[NU] Octillery (DONE)

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
[OVERVIEW]

Octillery's great coverage and Special Attack make it incredibly hard to wall with anything other than a special wall like Wailord, Dewgong, Kecleon, or Lickitung, while its great matchup against common leads like Sudowoodo, Flareon, and Metang makes it a solid lead option. Octillery is also the best recipient of stat boosts via Baton Pass in the tier thanks to its ability Suction Cups, which prevents foes from dealing with it by phazing it, and it can also utilize Thunder Wave to help make up for its poor Speed. Unfortunately, because of said meager Speed, Octillery heavily struggles against faster foes like Haunter, Plusle, and Pikachu if it lacks Speed boosts or doesn't get the chance to paralyze them. Additionally, Octillery is outclassed both offensively and defensively by Wailord and Dewgong due to its poor bulk and inability to get past checks with utility moves like Self-Destruct and Encore.

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Surf
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Hidden Power Electric
move 4: Thunder Wave
item: Leftovers / Lum Berry
ability: Suction Cups
nature: Modest
evs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Surf is Octillery's best source of damage against neutral targets, including Hitmonchan, Chimecho, and Kecleon. Fire Blast targets Grass-types such as Roselia, Cacturne, and Bellossom. Additionally, its ability to OHKO lead Glalie and Venomoth makes it superior to more accurate moves like Ice Beam and Flamethrower. Hidden Power Electric rounds out Octillery's coverage by hitting Water-types like Wailord, Dewgong, and Pelipper super effectively, although Hidden Power Grass works as an alternative to target Relicanth as opposed to Pelipper for 4x super effective damage. Thunder Wave helps make up for Octillery's poor Speed and lets it support its team by crippling faster Pokemon like Golbat and Pidgeot. 84 Speed EVs let Octillery outspeed Relicanth, while the remaining EVs with a Modest nature make Octillery stronger and bulkier. Leftovers provides Octillery with useful recovery so it can pivot into certain attacks like Flareon's Flamethrower and Wailord's Surf more frequently, although Lum Berry is a great option if Octillery is being used as a lead to improve its matchup against Venomoth. Suction Cups is mostly useless, although it's nice to prevent the foe from phazing Octillery to rack up Spikes damage.

If Octillery isn't being used as a lead, it is ideal to bring it in on weak, resisted attacks such as Flareon's Flamethrower and Wailord's Surf to preserve its HP. Once on the field, the goal should be to take advantage of Octillery's great coverage to hit predicted switch-ins such as Roselia and Pelipper with the appropriate coverage move. If the opponent has a dedicated special wall like Kecleon or Vigoroth, paralyzing it with Thunder Wave or simply switching out to a check is ideal. When Octillery is in the lead slot, the main goal will be to force out opposing leads with Octillery's positive matchup against them to reveal other members and get hard hits off early-game.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Pupitar, Calm Mind Chimecho, and Haunter appreciate Octillery's wallbreaking support enabling them to clean late-game more effectively. Because Octillery isn't as reliable as other Water-types at switching into Fire- and Water-type attacks, Pokemon like Flareon and Roselia are useful to provide secondary switch-ins to such attacks. Flareon can also bring Octillery in against Pokemon like Torkoal and Relicanth with Baton Pass, Roselia's Spikes help support Octillery's wallbreaking, and both can switch into Grass-type attacks. Normal- and Flying-types such as Raticate, Pidgeot, and Murkrow benefit from Octillery pressuring Rock- and Steel-types; in return, they help against special walls.

