[NU RMT] Team I Am The Walrus (Peaked at #1 on CAP NU Ladder)

Hi its me again D-A. After having a butt load of success in pretty much every tier with semi and heavy stall there was one ladder i hadn't done well with stall on and that was NU (and ubers but i dont care for that). NU stall is extremely hard to use, not only because the best Spikers in the tier recently went UU (Cloyster and Qwilfish) but the offensive Pokemon hit really hard. Due to this fact i felt weather stall was going to be easier to pull off as it wears down powerful sweepers fast along with entry hazards. In the end i went with hail because of Walrein being near unstoppable once it gets a sub up and so this this team is based around the cute, fat, awesome, fearsome Walrus.

CAP NU Ladder
1. D-A (1,642.64) <--moi
2. FUZZNIP (1,580.55)
3. PLUS (1,540.64)
4. MASTER12345_NU (1,527.36)
5. THE REAL ELMO (1,514.13)
6. HEYSUP (1,487.18)
7. CLASS (1,481.06)
8. REACHZERO (1,469.72)
9. SCEATS (1,446.42)
10. MONKEYMIZZLE (1,420.18)
11. TOSHIMELONHEAD (1,400.44)
12. LUPHROUS_NU (1,393.95)
13. VOICEOFREASON (1,390.30)
14. GENGARX777 (1,371.03)
15. JOLTEON17 (1,356.10)

Anyhow, this wasnt its peak (i think it was like 1680.something but i got haxed) anyway ive been very pleased with this team and id like your help smoothing over the rough edges. ^^

Team Overview

Team In Depth

Sandslash (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

Sandslash is a pretty cool lead and ensure he beats the majority of physical leads with ease. Stealth Rock going up early ensures broken crap is kept in check pretty well right from the get go. Earthquake is for STAB so obviously isnt getting replaced whilst Stone Edge compliments it coverage wise and hits guys like Pinsir etc. Rapid Spin gives me a good probability that Stealth Rock WONT be up early for them which gives Walrein and Snover ALOT more breathing room. Sandlash is also my Skuntank counter and his rock resist help alot too. Additionally his electric immunity goes along way when dealing with junk like Magneton and what not.
~~~

Roselia (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/80 Def/176 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Rest
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball

As the best Spikers in the tier recently got moved up there wasnt much to really use here. Cacturne was my first choice with a bulky Synthesis/Encore/Spikes/<Attack move> set but i soon figured this would be dumb as in hail Synthesis doesnt heal much so he went. Pineco and Omanyte were next to be tried. Pineco has Pain Split whilst Omanyte has cool normal resistances and the defense stat of Celebi. In the end however i went with Roselia, firstly because Toxic Spikes were a complete ass to me so sucking them up is great. Secondly it hits all the good Spinners very hard thanks to its base 100 special attack and lastly Natural Rest abuse is just great so Roselia was ensured a place. Spikes is my next and last layer of residual damage and once those are up Walrein enjoys shuffling them around with Roar to wear down its counters. Energy Ball is for stab whilst HP Fire is for coverage, that and it hits Magneton and other grass types well. Rest as said is for healing. For those of you in doubt, Roselia takes hits pretty well on the special side failing to be 2hko'd by both Magneton and Haunter which is pretty cool. Its numerous resistances also let it come in rather easily especially on set up fodder like Quagsire. The evs arent that specific, max hp enough to take special hits decently and a sprinkle in defence to help coming in on stuff like Quagsire EQ's.
~~~

Dusclops (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/106 Def/152 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Will-o-wisp
- Seismic Toss
- Rest

