[NU] Death by Cotton

The NU Teir is a mismash of the outclassed and the useless, and, as a result, is very varied and diverse.

However, there is a distinctive lack of walls and bulky special attackers, while there is a distinctively high around of slow, bulky physical powerhouses, and support-type pokemon.

As anyone who's listened to me in the NU thread knows, I hyped up Altaria. So, I decided to make this team to prove it.

Considering I've only lost a couple of times with this team, and prior versions of it, and won many times, I'd say it's rather sucessful. One of those losses was because of HP Ice Electrode... which could have been for no other reason except to outspeed and OHKO the Altaria set I had posted in the NU thread [Which is EV'ed out outpace Swellow at +1]

---

At a Glance

-
The team is filled with physical powerhouses. The lack of [broken] good special attackers in NU, as well as decent physical walls, allows me to focus my team on simplely MUSCLEING PAST ALL OPPOSITION. Physical tanks? They'll fall to an appropriate physical SE hit. Or Altaria. Altaria just smashes everything, and seriously, IMO, needs to be banned from NU.

The Team in Detail:

Floatzel @ Focus Sash
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature

- Brick Break
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Taunt

More of a preventative issue against Stealth Rocks, seeing as most NU SR users hate Floatzel, being weak to either Water, or, in Miltank's case, Brick Break and all of them are outsped. However, Priority is always nice as well, outspeeding things like weakened Pranksters who try and Status you, or Absols who get cocky with Sucker Punch is always fun. Taunt also is a middle finger to StallTarias, and the hazards they rely on.

Rapidash @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Ability: Flash Fire
Adamant Nature

- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- MegaHorn
- Will-O-Wisp

Rapidash exists for one reason, and one reason only in this team. TO SMASH STUFF. Those three moves basically grant Rapidash excellent coverage, and makes 'It's Super Effective' turn up about as often as it does for Electrivire. Except Rapidash has a Base 120 STAB attack to back up those words.

Outside of smashing stuff, Rapidash is also my middle finger to Sableye. Those things love to shoot off Will-O-Wisps with impunity. Especially in the physical-heavy NU teir. Rapidash loves the Flash Fire boost, as that turns Flare Blitz from 'Do +70% to anything that dosen't resist it' to 'OHKO anything except Rock and Water types + Altaria'. The fact that Flare Blitz OHKO's Sableye without Flash Fire helps.

Rhydon @ Evolite
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
Ability: Rock Head

- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish

Tank, hazards, and sweeper all in one little bundle. What's that I hear you cry? Those weaknesses to Water, Grass and Fighting? Altaria gets a free setup. Most Ice moves in NU are too weak to bother Rhydon.

Rhydon is also only recently added, when I realied that Electric did a number on my team.

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed
Adamant Nature
Ability: Guts

- Protect
- U-Turn
- Facade
- Brave Bird

What should you use to clear the checks for a Flying-type sweeper? A second brutally powerful flying type!

Swellow serves four jobs. The first, is killing Simis who think they can sweep me, Swellow's faster than your monkeys, and OHKO's them all.

The second, is a status wall. My team dosen't like Paralysis, unless they're Meganium, who dosen't care. Rapidash tends to commit suicide early, so an insurace against Will-O is also nice.

The third is scouting. U-Turn, and Protect for suspected Choiced sets

The fourth, is smashing stuff with STAB-Guts Boosted Facades and Brave Birds. If it's not a Rock type, or a Steel type [Of which there are few], it's gonna be KO'ed.

Meganium @ Light Clay
252 Def / 252 Sp.Def / 4 HP
Impish Nature
Ability: Overgrow

- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Synthisis
- Seed Bomb

I'm sure you were thinking my team was fragile, right?

Well, every good Hyper Offense team carries a Duel Screener, and, within NU, I regard Meganium as one of the best. Mespirit? Get out of here, you don't have recovery. Natu? YOU'RE A FREAKING NATU! Who cares about Roost and Evolite, you still die to a poke, not to mention no Light Clay.

Not to mention Meganium tends to lure fire-type attacks. And flyers. Both are Rhydon fun, and the former is Rapidash bait.

Evolite Rhydon behind screens is just nasty, and so is Altaria.

Synthisis is because weather is almost non-existant in NU, so, if the screens run out... I CAN DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!

