NU Raticate [0/2 QC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]

Raticate has a terrifying niche in the form of Super Fang, giving it great wall-breaking potential. Cutting a bulky Pokemon's health in half makes it easier for Charizard, Kingler, and other sweepers to do their job. Base 97 Speed gives Raticate the 2nd highest speed in the tier, (outside of the rare Electrode) making it very difficult to stop a Super Fang from coming out. Raticate also takes up arms in STAB Hyper Beam and despite usually OHKO'd or 2HKO'd after getting on the field, its immense support provided to sweepers or its ability to become an offensive menace, can land it a spot on hyper offensive teams.

[SET]
name: Sweeping Support
move 1: Super Fang
move 2: Hyper Beam
move 3: Blizzard / Body Slam / Thunder
move 4: Bubble Beam

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
Raticate's game-plan is simple; get in on a valuable target, use Super Fang and/or Hyper Beam, and then faint. Due to Raticate's low bulk, switching-in is quite difficult. Attempt to switch in on a target who is currently boosting, like a Swords Dance or Amnesia user. Predicting a switch to get Raticate in safely can also work. Alternatively, you could use Raticate as a revenge killer, at which it is quite useful. The most important Pokemon to target are ones who stop your Charizard's sweep, like Mr. Mime, Moltres, and Golem.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Raticate doesn't have many viable options outside of the ones above. Blizzard is useful for threatening a Freeze. Substitute can be used to scout switches. but you're probably better off using Super Fang instead. Thunderbolt shouldn't be used over Thunder as it lacks the potential to 2HKO Kingler and Kabutops without a critical hit.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Porygon**: If It's not switching in, Porygon is one of the best pokemon to deal with Raticate. Porygon's Recover can out PP stall Raticate's Super Fang, Forcing it to switch or waste all of Super Fang's PP.

**Gastly**: While it hates Super Fang, Gastly is either immune or takes very little damage from Raticate's moves, in return it threatens a 3HKO with Thunderbolt.

**Golem**: Should Raticate not have Bubble Beam, Golem is the best answer to it. Golem's Earthquake 2HKOs Raticate and can safely switch-in on its Hyper Beam. It is also possible to switch in on Hyper Beam and KO Raticate that way, but this requires prediction and shouldn't be often relied on. Golem should only be used, outside no other option, if you know Raticate isn't carrying Bubble Beam, as Raticate outspeeds and 2HKOs.

**Paralysis** Without speed Raticate's niche becomes much harder to utilize. Common pokemon who can often paralyze Raticate are Electrode, Exeggcute, and especially Porygon.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[, ]]
- Quality checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I've piloted Raticate to success in tournaments before, so I'll share some points.

Raticate is mainly a hit-and-run mid-game attacker: it wants to land one or two Super Fangs before going down. If it does that, it's done its job, anything more is blessed and your Charizard's sweep is all but confirmed. Frame it like this in your overview.

You should always run Bubble Beam in this tier, I didn't once and it made me lose an otherwise won game to Serpi because I'm stupid. Golem is a huge matchup for this thing and a big draw to using it as a Normal-type. Because it has to run Body Slam / Hyper Beam / Super Fang with these, while its movepool is good, it'll be deceptively restricted.

Much of the strategy that goes into Raticate is mentioned in this analysis. Same stuff, different metagame.

I made this spreadsheet back in 2020 that documents Super Fang -> Hyper Beam calcs. Obviously quite outdated these days but the info is there, just less organised than it could be.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B1RfnDPPkcmHkrZtirQqVLgJUlYC-GcMoUqsjhyqeKM/edit?usp=sharing
I think the most notable one is that Mime gets 2HKO'd by SFang -> HB? Definitely more dotted around.

OO should mention Thunderbolt, Thunder, and Blizzard, as they all influence Raticate 2HKO ranges. You should ideally be fine-tuning your rat to your team's endgame route. I personally think Thunder should be used over Thunderbolt every time on Raticate because it's what allows Kingler and Kabutops to be 2HKOed and Thunderbolt doesn't actually help, but I know someone will go MUH CONSISTENCY at the mere mention. Thunderbolt does help against Blastoise but it's stuff 2 Super Fangs can do anyway. The problem with using any of these is that you will likely have to sacrifice your Golem matchup and that is AWFUL.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
May as well give 'er a look...
Add
Remove
Comments
(AC) = Add Comma
(AP) = Add Period (.)