Dusclops is my anti spin and using this highly unorthodox set he really is an MVP who has stopped me getting swept numerous times as ill explain in a minute. Will-o-Wisp and Seismic Toss are a standard fare to cripple physical sweepers, add to residual damage and to stop pursuit users and just do damage respectively. Curse however isnt standard and it needs explaining so you can understand its use fully and no its no "zomg noob!" before you ask haha. Anyways Curse is a great move to have around. Ever found yourself stuck against Cradily, Miltank or Curse Quagsire as the last pokemon and you are unable to PHaze it ? Well those days are over. Curse creates a pseudo status affliction which makes the target loose 25% of its health each turn so even if the foe heals its still very screwed. As a cool little side not, Curses CAN be stacked and the damage increases with 25% with each successful Curse i pull off. So 2 Curses and the foe lose 50% of their health, 3 = 75% and 4 they get OHKO'd. Rest is for healing as Curse comes at a high price, it costs you 50% of YOUR health so it really helps in that regard. Dusclops has alot of S.Def evs for the rather broken Venomoth.
~~~

Snover (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP/88 Spd/172 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wood Hammer
- Leech Seed
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Snover is here for one reason and one reason only. To start the omnipresent hail that makes Walrein so hard to handle activating its ice body ability. Snover also makes amazing death fodder lol. No really it does, if i predict sleep, unsure of what my foe is gonna do this is my go to guy. =P Leech Seed is cool to wear down things in hail with hazards up and Protect is so sap health, stall with hail damage etc. Wood Hammer is its most powerful attack and really helps with Slowking and what not and lastly Ice Shard is just as some priority and helps finish low health sweepers. Really though i could prolly do with a more offensive spread since Ice Shard does like 2% damage. :/ lol Anyways, these evs arent really over specific they just let him take resisted special hits well really and the speed evs are for something which i have forgotten actually lol. Snover is pretty meh though but he is vital.
~~~

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 212 HP/46 Def/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Surf
- Slack Off
- Psychic

