Malamar has risen to one of the most proeminent setup sweeper in the ZeroUsed metagame with its Contrary Superpower RestTalk set. Due to Bug-types move becoming rarer with Eldegoss rising and VoltTurn getting worse due to Basculin, Wishiwashi, Cinccino, and Perrserker leaving the tier, Malamar has got harder to force out and gets more setup opportunities.
Malamar's natural bulk paired with Defense boosts from Superpower and RestTalk to remove status allows it to use most defensive staples like Rhydon, Altaria, and Tangela as setup fodder. Most physical wallbreakers like Swords Dance Qwilfish, Klinklang, and Rapidash cannot defeat a Superpower boosted Malamar, while the most common special wallbreakers such as Jynx, Exeggutor, and Rotom that can target Malamar's unboosted Special Defense are heavily weakened if not outright OHKO by Knock Off, likewise Trick users can't switch-in in fear of fainting or losing their Choice items in order to lock Malamar. Denying Superpower boosts with a faster Ghost-type like Rotom and Gourgeist-Small is also quite risky as STAB Knock Off deals massive damage to them. Outside the rare Fairy-types, Malamar hits the whole metagame for at least neutral damage and it can even defeat some of them; Clefairy straight up loses as Moonblast fails to 4HKO Malamar and Galarian Rapidash can't safely switch-in the combination of Superpower into Knock Off.
Malamar has some sturdy answers, however. Alcremie is one of the best Pokemon in the tier and easily counters Malamar. Defensive teams in general have a lot of nicher options to deal with Malamar such as Golbat, Spiritomb, and Pyukumuku. While more offensive teams have numerous common checks like Swords Dance Silvally-Poison, Accelgor, and Thwackey able to revenge kill a weakened Malamar and offensively pressure it. These offensive teams can also adapt to it with uncommun sets like Worry Seed Tangela and Megahorn Rhydon that can deal with Malamar.
- ***THIS IS NEW TO GEN 8 SUSPECTS*** Reading this is mandatory for participating in the suspect test. The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 77 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 77 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 81. Also, needing more than 50 games to reach 77 GXE will suffice.
- You must signup with a newly registered account on Pokemon Showdown! that begins with the appropriate prefix for the suspect test. For this suspect test, the prefix will be ZUSQ. For example, I might signup with the ladder account ZUSQ Tuthur.
- Laddering with an account that impersonates, mocks, or insults another Smogon user or breaks Pokemon Showdown! rules may be disqualified from voting and infracted. Moderator discretion will be applied here. If there is any doubt or hesitance when making the alt, just pick another name. There are infinite possibilities and we have had trouble for this repeatedly. If you wish to participate in the suspect, you should be able to exhibit decent enough judgement here. We will not be lenient.
- The aspect being tested, Malamar, will be allowed on the ladder.
- Any form of voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will be handled and sanctioned.
- Do not attempt to cheat the ladder. We will know if you did not actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied.
- Unlike previous tests, we will be posting the voting identification thread immediately after this thread. Please avoid getting more games before getting confirmed.
- The suspect test will go on for about 11 days, lasting until June 17th at 10:00 PM GMT +2, and then we will put up the voting thread in the Blind Voting subforum.
This thread will be open to allow all users to share their thoughts on this suspect test and discuss with one another their thoughts. Should you have any questions about the suspect test, feel free to message me or anyone else on the ZU council. Keep in mind that our suspect tests are decided by the community; anyone who achieves voting requisites is allowed to vote. The outcome is up to you. Happy posting and laddering!
Avoid posting one-liners or posts that do not contribute to any discussion. They will be deleted.