(RH) = Dehyphenate

[OVERVIEW]

Raticate has a terrifying (Feels a bit hyperbolic, but maybe that's what we need.) niche in the form of Super Fang, giving it great wallbreaking (RH) potential. Cutting a bulky Pokemon's health in half makes it easier for Raticate to score 2HKOs on Pokemon like Poliwhirl, Exeggcute, and even Charizard. Likewise, it also helps sweepers like Charizard and (RH) Kingler, and other sweepers to do their job. Base 97 Speed gives Raticate the 2nd highest Speed in the tier, (outside of the rare Electrode) (Incorrect. Charizard is faster, for one, and is one of the best Pokemon in the tier. Rephrase this.) making it very difficult to stop a Super Fang from coming out being used. Raticate also takes up arms in STAB Hyper Beam and despite usually OHKOed or 2HKOed after getting on the field, its immense support provided to sweepers or its ability to become an offensive menace, can land it a spot on hyper offensive teams.

Hmmm...I feel like this could be expanded on.
  • Raticate isn't just Normal STAB, it has stuff like Bubble Beam for Golem!
  • Immunity to paralysis from Body Slam gives it minor methods of switching in, as few Pokemon actually get STAB on it.
  • The negatives need to be gone over in proper detail.
    • Raticate despises paralysis with every fibre of its being and is pseudo-OHKOed when it by it.
    • It's frail as hell and can't take any significant hit twice.
    • While its special coverage is good, it's no Earthquake, so there's that too.
    • Super Fang's imperfect accuracy makes Raticate inherently unreliable.

[SET]
name: Sweeping Support Super Fang (consistency with the other analyses on-site, it's the same schtick)
move 3: Blizzard / Body Slam / Thunder (At best, Body Slam should be the first, switching in faster targets is very difficult when you have to play the Super Fang 50/50 alongside it. I would personally advise against using Blizzard or Thunder on a regular basis, they're quite weak. I think you have the right idea in that they should be used in this slot, but I don't think they are mainstay-ish enough for me to recommend them on the main set. Y'get me?)

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
Raticate's game-plan (RH) is simple: (colon > semicolon) get in on a valuable target, use Super Fang and/or Hyper Beam, and then faint. (mmm, I don't think so. Raticate's uses are twofold: revenge killing or getting massive damage in on a bulky target. It can be used like Tauros in being an annoying revenge killer you can't switch into that deals volatile damage, or you can use it against a Resting target like Moltres to make it irrelevant. Super Fang -> Hyper Beam is big, yes, but there's more to it.) Due to Raticate's low bulk, switching-in (RH) is quite difficult. Attempt to switch in on a target who is currently boosting, like a Swords Dance or Amnesia user. (Add examples: Kabutops, Poliwhirl, etc) Predicting a switch to get Raticate in safely can also work. Alternatively, you could use Raticate as a revenge killer, at which it is quite useful. The most important Pokemon to target are ones who stop your Charizard's sweep, like Mr. Mime, Moltres, and Golem.

So much more should be here.
  • Explain the uses of each move. You have the strategy (sort of) down but citing important damage calculations is always helpful. What 2HKOs do you achieve with Super Fang + Hyper Beam? Can Bubble Beam be applied (Golem!)? It sounds absurdly basic but it can help even an intermediate player as they don't have to go to the damage calculator.
  • What teammates should Raticate be used with? What alleviates its paralysis troubles? What helps against Charizard, which out-guns it in a 1v1 all the time? Raticate is a difficult Pokemon to build around because its defensive utility is incredibly limited, so it should be on teams that appreciate its firepower and only its firepower.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Raticate doesn't have many viable options outside of the ones above. Blizzard is useful for threatening a Freeze. (It's also your best option against Gastly, Sandslash, and Scyther, all being 2HKOed after Super Fang. These are all niche, though, so you should use this to emphasise why it's not often used. People may think Exeggcute, so note that Hyper Beam already deals with it and IIRC actually does more damage) Substitute can be used to scout switches. but you're probably better off using Super Fang instead. Thunderbolt shouldn't be used over Thunder as it lacks the potential to 2HKO Kingler and Kabutops without a critical hit after Super Fang. (Mention the assistance in the Blastoise matchup. It IS a legitimate option, just not a great one.)

