Team at a glance:
mew.png
megatar.png
zone.png
tang.png
glisc.png
gren.png

Introduction:

Hi, I'm erza, I'm new to Smogon forums (I actually don't know why I didn't do an account before but anyway), and I wanted to share a team that I built during the OLT, it's easily my favorite one, and maybe the best I've ever built. When I wanted to build around it, Balance was clearly dominant, and I wanted to test Mew as a balance breaker, and there it is.

Teambuilding Process:

mew.pnggfrezd.pnggfrezd.pnggfrezd.pnggfrezd.pnggfrezd.png

I started the team with Double Dance Mew, this mon is excellent atm, it's good against some Bulky Offense with Helmet Torn or AV Tangrowth, as Mew can setup on it fairly easily, it's monstrous against balance too, thanks to Nasty Plot, just for an example, it can destoy Reuniclus on the switch, can setup on Clef that think it's Defensive Mew, it can also setup on weaker moves, such as HP Ice from Scarf Lando, or Mega-Tios without Draco, the only things that can counter Mew are Mega-Tias and Alomuk, Mega-Tias can be overwhelmed easily, and Alomuk doesn't have any form of recovery.

mew.pngmegatar.png
gfrezd.png
gfrezd.pnggfrezd.pnggfrezd.png

So here I added Mega-Tar, as said before, the only things that can counter Mew are Mega-Tias and Alomuk, Mega-Tar can Pursuit-trap Mega-Tias, and can cheap Alomuk with Sand + Pursuit, and this mon is an amazing Rocker and Pursuit trapper in the tier atm, it walls Blacephalon which is kinda everywhere on HO teams rn. It can also force some Choice users to lock themself into a fighting-move, so Mew can actually setup pretty easily, it can check non-Corshcrew Crash Heatran too, which is good in the meta.

mew.pngmegatar.pngzone.pnggfrezd.pnggfrezd.pnggfrezd.png

I added Magnezone here, it's a great support for Mew and Mega-Tar, as it can trap mons such as Ferrothorn, Celesteela and Mega-Scizor for them, it can also revenge kill Mega-Pinsir if there is no Webs.

mew.pngmegatar.pngzone.pngtang.pnggfrezd.pnggfrezd.png

At this point, the team was really weak to Ash-Greninja, Zygarde, Mega-Gyara, Rain in general, etc... So I putted Tangrowth, it's a good Water-resist and Zygarde check for the team, Tangrowth also like the presence of Mega-Tar to Pursuit-trap Mega-Tios.

mew.pngmegatar.pngzone.pngtang.pngglisc.pnggfrezd.png

Every team need a Electric immunity, I added Gliscor, it's a good Defogger, which is necessary for Mew, a second Heatran check is good too, it can switch-in on Toxapex's Scald, it can lure in many mons, such as Tangrowth, Tornadus-T, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela. Mew can setup on the former two (If Torn is Helmet) and Gliscor likes Magnezone's ability to trap Ferro and Celesteela, also it can force Lando to lock itself into HP Ice for Mew.

mew.pngmegatar.pngzone.pngtang.pngglisc.pnggren.png

Here, the team was really slow, so I added Greninja, it gives me another pivot, a revenge kill to many things with a Choice Scarf, like Ash-Greninja, Mega-Zam, Scarf Lando-T, DD Zygarde, Volcarona. It also likes the presense of Magnezone to trap Ferrothorn, it gives me Spikes too, which is always good to have in the current meta.

