lot of the pro-ban arguments have been presented already so I'm just gonna say this. I think Marshadow promotes harsher building and less strong creative options, and fail to see how unbanning would lead to a healthier metagame. This isn't to call out the TLs or council, but I really do feel this time might've been spent on other Pokemon. We've actually done a great job as a community so far making the Gen 7 metagame one of the better ones to date, so honestly give yourselves a round of applause. Lets not on a mess up like Gen 6 not banning Jirachi

poi

Last edited:

GenOne

Battling Skill:
I gtg so I won't have time to get into this yet, but I might come back later to address this.
Ok so I didn't get to this before because a) I was rushing to get to work and b) I wanted to at least try to be more thorough here, so I'm not just blowing past a bunch of valid pro-Marshadow points that were made.

I participated in a few of the scheduled roomtours to middling success at best, generally facing Marshadow teams that were better than mine. I also laddered with Marshadow for the first half of my reqs laddering before switching to a comfort team I knew well.

Recently though, I came up with a really fun hyper offensive team using Marshadow that I genuinely enjoyed using, which I didn't expect to happen. I also joined a few impromptu roomtours using this team, and having read people's arguments in this thread, to help round out my opinion.

So I want to preface this post by saying I gave Marshadow at least one solid shot, and don't aspire to be the loudest opinion in the room either way. I can see things both ways and just want to give my honest opinions here about how Marshadow influences battling skill in a game -- I might get some things wrong and am open to being corrected.

Battling Skill - the part of skill involved in actually battling

Picking the Right Lead (net neutral)

Marshadow typically isn't an ideal lead since it's so easy to Intimidate and it probably won't be able to OHKO anything or do worthwhile damage so early in the game without risking itself.

Of course, in some situations Marshadow is actually a great lead (e.g. if you want to pressure Incineroar early on or if you're faced vs a Trick Room setter and fear Fake Out).

So really, the decisions involved with leading with Marsh aren't any different from most other Pokemon. No negative effects to the battling aspect of the meta here.

Recognizing the Win Condition (net negative, but only slightly)

Eh. So I can see this one both ways. If you're pro-Marshadow, the strongest arguement I can envision is that using Marshadow still requires you to identify any strong win conditions on the field and preserve Marshadow to deal with them at the right moment. For example, you don't autowin vs Mega Latias just by bringing Marshadow, because if you don't deal with the opposing intimidate cyclers, redirectors, etc. first, Mega Latias can still live a hit and Psyshock the Marshadow.

In my segment about teambuilding skill, I noted that Marshadow discourages win conditions at that stage. Using Marshadow in practice still requires you to recognize opposing wincons and preserve your answers accordingly, however.

The one thing about Marshadow though is that it is equipped to shut down a lot of different types of win conditions in one slot, to a degree of role compression that no other Pokemon offers. Examples of Win Conditions (or just good positions) that Marshadow can negate include:
  • Substitute
  • Stat boosts
  • Fast lategame sweepers via priority
dI can provide more examples if needed, but here's one replay that stood out to me, where in one single game Marshadow bypassed a Substitute Aegislash, shut down a +1 Volcarona mid-game despite Volcarona having a speed advantage, then clipped that same Volcarona in the endgame despite getting back up to +1:
Having Marshadow in the back generally means that, on average, you'll have to think a bit less about which other 5 Pokemon need to be preserved for specific win con threats because Marshadow is a blanket panic button against all of them. This hampers the amount of skill needed to win a match, if only slightly.

Picking the Right Move (net negative)

Marshadow very rarely has to worry to much about picking the right move, at least compared to a lot of other Pokemon. Its strong + fast Ghost coverage hits the majority of the metagame satisfactorily, so you're never punished too hard for failing to predict a switch if you click this. Close Combat punishes Spectral Thief's switch ins for huge damage (both Normal-types and Dark-types take x2), so Marshadow is always in the driver's seat in terms of which move is best to click.

Additionally, Marshadow gets access to a strong, Technician-boosted priority move to help take the guesswork out of matchups versus faster attackers.

It isn't skill-less to pick which move to click on Marshadow, but the risk:reward ratio is skewed far higher towards "reward" on Marshadow compared to most other mons, which can easily waste a turn if they click into a resist.

The one exception to this is Marshadow mirrors. In a vaccuum, if you mirror versus a Marshadow, you are forced into a speed-tie gamble where you're either forced to:
  • click shadow sneak to risk the speed tie
  • Protect the Marshadow
  • predict the opponent not to risk the shadow sneak and go for a stronger attack
However, Aurarayquza brought up some great points about the dynamics behind speed ties, and to be honest I agree with most of what he said. If you haven't read his points please read them here. Tl;dr though is I think it's oversimplistic to say that Marshadow speed ties are _always_ skill-less; in the right contexts they absolutely can be skillful.

I will, however, say that speed ties can be annoying more than some people have made them out to be. I have a small sample size to work from but here's a few recent replays where speed ties played a significant role in the outcome of a game I played:
Overall, Marshadow is inherently a Pokemon that simplifies the amount of skill that goes into picking the right move, and no other Pokemon shares the same disregard for the type chart that Marshadow does. But while it has a net negative effect on skill, it's not "skill-less" by any means.