[SET]
name: Baton Pass Receiver
move 2: Ice Beam
move 4: Substitute
item: Leftovers
evs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Surf is Octillery's best move to use against neutral targets such as Hitmonchan, Chimecho, and Vigoroth. Ice Beam targets Grass-types such as Roselia, Cacturne, and Tropius and is generally preferred to Fire Blast for its greater accuracy despite requiring two Special Attack boosts to OHKO Roselia. Hidden Power Electric gives Octillery a way to threaten Water-types like Wailord and Dewgong. Substitute shields Octillery from status moves and critical hits. 144 Speed EVs enable Octillery to outspeed Raticate after two Speed boosts, while the remaining EVs with a Modest nature improve its bulk and attacking power. Leftovers helps sustain Octillery's health and makes it even more difficult to take down, especially when it has multiple defensive boosts. Suction Cups prevents Octillery from being phazed after it has received stat boosts.

Octillery should not be sent out by any means other than with Baton Pass in order to preserve its HP as well as possible; additionally, Octillery shouldn't be brought in unless it will receive multiple stat boosts and a Substitute. Once Octillery is on the field, very little prediction is required, especially if it has received two Special Attack and Speed boosts; it will essentially OHKO any target it can hit super effectively. In the event Octillery's Substitute gets broken, it's best to set another up immediately to prevent Octillery from being statused or taking a critical hit.

Team Options
========

This Octillery set should only be used on dedicated Baton Pass teams, which all follow a very similar formula. Venomoth is a great lead on such teams because it can put the opponent's lead to sleep with Sleep Powder and easily set up a Substitute, although Ariados can be used for Speed boosts and its ability to trap a passive foe with Spider Web. Mawile can help provide Defense boosts, while Plusle supplies Speed boosts. Delcatty gives Octillery its Special Attack and Special Defense boosts and can even pass Wish in case Octillery is entering a field with Spikes. Ledian makes setting up even easier for Octillery's teammates thanks to dual screens.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Octillery can opt for more Speed EVs to outspeed targets faster than Relicanth; 164 Speed EVs let it outpace base 65 Speed Pokemon like Roselia and Flareon, while 204 Speed EVs give it the jump on Dewgong. Do note, however, that Octillery will serve as an even worse switch-in to resisted attacks. A Lum Berry can be utilized on the Baton Pass-based set to make Octillery less vulnerable to status, especially if it isn't being Baton Passed a Substitute. However, the recovery from Leftovers is generally more beneficial.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Normal-types**: Because Octillery doesn't typically run Fighting-type coverage, it can struggle to reliably get past Pokemon like Vigoroth, Kecleon, and Lickitung without stat boosts.

**Water-types**: Pokemon like Wailord and Dewgong don't take too much from unboosted Hidden Power Electric and can retaliate with their own super effective Hidden Power Grass or Electric.

**Electric-types**: Although Pokemon like Plusle, Pikachu, and Minun don't switch into Octillery well, the former two easily OHKO it with Thunderbolt, while Minun can 2HKO it.

**Roselia**: Roselia is heavily pressured by Fire Blast, but it is usually faster than Octillery and pressures it to not spam its STAB Surf.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Rabia, 336073]]
- Quality checked by: [[Bughouse, 52547], [Disjunction, 224927]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Empress, 175616], [The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216]]

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wailord/Dewgong could be in the overview like Lick/Kec since you’re listing them in c&c anyway.

the oo mentions of hp fighting and edge sound kinda ass. I think more relevant oo are higher speed to outrun things even higher than relicanth (65s, 70s etc), or HP Grass for Whiscash, though electric for Pelipper is generally more relevant for Octillery’s set.

otherwise I have no concerns

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Wailord/Dewgong could be in the overview like Lick/Kec since you’re listing them in c&c anyway.

the oo mentions of hp fighting and edge sound kinda ass. I think more relevant oo are higher speed to outrun things even higher than relicanth (65s, 70s etc), or HP Grass for Whiscash, though electric for Pelipper is generally more relevant for Octillery’s set.

otherwise I have no concerns
did

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ay idk if anyone is gonna card me for this but rabia told me to give this a qc check even though I'm not on the team. I don't think anyone on the team is gonna question my knowledge on the tier tho
Additionally, Octillery's bulk is nothing great, meaning it often fails to supply the same defensive utility as other Water-types like Wailord and Dewgong.
I think it's better to phrase this in a way that says oct is outclassed both offensively and defensively by Wail/Gong since it doesn't have the bulk AND it lacks the cheese options vs bulky waters like boom/encore.

