Project NU Archetype Cores [Dragon / Fire / Flying]

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Week 18 - Fighting/Psychic/Your CHOICE
Since the Bewear and Pangoro bans, there are many candidates like Sirfetch'd, MACHAMPER, and even Virizion in the current metagame. NU still has Mienshao at the moment which has at least 4 good offensive sets you could run effectively. Psychic-types appreciate Fighting-types to deal with Steel and Dark-types with their respective Fighting-type attacks. We debated on the last slot as any Pokemon (without an item) helps with Band Poltergeist Pokemon like Golurk and Decidueye or something generic like Poison which fits perfectly...eventually we went with any Pokemon of your choosing. Here's a list of pokemon to help you in your building, but as usual, you aren't limited to just these mons. Good luck!

: :mienshao: :machamp: :sirfetch :passimian: :virizion: :toxicroak:
: :articuno-galar: :bronzong: :celebi: :cresselia: :espeon: :starmie: :indeedee-f: :raichu-alola: :xatu:
(Your Choice for 3rd)

Don't forget to follow the rules in the OP and have fun!
Submissions are due by this weekend

roxie

is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
taking sirfetch'd articuno-g and vileplume(may switch to decide)
:sirfetch :vileplume: :articuno-galar:
Articuno-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Future Sight
- Recover
- U-turn
- Hurricane

Sirfetch’d @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- First Impression
- Poison Jab

Vileplume
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Strength Sap
Galarian Articuno sets Future Sight and forms a good wallbreaking core with Sirfetch'd because CC helps with Steels that resists Psychic-type attacks. U-turn from Galarian Articuno pivots teammates in and usually, Steel-types will try to come into it which sets an opportunity for Sirfetch'd to come in. Vileplume helps with Poltergeist Pokemon like Decidueye and Golurk with no item. Sleep Powder from Vileplume also gives opportunities for Sirfetch'd to come into play aswell.​

Last edited:

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Shao Cress Braviary
:mienshao: :cresselia: :braviary:
Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Def / 20 SpA / 144 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Moonblast

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Braviary @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Defog
- Roost
Designed to support Cress, these three create a powerful core that's hard pressed to be stopped. Mienshao can Knock and chip down checks in Steel's while Braviary supports both of them by eliminating Ghost's for both and Plume for Shao with ease. On top of that, Braviary also bait's in Steel's too with BB into CC KOing, or getting close to, reliably. All in all a really really good core with all the brokens.

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
toxicroak, espeon, dhelmise

:dhelmise: :espeon: :toxicroak:
Dhelmise
Ability: Steelworker
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Poltergeist
- Rapid Spin
- Synthesis

Espeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
Jolly Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off
itemless dhelmise supports the team as it can come in on the polterspammers which are locked into their choice-items and can just spam its own
poltergeist or hit them with a strong power whip, dhelmise furthermore removes entry hazards like stealth rocks and spikes from the field, and has
synthesis to keep itself alive.

espeon has choice specs with magic bounce to bounce back any status- and hazard move but has the aspect of hitting hard with psychic, dazzling gleam, and shadow ball. furthermore it has access to trick which cripples incoming switchins such as bronzong and copperajah.

swords dance toxicroak is the breaker on this team with its dual-stab in drain punch and gunk shot, it can hit a lot of pokemon at least for neutral damage with that stab combination and also has knock off to remove annoying items from the opposing side, such as heavy-duty boots and leftovers to dismantle their longevity and to limit the turns to come in on the field.

in overall:
this core can work with the help of dhelmise switching into polterspammers, espeon as some kind of speed control and toxicroak as a breaker and they can support each other pretty well in this aspect.

Last edited:

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
thanks roxiee for literally stealing my team idea in your core ._.

:indeedee-f::hitmonlee::sceptile:
Hitmonlee (M) @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Indeedee-F (F) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Mystical Fire
- Dazzling Gleam
- Healing Wish

Sceptile @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Acrobatics

Really standard terrain core I don't need to explain too much. Indeedee-F sets the Psychic Terrain for the two abuser of the core. Healing Wish is cool for defensive backbones you might have on the team. Hitmonlee is the first terrain abuser and gets a two times boost in speed when activating Psychic Seed. Bulk Up makes it a pretty ok terrain set up sweeper. The other moves are used for coverage to ease the sweep. Sceptile benefits from terrain in two ways: in 1) gets the same kind of boost from activating its seed and 2) gets protected from First Impression while Psychic Terrain is up.

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for the delay on this, we hoped for someone to break the tie but w/e the RNG gods decided the two last weeks:

Week 17: Congratulations :drapion: :silvally: (fighting) :mesprit:by Katy !
Screenshot_4.png

&

Week 18: Congratulations: :sirfetch :vileplume: :articuno-galar: by Roxiee
Screenshot_3.png

Btw I tried to edit the HoF, the lates two winner will fall under recent cores, how do you like the idea of seperating outdated cores?

