np: UU - A Farewell To Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 1 of voting has ended! The following change have been made to UU because of tier list changes and voting:

Code:
Moved out of UU:
Abomasnow (18-2-0)
Gallade (11-7-2)
Froslass (10-9-1)
Smeargle (Moved to OU due to usage in OU)
Staraptor (18-1-1)
Raikou (11-8-1)

Moved into UU:
Crobat (0-20-0)
Yanmega (Fell from OU due to lack of usage in OU)
Once Doug resets the ladder, the changes will be up and then we will be back to the beginning of the testing phase again.

Just a few reminders again:
  • Don't be afraid to try new strategies with new Pokémon.
  • If you feel a Pokémon is broken, prove it by using it a lot to win.
  • Don't forget to use the Pokémon that used to be UU, as well as NFEs!

Please, Break Pokemon! I love it when you all do that!

UU PROCESS said:
As testing for a new UU tier begins, the current BL tier will be merged with lower ones, in an attempt to create a less arbitrary and smaller BL 'tier', essentially a ban list (like Ubers). It is best to familiarize yourselves with the process early.

During the initial stage of this test, which will span 2.5 months, a tier consisting of BL and lower tiers will be played out and stabilized. 1.5 months into this process, after the game has stabilized to an acceptable level, a thread will be opened in which you will be allowed to nominate sets of Pokemon to be voted on, with thoughtful reasons, of course. As with the previous bold votes, if you do not have sound reasoning, your vote most likely will not be counted. At that time, ratings on the Suspect Ladder for this test will be reset. The reason for this is to allow a fairer judgment of whether someone has actually played the game, since a newborn metagame evolves significantly in a short time period, and people who rely on early ratings are easily misled. That leaves 1 month to acquire qualifications necessary for voting on Pokemon nominated frequently enough to be judged suspects at the end of the testing period, 1655 rating and 65 deviation.

The following is a basic timeline of the UU testing process:
Initial Test: Months 0 - 2.5
Nominating Suspects: Month 1.5
Rating Reset: Month 1.5
Voting: Month 2.5
Start over timeline with BL Pokemon removed: Month 3

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wanna retest Froslass ;_; Oh well, even if it wasn't broken it was annoying as all hell.

With Crobat and now Yanmega around, I think complaints about Shaymin will go down. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't ban anything this round at all, though all eyes should be on Yanmega to see what it does. I never rally bought the argument against Crobat, and Shaymin is the "obvious" next Suspect (though I don't know / think it's broken so whatever)

(brb looking for suicide lead)

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Crobat should go a long way towards checking Shaymin, and might even help with Yanmega as well (x4 resist to Bug, negating Tinted Lens, and of course 130 base Speed and a super-effective move). We'll have to see.

I wouldn't be surprised either if nothing gets banned, UU has ended up being a much more stable tier (at least with the suspects banned) than anyone could have guessed.

EDIT: 20-0 in favor of Crobat remaining in UU, who honestly didn't see that coming?

I wonder how Yanmega will be updated to fit with the UU metagame? :)

I also wonder how much of a drop in usage there will be in Yanmega next month in the Standard ladder, which probably won't be much.

and Shaymin is the "obvious" next Suspect
But we couldn't have hoped for two better checks to be (re)introduced to UU in all fairness....

EDIT: I'm also not surprised that everything except Crobat ended up banned, on the evidence of past discussions. I can't help but feel that the process has come up with some arbitrary results though. For instance, if Shaymin had become a suspect this time round, I'd have expected that people would rally together to ban it. As it stands though, attention may well be drawn away from it come the next round of testing.

Looking forward to it nonetheless.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In every suspect match you play I guarantee you'll see at least one of these pokemon now that Yanmega and Crobat are UU:

Registeel
Clefable
Steelix
Regirock
Chansey

It will be interesting to see who exactly is the next suspect in the UU tier. My team still looks like it'll remain fairly well.

I'm surprised that Froslass didn't make it as well, especially as Abomasnow was going to BL. Well the vote was close so maybe next time.

As for the next test I don't see much change unless a new moveset is discovered or Snover becomes popular.

EDIT: 20-0 in favor of Crobat remaining in UU, who honestly didn't see that coming?
I was expecting something more like 19-1, but 20-0 is definitely better.

Also, for those of us who were rejected, weren't we supposed to get a PM telling us why? I, for one, would like to know what was apparently so unsatisfactory about my paragraphs.

Also, for those of us who were rejected, weren't we supposed to get a PM telling us why? I, for one, would like to know what was apparently so unsatisfactory about my paragraphs.
So you weren't given any explanation whatsoever? I don't know as I was accepted, but I'm with you on this one. If they didn't like your paragraphs, and they want to encourage as many people as possible to participate in Suspect voting, then they should definitely give you some constructive criticism to help you improve and become a more responsible voter for future tests.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So you weren't given any explanation whatsoever? I don't know as I was accepted, but I'm with you on this one. If they didn't like your paragraphs, and they want to encourage as many people as possible to participate in Suspect voting, then they should definitely give you some constructive criticism to help you improve and become a more responsible voter for future tests.
I did some of them already, it takes me longer than 5 minutes to respond unless people want me to give a half-assed "it was bad" and then hit send. Be patient for a day or two.