Fire Blast targets Grass-types such as Roselia, Cacturne, and Bellossom.
fire blast is better than ice beam/flamethrower because it ohkoes lead glalie/moth so mention that
84 Speed EVs let Octillery outspeed Relicanth
you can skip this suggestion because the choice between grass/electric isn't huge, but I think if you're gonna run speed for reli, you can mention hp grass as a slash so you can just ohko it.
[SET]
move 2: Ice Beam / Fire Blast
don't really like fire blast on the bp set. surf/beam/hidden power is all you need and you're risking hax.

Team Options
========

This Octillery set should only be used on dedicated Baton Pass teams, which all follow a very similar formula. Venomoth is a great lead on such teams because it can put the opponent's lead to sleep with Sleep Powder and easily set up a Substitute, although Ariados can be used for Speed boosts and its ability to trap a passive foe with Spider Web. Mawile can help provide Defense boosts, while Plusle supplies Speed boosts. Delcatty gives Octillery its Special Attack and Special Defense boosts and can even pass Wish in case Octillery is entering a field with Spikes. Ledian makes setting up even easier for Octillery's teammates thanks to dual screens.
you might as well just link the fucking paste https://pokepast.es/fa909ce139f23049
Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Normal-types**: Because Octillery doesn't typically run Fighting-type coverage, it can struggle to reliably get past Pokemon like Vigoroth, Kecleon, and Lickitung without stat boosts.

**Water-types**: Pokemon like Wailord and Dewgong don't take too much from unboosted Hidden Power Electric and can retaliate with their own super effective Hidden Power Grass or Electric.

**Electric-types**: Although Pokemon like Plusle, Pikachu, and Minun don't switch into Octillery well, the former two easily OHKO it with Thunderbolt, while Minun can 2HKO it.
put roselia in here. it gets 2 hit by fire blast, but it does pressure you to not click surf/hp and you are forced out by it since it is very rare for rose to be slower than you.

2/2 as long as no one gives a shit I'm giving a check

Rabia

GP & NU Leader
ay idk if anyone is gonna card me for this but rabia told me to give this a qc check even though I'm not on the team. I don't think anyone on the team is gonna question my knowledge on the tier tho

I think it's better to phrase this in a way that says oct is outclassed both offensively and defensively by Wail/Gong since it doesn't have the bulk AND it lacks the cheese options vs bulky waters like boom/encore.

fire blast is better than ice beam/flamethrower because it ohkoes lead glalie/moth so mention that

you can skip this suggestion because the choice between grass/electric isn't huge, but I think if you're gonna run speed for reli, you can mention hp grass as a slash so you can just ohko it.

don't really like fire blast on the bp set. surf/beam/hidden power is all you need and you're risking hax.

you might as well just link the fucking paste https://pokepast.es/fa909ce139f23049

put roselia in here. it gets 2 hit by fire blast, but it does pressure you to not click surf/hp and you are forced out by it since it is very rare for rose to be slower than you.

2/2 as long as no one gives a shit I'm giving a check
ur more qualified to be qc than i am so im counting this as 2/2 cwl

sending to gp

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add remove comment
[OVERVIEW]

