Metagame NP: ZU Stage 6 - Centiskorch Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Written by 5gen

:ss/centiskorch:

After months of quick bans and council bans, ZU is ready to move into suspect tests to address problematic elements of the metagame. The ZU council deliberated and voted internally whether Centiskorch should be quick/council banned or have a suspect test. Reasoning for a quick/council ban on Centiskorch mainly revolved around how unhealthy Centiskorch is, that the recent tier shifts were drastic enough to justify another quick ban, and that council believes it is banworthy. Conversely, reasoning for a suspect included how it would be an overreach by council to quick ban Centiskorch and bypass a community vote, how a quick ban here would lower the bar for future bans and suspect tests, and arguing that the meta did not change enough to justify a quick ban vote.

Centiskorch has been a fearsome wallbreaker for the months that it has been in ZU. Thanks to Fire Lash and great coverage options coupled with base 115 Attack, very few Pokemon can reliably switch into Centiskorch. Without Garbodor around, only Qwilfish can reliably switch into Centiskorch. Soft checks such as Altaria, Cramorant, Miltank, and Rapidash are susceptible to Knock Off and/or coverage options and are easy to wear down or beat as a result. One of the central aspects of what makes Centiskorch so unhealthy is its ability to break down teams and checks for its teammates. This makes building notably difficult because teams are often forced to run Qwilfish and/or Altaria or multiple soft checks. It also makes it quite easy to fold to pressure and adequately formulate a game plan because of how well Centiskorch breaks down teams and forces certain plays. In addition, because Centiskorch has great special bulk and Flash Fire, it can often switch into or 1v1 Pokemon such as Alcremie, Frosmoth, Ninetales, etc. Centiskorch's typing also makes it a situational check to Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Sawk, Thwackey, and Klinklang. It also pressures slower Pokemon and walls such as Ferroseed, Clefairy, Audino, Tangela, Perrserker, and so on quite well. All these scenarios mean that Centiskorch has plenty of opportunities to come in and also pressures numerous Pokemon 1v1. These examples help show how unhealthy and difficult it can be to prepare for and play against Centiskorch. Finally, Centiskorch fits on all sorts of teams from offensive to balance. This means Centiskorch has a large cast of Pokemon it can support and vice versa, which contributes to how difficult building can be in this metagame.

On the flipside, Centiskorch has key flaws that (arguably) prevent it from being a broken force in the metagame. These flaws include Centiskorch's susceptibility to item removal and relatively low Speed. Knock Off is an incredibly common move in ZU and is one of the primary ways to play around Centiskorch because without Heavy-Duty Boots, it loses half its healthy to Stealth Rock and is worn down by other entry hazards. For example, Centiskorch can pivot into or 1v1 Pokemon such as Tangela, Clefairy, Ferroseed, Uxie, Thwackey, and so on but risks losing its Heavy-Duty Boots in the process. Another flaw Centiskorch has is its relatively low Speed which leaves it vulnerable to faster Pokemon such as Basculin, Rotom-S, and Choice Specs Poliwrath. Other Pokemon such as Silvally-Ground, Cincinno, Sawk, and Articuno usually pack coverage for Centiskorch and can revenge kill it or force it out. While Centiskorch lacks reliable defensive counterplay aside from Qwilfish, there are numerous soft checks and offensive Pokemon teams can use (i.e Altaria, Rapidash, Rocky Helmet Miltank, Cramorant, Coalossal, Wishiwashi, aforementioned offensive threats) to prepare for Centiskorch. And although Centiskorch has many favourable matchups and Leech Life to keep itself somewhat healthy, it is prone to being worn down and weak to Toxic. As such, teams can focus on chipping away at Centiskorch, trying to remove its Heavy-Duty Boots, and pressuring it with faster Pokemon.

• ***THIS IS NEW TO GEN 8 SUSPECTS*** Reading this is mandatory for participating in the suspect test. The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 77 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 77 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 81. Also, needing more than 50 games to reach 77 GXE will suffice.
GXEminimum games
77​
50​
77.2​
49​
77.4​
48​
77.6​
47​
77.8​
46​
78​
45​
78.2​
44​
78.4​
43​
78.6​
42​
78.8​
41​
79​
40​
79.2​
39​
79.4​
38​
79.6​
37​
79.8​
36​
80​
35​
80.2​
34​
80.4​
33​
80.6​
32​
80.8​
31​
81​
30​

• You must signup with a newly registered account on Pokemon Showdown! that begins with the appropriate prefix for the suspect test. For this suspect test, the prefix will be ZUCS (ZU Centiskorch Suspect). For example, I might signup with the ladder account ZUCS gen.
  • Laddering with an account that impersonates, mocks, or insults another Smogon user or breaks Pokemon Showdown! rules may be disqualified from voting and infracted. Moderator discretion will be applied here. If there is any doubt or hesitance when making the alt, just pick another name. There are infinite possibilities and we have had trouble for this repeatedly. If you wish to participate in the suspect, you should be able to exhibit decent enough judgement here. We will not be lenient.
  • The aspect being tested, Centiskorch, will be allowed on the ladder.
  • Any form of voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will be handled and sanctioned.
  • Do not attempt to cheat the ladder. We will know if you did not actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied.
  • Unlike previous tests, we will be posting the voting identification thread immediately after this thread. Please avoid getting more games before getting confirmed.
  • The suspect test will go on for ten days, lasting until Monday July 19th at 2:00 PM GMT -4, and then we will put up the voting thread in the Blind Voting subforum.
This thread will be open to allow all users to share their thoughts on this suspect test and discuss with one another their thoughts. Should you have any questions about the suspect test, feel free to message me or anyone else on the ZU council. Keep in mind that our suspect tests are decided by the community; anyone who achieves voting requisites is allowed to vote. The outcome is up to you. Happy posting and laddering!

I was about to finish the post regarding this and stuff and I was going to share thoughts of why even tho centi doesn't deserve qb, it should be quick banned but oh well guess another post will never be completed ;_;.
Well, nevertheless atleast low ladder won't be full of memes for a while so time to get skorch banned.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
50centiskorch is a great joke.
Thank you for appreciating my pun! However, I have bad news. I was outvoted and they decided Heat would be the song for the OP. As a fellow 50 Cent connoisseur, I'm sure that you'll agree that Disco Inferno was the patrician song of choice. Unfortunately, the other council members were not up to snuff. This injustice shall not be forgotten nor taken lightly. Disco Inferno deserves better. 50 in the house, bounce...

I made reqs this morning and will be voting ban. The biggest concern to me, more than the fact that theres only like 4ish consistent counters to Centi, is the absolute power of Centi + hazards. Knock Off, Spikes, and Stealth Rock obliterates all of Centi's counters. It's such a simple yet effective strat, and it's probably due to teams doubling down with their Defogger also being the Centi check (See: Altaria, Cramorant). Alolan Sandslash was a great addition for heavy hazard offense because it too makes it very hard for foggers to get in. These two elements pressure teams so well that cleaners like Thwackey, Cinccino, Flame Charge Silvally formes, and scarfers are also super good at the moment. So besides the fact that Centi teams are at a natural advantage against Centi checks, I think it is also the playstyles that Centi fits on are to blame for its toxicity.

:sandslash-alola: :qwilfish: :centiskorch: :gourgeist: :rotom-fan: :silvally:(Ground)

Here's the team if anyone's interested. It lacks a Ghost check so play aggressively or use Sandslash for Rotom and Qwilfish for physical Gourgeist. The Gourgeist-S on this team though is Sub NP, which feels super antimeta, offers a ton of setup oppertunities vs Qwil / SilvGround / Tangela, sweeps great with Centi + hazard support. SilvGround + Rotom-S are just a VoltTurn staple and I went scarf with the latter because the team needed a revenge killer. If you want to improve the Ghost matchup then maybe in this situation Choice Scarf Unefezant could work; Super Luck Night Slash and outspeeding Rotom is cool.

