NU Socratic Seminars

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello all! For those of you unaware of what a socratic seminar is, it's an age-old tradition where a proctor asks open-ended questions to a body of people for the purpose of generating quality discussion. We'd like to bring that same idea to our NU room on PS with our own take on the seminar.

How will this work?

A host will post in this thread when we are planning to hold a seminar and explain the open-ended topic. From there, the public will submit more specific ideas about the topic in this thread. The host will collect all of these ideas into a list and use them as a guide for the discussion. Posting your ideas in this thread is the only way to guarantee we will talk about it, but there is always room for additions during the discussion. Note, though, that if your idea isn't very coherent or relevant to the topic, the host holds the authority to exclude your idea from discussion.

Today's topic: Sneasel suspect
Ideas:
charizard586930297 - Pursuit is broken and is the main reason sneasel should be banned
dialga64829021659 - The metagame is too offensive for sneasel to be considered broken
foonguss8735124648 - Sneasel is only good because people don't run stuff that punishes knock off

Why are we doing this? Can't we just have discussion in the PS room normally?

We're slowly moving into an age where less and less people are interested in forum-based discussion. However, that does not mean that we should be moving away from structured discussion, but instead remodel it. With the change in mentality, we believe this is a great way to keep people involved in structured discussion that engages them with some of the tier's top players. Room events are also great ways of bringing the community together for something fun that everybody can learn from.

And for those curious, these events are considered pretty important community events and participating in them in a positive way does contribute to further promotions (room promotions especially, but it's great padding for a ladybug or community contributor badge as well.)

Past Discussions

none yet

Current Discussion

Sunday, January 14th at 7 PM EST (GMT -5): Post-December Usage stats metagame.

none yet

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For posterity's sake, I will be hosting a seminar tomorrow Sunday January 14th at 7 PM EST (GMT -5.) The topic for the seminar will be about the metagame post usage shifts.

Be sure to submit your ideas for the discussion if you want to be guaranteed to talk about them. If we don't get enough submissions I'll fill out the list myself with some ideas.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
I think we should talk about the Seismitoad rise in particular because it has seemed to have the biggest impact on the NU meta, and a lot of the community seems to agree (source: NU room poll)

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
Hi, I'm gonna be hosting another Socratic Seminar on the 31st of January, at 7:30pm GMT-5. The seminar will be focused on the state of the metagame, post-tier shift; and the role / influence of meta-defining Pokemon in the tier. See you there!

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I will be hosting a seminar this Sunday February 4th at 5:00 PM GMT-5.

The seminar will be focused on something we don't often discuss in official channels: Theorymonning. More specifically: "How would the metagame look with / without _______?" For this time around please focus your thoughts on Emboar, Sneasel, Xatu, and Heliolisk. If this format is a success we can look into different Pokemon in the future.

If you're lost and have no idea where to begin here are a few questions to kick-start your thinking: Which Pokemon would increase in viability? Which Pokemon would decrease in viability? Are there any sets on these Pokemon that become more or less viable? Are there any team archetypes that benefit from this change? Are there any that are hindered by this change?

Last edited:
I have a few I’d like to hear. Has the tier adapted to Sneasel staying at this point? What was the most ideal meta thus far in SM/USUM NU? Is the tier too matchup based? And a wild theorymon idea; would unbanning anything from BL3 benefit the tier? (cofagrigus might not be terrible as the rest. Aromatisse was handled fine and a Medicham check would be nice.)

Reactions: asa

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I will be hosting a seminar this Sunday February 4th at 5:00 PM GMT-5.

The seminar will be focused on something we don't often discuss in official channels: Theorymonning. More specifically: "How would the metagame look with / without _______?" For this time around please focus your thoughts on Emboar, Sneasel, Xatu, and Heliolisk. If this format is a success we can look into different Pokemon in the future.

If you're lost and have no idea where to begin here are a few questions to kick-start your thinking: Which Pokemon would increase in viability? Which Pokemon would decrease in viability? Are there any sets on these Pokemon that become more or less viable? Are there any team archetypes that benefit from this change? Are there any that are hindered by this change?
Sorry for the short notice, but this is going to be pushed back a few days. Most of the people I've talked to would rather watch the super bowl than talk about Pokemon for a few hours, so sorry to those of you who don't care about American football. I will update you all when I've decided upon a new time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)