Octillery's great coverage and Special Attack make it incredibly hard to wall with anything other than a special wall Pokemon (subjective change; this eliminates repetition, but it might make the sentence a tiny bit less clear, so I'll leave this up to you) like Wailord, Dewgong, Kecleon, or Lickitung, while its great matchup against common leads like Sudowoodo, Flareon, and Metang make makes (either do this or pluralize "matchup") it a solid lead option. Octillery is also the best recipient of stat boosts via Baton Pass in the tier thanks to its ability Suction Cups, which prevents opponents foes (This could go either way, but I think "foes" is better because the Pokemon is doing the phazing. The opponent is clicking Roar/Whirlwind, but they're not the ones truly using the move.) from dealing with it by phazing it, and it can also utilize Thunder Wave to help make up for its poor Speed. Unfortunately, because of Octillery's said meager Speed, it Octillery (Again, it's your call. It makes the previous sentence flow into this one directly, but I wouldn't call it 100% necessary.) heavily struggles against faster foes like Haunter, Plusle, and Pikachu if it lacks Speed boosts or doesn't get the chance to paralyze them. Additionally, Octillery is outclassed both offensively and defensive by Wailord and Dewgong due to its poor bulk and inability to get past checks with utility moves like Self-Destruct and Encore.. (remove extra period)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Surf is Octillery's best source of damage against neutral targets, including Hitmonchan, Chimecho, and Kecleon. Fire Blast targets Grass-types such as Roselia, Cacturne, and Bellossom. Additionally, its ability to OHKO lead Glalie and Venomoth makes it the superior option to over (either do this or just use "superior to") more accurate moves like Ice Beam and Flamethrower. Hidden Power Electric rounds out Octillery's coverage by hitting Water-types like Wailord, Dewgong, and Pelipper super effectively, although Hidden Power Grass works as an alternative to target Relicanth as opposed to Pelipper for 4x super effective damage. Thunder Wave helps make up for Octillery's poor Speed and lets it support its team by crippling faster Pokemon like Golbat and Pidgeot. 84 Speed EVs let Octillery outspeed Relicanth, while the remaining EVs with a Modest nature make Octillery stronger and bulkier. Leftovers provides Octillery with useful recovery so it can pivot into certain attacks like Flareon's Flamethrower and Wailord's Surf more frequently, although Lum Berry is a great option if Octillery is being used as a lead to improve its matchup against Venomoth. Suction Cups is mostly useless, although it's nice to prevent the opponent foe from phazing Octillery to rack up Spikes damage.

If Octillery isn't being used as a lead, it is ideal to bring it in on weak, resisted attacks such as Flareon's Flamethrower and Wailord's Surf to preserve its HP. Once on the field, the goal should be to take advantage of Octillery's great coverage to hit predicted switch-ins such as Roselia and Pelipper with the appropriate coverage move. If the opponent has a dedicated special wall like Kecleon or Vigoroth, paralyzing it with Thunder Wave or simply switching out to a check is ideal. When Octillery is in the lead slot, the main goal will be to force out opposing leads with Octillery's positive matchup against them to reveal other members and get strong hits off early-game.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Pupitar, Calm Mind Chimecho, and Haunter appreciate Octillery's wallbreaking support enabling them to clean late-game more effectively. Because Octillery isn't as reliable as other Water-types at switching into Fire- and Water-type attacks, Pokemon like Flareon and Roselia are useful to provide secondary switch-ins to such attacks. Flareon can also bring Octillery in against Pokemon like Torkoal and Relicanth with Baton Pass, Roselia's Spikes help helps (99% sure that Spikes [the move] is a singular noun) support Octillery's wallbreaking, and both can switch into Grass-type attacks. Normal- and Flying-types such as Raticate, Pidgeot, and Murkrow benefit from Octillery pressuring Rock- and Steel-types; in return, they help against special walls.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Surf is Octillery's best move to use against neutral targets such as Hitmonchan, Chimecho, and Vigoroth. Ice Beam targets Grass-types such as Roselia, Cacturne, and Tropius and is generally preferred to Fire Blast for its greater accuracy despite requiring two Special Attack boosts to OHKO Roselia. Hidden Power Electric gives Octillery a way to threaten Water-types like Wailord and Dewgong. Substitute shields Octillery from status moves and critical hits. 144 Speed EVs enable Octillery to outspeed Raticate after two Speed boosts, while the remaining EVs with a Modest nature improve its bulk and attacking power. Leftovers helps sustain Octillery's health and makes it even more difficult to take down, especially when it has multiple defensive boosts. Suction Cups prevents Octillery from being phazed after it has received stat boosts.

