Of Flames and Fists (OU RMT)

Hello everyone. I've posted a few RMT's before... all offensive. Now, I have another RMT. The idea of this team came about, from me commonly using a MixApe, as a wallbreaker. I then saw the NastyPlot MixApe, and belived it had potentual.

So, I made this team, and it's opening lot was great. I got a +7 streak with it, before losing due to Quintuple (x5) Parahax in a row -_-. So far, I'd say this team has had a 90% sucess rate, tearing both offense, and stall, to shreads.
..........................................................................................................

The Lead

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Explosion

A Scarfed Heatran lead. Madness! No, actually, it's not. I often use Anti-Leads, with ultility outside the lead position. This Heatran defeats all other leads on a regular basis, reliably, except Sashed EQ'ers who don't set up rocks on turn 1, and Roserade, who takes a hit, and Sleep Powders. Heatran is my check to things such as Scizor, and a Gyarados who's managed to get in. Gyarados forces me to explode, but losing 1 pokemon is better than losing all 6.
---

Rotom-h @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/168 Def/88 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Will-o-wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Overheat

Ah, Rotom, people first looked at it, and it was cast into UU. Originally, the forms were thought to be UU, as far as I know. (That's what Serebii says anyway) Now, combined, the forms are 9th in useage. This oven is used to help open a window. Many times when I predict a switch, with the oven in play, the result is a burned Scizor, or Tyranitar. And, soon after, a dead one. The burn also gives my 2 'finishers' a chance to set up.
---

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Grass Knot
- Recover
- Earth Power
This Celebi is a little... strange. It has Rocks. Well, this Celebi is a supporter. It clears the bulky waters, and, when a Heatran is telegraphed, clears that out too. Earth Power hits several things that Grass Knot cannot hard, such as Steels, and Poisions.
---

Cresselia (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/60 Def/152 Spd/44 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
Cress useage has been dropping recently, as stall falls. Well, in my team, Cress is not a staller, despite having NO attacks whatsoever. Cress is my main-set-up pokemon. Both Infernape and Lucario are weak defensivly. Cress can take most hits quite well, let alone behind screens. Cress can heal up to allow itself to set up a second time. Thunder Wave is crucial. Fast threats, and scarfed pokemon no longer are a threat to my sweepers with this move. Sometimes, Cress comes in, Thunder Waves, heals up, and goes out without screens, if the time isn't right.
---

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 64 Atk/192 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
Primary Sweeper #1, and Wallbreaker. Behind Screens, and with all of the switches this thing causes, getting a Nasty Plot up is easy. Infernape dosen't worry about 2HKO or missing as much behind the screens. Infernape's goal is to destroy physical defenders. Bulky Waters, Steels, and Ghosts all fall to it's powerful special attacks. A several times this has won me a 6-0, due to ripping Blissey to bits, and then sweeping the remainder of the team, all before screens fade.
---

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance
We all know of Lucario's force. Swords Dance is basically GG right there, unless you're packing Scarfed Rotom-H, Gengar, or Gliscor. Lucario's downside is it's low defences. That's where the screens come in. In addittion, Lucario and Infernape form a combo like the 'Double-Dragon' combo of Salamance+Dragonite, but more deadly. The 'counter' may be able to handle one, but both? Add in the factor of crippled pokemon by Thunder Wave, and Burns, as well as Screens, and damage Infernape has done, and Lucario sometimes wins me games early, not late. I've had no problems getting 2 Swords Dances if things go well, Dancing on the switch, and on a hit, due to screens, before proceeding to obliterate everything. For some reason, I am semi-often needing to bring Lucario out early, be it because Infernape is not the right choice at this point, or, there is an opening for a SD. In this case, I often find myself Paralysed, but still sweeping somewhat with ES.
---

Please rate this team, I wish to know of any little things that could be done to improve it.

Hey, this is a pretty good team. It seems your goal is to sweep with screen support. I'll try to help you do that.

First, I would suggest removing Heatran from the lead spot. First, he isn't beating several common leads such as Metagross. Being your main revenge killer, he will be switching in constantly and thus will be taking constant damage from sr. By taking damage from the opponents lead, he won't be able to switch in as often. I also don't see why you use him to counter Gyarados and Scizor when Rotom-h makes for a perfect counter to the two and doesn't risk a OHKO when he switches in. In it's place I would simply move in Celebi. Celebi is a very unpredictable pokemon and should have a easy time getting stealth rock on the field which is very useful early game. It is suggested you do not add HP Fire if anyone suggests it latter on in place of Earth Power. The main reason is because Celebi will need a significant investment in SAtk to OHKO Scizor. I would give Celebi CM but can't due to it having sr. Earth Power can prove to still be useful though, being able to hit predicted Heatran switches. Another option would be Reflect or possibly even U-turn. I would also consider Leaf Storm in place of Grass Knot to deal more damage to common leads that take neutral from Grass such as Aerodactly and Azelf though it isn't required.