Sets:

mew.gif

Item:
mewnium.png

Ability:
Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest
Moves: Psychic - Aura Sphere - Nasty Plot - Rock Polish

Pretty classic set of DD Mew, I'm using Aura Sphere over others moves such as Fire Blast or Earth Power because I have Magnezone to trap Celesteela and Mega-Scizor, so no need for Fire Blast, and Earth Power is okay, but don't OHKO Tyranitar. So I use Aura Sphere, it can OHKO Greninja after Stealth Rock without Nasty Plot, so this is always nice. Nasty Plot to turn mew into an incredible wallbreaker and Rock Polish to clean games.

tyranitar-mega.gif

Item:
megattar.png

Ability:
Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Nature: Adamant
Moves: Stealth Rock - Pursuit - Stone Edge - Superpower

Classic SR Mega-Tar to trap Mega-Tias and weaken Alomuk, except for the last slot, I'm using Superpower over EQ and Fire Punch for the simple reason of Reflect Type Mega-Tias can wall my entire team, Superpower still hits Heatran, and still weaken Magearna, and no need Fire Punch when I have Magnezone in the back to trap some Steel-types. Stone Edge is obviously here to hit Zapdos, Tornadus-T and is a nice STAB.

magnezone.gif

Item:
scarf.png

Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
Moves: Thunderbolt - Volt Switch - Flash Cannon - HP Fire

You could go for a Specs Magnezone if you really want some power, but the Scarf helped me more than once, especially against Serperior and Mega-Zard-Y, still a really classic set to trap Steels. Thunderbolt for the STAB and hit Celesteela and Skarmory, HP Fire for Ferrothorn and Mega-Scizor, Volt Switch to keep some momentum, Flash Cannon is a secondary STAB to use against fairy like Lele or Bulu.

tangrowth.gif

Item:
av.png

Ability:
Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Nature: Sassy
Moves: Giga Drain - Knock Off - HP Ice - Earthquake (or Sludge Bomb)

Assault Vest Tangrowth is the next addition to the team, not using Helmet Tang, or else I'm just to weak to Ash-Greninja. Giga Drain is the STAB and hits waters, Knock Off is just nice to remove Leftovers from the like of Clefable, a Shed Shell from a Skarmory or a Weakness Policy from Zygarde, HP Ice allows you to beat Zygarde 1v1, Earthquake let's you hit Magearna, and Sludge Bomb have a better match-up against Bulu, but you'll be too weak to Magearna, so this is an okay choice on some match-ups, but that's about it.

gliscor.gif

Item:
torb.png

Ability:
Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 108 SpD / 112 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Moves: Defog - U-Turn - Earthquake - Roost

Defog + U-Turn Gliscor, while not common, is actually something that I like a lot in this team, it's a nice role compression between being a pivot, a Heatran check, and a Defogger, it can pull up some momentum against Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Mega-Tios and Tangrowth. The former two are trapped by Magnezone, and the last two are setup fodder for Mew (Only if Mega-Tios isn't Draco). The spread allows you to tank Play Rough + Sucker Punch from Mega-Mawile after Poison Heal, while outspeeding Heatran.

greninja.gif

Item:
scarf.png

Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Naive
Moves: Spikes - U-Turn - Ice Beam - Rock Slide

As said before, Scarf Greninja is here to add some speed for the team, being able to revenge kill Mega-Zam, Ash-Greninja and Volcarona. Spikes is nice in some match-up, but you'll not use it that often, U-Turn is here to grab momentum on Ferrothorn and Tangrowth, Ice Beam to revenge kill Zygarde and to hit Lando-T and Gliscor, Rock Slide can revenge kill Volcarona and regular Gyarados after the Stealth Rock.

Threats to the team:

I will add the threats later, I don't have the time right now.

Replays:

Don't have any replays rn, I'll try to get some and put them here.

mew.pngmegatar.pngzone.pngtang.pngglisc.pnggren.png

Thanks for reading! Please, tell me how I can improve the team, I'll appreciate that a lot.

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Hey ~erza! I think this team is really cool, and I personally think Double Dance Mew is a very underrated set that can break through a lot of balance teams that utilize Ferrothorn + Clefable.

=========================

Below are some specific threats that will help with suggesting changes later on:

Relying on Tangrowth and Greninja to check Ash-Greninja is very shaky, especially since they can be 2HKOed in the right scenarios. Tangrowth isn't the best counter if Stealth Rock + Spikes are up because it relies solely on Regenerator, while Greninja has to rely on U-turn to revenge kill Ash-Greninja.