Octillery should not be sent out by any means other than with Baton Pass in order to preserve its HP as best as possible; additionally, Octillery shouldn't be sent out unless it has received will receive (At this point, it's not on the field yet) multiple stat boosts from teammates and a Substitute (either move "from teammates" here or leave it out completely). Once Octillery is on the field, very little prediction is required, especially if it has received two Special Attack and Speed boosts; it will essentially OHKO any target it can hit super effectively. In the event Octillery's Substitute gets broken, it's best to set another up immediately to prevent it Octillery from being critically hit or statused or taking a critical hit. (Maybe we could petition for "critically hit" to go into coined terms, but until then, it sounds weird.)

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Octillery can opt for more Speed EVs to outspeed targets faster than Relicanth; 164 Speed EVs let it outpace base 65s 65 Speed Pokemon like Roselia and Flareon, while 204 Speed EVs give it the jump on Dewgong. Do note, however, that Octillery will serve as an even worse switch-in to resisted attacks. A Lum Berry can be utilized on the Baton Pass-(RH) based set to make Octillery less vulnerable to status, especially if it isn't being Baton Passed a Substitute. However, the recovery from Leftovers is generally more beneficial.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Normal-types**: Because Octillery doesn't typically run Fighting-type coverage, it can struggle to reliably (Ugh, split infinitive. Still, changing it would make the sentence worse. You win this round...) get past Pokemon like Vigoroth, Kecleon, and Lickitung without stat boosts.

**Roselia**: Roselia is heavily pressured by Fire Blast, but it is usually faster than Octillery and pressures it to not spam its STAB Surf.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
Very few objective changes. Thanks for making our work easy as always! GP 1/2

Last edited:

Rabia

GP & NU Leader
add remove comment
[OVERVIEW]

Octillery's great coverage and Special Attack make it incredibly hard to wall with anything other than a special wall Pokemon (subjective change; this eliminates repetition, but it might make the sentence a tiny bit less clear, so I'll leave this up to you) like Wailord, Dewgong, Kecleon, or Lickitung, while its great matchup against common leads like Sudowoodo, Flareon, and Metang make makes (either do this or pluralize "matchup") it a solid lead option. Octillery is also the best recipient of stat boosts via Baton Pass in the tier thanks to its ability Suction Cups, which prevents opponents foes (This could go either way, but I think "foes" is better because the Pokemon is doing the phazing. The opponent is clicking Roar/Whirlwind, but they're not the ones truly using the move.) from dealing with it by phazing it, and it can also utilize Thunder Wave to help make up for its poor Speed. Unfortunately, because of Octillery's said meager Speed, it Octillery (Again, it's your call. It makes the previous sentence flow into this one directly, but I wouldn't call it 100% necessary.) heavily struggles against faster foes like Haunter, Plusle, and Pikachu if it lacks Speed boosts or doesn't get the chance to paralyze them. Additionally, Octillery is outclassed both offensively and defensive by Wailord and Dewgong due to its poor bulk and inability to get past checks with utility moves like Self-Destruct and Encore.. (remove extra period)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Surf is Octillery's best source of damage against neutral targets, including Hitmonchan, Chimecho, and Kecleon. Fire Blast targets Grass-types such as Roselia, Cacturne, and Bellossom. Additionally, its ability to OHKO lead Glalie and Venomoth makes it the superior option to over (either do this or just use "superior to") more accurate moves like Ice Beam and Flamethrower. Hidden Power Electric rounds out Octillery's coverage by hitting Water-types like Wailord, Dewgong, and Pelipper super effectively, although Hidden Power Grass works as an alternative to target Relicanth as opposed to Pelipper for 4x super effective damage. Thunder Wave helps make up for Octillery's poor Speed and lets it support its team by crippling faster Pokemon like Golbat and Pidgeot. 84 Speed EVs let Octillery outspeed Relicanth, while the remaining EVs with a Modest nature make Octillery stronger and bulkier. Leftovers provides Octillery with useful recovery so it can pivot into certain attacks like Flareon's Flamethrower and Wailord's Surf more frequently, although Lum Berry is a great option if Octillery is being used as a lead to improve its matchup against Venomoth. Suction Cups is mostly useless, although it's nice to prevent the opponent foe from phazing Octillery to rack up Spikes damage.

