np: USUM UU Stage 5 - Obsessions (Kommonium Z and Scolipede banned from UU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New games, new stage.

USUM has been released and implemented on Pokemon Showdown. It's very likely the new moves and Pokemon have a major effect on the tier, even if indirectly because everytime a new threat gets introduced in OU something drops to UU. Additionally, we will be introducing some changes to the tier and the tiering system in the near future, because this is the best opportunity to do so and should improve the quality of the UU tier.

To be able to keep things relatively stable, we'll be going back to council votes for as long as it necessary. We'll go back to public suspects eventually, but expect some changes regarding that system. The current council is:

Amaroq
Christo
Cynde
dodmen
Eyan
Hikari
Hogg
Lycans
Manipulative
Sacri'
Tony

Use this thread to discuss the USUM UU metagame. There's no need to blindly speculate or ask for quick bans, so don't.

Last edited:
Back and ready to clear some hazards o/
"Stealth Rock wasn't really a necessity in Gen V."

Back on topic, I think the mass access to Defog is by far the biggest shift in the metagame so far. It no longer constrains the player to use the same 3-4 Pokemon to remove Hazards and it increases the diversity of Balance/Hazard Stack cores.

Defog Rotom-W makes the Volt-Turn playstyle more dangerous because it compresses a hazard remover and a Volt-Turn pivot without compromising any significant positive attribute it has. Defog Scizor sacrificed its offensive potential to be able to U-Turn and remove hazards. Shifting the role onto Rotom-W allows the ScRotom core to use Offensive variants with little recourse.

Empoleon will definitely be edged out of A- and probably drop to B. With the new Defoggers, there's really nothing that makes it stand out anymore other than its Defensive typing.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm not too sure what else is really good other than Necrozma. It now gets Heat Wave and some base 100 Psychic STAB move. I still think it's much worse than Latias when it comes to a CM sweeper, but who knows.

Just to comment on a few things:
Alolan-Muk learning Fire Punch is a pretty neat tech, since it guarantees KOs against Scizor:

0 SpA Muk-Alola Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 136 SpD Scizor: 228-272 (66.4 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
136+ Atk Muk-Alola Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 124+ Def Scizor: 228-272 (66.4 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Muk-Alola Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 268-316 (95.3 - 112.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
136+ Atk Muk-Alola Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 284-336 (101 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You also conserve Speed EVs by running Adamant over Brave, but I genuinely don't know what Muk would need to outspeed.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
First Impressions:

DD Soulblaze Kommo-o is by far the best set as of now. Here are the set details:

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof SOUNDPROOF
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail
- Dragon Dance

Really nice stallbreaker now, especially with its new upgrades. With DD, not only can it accumulate extra Speed boosts alongside Clangorous Soulblaze to ensure that Choice Scarfers like Latias can't revenge kill it, but also it complements extremely well now with its new moves in Close Combat and Iron Tail. With a DD boost and its Z-move boost, it's hard to effectively revenge kill it because +1 Defense along with its great natural bulk means it's taking relatively little damage from priority moves unless it's used Clanging Scales or Close Combat multiple times (CB Scizor's Bullet Punch does like 35% tops and Mamo's Ice Shard fails to crack 50%). Even when uninvested, +1 Clanging Scales still delivers strong blows to the myriad of threats that take on CC/Iron tail fairly well. Definitely a huge threat to look out for in this new meta.

Next off, a bit of theorymonning here but if Stakatakatakatakatakatakkatkktkatkakaktkaktkkaka drops to UU (which isn't a guarantee because this thing is actually good in OU), then Trick Room might actually become a really threatening playstyle o.O

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-660876591

I didn't play this test game particularly well nor am I known for building good Trick Room teams but as you can see, CB Gyro Ball literally breaks through everything that doesn't have high defense and resist it. I know most people have been running -Def nature with 14 IVs in order for Beast Boost to increase Attack instead of Defense, but since it's already insanely powerful, Beast Boosting Defense isn't a particularly terrible idea, because that actually allows Stakataka to tank many Fighting/Ground moves more capably which in many cases it cannot do without Defense boosts.