Edit: If you don't have yours by Wednesday, PM me your response again and I'll respond to it. I likely just forgot about yours if I don't get back to you by Wednesday.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was probably the one expected BL vote for Crobat, but after thorough thinking, I decided it would be ok to test it for a while in UU... although I am still placing it on heavy watch.

Elaborating on what franky said, I think the introduction of Yanmega will fuel a rise in Stall Teams. Speed Boost with high power moves (as well as a possible Hypnosis) will be a big problem for offensive teams. However, things like Registeel and Chansey, already staples on stall teams, will be able to handle Yanmega nicely.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
TBH I think Froslass was so close that it may deserve to be re-tested, but oh well. I can't wait to see how this new UU metagame works out. I'll get to work on a new team later today and you can expect to see me on the UU ladder frequently in these next few months.

Elaborating on what franky said, I think the introduction of Yanmega will fuel a rise in Stall Teams. Speed Boost with high power moves (as well as a possible Hypnosis) will be a big problem for offensive teams. However, things like Registeel and Chansey, already staples on stall teams, will be able to handle Yanmega nicely.
I'm personally more concerned about a Specs Tinted Lens set. The general mark for speed tiering in UU is lower than OU, and with Registeel and such being popular Tinted Lens would be great for causing a lot of damage to almost anything that switches in. Crobat is pretty much the only thing that comes to mind that can take almost anything Tinted Lens Yanmega can dish out well. That's not to say that the Speed Booster doesn't have a lot of potential either.

I'm personally more concerned about a Specs Tinted Lens set. The general mark for speed tiering in UU is lower than OU, and with Registeel and such being popular Tinted Lens would be great for causing a lot of damage to almost anything that switches in. Crobat is pretty much the only thing that comes to mind that can take almost anything Tinted Lens Yanmega can dish out well. That's not to say that the Speed Booster doesn't have a lot of potential either.
True, but just about every team has a good priority user or something faster than the 95 base speed mark. Shaymin, Mismagius, Ambipom, Swellow, Crobat, and Azumarill are the ones that come most quickly to mind. And even with Tinted Lens, the large Sdef of Registeel, Chansey, and Regice should still be able to handle Yanmega. Moltres, Blaziken, Toxicroak, and Drifblim also possess double resists to bug, though they may not be entirely reliable Yanmega switch-ins.

True, but just about every team has a good priority user or something faster than the 95 base speed mark. Shaymin, Mismagius, Ambipom, Swellow, Crobat, and Azumarill are the ones that come most quickly to mind. And even with Tinted Lens, the large Sdef of Registeel, Chansey, and Regice should still be able to handle Yanmega. Moltres, Blaziken, Toxicroak, and Drifblim also possess double resists to bug, though they may not be entirely reliable Yanmega switch-ins.
There are things that are faster, but since it's a choice user not necessarily hoping for a clean sweep it's simple to switch out. I'd assume someone running a Choiced Pokemon with SR weak (especially double) would run Rapid Spin to alleviate that. Blaziken and Toxicroak can't switch in unless it's choice locked because of Air Slash, and Drifblim needs to watch for that and HP Ice, along with it's SR weak.

From a pure theorymon perspective, I can’t see Specs Tinted Lens being all that useful over Speed Boost for Yanmega. The reason being that it is too slow without the boosts and will end up being revenge-killed or checked too easily (Electrode especially), and the crippling SR weakness will put enormous pressure on the spinner to give Yanmega more than one or two bites at the cherry. Then there’s the fact that Registeel / Chansey etc still deal with it comfortably regardless.

This is just theorymon though on my part. I may well turn out to be wrong.

EDIT: pretty much what Petrie said.

and Drifblim needs to watch for that and HP Ice, along with it's SR weak.
Let's not apply double standards in theorymon. It doesn't really achieve anything.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Removing Chansey and Hippopotas from UU due to sheer walling potential and Sandstream, respectively, would destroy their use completely, as they are outclassed by their evolved forms.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You shouldn't underestimate Yanmega's physical defenses though. 86/86 is pretty good for a sweeper, and is actually superior to Crobat's 85/80. Note that Yanmega does have access to Roost, and after a single turn of Speed Boost will be faster than Crobat. Yanmega doesn't have to go all out SpA and Spe either - 152 EVs and a neutral nature mean that it will outspeed base 130s after a Speed Boost, which gives you 104 EVs to play around with assuming you put max SpA. Even in OU, Yanmega survives against 2 LO ExtremeSpeeds from Lucario. Yanmega has a pretty good typing for going up against priority attacks in UU, with 4x resistances to Blaziken's Vacuum Wave and Hitmontop's Mach Punch. An Adamant Choice Band Azumarill's Aqua Jet will never OHKO a 104/0 Yanmega even after SR (47.2% max), meaning it's not really as physically frail as some people make it out to be. Pity about that 56 SpD though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)