First thing I want to announce is that we have decided to revisit one of our old tiering decisions: Mega Houndoom's ban. Mega Houndoom's ban was fairly controversial at the time it occurred. Nobody doubted Houndoom was extremely powerful with Drought support and that it was the main thing pushing the playstyle over the edge; however, the way we dealt with the Sun-related problem wasn't consistent with the way we dealt with Drizzle. Drought is significantly weaker than Drizzle, as the latter has much better abusers and overall team synergy, so you can't directly compare both playstyles, but there are some big similarities between them. Drought is evidently not broken without Mega Houndoom, but it's quite easy to see Mega Houndoom isn't broken outside of Drought-based playstyles and those didn't consist of a single abuser. Why ban Mega Houndoom / Kingdra / Mega Swampert instead of the other abusers that enable Drought / Drizzle? you don't break those playstyles with a single Pokemon.
The original ban wasn't consistent with the way we dealt with a similar problem, and a compelling case had not been made that Mega Houndoom was independently broken, with no support other than Drought itself. We believe the original decision wasn't the correct one, so we'll do it right this time: Drought is now banned from UU and Mega Houndoom will be introduced back into the tier. Technically this means we can unban Mega Charizard-Y, but it wouldn't be available for use regardless.
But wait, there's more...
We will be suspecting two Pokemon and using the new public voting system to decide their tiering. The Pokemon being tested are: Breloom and Buzzwole. The tier has changed drastically since they were in the tier and there are significant more ways of playing around them now, so we feel it's worth testing their effect on the current UU metagame.
The ladder requirements will be as follows:
- The N value for this suspect will be 20, the COIL requirement will be 2650. You are required to have a minimum GXE of 82 or higher to achieve ladder reqs.
- Members of the UU Council now have the following requirements in order to vote in a suspect (bolded is a new requirement):
- A minimum of 35 games on the suspect ladder, with a GXE of 82 or higher, and
- One "decent quality" NP post (decent quality is to be determined by the tier leaders).
- Players with recent official tour success in the meta may qualify using council requirements rather than ladder requirements.
- Any player with a top 8 finish in the most recent iteration of an official SM UU tour may vote in a suspect test after playing a minimum of 35 games on the suspect ladder, with a GXE of 82 or higher.
- Qualifying tours include UU Majors, UU Open, UU Ladder Tour and UU Championships. Only the most recent iteration of the tour qualifies.