Next I would suggest replacing Infernape for Tyranitar. Tyranitar happens to share very common counters as Lucario. By having one of your sweepers weaknes up the counter, the other can take it down and then procede to sweep your opponents team. Also, the combination of these two is very hard to stop and when factoring in Lunar Dance, almost impossible if played correctly. If you want a better idea of how to play this combo check out Astamatitos' team.

Tyranitar@ Babiri Berry
Jolly
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
-DD
-Crunch
-Stone Edge
-Fire Punch

Tyranitar is quite the powerhouse late game. Babiri Berry will prevent the likes of Scizor from revenge killing and proves to be useful early game. Fire Punch will let Tyranitar hit said Scizor as well as other Steel types for SE damage. Jolly is the prefered nature as it gives you just enough speed to outrun base 115 after a Dragon dance. Crunch and Stone Edge provide dual STAB and very good coverage in OU.

I would give Lucario a Adamant nature with Crunch. Jolly causes him to loose quite a bit of power and Ice Punch has almost no use nowadays since pretty much every Gliscor is faster than Lucario and Salamence is almost always max speed. Crunch will let you have a way to hit Rotom-A and the likes of Celebi and Dusknoir. It can also hit Gengar on the switch which may happen often since Lucario probably won't use SD on the first switch.

Finally, give Cress Psychic in place of T-wave to allow her to counter Infernape.

Good Luck.

hmm this is an ok team,

first heatran

359 Atk vs 216 Def & 364 HP (95 Base Power): 169 - 201 (46.43% - 55.22%)

this is your heatran vs a standard occa metagross, unless they switch out expecting a overheat (although once they see you flamethrower instead of overheat youre in a bad position, even specs flamethrower cannot OHKO meta with occa). note how he can survive the flamethrower, this heatran also lacks a way to beat swampert, who can also use earthquake. infernape can use close combat to cripple tran, and can immediately tell that your heatran is scarfed and can switch accordingly

if you want a better antilead heatran, use the specstran,

Heatran@Choice Specs
Flash Fire
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP Timid/Modest
Overheat
Hidden Power [Grass]
Dragon Pulse
Earth Power

overheat OHKOs hippo and meta through occa, hp grass destroys pert, and the other two moves for coverage, of course this reduces your ability to beat gyara (which cel and cress check anyways) but its a much better antilead

rotom: use 148 speed EVs, since that will let you outspeed max speed jollytar, right now you barely lose to a max speed adytar, as well as any scizor EVd to beat adytar

celebi and cresellia are ok, i use a very similar celebi myself, but make sure you watch out for status on cresellia

your two sweepers are fine

some weaknesses: TYRANITAR
this makes it absolutely critical that you change rotoms EVs. sure infernape and lucario will love seeing tyranitars ugly face but it all but walls heatran, pursuits rotom who cannot really hurt it besides burning it (rotom will die), pursuits celebi, who cannot damage ttar without SpA investment, and pursuits cresellia while moonlight has reduced healing. scizor can also be a pain for your two supporters

DDmence
a +1, earthquake KOs 3 of your guys, including both your sweepers (mence also resists every move on infernapes set) and outrage can do the rest easily, right now your best bet is to take some hits and revenge kill with lucario (which isnt good at all)

you lack a status absorber, anything firing off thunder waves cripples this team very hard

how do i propose fixing this?
first, rotom must have those extra EVs

you also need a better check to salamence
without changing any pokemon, the move i would change is celebis earth power and use thunder wave there,
at the moment celebis the only thing mence can set up on (but very viable at that) so if you use thunder wave there, there is nothing mence can set up on, except maybe infernape but FB does like 50% or close to that. earth power isnt really covering much that wont be crippled by twave, and celebi wont be matched up with heatran a lot (since youll be running away)

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Problems:

Gengar

How to fix:

I guess the only solution I might suggest would be a slapping Scizor on the team and letting Infernape finish the match. A CB Scizor can solve this problem easily. Although, Lucario is your main late-game sweeper, Infernape can replace it; but I'll explain later:

Scizor
@ Choice Band
Adamant Nature (Atk+ / SpA-)
246 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe

- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

This should be a good replacement in that place, allowing yourself to check Gengar alone. The scouting really help for a team like this, attracting physical walls like skarmory and giving Infernape a free Nasty Plot boost. U-turn is so amazing for this team, I suggest spamming it early. Not only that, Scizor can trap Latias, freeing up Infernape for a sweep. Latias counters Infernape so badly, and Scizor can make great synergy with Infernape. Overall, the team is very solid with a great idea behind it. Consider a Scarf on Rotom too, to further check gengar which can sometimes run HP Fire. To beat opposing leads, I will highly suggest a Choice Specs Heatran at a Modest nature, Overheat is capable KOing Metagross with Occa. Gl with the team!