Last edited:
This may be the wrong place to post this, but I wanted to share this visualization I made that plots June usage vs. viability ranking. I didn't mark it up too much because I want people to be able to use it to make their own inferences about Pokemon and the metagame at large. The data behind it is pretty basic, but hopefully it will help drive some discussion.

For example, you might notice that there are a lot of Grass-types below 'the line' here. This could be interpreted a lot of different ways. Is it because there's a lot of competition among them? Do certain metagame dynamics (e.g. Centiskorch; U-turn coverage from Silvally-Ground, Thwackey, and Wishiwashi; Flying-type hazard removers) make life really hard for them? Is Tangela just too good to waste a Grass-type slot on anything else? Or is it something else?

This plot was made programmatically, so I can easily update it whenever viability rankings are updated, shifts occur, and/or new stats come out. If you have any constructive feedback on the plot itself, don't hesitate to reach out. Hope y'all like it and find it more useful than just staring at a wall of text.
1625937631108.png

Edit: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d gave me the idea to include the high ladder version, so here it is.
1625940161255.png

Last edited:

Danny

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
ZU Circuit Champion
Haven’t laddered nor will I ladder for 50cent reqs. I don’t see a need, nor do I have the time as I’m prepping for tournaments, trying to keep a semblance of social life, etc. That being said, I’d like to share my thoughts and some replays that will hopefully shed some light and help guide the people who are testing to what I believe to be the right decision.

If I did make a run for reqs my vote would be a definitive: BAN

I have a few reasons for this belief, mostly based in my experience in using Centiskorch extensively before and after the recent shifts. I have been an advocate for a bug suspect test for about as long as I have been a member of this community, and seeing as we just gained one of the best frosmoth checks in the game(AloSlash), the biggest threat to stability in the tier is Centiskorch through and through. Going to list a few reasons as to why Centiskorch is too potent of a breaker in this tier, and why I believe it has to go.

:centiskorch:
The first reason for why I believe it is busted is it’s lack of checks in the tier. There are currently two viable Pokémon capable of withstanding Centiskorch’s attacks over the course of a game. Altaria and Qwilfish. Within these two, one of them is SR weak and the other has a longevity issue.

:Altaria:
Alt is a common and splashable Pokémon capable of somewhat withstanding Centiskorch’s attacks. It comes in on the Fire/Grass/Bug attack of choice and can scare it out with Hurricane or Toxic. Or so it seems. In reality, Altaria has to contend with the fact that it’s Hurricane does maximum 67.4 %, falling short of the KO, and allowing Centiskorch to weaken the Altaria further. Altaria is also susceptible to Knock Off, making it a less reliable check to Centiskorch as it will be forced to come in on SR. A very common exchange I partake in when using Centiskorch, is Knock, maintain rocks during the game, and force the Altaria to come in on a Fire Lash. This makes it’s defense lowered, and either forces a roost(making it take immense damage from Leech Life, or guaranteeing it comes in at around 50% next time it wants to check my Skorch. Another less used way for Skorch to bypass Altaria all together is using Jolly Skorch. Albeit weaker, it now outspeeds and can hit the Altaria with a Fire Lash on switch in, into an essentially +1 Knock Off. If the Altaria player clicks the wrong move, the check is essentially gone for the majority of the game.

:qwilfish:
Probably the safest Centiskorch answer at the moment, Qwil is capable of mitigating the Fire Lash defense drop with its own Intimidate, and actually threatening a KO on Skorch with Liquidation. Albeit very good at the moment, Qwilfish struggles with Longevity due to its only form of recovery being Pain Split. Also once it loses its Rocky Helmet or Black Sludge, it’s form of gaining chip on Skorch/Passive recovery is gone, making it much more susceptible to repeated onslaughts. All this not to mention that Qwil has its own flaws, it’s not a reliable fighting resist as many Sawk users are running Inner Focus for Kangaskhan, removing the advantage of Intimidate entirely. It also struggles with allowing many teammates of Centiskorch to enter freely, such as Specs Poliwrath or rotom formes.

:cramorant: :wishiwashi: :coalossal: :miltank:
All of these are one time checks which with the right prediction from the Centi player, are immediately either beaten outright(Cram/wishi) or easily overwhelmed with SR, other hazards, and defense drops. Have a replay of my Centiskorch taking advantage of a Cramorant team brought by Landon in the Seasonal Losers Quarterfinals.

Overall a pretty unhealthy mon which has one reliable(more or less) check in the tier and that’s not good for a meta game at all. Looking forward to seeing more NP posts, hopefully some in defense of Skorch, would like to see some on the other side.

I am not play to much in this meta, but i see mostly a common opinion in the "unhealtiness" (if this word exist) of Centi in this meta after Garb and friends was stollen by higher tier.
My question is most to the council: Why didn't quickban Centi if most of the comunitty was called for a ban? Isn't better to ask to the comunnity if a Quick Ban is better in this case?
I don't think i need to say this but i am 100% in the BAN train...

I am not play to much in this meta, but i see mostly a common opinion in the "unhealtiness" (if this word exist) of Centi in this meta after Garb and friends was stollen by higher tier.
My question is most to the council: Why didn't quickban Centi if most of the comunitty was called for a ban? Isn't better to ask to the comunnity if a Quick Ban is better in this case?
I don't think i need to say this but i am 100% in the BAN train...
Hey so great question. So this generation has really normalized the use of quick bans because of DLC shifts making them an absolute need in a lot of cases. But in the case of Centiskorch, while we were split 3/3 on quick ban vs suspect, the tie ultimately made us decide on suspect. In the case of why I voted suspect, it was because I didn't feel as tho skorch was broken enough to warrant a quick ban even if we were all confident it would go. The community should have a say in non emergency bans and I didn't feel this was an emergency situation.

I was going to add in my thoughts on the suspect in the post above but I forgot. Rather than edit a giant post into the above it would be better to a stand alone post about my thoughts on the ongoing suspect so enjoy the double post.

1626405167609.png

So lets talk about the monster in the room; Centiskorch. Its been without a doubt the mon that has warped the meta the most in the past 2 months being able to break apart every would-be counter that people were running outside Qwilfish with more optimized building and planning. I've talked extensively about the why's here so I'll just link that here to not repeat old points and go more in depth with the new things we've seen happening.

So the first is Jolly Centiskorch. People figured out if teams are creeping Adamant Skorch, why not just switch to Jolly and get the jump on all of them? This helps a ton against a lot of things like Cramorant and Qwilfish but the highlight is you're able to break apart Altaria without double defog as we've seen from games like these where you lose 1 50/50 turn and your Skorch answer is basically dead.

The second is that has left the tier in a state of "Run Qwilfish or run Altaria with double removal" or you run the risk of just auto losing against good Skorch players because utility Rapidash only has 8pp to work with and has to recovery every time so it gets extremely out pressured, Cram isn't even an answer anymore, Altaria on its own gets broken, and Garbodor left. The only real options we have left are Qwil, Altaria with double Defog, or really random pokemon like Rock Slide Miltank.

And there's something I want to emphasize. It takes a good Skorch player to abuse these things. I think at a casual laddering level we don't see players who are able to really abuse Skorch to this broken level which lets off the air of it just being fine. But once you get into higher levels of competitive play it absolutely destroys the tier if the Skorch player is able to maintain rocks, and we just don't have the removal needed to be able to defog in the face of some of these rockers like Rhydon or Slash-a and consistently play with rocks off which is a major hallmark of the tier that Skorch is abusing. Its not a brain dead click buttons pokemon, but its something that when built and played well will absolutely destroy almost everything outside very specific team set ups which has limited the tier overall to a point of being extremely unhealthy.

I'm absolutely pro ban.

Wanted to share a set that I've been having fun with on the ladder recently. People are starting to experiment with Sawk a little bit more and while the Choice Band sets hit really hard and have their place, I've found a bluffed Choice set with Expert Belt to be a pretty functional breaker. Catching stuff like Qwilfish and Altaria off guard is pretty nice and it can cause problems for stall compositions. You can also run Poison Jab in the fourth moveslot to punish Alcremie and Shiinotic.