If Octillery isn't being used as a lead, it is ideal to bring it in on weak, resisted attacks such as Flareon's Flamethrower and Wailord's Surf to preserve its HP. Once on the field, the goal should be to take advantage of Octillery's great coverage to hit predicted switch-ins such as Roselia and Pelipper with the appropriate coverage move. If the opponent has a dedicated special wall like Kecleon or Vigoroth, paralyzing it with Thunder Wave or simply switching out to a check is ideal. When Octillery is in the lead slot, the main goal will be to force out opposing leads with Octillery's positive matchup against them to reveal other members and get strong hits off early-game.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Pupitar, Calm Mind Chimecho, and Haunter appreciate Octillery's wallbreaking support enabling them to clean late-game more effectively. Because Octillery isn't as reliable as other Water-types at switching into Fire- and Water-type attacks, Pokemon like Flareon and Roselia are useful to provide secondary switch-ins to such attacks. Flareon can also bring Octillery in against Pokemon like Torkoal and Relicanth with Baton Pass, Roselia's Spikes help helps (99% sure that Spikes [the move] is a singular noun) support Octillery's wallbreaking, and both can switch into Grass-type attacks. Normal- and Flying-types such as Raticate, Pidgeot, and Murkrow benefit from Octillery pressuring Rock- and Steel-types; in return, they help against special walls.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Octillery should not be sent out by any means other than with Baton Pass in order to preserve its HP as best as possible; additionally, Octillery shouldn't be sent out unless it has received will receive (At this point, it's not on the field yet) multiple stat boosts from teammates and a Substitute (either move "from teammates" here or leave it out completely). Once Octillery is on the field, very little prediction is required, especially if it has received two Special Attack and Speed boosts; it will essentially OHKO any target it can hit super effectively. In the event Octillery's Substitute gets broken, it's best to set another up immediately to prevent it Octillery from being critically hit or statused or taking a critical hit. (Maybe we could petition for "critically hit" to go into coined terms, but until then, it sounds weird.)

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Octillery can opt for more Speed EVs to outspeed targets faster than Relicanth; 164 Speed EVs let it outpace base 65s 65 Speed Pokemon like Roselia and Flareon, while 204 Speed EVs give it the jump on Dewgong. Do note, however, that Octillery will serve as an even worse switch-in to resisted attacks. A Lum Berry can be utilized on the Baton Pass-(RH) based set to make Octillery less vulnerable to status, especially if it isn't being Baton Passed a Substitute. However, the recovery from Leftovers is generally more beneficial.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Normal-types**: Because Octillery doesn't typically run Fighting-type coverage, it can struggle to reliably (Ugh, split infinitive. Still, changing it would make the sentence worse. You win this round...) get past Pokemon like Vigoroth, Kecleon, and Lickitung without stat boosts.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
Very few objective changes. Thanks for making our work easy as always! GP 1/2
yeehaw. spikes can be read as either singular or plural due to (layers of) being implied imo