Altaria @ Persim Berry
252 Atk / 16 Def / 240 Spd
Adamant Nature
Ability: Natural Cure

- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Behold, the single most broken thing in NU. The sole viable dragon that can pull off reliable sweeps without having to be cradled by it's team [Looking at you, Zwelious with your CB Hustle Outrages in Trick Room that requires a sacriice to even get you in in the first place]

The EV's are specifically designed to abuse speed teirs. At +1, this set outspeeds Swellow. It's impossible for +1 Altaria to reach Electrode and Ninjask, and the latter's a non-issue anyway. [So's the former, unless it's running HP Ice just for Altarias]

This enables Altaria to invest a few more EV's in it's bulk. Which is impressive. 75/90/105 is very bulky for NU. Especially with Roost. And screens.

A Persim Berry is used because:
1: Altaria kills most the teir at +1. What can take it at +1 generally cannot OHKO it, so gets set up on to +2.
2: Natural Cure rocks, if I get Toxic'ed while setting up, I'll either Outrage for a good five turns streight, and then die, or just switch out and remove it. Burns? I can Roost more often, and just set up to +6, or switch out.

As for the attacking moves:

NU Steels and Viable Prevos
Klingklang [Weak to EQ]
Magneton [x4 Weak to EQ]
Lairon [x4 weak to EQ]
Metang [Weak to EQ]
Malwile [LOL]

Outrage murders everything else. Simple as.

Genrally, Altaria comes in as soon as it can, and sweeps outright. In the event my foe haas taken steps to prepare for Altaria, such as sticking HP Ice on something that isn't OHKO'ed by Outrage, Altaria just waits until Rapidash, Swellow and Rhydon have done their jobs, and plays janitor.

90% of my victories are Altaria sweeps, or where Altaria got Toxic'd and murdered 4 of the other team before dying.

50% of my losses are HP Ice Electrodes from left feild, and I run Rhydon now. The other 50% being... I can't remember. I think I just played stupidly.

---

Threats:

HP Ice Electrodes, because they outspeed +1 Altaria and OHKO

Stalltaria can be an issue, because I lack Ice Beam. Stalltarias run Sp.Def EV's, and abuse Cotton Guard, Roost, and Roar. Yes, Altaria can run TWO broken sets which can decimate teams. That thing can even wall Rhydon out of Stone Edge PP by Roosting repeatedly, and, at +3, dosen't even take 50% damage while not Roosting.

A 252/252 Miltank (What I use) Only takes 27.92%-32.99% from a Brick Break. Assuming you go for Brick Break over taunt on the first turn, I can thunder wave on that turn and than get Rocks up.

Another thing is that I've noticed Serperior sets screens up just as well, or even better than Meganium. Coming from its immense speed and great bulk it is guaranteed to get its screens ups.
Serperior (M) @ Light Clay Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Dragon Tail
- Leaf Storm
Reflect/Light Screen for obvious reasons. Dragon Tail for phazing the more and more common Gorebyss/Other baton passes. And leaf storm for a great STAB. EVs are meant to maximize speed for guaranteed screens and maximum HP for more bulk.

Hope this helps a bit

-Tiff

Most Ice moves in NU are too weak to bother Rhydon.
Most Ice moves in NU are STAB Blizzards from Jynx and Glaceon.

So no.

I think you're hyping up Altaria a bit too much. There are a lot of fairly common things that can take a +1 Outrage and kill you. Eviolite Rhydon? Gigalith? Torkoal? Weezing? Tangela? Lairon? Golem? Carracosta? I don't know what metagame you've been playing, but I see these things all the time, and every one of them takes an Outrage and either cripples you severely or kills you.

Your team loses to a well-made hail team, plain and simple. Bulk Up Throh fixes that. Put it over Swellow, who is doing nothing for your team and is just thrown on there because it can kill something occasionally and then die the next turn.

Bulky special attackers? Off the top of my head beheeyem, duos ion, electrosss, exxegutor, magneton, rotoms... Your floatzel is kind of dumb. I mean chincinno, jumpluff... Also as Xephyr mentioned Ice attacks are revalent. Cincinno w/ life orb could actually 6-0 you alone if it gets a little lucky. Maybe add bulk up gurdurr? And put giga drain on meganium. Don't go out of your way to be stupid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)