Here's the paste if anybody wants it: :sawk:

On a somewhat related note, I've been loving Inner Focus for better matchups against Kangaskhan and Qwilfish and I'd like to know what other's thoughts are on the Inner Focus vs. Mold Breaker decision.

I'd like to know what other's thoughts are on the Inner Focus vs. Mold Breaker decision.
Its kinda tough choosing one because of their merits yeah. I think mold breaker is overall more spammable if not better. That is because equake becomes more free. Inner focus on the other hand I think works well and consistent only with innovative approach like future sight volt turn of ho3n or this bluff set of yours.
Cool set btw.

:ss/silvally-ground:

So the meta has had enough time to sit to accurately assess its place in the meta, and enough people have been vocal about wanting this suspect tested so I figured I'd get the ball rolling on that. But my take on it is a little unique but I'm ultimately in the pro-suspect test camp which I'll hopefully explain why in this post.

So right away I think Vally-Ground is entirely manageable in the tier. We have plenty of defensive answers to it such as Geists, Tangela, Eldegoss, and plenty of Wisp variants of Rotom which help a lot with dealing with it. And we even softer checks like Persian-a, physdef Wishi, and even scarf non wisp Rotom. While they wont do the trick long term, they can help supplement your teams against it which can go a long ways in helping.

So even if we have answers why do I think it needs to be suspected? That reason ultimately comes down to bulky grasses being the only consistent answers to Vally-ground outside some wisp Rotom variants which can easily be played around which leads teams into a very restrictive "grass tax" with the previously listed grass types that you have to use on almost every team. And while I didn't think this was the end of the world, the fact that Ice Beam Vally-Ground sets are making waves means that even if you do pay that grass tax, you're not totally safe from Vally-Ground.
And while I do think the Ice Beam sets are better on paper than in practice, just the fact they exist is an ever present concern that you have to play around to scout and generally just hope they're the set you're prepping for. Eldegoss has been an amazing adaption to this but its more of a band-aid fix than something I think should be classed as real meaningful counter play. And unlike Centiskorch where you could target its low speed and prep less against it on more offensive teams, Vally-Ground boasts the huge 95 speed tier which either ties or keeps it above a most mons in the tier which forces you into playing balance to fit on the grass types that work best on balance, or commit to Wisp scarf Rotom and trick scarf/band geist with synth on every offensive team.

While I think it's not as unhealthy as Centiskorch was, I definitely think this is the biggest concern with the tier right now and while I don't know if I'm pro-ban or not, I'm at least certain a suspect is definitely called for.

:ss/alcremie:
I'd like to propose Alcremie for Stage 7. I'll keep this pretty short as I'm sure most people know what Alcremie does. Double Dance is super dangerous after just one turn. With Centiskorch and Garbodor gone, this (admittedly cute) monster is now even harder to stop. Once it comes in, if you're not capable of killing it in one hit, you're pretty much done. Not even statusing the set works, as it runs Rest. While DD only runs Stored Power for attacking, meaning Dark-types wall it, it's not the only set that Alcremie can run. All three sets on the analysis can run Calm Mind, so it can be really hard to predict what set it's running until it's too late. Also, the sets that don't run Stored Power all run Dazzling Gleam, which nukes Dark-types, and usually run Mystical Fire, which nukes Steel-types. It can also run Aromatherapy to heal its teammates and itself, which screws over Defensive teams badly, as they primarily rely on status to take care of opponents. Snowslash arriving is nice, but even that's not a consistent counter. I just feel like Alcremie gets way too out of control way too fast. Thus, I feel like Alcremie deserves to be suspected.

Last edited:
I'd like to propose that Alcremie be Stage 7. I'll keep this pretty short as I'm sure most people know what Alcremie does. Double Dance is super dangerous after just one turn. With Centiskorch and Garbodor gone, this (admittedly cute) monster is now even harder to stop. Once it comes in, if you're not capable of killing it in one hit, you're pretty much done. Not even statusing the set works, as it runs Rest. While DD only runs Stored Power for attacking, meaning Dark-types wall it, it's not the only set that Alcremie can run. All three sets on the analysis can run Calm Mind, so it can be really hard to predict what set it's running until it's too late. Also, the sets that don't run Stored Power all run Dazzling Gleam, which nukes Dark-types, and usually run Mystical Fire, which nukes Steel-types. It can also run Aromatherapy to heal its teammates, which screws over Defensive teams badly, as they primarily rely on status to take care of opponents. Snowslash arriving is nice, but even that's not a consistent counter. I just feel like Alcremie gets way too out of control way too fast. Thus, I feel like Alcremie deserves to be suspected.
I always feel Alcremie was difficult to check because you dont see it very often but most of the time feels like this mon beat 6-0 most of the team i play because of this. The lost of :Garbodor: and the recently ban of :Centiskorch: (ty everyone) make harder to prepare because the most common steel type Alolash always is a Mystical Fire away from dying.
The most hate set for me is double dance, the tier doenst have many dark types and Alcremie can outstall most of this. Plus this set punish things like the most common speed control of the tier Choice Scarf :Sawk: to not using his STAB CC and being free to setup if he use to revenge kill some of Alcremie's teammates.
Pls Ban....

Hello hello cute ZUers, I have returned to posting in the np thread after a short break of lets see **checks logs** (last post Feb 26, 2021) 5 months… oops. Anyways I have come here in order to defend Groundvally as there were alot of complaints of there being no defence on the forums for centiskorch (Rip btw) and also give my opinion on Alcremie.

So to start off with I'm actually going to talk about what I'm gunna dub the big 4 tier changes in Garbodor and Centiskorch leaving and sandslash-a and Arctovish arriving. So the reason I'm talking about these tier chages is because I believe that all 4 of these changes have made Groundvally worse in some way or another. Firstly although weak to Ground, Garbodor with a rocky helmet and aftermath could be used as an emergency check to Groundvally dealing over 40% just by sacking it as well and punishing the grass types that check Groundvally. Next up the Centiskorch ban completely freed up teambuilding in general but more importantly changes the dynamic of water types in ZU. Before Qwillfish was the premier defensive water type but now that mantle has been passed to Wishiwashi and Jellicent. This completely shakes up the meta as a mon that looses to groundvally has been replaced by two that check it. Sandslash-a also contributes to this Water type changeup as its runs spd set itself justifying Jellicent and Wishiwashi to be physically defensive whilst its cb set also is also checked by these two waters. Artovish is in the same boat and with freeze dry not 2hitkoing after minimal spd. On the other hand Alcremie is now the biggest concern in the tier. As JdRDMS and Pabloaram explained above the departure of two of Alcremies most splashable checks in Centiskorch and Garbodor has really let this monster loose. With checks being limited to boosting alongside Alcremie, tricking it and steel types all of which are far less consistant than groundvally’s checks as if you Mystical Fire on switch in the steels can no longer switch in. To combat this scouting is the best option but the scary thing about not going hard into your Alcremie answer is Alcremie only need 1 free turn to just win. Thereby by giving it a free to to acid armour your Alremie check such as posionvally or Klinklang actually looses the setup war to stored power. Im not gunna go on much longer about Alcremie but the fact that it has multiple viable sets that are all equally viable and each set requires different mons to check it is very hard to deal with consistantly. I wouldn't suspect either of those mons though and I think another suspect is ill timed so soon after centi and with zupl signups next week. If i had to do something I would actually Quick ban Alcremie

So back to Groundvally now im just gunna list all of what I believe to be the best checks and to add some colour :)

Defensive Checks: :tangela: :Eldegoss: :Shiinotic: :Gourgeist: :wishiwashi: :jellicent: :Rotom: :Persian-alola: :uxie:

Offensive Checks: :Thwackey::Gourgeist: :basculin: :rotom: :persian-alola: :Cinccino:

252 Atk Silvally-Ground U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 56-66 (16.7 - 19.7%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ground U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangela: 82-98 (24.5 - 29.3%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ground U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 108-128 (32.3 - 38.3%) -- 97.2% chance to 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ground U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangela: 162-192 (48.5 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
0- SpA Silvally-Ground Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 150-178 (44.9 - 53.2%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO
0- SpA Silvally-Ground Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tangela: 226-266 (67.6 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ground U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eldegoss: 96-114 (29.6 - 35.1%) -- 16.6% chance to 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ground U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eldegoss: 192-226 (59.2 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- SpA Silvally-Ground Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eldegoss: 78-94 (24 - 29%) -- 99% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ground U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shiinotic: 51-61 (15.7 - 18.8%) -- possible 6HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ground U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shiinotic: 102-121 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- 86% chance to 3HKO
0- SpA Silvally-Ground Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Shiinotic: 112-132 (34.5 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ground U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gourgeist-Small: 52-62 (20.7 - 24.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
0- SpA Silvally-Ground Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Small: 142-168 (56.5 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ground Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Wishiwashi-School: 94-112 (31.9 - 38%) -- 1.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ground Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Wishiwashi-School: 189-223 (64.2 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Silvally-Ground Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Jellicent: 151-178 (37.3 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ground Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Jellicent: 300-354 (74.2 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ground Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom: 82-97 (34 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ground Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 120-142 (35.9 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ground Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 238-282 (71.2 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ground U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 94-112 (28.1 - 33.5%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ground U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 76-90 (21.4 - 25.4%) -- 0.2% chance to 4HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ground U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 148-176 (41.8 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So right away I think Vally-Ground is entirely manageable in the tier. We have plenty of defensive answers to it such as Geists, Tangela, Eldegoss, and plenty of Wisp variants of Rotom which help a lot with dealing with it. And we even softer checks like Persian-a, physdef Wishi, and even scarf non wisp Rotom. While they wont do the trick long term, they can help supplement your teams against it which can go a long ways in helping.

So even if we have answers why do I think it needs to be suspected? That reason ultimately comes down to bulky grasses being the only consistent answers to Vally-ground outside some wisp Rotom variants which can easily be played around which leads teams into a very restrictive "grass tax" with the previously listed grass types that you have to use on almost every team. And while I didn't think this was the end of the world, the fact that Ice Beam Vally-Ground sets are making waves means that even if you do pay that grass tax, you're not totally safe from Vally-Ground.
And while I do think the Ice Beam sets are better on paper than in practice, just the fact they exist is an ever present concern that you have to play around to scout and generally just hope they're the set you're prepping for. Eldegoss has been an amazing adaption to this but its more of a band-aid fix than something I think should be classed as real meaningful counter play. And unlike Centiskorch where you could target its low speed and prep less against it on more offensive teams, Vally-Ground boasts the huge 95 speed tier which either ties or keeps it above a most mons in the tier which forces you into playing balance to fit on the grass types that work best on balance, or commit to Wisp scarf Rotom and trick scarf/band geist with synth on every offensive team.
Ok so I Completely agree with Kay’s first paragraph here that Groundvally is completely managable and we have sufficently counterplay both offensively and defensively. Also I didn’t add mons like scarf sawk or priority users such as Piloswine, Qwilfish and Kangaskhan as offensive checks but they help aswell at keeping it in check. So now onto the 2nd para I don’t think lack of consistent answers applies here like it did with centi. The thing with centi was that it used knock off to help cripple its checks over time as most of them were weak to rocks too. Also as Centi ran boots it allowed it to seemly switch in an infinite amount of times whereas groundvally cannot run boots so it’s susceptible to chip from hazard each time it is forced out. Also not only does Groundvally have more checks, I would argue they that are more consistant answers too as the majority of them have reliable recovery and or regen. Now onto ice beam vally I agree with kay here, its much better on paper than practise and to me is kinda matchup fishing as your basically going all in on them bringing tangela and if they dont bring tanglea your stuck with a worse Groundvally set.

So Overall Groundvally is not broken or unhealthy and has sufficent counterplay hmmm. I wonder how tuthur will spin this into getting banned :) jk love you tuthur :blobnom:

Last edited:
I agree with the aforementioned posts about Alcremie. I think its set unpredictability makes it really hard to prep for and consistently answer. As Toto said, if you guess wrong on its set, you’re probably going to lose. Pabloaram also made a great point that Alcremie exploits Sawk, an A+ mon in its own right. So, while Silvally-Ground is definitely centralizing - I loved Kay’s anecdote about “grass tax” - you more or less know what you’re going to get from it and that makes it easier to prepare for.

So, I agree with Toto that Alcremie is a higher priority than Silvally-Ground. I was surprised nobody on ZU Council voted it S, to be honest. That said, I would prefer a suspect over a quickban. I don’t think a quickban is appropriate because I’m not sure we’ve had the necessary time to evolve and adapt to Alcremie in the new meta. For example, Ninetales looks like potentially threatening counterplay, but I’d like to see if that actually works out in the wild. I just think that quickbanning anything at this stage is a bit hasty, but I might be in the minority with that opinion.

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
*You enter Fortune Teller Jett's tent and sit at a small table. The lighting is faint and the scent of lavender is heavy in the air. Three cards are randomly chosen from a deck and placed in front of you, face-down. Jett gestures for you to pick a card.*

"Right!"

*Jett turns over the card to reveal a Alcremie, a sign that there will be great food today.*
alcremie card.png

The Ace of Spades; Alcremie is often the main win condition (Ace) for the teams it resides on, usually utilising either a Calm Mind or Double Dance set, although there is also a more niche offensive set utilising 3 attacks and Recover. This latter set is far less common and therefore the focus will be mainly on the setup sets.

What makes Alcremie so unique when compared to other defensive set up sweepers, is that you cannot simply slap a Taunt user such as Jellicent or Qwilfish onto your team in order to check it because of Aroma Veil. Similarly Prankster users such as Liepard and Sableye cannot rely on Encore to shut it down either making it very difficult to stop after a couple of boosts. There are still a few means of dealing with Alcremie via status moves; Toxic is commonly run by many Pokemon and is excellent against non-Rest and Aromatherapy sets, while Roar and other phazing moves aren't all that common, but has been seeing more and more usage on Rhydon specifically, a Pokemon which has also been on the rise as of recent. Haze is also another option to buy time against Alcremie but is relatively uncommon. The means of dealing with Alcremie with status moves are fewer than other defensive setup sweepers, but they are still relatively easy to fit onto teams.

As for offensive counterplay and ways of actually trying to break down Alcremie via attacks, it varies between the sets. For example, Double Dance has no way of dealing with Dark-types as it runs Stored Power as its only attack. On the otherhand, Calm Mind (as well as offensive) Alcremie will always run Dazzling Gleam as one of its moves which would nail any poor Dark-type that attempts to switch in. The same can be said for Steel-types, as Alolan Sandslash and Klingklang must be very wary of sets that carry Mystical Fire (offensive sets excel at luring Steel-types and punishing them immediately, but Calm Mind also runs this move most the time). Riskier ways of dealing with Alcremie include Trick from the likes of Rotom and Jynx, though you will still need other Pokemon to deal with Alcremie if it did not lock itself into a status move. Due to the aforementioned lack of ways to deal with Alcremie with status moves in the metagame, it can often be risky to pivot around and try figure out what set the opposing Alcremie is, as even a couple turns of setup can potentially end up in a clean sweep.

The other main issue that is often brought up about Alcremie is that it is a nightmare to prepare for in teambuilder. The departure of both Garbodor and Centiskorch as of recent have also greatly benefited Alcremie and has required teams to look for new Pokemon to deal with Alcremie. Such Pokemon do exist, as both Silvally-Poison and Rapidash are expected to be rather favourable in the metagame as well, although they are not perfect replacements. While Alcremie can struggle against fast paced teams which attempt to overwhelm it and give it few opportunities to setup, stall teams are often forced to run very niche options such as Perish Song trapping and Whirlwind, as Pyukumuku is not sufficient for checking Alcremie if it has Stored Power. It does force bulkier teams to run specific moves but this is very different to in the past where Pokemon such as Sneasel and Centiskorch forced certain Pokemon upon Balance and Bulky Offense respectively.