Smart Switching (net negative)

What I said about mirrors above applies here too so I won't repeat.

Mirrors aside, smart switching is an integral part of using Marshadow in this metagame. You want to switch it out of situations where Intimidate prevents it from breaking stuff. You want to preserve it from unnessesary hits so it can clear out the right threats later.

However, switching into Marshadow is a whole different story. You cannot really switch into Marshadow reliably unless you have Intimidate or redirection support. One big skill in gameplay is knowing when to predict and switch resists into attacks to mitigate the amount of damage your team is taking, and Marshadow makes it harder to practice this skill.

Gathering Information and Making Assumptions (net neutral)

I don't think Marshadow has an effect on this either way. Net neutral.

Long-term vs. Short-term Goals (net negative)

Ok so I mentioned this a lot in the teambuilding section of my last post, but Marshadow severely inhibits player's abilities to plan towards long-term goals.

I'm not gonna repeat long text on what what I've already talked about exensively, but Marshadow is just so dang good at shutting down long-term strategies. Even if it doesn't shut down everything perfectly, it makes the whole game gravitate a lot more towards the short-term goal of trading blows with your opponent and _maybe_ getting a Tailwind or Icy Wind up, at the expense of long-term win con strategies which are inherently an important part of a healthy metagame.

Net negative imo.

Assessing Risk (net positive)

Woah, a net positive??

Yeah, I actually do like this aspect of Marshadow. Marshadow's presence heightens the stakes for attempting to prepare a setup sweeper, which I actually think is healthy. Stuff like Volcarona and Kommo-o can be easy to become runaway wincons without proper checks, and Marshadow becomes this element where fast setup can't just mindlessly click attacks once it's in a favourable position.

Using Marshadow overall also requires constant assessment of risk. The main risks it has to assess correctly are Intimidate's potential to prevent it from killing threats, and its fear of taking too much damage before it has a chance to properly deal with opposing threats it needs to be preserved for.

Marshadow mirrors are dumb and an exception to this, but as Aray mentioned in most mirror matchups there are enough healthy play options at hand that this isn't _always_ skilless (even though I think it is skilless in some contexts).

Probability Management (net negative)

Perfect offensive coverage, a multitude of tools to deal with strategic wincons / long-term strategies, and pretty decent neutral bulk mitigate the risk of bringing Marshadow in at any given point during a match, and you're always rewarded in some way shape or fashion for getting it in just because of Marshadow's inherent ability to shut so many things down.

Maybe that's a bit simplistic. There are ways to play Marshadow terribly. Player skill being equal though, using Marshadow requires less probability management that any other Pokemon I can think of.

Marshadow mirrors are Marshadow mirrors - see above.

Conclusion

Yeah so overall, in terms of battling skill, I do think there are some aspects where Marshadow's presence hampers this a bit...but, I'm not sure if it's to the extent where I can consider Marshadow to be unhealthy on the battlefield.

I still don't think Marshadow does anything to boost skillful play though, and its impacts on teambuilding skill are pretty significant imo. Basically what it boils down to for me is that it's perfectly possible to adapt to a Marshadow metagame because, assuming you bring something viable for the meta, there's still decent skill involved with playing the games. The problem is, Marshadow's presence in the metagame heavily discourages creative teambuilding and is a disincentive to long-term strategy, both of which are integral aspects of a healthy metagame.

Some people are of the mentality that they are willing to sacrifice teambuilding skill for a higher ceiling on battling skill.

My stance right now is that one shouldn't be favoured over the other, and that if either are threatened that should be cause for keeping something banned.

Marshadow inhibits teambuilding quite a bit (although not to the point where I won't find new ideas to build) but also doesn't do anything significant to raise the ceiling on battling skill. Therefore, re-introducing Marshadow to me seems like something that would take an already-balanced meta and detract from it.

My stance is subjective, and I'm not exactly rallying that Marshadow must stay banned. If the majority wants it to be freed, I'll understand it. I just wanted to contribute to the conversation.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I played in SSD1 during Marsh meta and I'll just say it here, I never had a harder time building than in that format. Yes double Intimidate is very good vs it and yes we have a much better option in Incineroar now, but it still makes you make so many different decisions than you would otherwise take in a more healthy metagame. And even with how bad Marshadow was before, I honestly feel its just gotten better with everything we got in USUM.
The problem is, Marshadow's presence in the metagame heavily discourages creative teambuilding
Sorry for just replying to snippets of your posts. But I'm awful at articulating myself generally, and it's those points I had very different experiences with.
I found building during SSD1 to be the freest I've felt in any gen7 doubles meta. Magnitudes ahead of the proceeding Lax and Stag metas.
I was easily able to build each team with a completely different mega, I used 9 in total during the tour and had another 3 lined up. I used Hard TR, Exca-Sand, Garde Tail-room, Meta Balance, Veil Mew+DD Zygarde+QD Volc et cetera. And came out of it with a strong 6-3. Similarly L51 used an exceptionally diverse cast of mons in the same tour.
Never felt Marsh was a hindrance to building or archetype diversity.

I was kind of around the fence, voting no ban the first time and ban the second time. But I'm feeling more sure that it's truly not much of an issue anymore. I enjoy it's interactions with Incineroar especially,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)