I know some people here have sold it off because of what seems to be really alarming weaknesses, but what I've been seeing in practice with a few of my test matches but also ladder matches in OU is a freakishly strong threat that is capable of absolutely demolishing unprepared teams.

edit: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-661334808 this shit ohkos Gliscor lmao

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
An offensive core I've really been liking so far is the Kommo-O set described above (although I prefer Soundproof as not being roared has been very handy, and Bulletproof wouldn't have come into play so far), Sharpedo and offensive SD Scizor. These 3 are very hard to handle for most teams and put enough pressure on any combined checks such that they have a hard time keeping up. Sharpedo and Kommo-O can wear out bulky fairies and the like for each other, usually achieved from Kommo-O nailing with a +1 Iron Tail (or CC in the case of Klefki) and Sharpedo using that hole as an opportunity to clean, with Scizor providing a more natural means of beating them. Scarf Dracos coming in to pound Kommo-O are literally free set up for Scizor, who can take the opportunity to weaken bulky waters for shark etc. There's just lots of things going on, had lots of fun with this so far.

Hate to turn this into an echo chamber, but Kommo-O is looking so much better now. In addition to what people have been saying about Clangerous Soulblaze (god that name is stupid), I've found good success with a simple Dragon Dance + 3 attacks set.

Kommo-O @ Dragonium Z / Fightinium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Close Combat
- Outrage
- Iron Head / Iron Tail

Boost with Dragon Dance, and KO as much as you can. Close Combat is the main STAB, at worst 2HKOing anything that doesn't resist it at +1. Outrage is the secondary STAB. Iron Head hits Fairy-types; Iron Tail is stronger but much less accurate. EVs maximise Speed and power - you need Jolly to outrun Mega Aerodactyl at +1. Dragonium Z is best for a 190 BP Devastating Drake that OHKOes Gliscor after Stealth Rock. Fightinium Z can be used to OHKO Defog Scizor with a +1 All Out Pummelling most of the time. You could also use Steelium Z to rectify Iron Tail's shaky accuracy - it also lets you OHKO defensive Togekiss and Sylveon without hazards at +1.

Admittedly, it faces competition from Haxorus and Mega Altaria. It's much bulkier than the former, and slightly faster than the latter - that extra 5 Speed lets it outrun Mega Beedrill and Mega Aerodactyl at +1, which Altaria can't do. The aformentioned bulk and Soundproof gives it more set up opportunities than Haxorus.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Something that has been discussed a lot recently is the size of the BL list. With 25 Pokemon currently in that nebulous place between tiers, BL is significantly larger than it has been in four generations. Now, the UU council's priority has always been to maintain a balanced tier, and the size of the BL list has never been (and should never be) a consideration when discussing bans. However, many of these Pokemon were banned during UU Beta in a drastically different metagame. For several months we have been discussing whether any of these deserve to be reintroduced, and have decided that this transition period following the release of Ultra Sun & Moon is the right time for it.

Accordingly, we have decided to release Azumarill, Scolipede and Serperior from BL. These Pokemon will be legal to use on the UU ladder and in tours. Over the next couple of weeks, the council will be following the tier closely and making bans as necessary by council vote. Please use this thread to discuss these new introductions, as well as the metagame in general, as Hikari and I will be monitoring it closely to determine what elements (if any) should receive council votes.

Eyan and The Immortal, please unban Azumarill, Scolipede and Serperior from UU.

EDIT: Didn't realize this needed to be said but apparently it does. This still has the same standards of any other NP thread. One liners and meme posts will be deleted.

Last edited:
with all the defoggers and rotom-wash's presence in the tier, serperior is looking to be super good at the least, possibly broken but obvs too early to tell.

