NU Research Week - Week 2: Toxicroak/Rotom

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyanize

Mantra Good I Casted So Many Spells U Idiot
is a Community Contributor
Approved by Kiyo
OP mostly taken with permission from Espeonage.

someone draw me a banner : )

Hello everyone, and welcome to...

SMNU Research Week!

In this project, participants research suggested Pokémon every week and share their experience. Whoever has the highest ladder score at the end of the week will be crowned the winner! Details below.

Keep the following things in mind during Research Week:

- Be open-minded. Don't say something is terrible and walk away, look at its typing, movepool, and stats to come up with something.
- Feel free to theorymon in the early phase of the research week, but later you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, replays, maybe even teams.
- Just because an analysis has been created for a Pokémon doesn't mean there's not more to discover!
- Don't post in-thread complaining about which Pokémon or movesets I've chosen.
- Don't post suggestions for next week's Pokémon in the thread, but feel free to PM/VM me to make suggestions : )

A few things to clarify:

- You can sign up as late as you want, but the week will always end on Saturday.
- Early phase means the first three days of research week, so theorymon is allowed during this period. Afterwards, during the late phase, please keep theorymoning to a minimum. Discussion and raw evidence should be the basis of this thread during the late period.
- Discussion is mandatory to become the winner of research week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the Pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences regardless of whether you think you've got a chance to win or not.
- And as always, have fun!

In order to participate you must do the following:

- Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as RW cyan!)
- and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be researching.
- Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
- Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
- Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us!

This week's Pokemon!
Toxicroak
Rotom-N

Week 2 Deadline: Saturday, September 30th at 9 PM GMT -4

Last edited:

cyanize

Week 1 - neomn
Week 2 - ???

Last edited:

cyanize

Week 1 Pokémon

Mesprit - An old ORAS favorite that's a bit under the radar, the classic jack-of-all-trades. It's got a lot of tricks up it's sleeves, so don't be afraid to experiment!
Scrafty - An unique typing for the tier and interesting abilities give this 'mon qualities that no other Fighting-type in the tier possesses, but it hasn't really ever had a chance to shine. It also has quite a few possibilities to be explored, so give it a spin!

Last edited:
ok so here is some theorymons.

btw I made a wonderful alt going by the name of RW KING, guys this is kinda meant to be a ladder competition, dont forget that

Mesprit, as we know, can run a stupid amount of sets with crazy amounts of coverage. I handpicked some, with the help of GOAT Z+V that looks cool in the current metagame.

Starting with Calm Mind 3 Attacks.

This set is very customizeable. Both Ice Beam and Dazzling Gleam look like pretty cool options, Ice Beam letting you pressure e.g. Rhydon harder, and Dazzling Gleam mainly to hit Guzzlord, as well as hitting Houndoom and Incin neutrally. As for the 4th move, HP Ground looks solid, as it can hit Togedemaru and Lix harder.

Mesprit @ Fairium Z/icium Z/Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam/Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Calm Mind

Next up, SubCM.

Picking two on SubCM mons is usually a tough shout. here we think Signal Beam looks the best. (Lets you Pressure Bro and Dark Types) Ice Beam is definetly legit as you fail to hit Steelix with the 2 current moves and Ice Beam is neutral. Another Option here is HP Ground to hit Steel types in general.

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam/Ice Beam/Hidden Power Ground
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Another cool one looks to be Offensive Rock Setter.

With this, you have a rock setter that easily pressures both Xatu and Golbat and nice Healing Wish utility. Life Orb is here the best item by the looks of it, though Icium might work too. (stole it from the old man)

Mesprit @ Life Orb/ Icium Z
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock

The myth. The legend. Defensive Rocks.

Suprisingly good at taking hits, and again Healing Wish is great utility. U-Turn is nice on Bulky mons to get momentum

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock

Last up, Scarf.

Outspeeding Scarf Emboar is all you really need as Timid only enables you to Speed Tie with Scarf Braviary and Medicham, which doesnt seem like its worth the 10% loss in power. This can get a beautiful quick healing wish up, can grab momentum, and clean some teams. Looks quite hot honestly.

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Healing Wish

I might add some more extensive descriptions, like what impact it can really make and what its niches are above other mons that can do the same sets.

Last edited:
Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Crunch
- Rest
- Drain Punch / Sleep Talk

Cro- sets are becoming more and more common because of their effectiveness on some Pokemon. Scrafty is a perfect option because of its extremely respectable bulky stats on top of decent typing. Shed Skin allows Scrafty to have a 33% chance of dropping status at the end of the turn, giving the possibility of dropping the standard Sleep Talk that is ran on Cro- sets. Sleep talk can be run as a more reliable option as well.

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Modest/Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam
- Dazzling Gleam

A slightly more standard Mesprit set here, I played around with this and had fun with it when I first got into NU.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I didn't end up laddering for this due to limited desktop access (I've been on my phone for most of this week), but I played a few games on my main alt and I have a really nice core to show off to you:

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry / Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Ice Beam / Signal Beam
- Stealth Rock / Signal Beam

Barbaracle @ Rockium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Razor Shell
- Return
Barbaracle is seriously busted, and HWish support allows it to get off a sweep after being used as a wallbreaker early game. The team I was using is honestly a lot better on paper than it was in practice; it had some jank shit like TBolt stallbreaker TSpikes Weezing on it (this set is 800x better on paper than it is in practice), but yeah I paired it with stuff that could wear down and pressure the opposing team throughout the match with lots of hazard pressure as well as hard-to-switch-into Pokemon like LO+4 attacks Whimsi and Roost+3 attacks Vikavolt, with the ultimate aim being to weaken Barbaracle's biggest roadblocks by both pressuring them early game by getting Barb in a lot of times (and by pressuring Pyukumuku+Xatu cores with the jank Weezing set) and then to clean up right as they thought they were safe by HWishing it back up later on. Honestly this core is really insane to both use and face, so I do recommend it, and I'm sorry for not being able to take part in the mini laddering comp that this project is attached to.

Last edited:

cyanize

Well, the week was a tiny bit extended! (blame my mom zz)

Since neomn was the only one who actually has rank on his RW alt, he wins by default. Grats! (By the way guys, don't forget this is primarily a laddering competition. Be sure to post your alts and stuff, m'kay :] )

Thanks, everyone, for your contribution!

Week 2 Pokemon!

Toxicroak - A former UU resident that has fallen from grace a bit, but has a lot of unexplored potential thanks to it's unique STAB combo, access to physical and special setup, and of course Z-Moves.
Rotom-N - Another ORAS NU staple that has fallen to the wayside in favor of shiny new toys, but still is quite the potent pivot and spinblocker. I've personally enjoyed WispHex with Ghostium Z, but you guys see what you can come up with!

Week 2 Deadline: Saturday, September 30th at 9 PM GMT -4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)