One value that often is ends up being unsaid is that Alcremie teams rely on having momentum in order to reliably set it up due to the nature they often built. Despite its amazing defensive typing, great defenses, and the plethora of common Pokemon it is able to switch into and setup on, in practice it is far less free when it comes to setting it up. Switching Alcremie into a Silvally-Dark for instance isn't viable as if it clicks Swords Dance during this turn, it will claim the following turn with Iron Head. Even for Alcremie's most favourable matchups such as Sawk and Shiftry which provide Alcremie with a free turn of setup, this is still far from an immediate win condition. Losing Leftovers or Heavy-Duty Boots (doubt you'd switch in Chesto Berry variants but that would remove a lot of immediate pressure) to Knock Off is actually really bad for it long term although immediately it will not take much damage. If it switches into a Poison Jab or Leaf Storm respectively, it'll take 40-50%, which means a turn in the near future must be spent on recovery rather than setup, which buys valuable time for the opposing team.

My verdict is that in a vacuum, Alcremie is arguably the biggest threat in the metagame, but the game simply does not play out in this way. You can very easily Toxic a Rest or Aromatherapy variant of Alcremie, and then play against Alcremie as if it is one of these variants and at some point it'll be forced to either reveal one of these two moves or die to Poison. We see more and more random Pokemon running Toxic just cause it's great at blanket checking to some degree the numerous walls and diverse threats in the metagame. Garbodor and Centiskorch was a net benefit for a lot of Pokemon, not just Alcremie, including other Poison- and Fire-types, which are still fully capable of checking at least one of the two common Alcremie sets. Similarly, emphasis is put way too much on Alcremie's ability to switch into certain Pokemon and setup for a guaranteed victory. There are reasons why Pokemon like Sawk remain completely fine in the metagame, because not only do they matchup well against a lot of other Pokemon, but Alcremie's existence is clearly not enough of a hiderance to it's viability. That's not to say Alcremie doesn't deserve to be looked at or even given a suspect but I feel most arguments on Alcremie lie flat when in the actual battle and only focus on very specific scenarios where you are able to garner multiple free turns; additionally in practice you cannot have an Alcremie which is multiple sets and your opponent will have different ways of dealing with each one, since counters to each set are plenty and general ways to deal with multiple also aren't hard to fit. I'm left somewhat unconvinced that Alcremie deserves a suspect but I'm still open to switching sides.

*Jett takes the card back, reshuffles, and gestures for you to pick another card.*

"Middle this time."

*Jett turns over the card to reveal a Silvally-Ground, a sign that a friendship will grow much stronger today*
silvally card.png

The Joker; Silvally-Ground. Similar to the Joker having being able to represent any value a person desires, Silvally also has multiple formes, with Silvally-Ground being the most powerful one in ZU. Silvally-Ground typically only runs a Swords Dance set with slight variations in its coverage moves but is one of the most splashable Pokemon in the metagame due to its amazing typing, great all round stats, and ability to fulfil multiple roles at once.

Silvally-Ground's main offensive tool is its STAB Multi Attack which, especially after a Swords Dance boost, is capable of breaking past the majority of even neutral targets and some of the tiers best physical walls. This leaves players with several options to deal with Silvally-Ground; Grass-types, Flying-types, and Levitate users in teambuilder.

Grass-types make an ideal choice for checking Silvally-Ground's original set of Swords Dance, Multi-Attack, Rock Slide, and U-turn with the occasional Flame Charge sometimes replacing it. Bulky Grass-types such as Tangela and Gourgeist-S can easily shrug off these attacks with ease and force Silvally-Ground to pivot or switch out. The came along the adaptation of Ice Beam which made is far more difficult for several Grass-types to deal with. Tangela's poor special defense means that even after heavy Special Defense investment, it needs to avoid switching into a Knock Off in order to reliably switch into Silvally-Ground. Gourgeist doesn't have the luxury of Regenerator allowing Tangela to continue momentum and is therefore forced to waste a turn to use Synthesis or else it can no longer check Silvally-Ground. Eldegoss is arguably the best Grass-type answer to Silvally-Ground due to its much better Special Defense and Regenerator so that your Grass-type doesn't become a complete momentum drain, but it can be difficult to fit onto teams when compared to Tangela and Gourgeist-S.

Flying-types are great since they avoid any damage from Multi-Attack but they have to be wary of Rock Slide. Even if Silvally-Ground is running Ice Beam instead, this still threatens a fair amount of Flying-types, with Altaria doing even worse against it, as it would probably love to cripple it with Toxic. A few do fair better against Ice Beam variants; Articuno probably being the most prominent example of this but you can rarely afford to directly switch in your Flying-type into Silvally-Ground, as if it sets up a Swords Dance the possibility of Rock Slide exists and a Rock Slide flinch can be very devastating for non quad-weak Flying-types. Flying-types also have the issue of being weak to Stealth Rock which cuts their longevity significantly and makes them shaky checks to begin with, once their Heavy-Duty Boots have been removed.

Solid Levitate users are rare in ZU, and there are even fewer that can reliably switch into Silvally-Ground; the two main ones often highlighted are Uxie and Rotom. Uxie is horrendous at actually checking Silvally-Ground since it'll lose to Rock Slide flinches and deals very little back. Even if it carries a move like Yawn (which it honestly always should, since it best performs as a pivot that forces some switches), Silvally-Ground will just U-turn on it meaning Uxie will inevitably get worn down. Rotom is far more frail and also one Rock Slide flinch away from losing against Silvally-Ground but if it manages to pull off a Will-O-Wisp, it is excellent at crippling Silvally-Ground. The only problem is that most Rotom currently aren't running this move and Choice Scarf often remains the default set for most teams.

While base 95 Speed is very good in ZU, it does leave a fair amount of revenge killing possibilities for faster Pokemon and of course Priority users. Choice Scarf Sawk, Thwackey, Basculin, and Cinccino are all great options for revenge killing Silvally, although some will require some initial chip due to Silvally's great natural bulk. The problem with these offensive checks however is that none of them can really risk switching in to one of its attacks, or even risk being pivoted upon. Usually they require a free switch or sacrificing a lot of health from one of the soft checks which can also pivot (Wishiwashi probably being the main one) in order to reliably get it in safely in order to force out Silvally-Ground. Offensively counterplay definitely exists throughout the metagame and most offensive teams do have a Pokemon faster than Silvally-Ground but it can be difficult to execute in practice.

My verdict is that the fact that a Pokemon like Silvally-Ground pushes the boundaries of what it means to be a Jack of all trades as it does excel at namely wallbreaking while having very few glaring flaws. Arguments about how it is easier to prepare for is true but how much more are we willing to prepare for it, since it's arguably already the most prepped for mon in the metagame. However, similar to Alcremie, it is true that Silvally-Ground cannot carry each and every coverage move, and therefore most teams should have a good stop to it in some way. This being said it has still proven it can be an effective pivot against its worst matchups; teams that feature a defensive core of a Grass-type and a Flying-type that is neutral to Ice. Despite being seen as an offensive Pokemon, a Ground-typing and great bulk actually means it can switch into a couple attacks with relative ease and it often finds itself on teams that thrive off pivoting making it easy to get in and off of the field; this in turn means it suffers a lot less from issues of momentum as it can reclaim some of it back against Volt Switch users. Silvally-Ground manages to be so consistently good despite how far players go out of their way to check this Pokemon which is honestly a testament to how good it really is, and therefore at the very least deserves a suspect test. I'm not in the pro-ban camp by any means but if we were to do a suspect test, this would be my premier choice.

*You hand over 10000 Pokédollars and leave the tent*

Last edited:

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
What Should We Do About Silvally-Ground?