As i looked over my team i noticed how annoying fire types were so i threw this guy in to take special hits and to also help with Medicham etc capitalizing on its useful resistances. Toxic is my status of choice as if i Toxic something bulky Walrein WILL have its way with it. Surf and Psychic are for stab and the latter hits fighting types and stops junk like Vileplume getting in for free. Slack Off is amazing and THE reason this guy is used, 50% instant healing is just awesome. Not a whole lot to say here other than Slowking is awesome as heck. =P
~~~

Walrein (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 220 HP/240 Def/48 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Roar
- Protect
- Ice Beam

The star of the team. If this gets in a sub then you know about it because it outstalls your whole team if your Walrein counter doesnt have leftovers. Even then you need to have a VERY specific way of dealing with it, if you cant break its sub you will be PP stalled with ease and even then you have got to have a recovery move to even go toe to toe with this thing or ill just Roar you away until the hazards build up on your counter. If that wast enough, Walrein still isnt going anywhere. The only things that remotely stop this is Encore, Taunt, a faster phazer and thats basically it lol. Ice Beam is chosen over Blizzard for the extra pp and Roar is because it stops other slower phazers and lets me rack up entry hazard damage against my check or counter. Roar also stops baton pass chains and stat uppers i.e the usual stuff.

NU Threat list (credit to Brawler1235)

No color = my team has little or no trouble with this pokemon
Green = My team has some trouble with this pokemon. It usually means sacrificing one member to take it out.
Red = This pokemon is a threat to my team. If left unchecked, it could sweep my whole team
Ampharos: Roselia for the most part, Snover can also take T-Bolts.
Armaldo: Sandslash. Clops owns the spinner.
Articuno: Dusclops puts a stop to sub roost with Curse. Walrein can Roar in a pinch.
Banette: Walrein does well and so does Slash actually. I usually find myself setting up on this mostly.
Bastidon: Slash, Rose sets up Spikes. Clops can also burn.
Bellossom: Rose, Snover cancels out sun.
Bibarel: Walrein does well. Roaring away its crap.
Cacturne: Snover brings in hail and then its all a matter of outstalling it and prediction to avoid the Sucker Punch with Roselia.
Camerupt: Slowking
Charizard: Slowking
Chatot: Slowking and Ice Shard.
Chimecho: Slowking, Clops etc.
Clamperl: Slowking
Cradily: Curser loses to Curse Clops. Walrein can also nail it with ice beam in hail.
Dodrio: Slash and Walrein can all take a hit at full health. Ice Shard also hurts it a bit.
Dusclops: I usually set up Spikes on this with Rose. Walrein can also sub in its face. My on Clops beats it with Curse too.
Elecrode: Snover and Roselia do well.
Entei: Slowking.
Espeon: Slowking, Walrein and Ice Shard.
Exeggutor: Snover does ok actually and it cancels out the sun. Takes alot of prediction to beat however.
Flareon: Slowking.
Floatzel: Snover, Walrein, Slowking.
Gardevoir: Major idiot. Not only does it trace Ice Body, but specs hurts. :/ I usually have to outpredict this.
Glaceon: Walrein, Slowking etc.
Gligar: Walrein, Slowking.
Golduck: Walrein, Slowking.
Gorebyss: Walrein, Slowking. Snover stops rain.
Granbull: Clops and careful prediction.
Grumpig: Clops, Walrein and Slowking all do rather well.
Haunter: Have to hail stall this and not let it set up. All of my team can take one hit at full health however. I can also Shard it.
Hitmonchan: Clops, Slowking.
Hypno: Clops, Slowking.
Jumpluff: Let Snover take sleep then Roar it. Ice shard hurts it alot too. Snover and Rose wall this.
Jynx: Walrein used Roar! Slowking does good against the non sub minders.
Kangaskhan: Revenge with Walrein and Slash mainly. That and just hit it with what ever is in lol
Kecleon: Spikes set up, Slash and
Kingler: Walrein does well. That and Slowking. Also dont let it set up.
Lapras: Walrein, Snover and Clops do ok.
Lickilicky: I usually set up Spikes on this and/or SR. Walrein can Roar it and Slowking can Toxic. Clops beats it too.
Linoone: "Dont let it set up". Walrein gets easy switch ins on users of Memento however so i can easily Sub and then Roar this.
Magcargo: "lol" Slowking
Magmortar: Slowking
Magneton: Snover and Roselia. Sandslash does ok too.
Manetric: Annoying as hell. I have to outpredict and wear it down with hail. Slash does ok as a last ditch.
Mantine: Spikes fodder. Slowking weak too.
Marowak : Dont let it set up. Slowking can revenge and Ice Shard does something. Walrein can outspeed most i have found.
Medicham: Clops + Slowking
Meganium: Spikes fodder. Also Roselia walls it and Clops beats it.
Miltank: Slash, Rose can set up reasonably well. Walrein can Rosr Curse and last poke cursers are owned by Clops.
Mr. Mime: Slowking, Roar.
Muk: Slowking, Walrein, Slash.
Ninetails: Slowking does well.
Noctowl: Umm set up fodder for everything.
Persian: Clops, Walrein and Slowking do well.
Pinsir: Slash
Politoed: Toxic from Slowking.Set up on it with Rose.
Porygon2: Offensive is a nipple. However i can beat it with Clops usually. Slowking can Toxic in a pinch.
Primeape: Clops and Slowking at full health.
Probopass: Slash, also Spikes fodder. Surf also hurts it.
Quagsire: Roselia, Snover and Toxic. Curse also beats Resters.
Raichu: Dont let it set up and Roseila and Snover do great.
Rampardos: Slash.
Raticate: Dont let it set up let hail wear it down with burn orb and also Ice Shard.
Regice: Walrein can Roar it. Clops beats those Charge Beam ones. Snover can seed it.
Relicanth: At full health Slash, then i have to hail and LO stall it.
Sandslash: Clops blocks spin and Roselia does good too.
Sharpedo: Walrein