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Octillery's great coverage and Special Attack make it incredibly hard to wall with anything other than a special wall like Wailord, Dewgong, Kecleon, or Lickitung, while its great matchup against common leads like Sudowoodo, Flareon, and Metang makes it a solid lead option. Octillery is also the best recipient of stat boosts via Baton Pass in the tier thanks to its ability Suction Cups, which prevents foes from dealing with it by phazing it, and it can also utilize Thunder Wave to help make up for its poor Speed. Unfortunately, because of said meager Speed, Octillery heavily struggles against faster foes like Haunter, Plusle, and Pikachu if it lacks Speed boosts or doesn't get the chance to paralyze them. Additionally, Octillery is outclassed both offensively and defensive defensively by Wailord and Dewgong due to its poor bulk and inability to get past checks with utility moves like Self-Destruct and Encore.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Surf is Octillery's best source of damage against neutral targets, including Hitmonchan, Chimecho, and Kecleon. Fire Blast targets Grass-types such as Roselia, Cacturne, and Bellossom. Additionally, its ability to OHKO lead Glalie and Venomoth makes it the superior to more accurate moves like Ice Beam and Flamethrower. Hidden Power Electric rounds out Octillery's coverage by hitting Water-types like Wailord, Dewgong, and Pelipper super effectively, although Hidden Power Grass works as an alternative to target Relicanth as opposed to Pelipper for 4x super effective damage. Thunder Wave helps make up for Octillery's poor Speed and lets it support its team by crippling faster Pokemon like Golbat and Pidgeot. 84 Speed EVs let Octillery outspeed Relicanth, while the remaining EVs with a Modest nature make Octillery stronger and bulkier. Leftovers provides Octillery with useful recovery so it can pivot into certain attacks like Flareon's Flamethrower and Wailord's Surf more frequently, although Lum Berry is a great option if Octillery is being used as a lead to improve its matchup against Venomoth. Suction Cups is mostly useless, although it's nice to prevent the foe from phazing Octillery to rack up Spikes damage.

If Octillery isn't being used as a lead, it is ideal to bring it in on weak, resisted attacks such as Flareon's Flamethrower and Wailord's Surf to preserve its HP. Once on the field, the goal should be to take advantage of Octillery's great coverage to hit predicted switch-ins such as Roselia and Pelipper with the appropriate coverage move. If the opponent has a dedicated special wall like Kecleon or Vigoroth, paralyzing it with Thunder Wave or simply switching out to a check is ideal. When Octillery is in the lead slot, the main goal will be to force out opposing leads with Octillery's positive matchup against them to reveal other members and get strong hard hits off early-game.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Pupitar, Calm Mind Chimecho, and Haunter appreciate Octillery's wallbreaking support enabling them to clean late-game more effectively. Because Octillery isn't as reliable as other Water-types at switching into Fire- and Water-type attacks, Pokemon like Flareon and Roselia are useful to provide secondary switch-ins to such attacks. Flareon can also bring Octillery in against Pokemon like Torkoal and Relicanth with Baton Pass, Roselia's Spikes help support Octillery's wallbreaking, and both can switch into Grass-type attacks. Normal- and Flying-types such as Raticate, Pidgeot, and Murkrow benefit from Octillery pressuring Rock- and Steel-types; in return, they help against special walls.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Octillery should not be sent out by any means other than with Baton Pass in order to preserve its HP as best much / well as possible; additionally, Octillery shouldn't be sent out brought in (repetition ig) unless it will receive multiple stat boosts and a Substitute. Once Octillery is on the field, very little prediction is required, especially if it has received two Special Attack and Speed boosts; it will essentially OHKO any target it can hit super effectively. In the event Octillery's Substitute gets broken, it's best to set another up immediately to prevent Octillery from being statused or taking a critical hit.

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Octillery can opt for more Speed EVs to outspeed targets faster than Relicanth; 164 Speed EVs let it outpace base 65 Speed Pokemon like Roselia and Flareon, while 204 Speed EVs give it the jump on Dewgong. Do note, however, that Octillery will serve as an even worse switch-in to resisted attacks. A Lum Berry can be utilized on the Baton Pass-based (AH) set to make Octillery less vulnerable to status, especially if it isn't being Baton Passed a Substitute. However, the recovery from Leftovers is generally more beneficial.