Silvally-Ground has risen to become a top-tier threat in ZU right now. With its fabled Rock/Ground coverage, access to Swords Dance, great stats of 95 across the board, and its variety of useful attacks (U-Turn, Ice Beam, Flame Charge, etc), preparing for Silvally-Ground can sometimes be overwhelming. There are very few Pokémon, especially physical walls, that can handle a Multi Attack boosted by Swords Dance. Pokémon that do, like Altaria and Articuno, easily get threatened by Rock Slide. So, after getting a Swords Dance boost, defensive counterplay against Silvally-Ground isn’t easy.

However, there are some ways of working around this. Of course, while its 95 Speed Tier is favorable, it’s not perfect. Offensive threats like Basculin, Cinccino, Small Gourgeist, Scarf Jynx, and Scarf Sawk can all revenge kill Silvally-Ground. While revenge killing is a legitimate strategy, it’s quite linear, and playing around a +2 Silvally-Ground is difficult to do defensively. Tangela is a fantastic physical wall, but if its Eviolite gets removed, it gets damaged hard by U-Turn. Physical walls like Jellicent don’t exactly get OHKO’d by a +2 Multi Attack, but it’s more damage than one can be consistently comfortable with.

Oftentimes, it seems like preventing a Swords Dance boost is the best one can do against Silvally-Ground. It’s no surprise that a +2 Attack Pokémon is strong. However, even the hardest hitters like +2 Jynx still get checked by some special walls. I find a +2 Silvally-Ground to be much more overwhelming than any other Attack-boosted Pokémon, due to its combination of great coverage and Speed. This makes Silvally-Ground one of the biggest restrictions when teambuilding, as all teams have to take its presence into account.

So on paper, Silvally-Ground seems easily bannable. With that being said, in practice, Silvally-Ground users still need to make enough correct decisions to wreak havoc with it. Silvally-Ground has enough bulk to take multiple hits, but it still remains as a Ground type that’s weak to many attacks. While setting up in the face of an offensive threat has its rewards, it has to do it knowing that the opponent doesn’t have one of the many attacks that Silvally-Ground is weak to. It also is weak to many priority users, like Thwackey and Basculin. It’s technically not ‘weak’ to Kangaskhan’s Fake Out and Sucker Punch, but it does take very significant damage from it. Even when Silvally-Ground matches up against defensive Pokémon, it’s not always a free Swords Dance. While many defensive staples of the tier can’t do too much to instantly threaten it, it’s not always worth the risk of being crippled by Toxic, or taking lots of damage from a supereffective attack, just to get a Swords Dance off. Without Swords Dance, Silvally-Ground is still strong, but not very strong. In contrast, previously banned Pokémon with immediate power like Centiskorch and Magmortar were extremely easy to spam attacks with, which was part of what made them uncompetitive in ZU. So, while there’s no doubting the offensive prowess of Silvally-Ground, it’s more demanding in skill requirement than previously banned Pokémon.

I still don’t quite know if Silvally-Ground is bannable yet. With everything being considered though, I would support a suspect test of Silvally-Ground. I wouldn’t meet the requirements though, because I suck lol

If you read to the finish, thank you for reading!!! <3

Last edited:
After some discussion today in the discord about Alcremie it was mentioned that the fires types, Rapidash and Ninetales beat every Alcremie set. This intrigued me as in my post above out I outlined how checking Alcremie is inconsistent as its checks don’t overlap on different sets. So I went into the lab and unfortunately realised the fires don’t actually beat every set. The testing was done when Alcremie was given a free turn, such as against choice scarfed sawk, one of the most common mons in the meta. Lefties was also removed as im sure you would all complain that it would have been knocked off.

I acknowledge that there is more variety in counterplay with Alcremie compared to previous banworthy mons but the inconsistantly in said counterplay is what gets me. You cant just slap a qwillfish on a team for Centi or tang for Groundvally (yes ik ice beam adaption exsist and to counter that 76 spd also exsist) and call it a day. The fact that I can still get swept by it even when I have dedicated mons to beating it is really annoying. For example whilist you can just slap SD on the standard Spd Rhydon set to ease the matchup it doesnt mean you wont lose to it. You need to change to the Rhydon to max attack adamant in order to 2hitko the mon and therefore beat the recover sets. This then worsens your ability to check rotom and kanga which imo is what makes Rhydon such a good mon in the meta. Also as for all valliies then can also lose as seen in the replays. Anyways the point of this post isn’t to say that Rapidash, Rhydon or Silvally formes arnt a check to Alcremie if it came across that way, im just trying to get across that whilist counterplay is more plentiful its not consistent. Also mini rant here and I know this isnt a reason for something getting banned but Alcremie offers nothing of value to the tier, its not really used to check anything or be part of any cores, its just pure evil matchup fishing wincon that will surely not be missed.

In conclusion im still gunna stand by my previous suggestion that Alcremie Should be Quickbanned prior to zupl.

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not gonna lie, I am surprised by the pro-ban Alcremie and anti-ban Silvally-Ground movement in this thread and on discord.

Alcremie
Some people have found Alcremie to be too hard to prepare for since Garbodor and Centiskorch left. While I agree these two Pokemon were great checks to most Alcremie sets they still struggled versus the double dance set which is one i've heard the most complains about and offensive Psychic Alcremie easily lured the former.

So the first problem people have with Calm Mind Alcremie is that it has a lot of different variations. Mystical Fire threatens Steel-types, Aromatherapy negligates Toxic, Stored Power breaks Pyukumuku, Dazzling Gleam breaks Dark-types, Acid Armor helps with physical breakers, etc ... However, there are Pokemon that always beat Alcremie the most common variants and aren't niche picks like Haze Articuno or Perish Song Lapras. Swords Dance or Roar Rhydon, Swords Dance + Morning Sun Rapidash, Swords Dance Silvally formes that aren't Fighting or Dark, Nasty Plot Skuntank, and Nasty Plot Ninetales are all very good threats in the current metagame that always beat Alcremie in 1v1, beat most set if they hard switch into, and always put Alcremie low enough so you can revenge kill it with a physical or special breaker, and are in almost every ZU team. But, you're not forced to run one of these Pokemon to beat Alcremie! Those are just the one that do well versus every Alcremie set, if you manage to scout the set, there are plenty of additional counters to it.
If Alcremie lacks Acid Armor, any physical breaker will break through it.
If Alcremie lacks Aromatherapy or Rest, any Toxic user will beat it.
If Alcremie lacks Mystical Fire, offensive Steel-types will break through it.
If Alcremie lacks Dazzling Gleam and Mystical Fire, it gets beaten by any Dark-type.
If Alcremie lacks Recover, it's only setting up versus very passive stuffs or needs to preserve its Chesto Berry.
Scouting Alcremie is only hard if it gets a free switchin, because you can get a lot of information from hitting it once. Crippling with Toxic will also force it to reveal Aromatherapy or Rest, switching in a Trick user will also force it out as Alcremie needs to switch moves. Don't get me wrong, having those isn't sufficient counterplay to Alcremie, however it's giving you information that let you know how to beat Alcremie.

In reality, Alcremie isn't much different from other defensive sweeper like Uxie, Galarian Rapidash, Cofagrigus, Swoobat, Musharna, Duosion, or Orbeetle, except for Aroma Veil. So while, it sucks that ToxTaunt Jellicent and Golbat are unable to counter Alcremie and that Liepard and Sableye can't Encore it into a status move. However, these Pokemon shouldn't even be your sole counterplay to defensive sweepers as Liepard and Sableye are pretty mediocre to deal with Uxie's, Musharna's, and Galarian Rapidash's Fairy-type moves, and Golbat should definetely not be your answer to boosting Psychic-types. What I am questioning is if the team that get demolished by Alcremie aren't the same that get demolished by any defensive sweeper and if you aren't just too lazy to prepare for these Pokemon. That's also a problem I have with Toto's replays, you would have lost to any defensive sweeper in most situations with only two Pokemon left and giving it a free turn. However, in practice, Alcremie doesn't get that many opportunities as outside of weak attackers and walls without Toxic or Sleep inducing moves which aren't that common. If you let Alcremie setup, it will most likely take out a Pokemon, but if your team is prepared correctly to defensive sweepers in general, this shouldn't happen. The most dangerous set, Double Dance, can't really switch into anything and relies on getting a free turn, so the Alcremie is technically playing on 5 vs 6, therefore the player without Alcremie has more room for plays in early and mid games to try to win before Alcremie gets an opportunity to setup and to preserve the Pokemon they need for Alcremie.