Rewrite this to include the options I said to cut. You went over Blizzard here, despite it being in the main set...

Checks and Counters
===================

**Porygon**: If it's not switching in, Porygon is one of the best Pokemon to deal with Raticate. Porygon's Recover can out PP stall Raticate's Super Fang, forcing it to switch or waste all of Super Fang's PP. Furthermore, it threatens Raticate with Thunder Wave, which forces it out instantly.

**Gastly**: While it hates Super Fang, Gastly is either immune or takes very little damage from Raticate's moves. (AP) In return, (AC) it threatens a 3HKO with Thunderbolt or an uncontested Hypnosis. Raticate's Super Fang can hit Gastly, but it takes two hits for even a high damage roll from Blizzard to 3HKO it.

**Golem**: Should Raticate not have Bubble Beam, Golem is the best answer to it. Golem's Earthquake 2HKOes Raticate and can safely switch-in (RH) on its Hyper Beam. It is also possible to switch in on Hyper Beam and KO Raticate that way, but this requires prediction and shouldn't be often relied on. Golem should only be used, outside no other option, if you know Raticate isn't carrying Bubble Beam, as Raticate outspeeds and 2HKOs.

**Paralysis**: (colon) Without speed Raticate's niche becomes much harder to utilize. Common pokemon who can often paralyze Raticate are Electrode, Exeggcute, and especially Porygon.

**Counter Users**: Because Raticate's viability hinges on Super Fang, Counter will always threaten a KO on Raticate. Furthermore, if a Counter user switches in on Raticate and forces it out, this leaves a teammate open to being KOed as well. Viable Counter users include Charizard, Poliwhirl, Clefable, Wigglytuff, Blastoise, and Primeape.

I did Counter, but you should also go over Charizard and Primeape somewhere. Charizard out-guns it in that Raticate will always lose a flat one-on-one, and Primeape threatens Raticate with massive damage in general and Counter.

[CREDITS]

May as well give 'er a look...
Add
Remove
Comments
(AC) = Add Comma
(AP) = Add Period (.)

(RH) = Dehyphenate

CURRENTLY WORKING

[OVERVIEW]

Raticate has a terrifying niche in the form of Super Fang, giving it great wallbreaking potential. Cutting a bulky Pokemon's health in half makes it easier for Raticate to score 2HKOs on Pokemon like Poliwhirl, Exeggcute, and even Charizard. Likewise, it also helps sweepers like Charizard and Kingler, to do their job. Base 97 Speed makes Raticate quite fast; only being outspeed by Base 100 pokemon and Electrode. Due to its speed, it is very difficult to stop a Super Fang from being used. Raticate's coverage moves helps to threaten pokemon who would normally stonewall it, namely, Golem and Kabutops. Raticate also takes up arms in STAB Hyper Beam and despite usually OHKOed or 2HKOed after getting on the field, its immense support provided to sweepers or its ability to become an offensive menace, can land it a spot on hyper offensive teams.

Hmmm...I feel like this could be expanded on.
  • Raticate isn't just Normal STAB, it has stuff like Bubble Beam for Golem!
  • Immunity to paralysis from Body Slam gives it minor methods of switching in, as few Pokemon actually get STAB on it.
  • The negatives need to be gone over in proper detail.
    • Raticate despises paralysis with every fibre of its being and is pseudo-OHKOed when it by it.
    • It's frail as hell and can't take any significant hit twice.
    • While its special coverage is good, it's no Earthquake, so there's that too.
    • Super Fang's imperfect accuracy makes Raticate inherently unreliable.

[SET]
name: Super Fang (consistency with the other analyses on-site, it's the same schtick)
move 3: Body Slam / Thunder (At best, Body Slam should be the first, switching in faster targets is very difficult when you have to play the Super Fang 50/50 alongside it. I would personally advise against using Blizzard or Thunder on a regular basis, they're quite weak. I think you have the right idea in that they should be used in this slot, but I don't think they are mainstay-ish enough for me to recommend them on the main set. Y'get me?)