sub, leech seed, leaf storm, dragon pulse, HP fire, even glare all make for a dangerous mon that can steamroll through teams imo

i guess it still has checks in amoonguss, mega alt, but other than those like not much can stop it once it gets a leaf storm off

azumarill should be fun, as well as offensive scolipede :O

i wanna try these mons out but also just got ultra moon today so like lmao

ehT

:dog:
is a Contributor Alumnus

I didn't really get the chance to use Azu when it was here, so even though I respected the hell out of the players who carried the free Azu sentiment throughout SM, I took it with a grain of salt. But now that I've given it a try, honestly, it's not that bad. Every playstyle has plenty of Water resists that aren't that hard to keep healthy (offense has Sceptile, Lati, Alt, Starmie, balance / BO has Alt, Alo, Moonguss, etc etc) if you play remotely intelligently. CB is probably the toughest to deal with, but I'd compare it to Terrakion in that its typing + coverage is insane all together, but relatively easy to punish once locked in, and pivoting around coverage that'd blow away traditional switch ins isn't a new concept. BD really only fits on HO cause it's so risky as a cleaner with how easy it is to pressure + not reliably setting up on much.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Knock Off

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Flamethrower
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Latias @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Here's a fun HO team I made toying around with BD that I think showcases how much support it needs pretty well, namely how much I had to dedicate to pressuring fat stuff providing Azu with a setup opportunity. And even then, I only do an OK job handling Azu's offensive checks (Sceptile, Electrics, etc), so there's lots of games where it doesn't setup safely or it does nothing because someone else is doing all the work. I've had a lot of fun with Azu, and it's a really solid mon, but it's nowhere as ridiculous as I expected it to be, and I think it's a pretty fun addition to the tier.

This is the strangest thing i've ever brought up but...

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Reflect Type
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Bulky Starmie is nothing new, but in this meta it is quite possibly the best hazard remover in the tier, at the very least is top 3. I've been using it a lot recently on the ladder and in roomtours, and want to share a list of setters that it beats. Let me make it clear that if the opponent just spams stealth rock, rapid spin has 2 times the PP and will win in the end. It outspeeds everything, and overall has the best matchup on a mon to mon basis compared to any other hazard remover.

Mostly this is due to its incredible speed and rapid spin having more PP than rocks. For instance, in a situation where nidoking is facing starmie, you'll find the nidoking can either use sludge wave, get 2hkoed, or it can use stealth rocks and have to get rapid spinned until it runs out. Because starmie outspeeds, it can always go for scald first, and if it decides to sludge wave, simply kill the king. You will find this matchup formula works for most setters.

Gliscor - The rocks set has a hard time beating starmie, as scald forces it to roost every turn ultimately gets stalled out 1v1.
Aerodactyl-Mega - Starmie will have no problems staying in and beating it 1v1 barring the inferior crunch.
Cobalion - The rocks set has nothing to beat starmie.
Infernape - Outsped and 2hkoed by starmie
Klefki - Certain sets like toxic are annoying, but rare and often inferior to others. This means starmie will win 90% of the time, and doesnt even care about twave because it can switch. It also beats chandelure, the most common spinblocker used with keys. Reflect type invalidates play rough.
Mamoswine - No contest. Reflect type invalidates knock off, and while EQ hurts you will win 1v1.
Empoleon - With reflect type, it is limited to roaring, and ultimately starmie keeps rocks off the field in that case.
Swampert - Starmie doesnt care much for toxic (people run roar anyway) and you ultimately beat this comfortably.
Tentacruel - Starmie is favoured, as it has recovery. Rapid spin indefinitely until it stalls tenta out.
Aggron-mega - Starmie does not care at all.
Hippowdon - No contest, really
Krookodile - This one is tricky, but yes, non-scarf rocks sets lose due to reflect type. Even if they are scarfed, they are forced to knock and therefore let me keep hazards off the field.
Nidoking - Starmie wins before nidoking does, yes even with thunderbolt.
Nihilego - Pretty easy win, maybe not 1v1. This is the only one i havent really faced yet, but on paper Starm wins
Terrakion - The lead set will lose 1v1.
Azelf - Without knock off, I can spin indefinitely. Starmie even speed ties. No contest.
Blissey - Theoretically, like with a lot of defensive rockers, a toxic set will win 1v1. That said, starmie still keeps hazards off the field comfortably against this.
Celebi - Reflect type. Easy, but weak to uturn.
Metagross - Starmie counters every set.
Steelix Mega - Refer to aggron.
Bronzong - Reflect type invalidates toxic. Scald burn means EQ does no damage.
Gigalith - Loses, because i can stall out of stone edges or just burn.
Nidoqueen - Same case as nidoking.
Cloyster - A lead set with shell smash opens itself up to scald burns. While it might still get up hazards, it has to be lucky and play perfectly.
Forretress - Garbage
Roserade - loses to reflect type in most cases.

