SM OU Of Mermaids and Dragons

Team Preview :

Introduction

Hello GingerNinja here, welcome to my first Sun and Moon OU RMT featuring choice specs Primarina.

After a long break from the OU meta, I thought I would build fresh around my two favourite starter Pokemon Primarina and Charizard X together.

This was a fun team I enjoyed playtesting and battling with, I decided upon the final additions to my squad recently and began testing and experimenting to find the best balance. The team itself has changed only a little over the design process.

I'm not really sure how to improve this squad, still tossing up a few ideas in my mind. I have found Buzzwole to be a tad hit and miss in certain situations, having tried both the Focus Punch set and the Roost + 3 attacks variant to no real success, I opted for a simple clean 4 attacks Buzzwole.

I have also been contemplating a max speed Priamarina just for Venusaur and Magnezone, am unsure If I really need it here at the end of the day.

Open to any suggestions advice on how to improve the lineup.

Good STAB combination and high Special Attack make Primarina a powerful wallbreaker and combined with Choice Specs, gives Primarina even greater wallbreaking potential allowing it to damage a variety of threats in the game.

Primarina has impressive special bulk combined with resistances to Dark, Bug, Ice, Water, Fire, and Fighting and an immunity to Dragon which allow Primarina to check and threaten many common OU threats such as Keldeo, Latios, Weavile, Charizard X, Gyarados, and Heatran on its own.

While Primarina has less than impressive physical defences it can check threats physical threats like Weavile and +1 Mega Charizard X by virtue of its typing alone whilst firing off high powered attacks.

Mega Charizard-X is a great asset to the team and a good partner for Primarina which can handle electric types and grass types which may counter or hard wall Primarina and forces them out while Charizard can get chip damage or a free Dragon Dance. Charizard-X is one of the teams many answers for electric types like Tapu Koko, Raichu, and Magnezone, along with Ferrothorn, Latios and Yache Landorus-T in my lineup.

Primarina aids Charizard-X in dealing with many of the prominent physical walls in the meta such as Landorus-T, Tyranitar, Slowbro, Garchomp which Charizard-X greatly appreciates.

Charizard also helps the team handle Charizard Y which Primarina struggles with in switching in directly.

With Ferrothorn, Primarina, and Mega Charizard-X, I have a classic FWG core as well as a DFS core. The defensive synergy and utility Ferrothorn provides for Primarina and Mega Charizard-X is the reason Ferrothorn was included, and together, make a nice core for balance protecting the two very well.

Ferrothorn punishes volt-turn as it resists both moves and can set up hazards to deter switches or weakening switch-ins with Leech Seed which the rest of the team appreciates.

Latios was added in the fourth slot for that much needed defog support and that all important Fire, Grass and Electric resistance. Latios resides in a great Speed tier, allowing it to outspeed and check many threats such as Garchomp and opposing Keldeo. In addition, it has a great Special Attack stat hitting targets hard, making life easier for team mates in general.

Purely because Charizard is on my team, a defogger or spinner is absolutely necessary. Latios is here to preserve offensive momentum while providing Defog support, and being a hard-hitter in general. I opted for the Scarf Defog set to have for revenge sweeping.

Buzzwole was added as my firth team member. Sporting resistances to Ground, Bug, Grass, Dark and Fighting are fantastic while also being incredible on the physical side of the game, both on the offensive and defensive sides of the spectrum, thanks to its stellar 107 HP in conjunction with its outstanding 137 Attack and Defense, it can hit alot of the metagame hard thanks to its rich coverage options.

Landorus T was added as my initial pivot for momentum and for a reliable Rocksetter in general. Landorus-T's superb typing gives him immunities to Electric, and Ground, two very potent offensive typings, and resistances to Bug, Fighting, and Poison.

Landorus-T's defensive potential is also commendable allowing Primarina and friends to safely come in while also checking many of the physically orientated pokemon in the metagame with high physical defences + Intimidate.

Team Description

Primarina (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast

Max Special Attack with a Modest Nature was chosen to maximise the damage output with choice specs, while 84 Speed EVs allow Primarina to outspeed base 70 Speed Pokemon with no investment, such as Skarmory and Mantine with the remaining to maximise its bulk.

Hydropump and Moonblast were taken respectfully dealing great damage to most of the metagame and hitting targets like Heatran, Marowak Alola, Landorus, Latios, Mega Gyarados, Keldeo and more with its powerful STAB combination.

Psychic was chosen over Ice Beam or Energy Ball allowing it to break Toxapex, Amoonguss and M-Venusaur, all three of which are pretty prominent, giving it a niche over Tapu Fini which lacks the psychic coverage.

Hidden Power Fire was the only reliable option left to hit Ferrothorn and Sp def Mega Scizor, who otherwise wall Primarina completely and cause minor issues.