I would have to agree with Franky's suggestion for a Scizor for three reasons. One is the Gengar weakness Franky already pointed out. The second is that your team is extremely Tyranitar weak. After one DD, it outspeeds and OHKO's everything on your team. Scizor would help check both of those sweepers, while still providing priority and some excellent scouting abilities, thanks to U-turn. The third reason is that your team is also extremely weak to DD Mence. If it gets in a DD, it's basically gg. I don't believe Cress or Celebi die to a +1 Outrage, but what can they really do against Salamence? Scizor would help a little, as it can easily deal at least 50% damage to a Salamence. If Salamence is locked into outrage, Scizor can easily come in and kill with Bullet Punch thanks to the residual damage. I also agree with Franky that you should put Scizor over Lucario.

What I really don't get is why you have Cresselia on the team. It doesn't really help with anything. Even with Daul Screens, Infernape and Lucario are still pretty frail. I would suggest changing it to Blissey. Blissey can be fantastic special wall, and combined with Celebi you have a good defensive core that is hard to take down. It also can provide wish support for Rotom-H, helping it take Will-O-Wisped attacks a lot more. This is the set I would suggest:

Blissey
@Leftovers
Calm Nature (+Spdef, -Atk)
4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Sp.Def
-Protect
-Wish
-Flamethrower
-Toxic

The nature and EV's provide a fantastic physical wall, while the defense EV's will help take weak physical attacks. Protect does three things. It can help scout for Choiced moves, like if a Scizor will use Bullet Punch or Superpower. It also stalls out the wish turn. Third, it provides some extra leftovers recovery. Wish can heal Blissey, and provide support for your teamates. Flamethrower hits Lucario and Scizor hard, who are both common switch-ins. Finally, Toxic can help wear down Special Attackers.

Well, hope I helped!

P.S. I don't really get how this team tears stall into shreds. You only have two real attackers. Infernape can help, but any good stall team will be prepared for one.

This team looks really solid, but I have a few suggestions.

As stated earlier, I believe that Lucario should leave for Scizor, as it is a solid choice in today's metagame, scouting the opponent's team for Pokemon that can beat Infernape with U-Turn. Also, I believe you could benefit from another screen user, and he's already in your lineup. Celebi is a really prominent screener, and makes your goal much easier to achieve. With all this support, an Infernape sweep won't be hard to pull off!

Hope the team works better with my rates.

-Lord Liam

Status Absorber is Celebi, Natural Cure. Cress also takes status, as it dosen't mind a burn/para. Heatran and Lucario can take Toxics.

Summary of changes to be considered, tested, and made:

Lucario and Scizor. I'm not a massive fan of Scizor, but, I do understand where you guys are coming from. Scizor does defest Latias, and T-Tar, although, this team hasn't faced many of either as of yet, for some unknown reason. Scizor would be less effective in stopping a Gyarados Sweep, due to BP being resisted, but, Gyarados shouldn't get many chances to switch in anyway.

If I make the Scizor switch, I guess a Scarfed Rotom would be the best idea, as it would be my best check to a DD Gyarados. I MIGHT decide to use Rotom-C if I go down this route, due to me already having 2 powerful fire-type attackers. Rotom would also carry trick a Hidden Power, as Infernape is a natural Wallbreaker. HP Ice may be good, to hit Salamances

Cress, I'd rather leave as it is. It's great at crippling threats, setting screens, and tanking weaker hits. I might consider Lunar Dance over Moonlight, as with only Infernape as a 'main sweeper' I might want/need to use him twice.

Celebi, there are many things I could do. I could give Celebi a screening move, but that would be somewhat redundant, as Celebi conveniently resists 'Ape's weaknesses, besides Flying, which is hardly used in OU. Personally, I like using Rocks on my Celebi. As for Earth Power... my team actually has no other Ground-Type attack. Earth Power is good to help counter SpecsJolt, hit Heatran switch-ins hard, and steels. Still, I might consider some of the other moves, even Heal Bell might be worth a look, to rid status.

Heatran. The idea with it is to abuse the trend of First Turn Rocking. I also wanted to be able to defeat other Heatran leads, ensuring the OHKO with Earth Power, and outspeeding. I might look at SpecsTran, and try it out, specially if I make Rotom Scarfed.

@Loedoc: Infernape with +2 special Attack OHKO's most walls. Blissey falls to a single CC with Life Orb, and Rocks in play. Meanwhile, few other walls will take a +2 STAB attack, let alone do anything back while Infernape is behind screens. About the only thing that stops it is Latias. Most things that resist Infernape's Moveset are too weak to take a boosted attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)