Last edited:

roxie

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
Week 19: Rock, Ground, Grass

We agreed on making this cycle of Arche Types Cores around a typing that isn't used all that much to potentially shine some light on it. There are plenty of viable and underexplored Rock type pokemon out there and we want to see what you guys come up with! We supported the Rock typing with a Grass type partner which can deal with Ground and Water types. In return Grass types appreciate Rock types checking annoying Fire types. Ground rounds up the core and makes for an opposing Rock check and Electric immunity. Also, many Rock and Ground types share a certain theme (not spoilering anything ;) ).

To aid your team-building, I have put together a list of viable Pokemon for each type, although you are not limited to this list.

1615915745819.png
: :diancie::tyrantrum::aerodactyl::Gigalith::Regirock::Archeops::Lycanroc::Aurorus::Kabutops::Omastar:
1615915758708.png
: :Flygon::Mudsdale::Golurk::gastrodon::Sandaconda::Sandslash::Palossand::Stunfisk-Galar:
1615915800394.png
: :Rotom-Mow::Decidueye::Celebi::Roserade::Virizion::Whimsicott::Dhelmise::Shiftry:

Follow the rules in the OP when posting.
Submissions will be due by next Saturday, March 19th.

reserving diancie/flygon/rose

:ss/Diancie::ss/flygon::ss/Roserade:
Flygon @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- U-turn
- First Impression

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Body Press
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 88 SpA / 64 SpD / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Spikes

So since flygon is the primary offensive mon in this core, let's talk about how the other mons support flygon.
Roserade handles bulky waters that flygon has trouble breaking, and natural cure lets it pivot into possible status from the likes of rotom-c.
Diancie gives you a dragon immunity that can switch into choiced dragons such as goodra and guzzlord, as well as SR

Last edited:

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
Too high up - VoltTurn core
:ss/Archeops::ss/Flygon::ss/Rotom-Mow:
Archeops @ Choice Band / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Dual Wingbeat

Flygon @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- First Impression
- U-turn

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick
I was theorizing a lot about Archeops, whether it being some Power Herb Acrobatics set with Meteor Beam or Sky Attack but I never got myself to actually sit down and build a team with it. While I do get why Choice Band is not ideal since you get chipped into Defeatist passively, I slashed Heavy-Duty Boots as an item to choose. These pokemon are supposed to U-turn/Volt Switch out on their checks to slowly chipp them into range of their attacks. I don't think I have to explain how a VoltTurn core functions.
Pretty simple but looks rather effective. Im fs trying it out.

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
:Palossand: :lycanroc: :celebi:

Palossand @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Compaction
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Shore Up

Lycanroc @ Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Accelerock

Celebi @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
palossand sets stealth rocks and helps lycanroc and celebi to break through the opposing team with its stealth rocks as
stealth rocks weakens the opposition. lycanroc is the physical breaker with swords dance and 3 attacks with accelerock,
stone edge, and close combat as coverage which can hit guzzlord and other dark-types super effectively. celebi is the special
breaker with nasty plot and 3 attacks, its attacks consist of leaf storm, psychic, and shadow ball, the latter is to lure in decidueye,
dhelmise and to hit silvally-ghost and galarian articuno.​

Last edited:

Danny

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
ZU Circuit Champion
:ss/diancie: :ss/dhelmise: :ss/Sandslash:

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
- Power Gem

Dhelmise
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Power Whip
- Shadow Claw
- Synthesis

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Ok so I wanted to build a serviceable hazard stack core, and after thinking about a few options I settled on these three goons. The first mon here is Diancie, the Stealth Rocker of the team. It gives the team a Flying resist, which is extremely valuable as Dhelmise is my Spin Blocker and Spinner itself. The spread on Diancie is there to live 4 CCs from offensive Braviary while still having enough SpD to eat 3 Freezing Glares from Articuno Galar. I opted for Power Gem because I hate the diminishing returns on Diamond Storm damage while Sub BU Braviary tries to Bulk Up. It also gives me more PP. I went with Heal Bell because that allows the other two to not be bothered by status, as Gastrodon tends to toxic the Dhelmise switch in. Speaking of Dhelmise, it is one of my favorite spinners at the moment, it also gives me a Rotom-mow switch in. The set is pretty straight forward, and with no item, I can still serve as a Golurk switch in. Lastly, I added the spiker, Sandslash, which I think is really cool at the moment because it can Knock items, potentially spin(although I opted not to do that for this core), and serve as a switch in to Band Tyrantrum Head Smash. Definitely going to build a team around this core, I really like it, and I hope you guys like it too!​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)