Silvally-Ground
So unlike Alcremie, this Pokemon is not 6-0ing any team as most faster Pokemon check it and there are established counters that will always beat it and have reliable recovery. Jett already made a great job and explained well my problem with Silvally-Ground's offensive counterplay, so I won't repeat what she said, but remember that I think that the offensive counterplay is lacking.

Now, I'd like to talk a bit about the defensive checks.
Tangela: outside of the rare Ice Beam variants, Tangela is an awesome counter to Silvally-Ground that can recover back the damage lost from U-turn thanks to Regenerator.
Eldegoss: takes a lot more from U-turn as Regenerator doesn't even compensate Regenerator unless you're running max def Eldegoss. Eldegoss is a pretty trash mon nonetheless.
Shiinotic: another shitmon that gets easily worn down because of its trash stats, but at least it can punish U-turn spam.
Gourgeist formes: more easily chipped by U-turn, even if they have Synthesis.
Wishiwashi: PhysDef is a counter, but needs to be healthy (at least at 66% and this mon relies on Rest to heal), SpD is a check but has to be above 50%.
Jellicent: Only the worst sets beat it, you need a lot of Defense to tank a +2 Multi-Attack. You need Will-O-Wisp to cripple it and Scald to damage it, which are inferior options to Toxic and Night Shade/Hex in the current metagame imo, because Toxic+Taunt is just too good at stallbreaking right now and with Water immune Pokemon like Substitute Arctovish and Specs Jynx being so common, you can't really afford Scald as only offensive move. Jellicent isn't a counter, and not even a check with its best set.
Rotom: +2 252 Atk Silvally-Ground Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom: 164-193 (53.9 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
So in the worst case, you should be able to trade your Rotom for a burn and heavy damage on Silvally-Ground. First, I'd like to point out, how shit Rotom is and how unhealthy it is to run max HP on such a frail Pokemon that needs both Speed and SpA EVs to be a real offensive threat. Second, with a bit of math, you can calculate that Silvally-Ground has 40.5% to beat Rotom by flinching it or dodging its Will-O-Wisp (there is also 1.5% chance that both miss their move). 40.5% chance to lose is pretty shitty for a counter, so I'll stop considering it as a reliable counterplay to Silvally-Ground.
Let's call R the event Rock Slide hits.
Let's call W the event Will-O-Wisp hits.
Let's call F the event Rock Slide flinches.
P(R and (W or F)) = P(R) * P((W or F)|R) = 0.9 * (P(F) + P(F) * P(W|F)) = 0.9 * (0.3 + 0.7 * 0.15) = 40.5%
Alolan Persian: technically it's not a counter since it gets 3HKOed and can only 3HKO back. It also get's heavily chipped by U-turn. However, it's great at detering Silvally-Ground from clicking Swords Dance and can revenge kill it if has been weakened.
Uxie: It can come on Silvally-Ground and pivot out with U-turn. Not so good as it get greatly chipped from U-turn itself and can't really threaten Silvally-Ground back so it only works if you have offensive counterplay paired with it. Offensive Uxie isn't doing so well versus Silvally-Ground as they basically trade versus each other and flinches can happen.

The reliable counterplay to Silvally-Ground is basically an handfull of Grass-types and Pokemon that kinda work, but you can't rely on. That makes supporting Silvally-Ground very easy, since all its checks are weak to the same stuffs (Skuntank, Fire-types, Ice-types, etc ...). The lack of variety to Silvally-Ground counterplay means it is very easy to build a team around it and to support it, which is kinda unhealthy.

Silvally-Ground has too many good traits that make it different from other wallbreakers and sweepers. Its high Speed and bulk, make revenge kill it kinda hard, like other Silvally. However, unlike the other Silvally, Silvally-Ground is able to combine the pivoting and breaking aspect while having an almost perfect coverage. This lets it chip physical wall early and get momentum versus its counter for almost no drawback. The Stealth Rock resist help in that regard as it is very hard to chip Silvally-Ground down with only Stealth Rock. Additionally, the Electric immunity is huge as it allows Silvally-Ground to setup on locked Electric-types like Manectric and Rotom, but also provides it a Thunder Wave immunity which is very annoying. In the current metagame, Thunder Wave users have almost disappear and I would definetely use them more if Silvally-Ground wasn't arround.

Conclusion
I am very sick people are fine using Gourgeist-Small in every offense and Tangela in every other team to not lose to Silvally-Ground, and don't see this an unhealthy. Meanwhile, I am amazed people still don't know how to beat defensive sweepers and are looking for an hardcounter to every Alcremie set, when it's not necessary at all. We already banned Grassy Seed because our playerbase doesn't want to deal with defensive sweepers, and banning Alcremie won't solve it. If Alcremie gets banned, another defensive sweeper will take its place until we hit shit mon. You don't prepare for Alcremie with one mon, but with cores, that sounds so obvious to me but apparently some people just consider Pokemon as 1v1. However, my experience preparing for Silvally-Ground without Tangela or Gourgeist-Small has been pretty bad, as even with stuffs like Sableye, Uxie, and WoW Rotom, my Silvally-Ground matchup isn't so great, because this mon is just insane and you can't play safely versus it unless you have one of the few Grass-types that handle it.

Last edited:

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I mean, Tangela is a staple on pretty much a staple on every team already, I don't think Groundvally leaving would do much to change that. It's probably the best physical wall in the tier. I doubt all 11.3% of Tangela's usage last month was due to Groundvally. I agree with the rest of the post though.
No Pokemon should be a staple on every team. Tangela would still be an excellent physical wall without GroundVally, however right now, it feels mandatory. Without Silvally-Ground, you would be more free with your physical wall choice, whereas rn you're forced into running Tangela or inferior Tangela (Shiinotic, Gourgeist-Super, Eldegoss) or Gourgeist-Small.
Personally, with how back-and-forth the discussion has been, and with ZUPL right around the corner, I think the best idea would be to hold the suspects off until after ZUPL, but ban both Alcremie and Groundvally in the tour's games. With the amount of people wanting one or the other banned, and with how big of a tour ZUPL is, I think this is the best approach.
I completely disagree with this. First we have time to suspect one of those two Pokemon before ZUPL, so there is no reason to suspect it afterwards. Then ZUPL would be the perfect moment to see if the other Pokemon is a real problem. Having a suspect test during ZUPL would be kinda hard, but if there is enough feedback we could also quickban it during the tournament and retest it as it ends as you suggested.

I'd like to propose Alcremie for Stage 7. I'll keep this pretty short as I'm sure most people know what Alcremie does. Double Dance is super dangerous after just one turn. With Centiskorch and Garbodor gone, this (admittedly cute) monster is now even harder to stop. Once it comes in, if you're not capable of killing it in one hit, you're pretty much done. Not even statusing the set works, as it runs Rest. While DD only runs Stored Power for attacking, meaning Dark-types wall it, it's not the only set that Alcremie can run. All three sets on the analysis can run Calm Mind, so it can be really hard to predict what set it's running until it's too late. Also, the sets that don't run Stored Power all run Dazzling Gleam, which nukes Dark-types, and usually run Mystical Fire, which nukes Steel-types. It can also run Aromatherapy to heal its teammates and itself, which screws over Defensive teams badly, as they primarily rely on status to take care of opponents. Snowslash arriving is nice, but even that's not a consistent counter. I just feel like Alcremie gets way too out of control way too fast. Thus, I feel like Alcremie deserves to be suspected.
Okay so before getting into the meat of this post lemme reply to a few of these because some stuff doesn't check out. The first being is this weird thing people keep saying about skorch and garb being cremie answers because they weren't. Both of them lost to the most commonly run Cremie set of CM + acid armor, and garb was even losing to some lure sets with Psychic. Skorch did technically stop a specific set of dgleam + mystical fire but that set was by far not the most common one and teams couldn't just slap on skorch and call it a cremie answer, so them going hasn't really changed the metagame for cremie much outside letting their lure sets have a little bit of an easier time but still maintain the exact same flaws.