What it loses to:

Roserade - Offensive sets dont care about reflect type
Seismitoed - Without toxic you obviously lose, but it still has to put up a fight and you can remove hazards even if you end up losing and dying.
Aerodactyl - Double edge is a thing, I guess that sucks but this thing usually gets up hazards vs everything.
Froslass - Cant spin on it. Can scald burn. I count that as a starmie win anyway lol.

The key things here are this: 1) Starmie doesnt care about typing or status moves, due to reflect type and natural cure being some of the best ways of deterring hazards like toxic spikes and beating setters in general. 2) it has a very impressive list of pokemon is can stop hazards against 1v1, much bigger than any remover the tier has ever seen. Not even gliscor, its best competition, can boast such a tall list of opponents and does not have as much speed nor does it have the pp of rapid spin.

With all the other mons getting the spotlight, i thought this random suggestion would be cool. I wanted to make an RMT on it myself, but i wont get to that soon so i'll just post it here to better the knowledge of everyone. I think this has potential on stall, which is now running two defoggers just to keep up, and so this compresses roles into one pokemon. On offensive teams, bulky starmie is perfect hazard control, meaning you only need the support of one pokemon if you want to use Talonflame for instance.

This team's hazard game is flawless, with swampert, klefki and of course starmie forming a core, and then some mons which take advantage.
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Reflect Type
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Imprison
- Defog

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Memento

It's amazing to me that with all the new defoggers in the tier, starmie has flown under the radar as one of the best removers, period. I encourage its use, even with the new meta changes.

edit: here are some fun cores:

extremely complementary, doesnt need to run waterium
untouchable by hazards

Last edited:
Can we just talk about how amazing Kommo-o is with Kommonium z now? Seriously, having a move that buffs all stats is a godsend for the thing. Definitely a Pokemon to watch in the future.

Don't really post in these meta discussions often, but I have to stress that Kommo-o is a serious threat.

Players are starting to experiment with Drain Punch instead of CC. With its strong bulk, recovery from Drain Punch and the defense boost from its Z-Move, Kommo-o becomes an unbreakable juggernaut, once its few counters are removed.

I think a suspect test for Kommonium-Z should definitely be considered in the near future. This Z-Move is far too strong.

I've been messing around with belly drum kommo-o, and while I do agree that dragon dance(Kommonium/Z) is deadly. This set gives it a run for its money; once the player gets rid of quag, and deadly scarfers(if sub isn't up) that have higher speed base than it. The aforementioned set finds so many set up opportunities, and those same opportunities increase when paired with a mon with eject button. In conclusion, I see Kommo-o being suspected in the future(as the buffs it received makes it unpredictable and could become restrictive to teambuilding) even after the ban of Kommonium-Z

Kommo-O @ Salac berry
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Iron Head
- Belly Drum
- Sub/coverage of choice

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
My favorite Serperior set:

upload_2017-11-19_22-35-53.png

snekky snek (Serperior) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hyper Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

+2 Z Hyper Beam gets a KO on Latias after SR 44% of the time, which is not bad since it is not hard to get chip damage on Latias. You can also OHKO Scolipede at +0 with SR up which is really nice, and do a lot of damage to Grass resists in general after a Leaf Storm boost.

For example, Amoonguss has a chance to die after SR + Leaf Storm + boosted Z Hyper Beam, especially if it is the increasingly common not Leftovers set.

This is a probably one of the best Serperior sets but it does take a Z move and without Leech Seed or Taunt, it has trouble with Blissey.