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
Raticate's gameplan is simple: get in on a valuable target, use Super Fang and/or Hyper Beam, and then faint. (mmm, I don't think so. Raticate's uses are twofold: revenge killing or getting massive damage in on a bulky target. It can be used like Tauros in being an annoying revenge killer you can't switch into that deals volatile damage, or you can use it against a Resting target like Moltres to make it irrelevant. Super Fang -> Hyper Beam is big, yes, but there's more to it.) Due to Raticate's low bulk, switching-in is quite difficult. Attempt to switch in on a target who is currently boosting, like a Swords Dance or Amnesia user. (Add examples: Kabutops, Poliwhirl, etc) Predicting a switch to get Raticate in safely can also work. Alternatively, you could use Raticate as a revenge killer, at which it is quite useful. The most important Pokemon to target are ones who stop your Charizard's sweep, like Mr. Mime, Moltres, and Golem.

So much more should be here.
  • Explain the uses of each move. You have the strategy (sort of) down but citing important damage calculations is always helpful. What 2HKOs do you achieve with Super Fang + Hyper Beam? Can Bubble Beam be applied (Golem!)? It sounds absurdly basic but it can help even an intermediate player as they don't have to go to the damage calculator.
  • What teammates should Raticate be used with? What alleviates its paralysis troubles? What helps against Charizard, which out-guns it in a 1v1 all the time? Raticate is a difficult Pokemon to build around because its defensive utility is incredibly limited, so it should be on teams that appreciate its firepower and only its firepower.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Raticate doesn't have many viable options outside of the ones above. Blizzard is useful for threatening a Freeze. (It's also your best option against Gastly, Sandslash, and Scyther, all being 2HKOed after Super Fang. These are all niche, though, so you should use this to emphasise why it's not often used. People may think Exeggcute, so note that Hyper Beam already deals with it and IIRC actually does more damage) Substitute can be used to scout switches. but you're probably better off using Super Fang instead. Thunderbolt shouldn't be used over Thunder as it lacks the potential to 2HKO Kingler and Kabutops without a critical hit after Super Fang. (Mention the assistance in the Blastoise matchup. It IS a legitimate option, just not a great one.)

Rewrite this to include the options I said to cut. You went over Blizzard here, despite it being in the main set...

Checks and Counters
===================

**Porygon**: If it's not switching in, Porygon is one of the best Pokemon to deal with Raticate. Porygon's Recover can out PP stall Raticate's Super Fang, forcing it to switch or waste all of Super Fang's PP. Furthermore, it threatens Raticate with Thunder Wave, which forces it out instantly.

**Gastly**: While it hates Super Fang, Gastly is either immune or takes very little damage from Raticate's moves. (AP) In return, (AC) it threatens a 3HKO with Thunderbolt or an uncontested Hypnosis. Raticate's Super Fang can hit Gastly, but it takes two hits for even a high damage roll from Blizzard to 3HKO it.

**Golem**: Should Raticate not have Bubble Beam, Golem is the best answer to it. Golem's Earthquake 2HKOes Raticate and can safely switch in on its Hyper Beam. It is also possible to switch in on Hyper Beam and KO Raticate that way, but this requires prediction and shouldn't be often relied on. Golem should only be used, outside no other option, if you know Raticate isn't carrying Bubble Beam, as Raticate outspeeds and 2HKOs.

**Paralysis**: (colon) Without speed Raticate's niche becomes much harder to utilize. Common pokemon who can often paralyze Raticate are Electrode, Exeggcute, and especially Porygon.

**Counter Users**: Because Raticate's viability hinges on Super Fang, Counter will always threaten a KO on Raticate. Furthermore, if a Counter user switches in on Raticate and forces it out, this leaves a teammate open to being KOed as well. Viable Counter users include Charizard, Poliwhirl, Clefable, Wigglytuff, Blastoise, and Primeape.

I did Counter, but you should also go over Charizard and Primeape somewhere. Charizard out-guns it in that Raticate will always lose a flat one-on-one, and Primeape threatens Raticate with massive damage in general and Counter.

[CREDITS]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)