Shedinja: lol
Shuckle: lol
Skuntank: Slash
Slaking: Prediction + Clops.
Slowking: Toxic, Roar and Snover. Rose also does ok without Psychic or Beam.
Tauros: Clops.
Torkoal: Surf.
Typhlosion: Slowking
Ursaring : Dont let it set up.
Venomoth: Clops. =[
Victreebel : Hail stall it and outpredict sucker punch with Snover/Rose. Also dont let it set up.
Vileplume: Roselia. Walrein also outspeeds and Slowking can Psychic in a pinch.
Wailord: Slowking. Roselia and Snover do well too.
Walrein: My own Walrein can Roar. Dusclops can Curse. Roselia outstalls one without an Ice move. Slowking outstalls those without Toxic.
Whiscash: Slowking, Walrein. Annoying though.
Xatu: Slowking, Clops, Snover and Walrein.
Zangoose: Clops and dont let it set up. Slash also does well.

I noticed Skuntank solves alot of my problems, Haunter, Eggy and Gardy all get owned. However i dont know where to fit it without taking something vital out.

Anyways thats it, thanks and rate away and even though i have now retired this i hope together we can sort out those last few niggling weaks. ^^

Wow mate, amazing team! Ive been looking for the teams weak spot for a while now and the only thing that looks like it would give you serious trouble are the tracers p2 and gardevoir as you mention in your threatlist and specseggutor (typical) as it can easily switch in on everything but walrein under hail(no attack evs on snover?) and start throwing around leafstorms and psychics.

Also, one thing i really like about this team is how little you rely on snover. If he is knocked out then it is incredibly easy to set up another weather condition that can ruin your stallrein and throw boosted surfs an high powered solarbeams at your team which doesent really contain any spectacular walls.

All in all though, this is one amazing team that looks very well built. I cant really advise anything to fix the afore mentioned problems apart from skuntank who can easily stop practically every threat i just mentioned. However as you said before theres nothing you can take away from the team without creating an even bigger weakness to something else =/.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
You basically only have one counter to Taunt Skuntank, which is worrying, particularly as your EQs are easy to see coming and they can switch in a Ground immunity. Also, you have a massive weakness to LO Magmortar, as it 2HKOs everything on your team and you don't have anything which outspeeds it.

SubDD Lapras shreds you also - you can Roar it away though, I guess. I would recommend Grass Knot on Slowking for better coverage than Psychic.

I would recommend the use of Hyper Fang over Ice Beam on Walrein. This would help with your EXTREME DD / Sub Lapras Weakness, as it can literally walk over your entire team. I am not saying it will gurantee that you succeed against him, but it certainly will help.

Cloyster ( Who is now UU... Shame ehh? ) Would have been the -perfect- DD Lapras counter. Too bad. D:

Good luck! Team looks fantastic!

As everyone said before, this is an excellent team. NU stall is very hard to pull off, but you certainly have managed, so congratulations.

Your "red" threats from the threat list are covered pretty well by a Skuntank. I think bringing Skuntank in would help your team out a lot, it would just require a change in the focus of the team. At the moment I think the biggest source of weakness is your Snover, who you just sacrifice every match because Roselia and Slowing (and even Walrein) make much better switches into Water types. Snover's only purpose is to set up Hail for Walrein to abuse its set, and perhaps add a tiny bit if damage onto offensive Pokemon through hail. However, Walrein is just as good a defensive Pokemon without Hail. In NU, 110 / 90 / 90 defenses are pretty absurd, so going with a non hail reliant set is a good move in my mind. In addition, using a RestTalk set would allow you to deal with status (especially Sleep) a little better. This means you dont lose the "status absorber" that Snover was. You can keep Roar to be an excellent Phazer and keep set up Pokemon on their toes, so its going to play like the RestTalk Roar Gyarados set that is fairly popular in OU. Here is the set I had in mind:

Walrein @ Leftovers
Bold / Thick Fat
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp. Def
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Roar
-Ice Beam

Still a great NU wall. By making this change, you can afford to drop Snover and run the Skuntank that would help you out so much. Skuntank checks your biggest threats and can be a nice check to a lot of Pokemon with its very powerful Sucker Punch. In addition, Taunt is a huge help in NU to stop the opposition from setting up or to help you against opposing defensive play. Here is the set I had in mind:

Skuntank @ Leftovers
Adamant / Aftermath
252 Attack / 232 Sp. Def / 24 Speed
-Taunt
-Sucker Punch
-Pursuit
-Poison Jab

This change is about the only way I can think of to deal with your Ghost / Psychic weakness, so I hope this helps!

Wow mate, amazing team! Ive been looking for the teams weak spot for a while now and the only thing that looks like it would give you serious trouble are the tracers p2 and gardevoir as you mention in your threatlist and specseggutor (typical) as it can easily switch in on everything but walrein under hail(no attack evs on snover?) and start throwing around leafstorms and psychics.

Also, one thing i really like about this team is how little you rely on snover. If he is knocked out then it is incredibly easy to set up another weather condition that can ruin your stallrein and throw boosted surfs an high powered solarbeams at your team which doesent really contain any spectacular walls.

