np: USUM Stage 9 - Ready or Not (Bisharp, Latios and Latiosite banned from UU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I personally believe we should look at Bisharp from a different point of view. Now I agree that Bisharp is pressurizing defoggers, putting heavy dent on stall/balance teams , hard hitting pokemon in general. It also has plenty checks and very common counters, even a few mons that can defog safely on it and it can be revenge killed, as we have many good fighting types in the tier. It is very obvious that its a strong pokemon but its a manageable pokemon on its own. Note that Bisharp can immensely pressure most defensive backbones single handedly and its access to SD + Strong Priority lets it clean offensive teams quite easily. Issue here is, teams are consist of 6 pokemons and Bisharp can be backed off .

Pairing Bisharp with correct pokemons may eventually cause that team/core to destroy the entire meta. One of cores I can think of right now is Terrakion + Bisharp. As Terrakion has no real counters outside Doublade , Bisharp can effectively beat every check and counter for Terrakion. (Now I know that Doublade beats both Terrakion and Bisharp in a 1 v 1 situation I just point out that Doublade cant switch in Bisharp and the idea of being forced to run Doublade in every team is just absurd as we have lots of good fire types / fire coverage in the tier aswell. ) Now, Imagine Bisharp and Terrakion together having a voltturn core against a stall/balance. Chances of stall and balance prevailing is very low.

Examples may go on. I do fully agree that Bisharp is not that hard to manage single handedly but we shouldnt ignore that we have plenty pokemons in the tier with high offensive capabilities.

Last edited:
I myself am very conflicted on the state of Bisharp in the current metagame. The whole Bisharp without Keldeo meta sounds like a bad taste of deja vu from the Breloom without Amoongus meta. Think about it, both of these mons are slow offensive behemoths that both were 4x weak to a common typing in that meta that could boost their offense to even greater heights after a Swords Dance boost. Both of these mons were even considered to not be liked by many people even when their most prominent walls were available in the tier. Even though this situation has this uncanny resemblance, I think that it would be safe to keep Bisharp as it still doesn't offer as much immediate fear to seeing it as Breloom once did.

I do believe that Bisharp has enough answers in the tier that are also not too big of a constraint on teambuilding and even if it does nab a kill it’s still very easy to revenge kill by the curse of its piss poor speed tier. The issue is that Bisharp can usually only run one specific set to cater to its team’s needs and loses something that’s integral to its success. It could opt for Low Kick to nail Coballion on the switch but that either replaces Swords Dance which is unreliable because Bisharp needs to rely on its opponent to Defog at the right time in order to even get a sweep going or Knock Off which means it loses its primary Dark stab and now it has to use its inconsistent Dark priority as a main STAB.

Second point is that while its great on its main archetype Hyper Offense, that just means it’s compressing Steel weaknesses with Klefki and that just leaves Spikes HO to be even more prone to losing by Fighting types if they play incorrectly. People claim its tough on balance builds well that's why the meta is adapting with mons like Gligar finding itself on more builds to blanket Fighting types and Bisharp. I also think that now that Latios is banned, Bisharp is far more tamer as Latias could never provide the amount of offensive support that its brother gave it. There are a lot of Pokémon in this tier that appear to have an unresisted STAB combo but they're held back by a terrible speed tier.

In conclusion, I think that the metagame will adapt to Bisharp's presence and that it is a great addition to the tier along with Zeraora.

I think we should get a public suspect on Bisharp. Some think it's way too much but some of us are ok with it. It might be worth sending the vote to the people of the tier and seeing what they think before we give up completely on Bisharp. It's pretty clear people are split on this one, and even though I lean a bit towards ban, I also think that the meta could adapt to Bisharp in the long run. Just a thought though¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
I think we should get a public suspect on Bisharp. Some think it's way too much but some of us are ok with it. It might be worth sending the vote to the people of the tier and seeing what they think before we give up completely on Bisharp. It's pretty clear people are split on this one, and even though I lean a bit towards ban, I also think that the meta could adapt to Bisharp in the long run. Just a thought though¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hogg announced in the post banning bisharp that a public suspect is going to be held in the near future. Thank you for the suggestion, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)