My favorite Azumarill set:

upload_2017-11-19_22-38-50.png

funny bunny (Azumarill) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Play Rough
- Toxic
- Rest

The most notable thing this counters is Serperior but it also stops top threats like Sharpedo, Aerodactyl, Hydreigon and non boosting Latias. The move set and EVs are probably subpar (I have never clicked Rest yet) and Azumarill has some interesting options potentially like Protect, Whirlpool, and Perish Song, which might be better than its current moves. I had to use this set because Pearl destroyed me 3 times in a row with...

upload_2017-11-19_22-39-24.png

I feel like this Pokemon alone has made Fairies a near necessity to block out Z Clanging Scales (unless you want a Soundproof Pokemon, but the only one that can stop Kommomo is other Kommomo so...). I hate it. I know Hikari said in the OP not to ask for quick bans, so I won't. I will just say when/if this super bulky super strong nearly unwallable threat (Belly Drum is probably the most threatening set) gets a test, the tiering council will have my full support.

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm really enjoying this new metagame so far. Plenty of Pokemon have some newfound niches that are applicable in the metagame, and the reintroductions are certainly shaking up the tier so far. Here are some of my thoughts on whats been happening:

Azumarill is a lot of fun in this metagame. Z-Belly Drum sets are really potent, though I feel that their biggest drawback is the amount of support required for a sweep. Fast Water-resists that can tank a hit and revenge kill, most notably Serperior and Rotom-W, should be removed from play, and Mega Aggron, while not super common, acts as a total defensive countermeasure to it assuming no Superpower and should be taken care of before it sweeps as well. I've had the most fun with Choice Band sets, as they have really limited switch-ins and burden a lot of Azumarill's common checks, including Amoonguss and Tentacruel, with the removal of their item via Knock Off. In terms of how healthy Azu is for the meta, I feel like it has a few issues that prevent it from deserving a return to BL. Its typing is really convenient, though it can only really act as a switch-in to something once given its lack of recovery and average bulk without investment. It also sits at a really poor Speed tier, which is why semi-strenuous support is required for a Belly Drum sweep. Azumarill is absolutely amazing in the metagame and has easily cemented itself already as one of the tier's best physical threats, though I think that its drawbacks are enough for it to refrain from going back to where it just came from.

This thing is super annoying. I think it's fine for the metagame, though it's certainly frustrating dealing with the SubSeed set due to Serperior's amazing Speed stat. In addition to taking names with its SubSeed set, Serperior can viably run a Z-Hyper Beam set to take down some of its more reliable checks like Amoonguss, Mega Altaria, and Mandibuzz, and despite what a first look at its movepool might suggest, it actually has some adequate options to cover a good portion of the metagame, like Dragon Pulse and HP Fire. Glare is another great option on it so that it can cripple what it can't beat with paralysis, and overall I think that Serperior's addition to the metagame will certainly shake things up. It'll serve as a really reliable offensive check to a few annoying Pokemon in the tier, like Rotom-W, Suicune, and Primarina. Its underwhelming initial power and average bulk and typing keep it from being too much, though I think it'll still prove to be a top threat and something that influences a good portion of the metagame.

Scolipede is the only drop that I legitimately think could be unhealthy for the metagame. Speed Boost + Swords Dance is a nasty combination, and it has a plethora of coverage options to choose from that allow it to absolutely plow through offense. You could argue that Pokemon like Quagsire and Hippowdon can take care of it, though the latter is broken through by Hydro Vortex while the former isn't ever seen on the offensive teams that Scolipede steamrolls due to being such a huge momentum sap. Scolipede's ability to break through nearly anything on offense with Bug/Ground/Water coverage makes it extremely troublesome to deal with, and Speed boost only exacerbates the issue given that almost no relevant scarfer is outpacing it once it reaches +1. I'm not calling for a quick-ban since it isn't allowed lol, but I seriously think that whether or not Scolipede is too much for the tier should be questioned somewhere down the road. It's certainly proving itself to be one of the most overly centralizing presences in the tier in my eyes.

Those are my thoughts on the Pokemon reintroduced to the tier. However, one Pokemon that's already been around but just got insanely better has been on my mind ever since it got access to its signature move, and that Pokemon is none other than our generic disappointing base-form box legendary, Necrozma.