Charizard-Mega-X (F) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance

Dragon Dance simultaneously boosts Mega Charizard X's Attack and Speed, allowing it to sweep weakened teams. Flare Blitz in tandem with Tough Claws provides ridiculous damage output, capable of OHKOing many foes unboosted and severely denting almost everything in the metagame at +1.

Maximum Attack investment was chosen to hit as hard as possible, and a Jolly nature is used to outspeed Jolly Choice Scarf Landorus-T, Jolly Choice Scarf Excadrill, Choice Scarf Kyurem-B, and Modest Choice Scarf Keldeo as well as speed tying opposing Charizard-X.

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Because of the nature of my lineup, I was looking into a secondary hazard setter who also could complement Primarina and Charizard and Ferrothorn became it, because of it's synergy with Charizard X and Primarina, this me something that could switch into Electric, Water, Grass, Normal, Fairy, Steel, Dragon, Rock, Psychic, Poison which both Primarina and Charizard appreciate.

The given EV spread with a Relaxed nature gives Ferrothorn substantial mixed bulk, allowing it to take strong hits both physically and specially. Ferrothorn is reliable setter of Spikes due to its combination of good bulk, great typing, and ability to beat common entry hazard removers such as Excadrill, Latios, Latias, Starmie, and Tapu Fini.

168 Special Defense EVs give Ferrothorn enough special bulk to survive two Ice Beams from +3 Manaphy while 88 Defense EVs let Ferrothorn avoid the 2HKO from Jolly Life Orb Excadrill after Stealth Rock damage while having a very good chance to avoid the 2HKO from Adamant Life Orb Excadrill at full health.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Draco Meteor is incredibly strong even without a boost and thus is Latios's main move for revenge killing. Psyshock allows Latios to slip past specially defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Assault Vest users who can stomach a Draco Meteor comfortably.

Defog removes entry hazards from the field in a pinch and can be used more reliably after Tricking Latios's Choice Scarf to a foe, providing invaluable support to teammates that despise being worn down by entry hazards such as Charizard. Trick allows Latios to cripple defensive Pokemon such as Chansey, Celebi, and Clefable by locking them into only one move while allowing Defog to be used on the turn following.

252 Speed EVs alongside a Timid nature and a Choice Scarf enable Latios to outspeed threats such as Swift Swim Kabutops in rain, Shift Gear Magearna, +1 base 100s, and many prominent Choice Scarf users with a lower base Speed stat than 110.

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 192 HP / 200 Atk / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Superpower
- Leech Life
- Ice Punch

Beast Boost, transforms Buzzwole into a terrifying sweeper with a pseudo-Moxie activating everytime it faints an opposing pokemon, in addition to sustain through leftovers, Leech Life is a consistent STAB. Leech Life deals damage vs Psychic, Grass and Dark types whilst recovering 50% of the damage inflicted, Superpower is standard fighting STAB that deals heavy damage to what ever it connects with; Ice Punch is mandatory in order to break through Landorus-T, Garchomp and Zapdos while Thunder Punch deals with threats like Mantine, Skarmory, Celesteela, Gyarados and the like.

116 Speed brings Buzzwole up to 223 speed outspeeding 56 Speed Ev's Rotom Wash, standard defensive Landorus T, Modest max speed Magnezone, Adament max speed Tyranitar.

I opted for Four Attacks Buzzwole to damage a variety of threats and while its hard walled by Alola Marowak, I have dedicated team mates who can deal with it because Thunder Punch coverage is fairly important to the lineup.

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 26 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Landorus is the stealth rocker and the pivot of the team. Landorus aids the team overall as it punishes opposing volt-turn teams.

Many physically orientated dedicated threats in OU get hard walled by lando thanks to Intimidate + its high physical defence which Primarina appreciates. Intimidate also helps with checking physical threats threats like Charizard X, Terrakion, Mega Scizor and more.

Stealth Rock also help tremendously, as they pressure double switches of threats which could overwhelm the team.

26 Speed Ivs allow me to underspeed the common 27 IV speed and faster Landorus giving me momentum advantage with U-turn allowing for the safe passage of pokemon like Primarina

Importable

Primarina (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast

Charizard-Mega-X (F) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 192 HP / 200 Atk / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Superpower
- Leech Life
- Ice Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 26 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Threats

With fantastic base stats and a large movepool with a wide range of coverage options, Hoopa-U is difficult to switch into and predict early game and has an excellent matchup against alot of my team depending on the set and coverage taken.

Its blistering Speed allows Pheromosa outspeed the whole OU tier bar Choice Scarfers. In addition to its amazing speed, its Offenses are a powerful 137 each. This allows it to be an unpredictable force to be reckoned with. This pokemon can be a threat to the team stealing early momentum from bad calls or early misprediction.

Choice Scarf sets can be hard to deal with Late game due to it outspeeding Scarf Latios and + 1 Char X.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)