Checks and Counters
===================

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Empress, 175616], [, ]]

Rabia

GP & NU Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Octillery's great coverage and Special Attack make it incredibly hard to wall with anything other than a special wall like Wailord, Dewgong, Kecleon, or Lickitung, while its great matchup against common leads like Sudowoodo, Flareon, and Metang makes it a solid lead option. Octillery is also the best recipient of stat boosts via Baton Pass in the tier thanks to its ability Suction Cups, which prevents foes from dealing with it by phazing it, and it can also utilize Thunder Wave to help make up for its poor Speed. Unfortunately, because of said meager Speed, Octillery heavily struggles against faster foes like Haunter, Plusle, and Pikachu if it lacks Speed boosts or doesn't get the chance to paralyze them. Additionally, Octillery is outclassed both offensively and defensive defensively by Wailord and Dewgong due to its poor bulk and inability to get past checks with utility moves like Self-Destruct and Encore.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Surf is Octillery's best source of damage against neutral targets, including Hitmonchan, Chimecho, and Kecleon. Fire Blast targets Grass-types such as Roselia, Cacturne, and Bellossom. Additionally, its ability to OHKO lead Glalie and Venomoth makes it the superior to more accurate moves like Ice Beam and Flamethrower. Hidden Power Electric rounds out Octillery's coverage by hitting Water-types like Wailord, Dewgong, and Pelipper super effectively, although Hidden Power Grass works as an alternative to target Relicanth as opposed to Pelipper for 4x super effective damage. Thunder Wave helps make up for Octillery's poor Speed and lets it support its team by crippling faster Pokemon like Golbat and Pidgeot. 84 Speed EVs let Octillery outspeed Relicanth, while the remaining EVs with a Modest nature make Octillery stronger and bulkier. Leftovers provides Octillery with useful recovery so it can pivot into certain attacks like Flareon's Flamethrower and Wailord's Surf more frequently, although Lum Berry is a great option if Octillery is being used as a lead to improve its matchup against Venomoth. Suction Cups is mostly useless, although it's nice to prevent the foe from phazing Octillery to rack up Spikes damage.

If Octillery isn't being used as a lead, it is ideal to bring it in on weak, resisted attacks such as Flareon's Flamethrower and Wailord's Surf to preserve its HP. Once on the field, the goal should be to take advantage of Octillery's great coverage to hit predicted switch-ins such as Roselia and Pelipper with the appropriate coverage move. If the opponent has a dedicated special wall like Kecleon or Vigoroth, paralyzing it with Thunder Wave or simply switching out to a check is ideal. When Octillery is in the lead slot, the main goal will be to force out opposing leads with Octillery's positive matchup against them to reveal other members and get strong hard hits off early-game.

Team Options
========

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Octillery should not be sent out by any means other than with Baton Pass in order to preserve its HP as best much / well as possible; additionally, Octillery shouldn't be sent out brought in (repetition ig) unless it will receive multiple stat boosts and a Substitute. Once Octillery is on the field, very little prediction is required, especially if it has received two Special Attack and Speed boosts; it will essentially OHKO any target it can hit super effectively. In the event Octillery's Substitute gets broken, it's best to set another up immediately to prevent Octillery from being statused or taking a critical hit.

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Octillery can opt for more Speed EVs to outspeed targets faster than Relicanth; 164 Speed EVs let it outpace base 65 Speed Pokemon like Roselia and Flareon, while 204 Speed EVs give it the jump on Dewgong. Do note, however, that Octillery will serve as an even worse switch-in to resisted attacks. A Lum Berry can be utilized on the Baton Pass-based (AH) set to make Octillery less vulnerable to status, especially if it isn't being Baton Passed a Substitute. However, the recovery from Leftovers is generally more beneficial.

Checks and Counters
===================

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Empress, 175616], [, ]]
yay this is done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)