All in all though, this is one amazing team that looks very well built. I cant really advise anything to fix the afore mentioned problems apart from skuntank who can easily stop practically every threat i just mentioned. However as you said before theres nothing you can take away from the team without creating an even bigger weakness to something else =/.
Yeah Eggy is a pain, but i can usually play around it with Rose + Slowking.

Thanks man anyway.

You basically only have one counter to Taunt Skuntank, which is worrying, particularly as your EQs are easy to see coming and they can switch in a Ground immunity. Also, you have a massive weakness to LO Magmortar, as it 2HKOs everything on your team and you don't have anything which outspeeds it.

SubDD Lapras shreds you also - you can Roar it away though, I guess. I would recommend Grass Knot on Slowking for better coverage than Psychic.
Nothing beats Magmortar 100% anyway in NU. Slowking is the best we have to check it and its a fine check.

As for Lapras, it really has never been a problem. Walrein craps all over it with Roar, it even struggles with Snover and Slowking tbh. Ill consider Grass Knot though.

Sandslash is my primary check to Skuntank and who cares if they switch ? Isnt that what a counter or check is meant to be able to do, force them out ? If they switch ive done my job and i foece them to take residual damage. Not only that but Walrein comes out on top vs Skuntank too with ease due to its immense Defense. If it Explodes (massively easy to predict) ill go to Clops.

Thanks for the input though.

I would recommend the use of Hyper Fang over Ice Beam on Walrein. This would help with your EXTREME DD / Sub Lapras Weakness, as it can literally walk over your entire team. I am not saying it will gurantee that you succeed against him, but it certainly will help.

Cloyster ( Who is now UU... Shame ehh? ) Would have been the -perfect- DD Lapras counter. Too bad. D:

Good luck! Team looks fantastic!
I dont really like Hyper Fang without Brine (i need Roar) since ghosts fully wall me and Hyper Fang is pretty easy to stop, that and it sucks when something is at low health. x[ Roar + SR is good enough to deal with Lapras and so is Slowking and Snover. Thanks though.

As everyone said before, this is an excellent team. NU stall is very hard to pull off, but you certainly have managed, so congratulations.

Your "red" threats from the threat list are covered pretty well by a Skuntank. I think bringing Skuntank in would help your team out a lot, it would just require a change in the focus of the team. At the moment I think the biggest source of weakness is your Snover, who you just sacrifice every match because Roselia and Slowing (and even Walrein) make much better switches into Water types. Snover's only purpose is to set up Hail for Walrein to abuse its set, and perhaps add a tiny bit if damage onto offensive Pokemon through hail. However, Walrein is just as good a defensive Pokemon without Hail. In NU, 110 / 90 / 90 defenses are pretty absurd, so going with a non hail reliant set is a good move in my mind. In addition, using a RestTalk set would allow you to deal with status (especially Sleep) a little better. This means you dont lose the "status absorber" that Snover was. You can keep Roar to be an excellent Phazer and keep set up Pokemon on their toes, so its going to play like the RestTalk Roar Gyarados set that is fairly popular in OU. Here is the set I had in mind:

Walrein @ Leftovers
Bold / Thick Fat
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp. Def
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Roar
-Ice Beam

Still a great NU wall. By making this change, you can afford to drop Snover and run the Skuntank that would help you out so much. Skuntank checks your biggest threats and can be a nice check to a lot of Pokemon with its very powerful Sucker Punch. In addition, Taunt is a huge help in NU to stop the opposition from setting up or to help you against opposing defensive play. Here is the set I had in mind:

Skuntank @ Leftovers
Adamant / Aftermath
252 Attack / 232 Sp. Def / 24 Speed
-Taunt
-Sucker Punch
-Pursuit
-Poison Jab

This change is about the only way I can think of to deal with your Ghost / Psychic weakness, so I hope this helps!
Yeah, i may try this but hail really helps wear down stuff and heals Walrein and all. Snover is definitely the weak link however so im willing to test this.

As for Lapras i explained why it isn't an issue for me for the previous quote(s).

Anyways, that has given me alot to think about thanks alot guys i really appreciate it.

I'm not sure how well this would work, but you could run Lapras instead of Walrein if you did go with Friar's idea of resttalking, because 130/85/95 is pretty solid defenses as well, and I believe you still get the jump on most Marowak (runs that don't run speed, idr how high Marowak needs to EV to outspeed since it is Lapras 60 to Maro 45). Lapras also has Perish Song for PHazing usage and to stop last poke sweeps alongside clops.

I also noticed that if you run Skuntank, a combination of it and Hitmonchan can clear out the majority of both your red and green threats on the threat list. I suppose you could run a bulky Hitmonchan kind of like the one I've seen Plus run in NU, but have Mach Punch on there to beat frailer stuff like Kanga and Cacturne. In this case however you lose Phazing capability, unless you want to run Roar somewhere on Skuntank.

Hope I somehow helped.

leech seed

this is a great team. i have but one thing to add. have someone know leech seed. After they use leech seed switch in walrein. after every turn he will gain health from leech seed, leftovers and from ice body. once u get a sub up and use protect he is utterly unstoppable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)