Necrozma @ Groundium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Photon Geyser
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Necrozma got Photon Geyser as these new games came out, and now that it finally has a (technically) physical STAB attack that it can abuse, I think there's a lot of merit to using the set listed above. Photon Geyser + Edgequake is absolutely excellent coverage, and has really limited switch-ins outside of Krookodile, which is falling off, and Bronzong, which is rather irrelevant at this stage in the metagame. Necrozma also has a fantastic ability and great bulk for setup, allowing it to easily reach +2 to begin sweeping. Groundium Z is the Z Crystal I currently like most on it, because it guarantees the breaking of Scizor, Doublade, Mega Steelix, and other bulky Steel-types. I've also toyed around with Psychium Z, which can be really useful for powering through the likes of Gliscor and Hippowdon in one hit.

Here are some replays of Necrozma in action:
Replay 1 - despite what was arguably a lackluster performance from the opposition, I think that Necrozma's sweeping prowess is adequately showcased here as it breaks past Alolan Muk early game and guarantees a late-game sweep with its fantastic coverage.
Replay 2 - Here, Necrozma doesn't last as long due to me not remembering that Rotom-W ran sets that could outspeed it ;~; Regardless, the sue of Groundium Z is shown here as it aids Necrozma in easily powering through Scizor, which would otherwise live a hit and do massive damage in return.

Overall, I think that Necrozma now has enough going for it to be a legitimate threat in the metagame and something worthy of being seen on way more teams than before. Its biggest issues are that due to foregoing recovery, it's easily worn down and succumbs to offensive pressure, and that its typing is also rather lackluster. Regardless, I think that its fairly easy to support, immensely benefitting from tools like Healing Wish from Latias if they're capable of being fit onto a team. I'm predicting a ranking of B or B- for this monster, as it's seriously such a potent threat now that it got one of the only things keeping it from posing a big physical threat.

yeezyknows

Banned deucer.

Florges @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Heal Bell / Wish
- Synthesis
- Defog

on the surface it might seem like I'm memeing with this, but in a meta where the eminent defensive fairy (sylv) can't touch kommo-o with its main offensive move, florges has a pretty cool and comfy niche. With access to defog, this set slides right into balance builds as an easy glue mon that can bop opposing kommo-o's and lure opposing scizors, while also providing hazard control. It might seem better on paper than in practice, but this tech looks pretty neat in the current meta, if anything.

calcs:

offensive sciz:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Babiri Berry Florges: 255-302 (70.8 - 83.8%)

4 SpA Florges Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: 232-276 (82.5 - 98.2%)

kommo-o:

4 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Kommo-o: 292-348 (100.3 - 119.5%)

+1 252 Atk Kommo-o Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Babiri Berry Florges: 133-157 (36.9 - 43.6%)

Tuthur

formerly 0-7 in FCL
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My favorite Serperior set:

View attachment 91213

snekky snek (Serperior) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hyper Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

+2 Z Hyper Beam gets a KO on Latias after SR 44% of the time, which is not bad since it is not hard to get chip damage on Latias. You can also OHKO Scolipede at +0 with SR up which is really nice, and do a lot of damage to Grass resists in general after a Leaf Storm boost.

For example, Amoonguss has a chance to die after SR + Leaf Storm + boosted Z Hyper Beam, especially if it is the increasingly common not Leftovers set.

This is a probably one of the best Serperior sets but it does take a Z move and without Leech Seed or Taunt, it has trouble with Blissey.
I just to point out that Z-Wring Out has only 10 bp less than Z-Hyper Beam and that unlike Hyper Beam, you can still fearless click Wring Out without the Z.

Since Gold and Silver are now compatible with Poke Transfer, and mons from GS can come to USM with their hidden abilities, this means Sap Sipper Azumarill with Whirlpool is now a legal combination, so let the stall-breaking begin lmao.

This also means Curse Poison Heal Gliscor can now be a thing.

Edit; forgot Curse Scizor = non Technician lmao, but Mega Scizor in OU can benefit from it.

Last edited:
Since Gold and Silver are now compatible with Poke Transfer, and mons from GS can come to USM with their hidden abilities, this means Sap Sipper Azumarill with Whirlpool is now a legal combination, so let the stall-breaking begin lmao.

This also means Curse Scizor and Curse Poison Heal Gliscor can now be things.
Is this true? Does this mean we get Berserk Gene as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)