After some discussion today in the discord about Alcremie it was mentioned that the fires types, Rapidash and Ninetales beat every Alcremie set. This intrigued me as in my post above out I outlined how checking Alcremie is inconsistent as its checks don’t overlap on different sets. So I went into the lab and unfortunately realised the fires don’t actually beat every set. The testing was done when Alcremie was given a free turn, such as against choice scarfed sawk, one of the most common mons in the meta. Lefties was also removed as im sure you would all complain that it would have been knocked off.

I acknowledge that there is more variety in counterplay with Alcremie compared to previous banworthy mons but the inconsistantly in said counterplay is what gets me. You cant just slap a qwillfish on a team for Centi or tang for Groundvally (yes ik ice beam adaption exsist and to counter that 76 spd also exsist) and call it a day. The fact that I can still get swept by it even when I have dedicated mons to beating it is really annoying. For example whilist you can just slap SD on the standard Spd Rhydon set to ease the matchup it doesnt mean you wont lose to it. You need to change to the Rhydon to max attack adamant in order to 2hitko the mon and therefore beat the recover sets. This then worsens your ability to check rotom and kanga which imo is what makes Rhydon such a good mon in the meta. Also as for all valliies then can also lose as seen in the replays. Anyways the point of this post isn’t to say that Rapidash, Rhydon or Silvally formes arnt a check to Alcremie if it came across that way, im just trying to get across that whilist counterplay is more plentiful its not consistent. Also mini rant here and I know this isnt a reason for something getting banned but Alcremie offers nothing of value to the tier, its not really used to check anything or be part of any cores, its just pure evil matchup fishing wincon that will surely not be missed.

In conclusion im still gunna stand by my previous suggestion that Alcremie Should be Quickbanned prior to zupl.
So really interesting post to read but there's one fundamental issue with your post. You're assuming they're all CM Acid armor with recover which is strictly an unusual set and not something you should really be using as your main benchmark. Recover is only used on the lure sets because on these sets you care less about denying toxic, taunt, and encore and care more about the sleep immunity granted by Sweet Veil because your goal is to lure something specific in and kill it, not set up for 6 turns and sweep. So when you're running recover on this set which drastically changes your match ups in unrealistic ways, it really skews the results of your replays(and the reason people don't run recover on this cremie set is because it makes any mon with toxic or encore/taunt an instant cremie check which is why people forgo it and run rest). So while what you're saying in this post is technically correct, its not realistic given how the meta is currently using Cremie. That's not to say however that cremie can't adapt to these counter measures by bluffing aroma veil and using a recover sweet veil set on acid armor sets. But that should be saved as a discussion point only if people start doing it and if it turns out its good, which now isn't that time compared to talking about how people are currently using it and whats currently good on it.

So with that in mind let me just show some replays of random set up sweepers being able to switch into a cremie and win the set up war in its face.

Now all these replays assume the Cremie comes in on a knock off or that its leftovers and that its the standard acid armor rest set.
But even without going into the more standard set up mons like SD rhydon, Klinklang, Perr, and Slash-a, we have a ton of mons that can check cremie that people aren't even using without even going into all the haze mons that hard wall every single set. I think the biggest reason I'm against a Cremie quick ban or to suspect it before Vally-Ground is that we have so much adaption in the tier just waiting to be discovered in ways that we've already explored for something like Vally-Ground.
Plus the potential banning/not banning of Vally-Ground directly impacts the viability of stuff like Skuntank which in turn directly effects Cremie so it just makes sense for a lot of reasons to do Vally-Ground first.

Last edited:
Hehe time to say stuff
:ss/Silvally Ground:

This mon has been really good for a long time now. EdgeQuake-like coverage is really nice already, but this mon has U-turn too to bully Grass-Types.
Points in favour
> It hits ground neutral targets really hard, with Rock Slide killing :Articuno: or :Altaria: or :Rotom fan:. U-Turn chunks grass types like :Eldegoss:, :Appletun: , and while not doing too much, is still super-effective on :Tangela: and ok damage on :Gourgeist:. With sd it can break through naturally bulky mons like :Jellicent: or :Miltank:, which can annoy it greatly otherwise.
> It resists rocks, so it's not the easiest to wear down with hazards
> It's immune to electric, so it can come in on stuff like :Rotom: and :Manectric: and twave from :Miltank:
> It has great natural bulk, 95/95/95 is kinda sick
> Its speed tier is cool, 317 outpaces important stuff like :Rotom: , :Skuntank:, non scarf :Sawk:, and it ties with :Jynx:, so even vs an ice type, it has as much of a chance of winning as the ice has.
> It can run mix work up sets with ice beam and varying spatk investments depending on the target, it basically zeros in on stuff that checks it, and then it clicks the delete button :/
> I can't think of other stuff

Ok now ,
Points against
> If you're constantly forcing it to click U-Turn by running a nice grass, you're negating it too much progress, coz it can't really click its stab without losing momentum.
> It being an elec check goes multiple ways
1) If it's banned, electrics could very well become broken, rotom already has very few switch ins, imagine it without Groundvally :face with one tear:
2) You still can't have this as your only elec taker, coz rotom and mane and fan can easily zero in on you. So you still gotta scout beforehand, it's not something braindead.
> 317 speed is proly on the higher side of mid or the lower side of high , it's still outsped by notable stuff like :Basculin: or :Ninetales: or :Rapidash: or :Cinccino: etc etc, not to mention scarfers like :Sawk: or boosters like :Frosmoth:. Scarf :Rotom: is notable for wisping it too.
> Work up sets are kinda specific, and defo aren't as slappable as typical sd u turn stuff.
> Stuff like :Ferroseed: or :Jellicent: or :Wishiwashi: + a soft check/revenge killer is , a lot of times, enough for Groundvally. And tbh we've got a lot of viable stuff that can offensively check it.
Now something I didn't see others say
> I'm not hampering myself by running a :Tangela:. Being walled by one of the absolute best mons in the tier is seriously crippling, you'll see this thing on like every second team lol. The same can be said for :Rotom: too, although obv not to the same degree, but rotom is still very common and very good, it can soft check Groundvally decently well.
Now now, ik this really limits our options, no mon should be *mandatory* on teams to check stuff. But like still tho :blobshrug:

In conclusion, idfk if this thing is broken or not lol. I can see clear arguments for both sides.

:ss/Alcremie:
i actually don't have much to say about this thing, I was honestly surprised it was brought up for a suspect, even potentially before Groundvally. As people have already said, if you're losing to this then there's a high chance you're losing to most bulky setup sweepers. As also said, you're playing 5v6 while using such a setup reliant mon vs a standard well built team. There's stuff that can check it, we just gotta run that stuff. :Rhydon: is pretty notable, it's already very good.
Another mon I wanna s/o is Haze :Articuno:. It completely invalidates cream, while still dealing with stuff like :Skuntank: and :Frosmoth:, but now it's not setup fodder for random bu :Throh: or :Gurdurr: too.
Take whatever I said about cream with a pinch of salt tho, its a running joke that ladder doesn't use cream, so I don't have as much experience with it or against it.

That's it , I've completed saying stuff, have a good day :blobwizard:

Gentle reminder that :Palpitoad:'s stab Scald is super effective on Groundvally

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)