Your only Steel-type on the team is Magnezone, so naturally, you're going to struggle to deal with powerful Psychic-types like Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele. The only Pokemon that Mega Alakazam doesn't OHKO or 2HKO is Tangrowth, while nothing wants to switch into Tapu Lele's dual STAB (unless you predict well).

Once Tangrowth is weakened or in range of +2 Superpower, Tapu Bulu has a superb matchup against your team. Ice Beam from Greninja has a minimal chance to 2OHKO (none if they have Protect), and nothing else outside of Tangrowth appreciates switching into Horn Leech. Serperior can get really annoying once Tangrowth is weakened, as you rely on your Choice Scarf users to revenge kill it (Magnezone can only pick it off once its weakened while Greninja can get Glared).

You have good ways to revenge kill Zygarde, but switching into it is really problematic. Tangrowth is 2HKOed by Outrage, which it can use versus Magnezone or Gliscor, and you can't pivot around it well due to the lack of Fairy-type. Mew and Greninja can pose a threat, but neither can safely switch into Thousand Arrows.

Below are my suggestions in order to improve your team:

>

Magnezone is cool to trap Steel-types, but I believe your team will appreciate Heatran's ability to better deal with Psychic- and Grass-types. I'm opting for a specially defensive set to better handle these two, and thanks to Protect, you can also scout against Choice Scarf users like Kartana and Greninja. Heatran can also still pressure Pokemon that Magnezone would trap, such as Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Celesteela, and Lava Plume + Toxic + Protect can help you out a lot as a lot of people's current answers to Heatran don't appreciate status.

>

Tapu Bulu gives you a better answer against Ash-Greninja and Zygarde than Tangrowth, two huge problems to your original team. Tapu Bulu also forms an extremely solid core with Heatran due to their perfect type synergy and dual Protect is really annoying to deal with. Furthermore, Grassy Terrain is extremely helpful for Tyranitar to weaken Ground-type moves from the likes of Landorus-T.

Fire Blast > Aura Sphere
Because I did remove Magnezone, your team isn't trapping Steel-types like Ferrothorn, Kartana, and Scizor anymore. Fire Blast is a better coverage move than Aura Sphere in general because it hits a wide array of Pokemon super effectively - the only things you really miss out on are Dark-types, which you can weaken with the rest of your team. Being trapped by Tyranitar sucks, but it's currently not super common and you can pressure it before setting up quite well with the rest of your team.

Toxic > U-turn
U-turn is very nice to have for momentum, but currently, your team is very weak to Hawlucha and you have no real way of punishing opposing Landorus-T. Toxic is a cool option here to put opposing Flying- and Grass-types on a timer and prevents Hawlucha and Tapu Bulu from setting up on your face freely; it's also cool to try and punish Serperior if it attempts to switch into your Defog.

Optional: The team has a somewhat shaky matchup against opposing Z-Move Heatran, so if you'd rather deal with it more reliably, I'd recommend trying out Hydro Pump > Spikes on Greninja and/or Earthquake > Superpower on Tyranitar (which also lets you hit Toxapex). If you feel like the Heatran matchup is fine and prefer hazard stacking, then feel free to keep Spikes, but I would personally make the aforementioned changes since your team is pressured by hazards.

(click me!)

Above is an importable of the team with my changes. There weren't many changes, but I do believe that your team plays better and deals with current threats more reliably than it did before. There are some Pokemon that you have to watch out for, however;
is a nuisance if it is Steelium Z, especially if it finds the right opportunity to KO Gliscor.
becomes much scarier with the removal of Tangrowth and Magnezone; Scarf sets can be played around with dual Protect on BuluTran, but try not to give Band sets a free switch-in.
also does become a bit more annoying because Magnezone was removed, so be careful when it's paired with a breaker.

Good luck with the team, and PM me if you have any questions! :toast:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)