SM OU Offensive Peaked 1626 after changes #70 on OU ladder

I am looking for some advices as I just restarted playing. I tried to build a team for this new gen, but I had to battle a lot to know the new meta and starting to remember powers and abilities changed in the meantime.
My first real OU chance was this one. After a while, I started winning, but I feel like the team is still unbalanced and misses something, for sure a viable spinner/defogger, even if I feel like it is not mandatory like in the past.
Main strategy is to "open the field" for the two main special sweepers, AshGreninja and Pheromosa, possibly with rock assistance. After a boost and with Focus blast, Pheromosa has chances to Ohko even Chansey, being my most common wincon.

*** After some changes, the team improved a lot, making me laddering. After some training with the meta, I was able to deal with some of the most usual threat, such as Tapu Fini, Chansey and MegaZardY ***

Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Perfect partner for Pheromosa for its ability, it does its work very well, sometimes even avoiding attacking and just providing priority immunity. Good in every 1 vs. 1 with other Tapus and winning a lot of "terrain war", I changed with twisted spoon its item. As my team struggles to find good switch-ins to ZardY, my best answer is to sacrifice Lele in order to deal massive damage with Psyshock, by far its best move. Main point remains priority immunity.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earhquake
- Ice Punch

One of the best mega, one of the most used in this gen, as I see. Added EQ as move instead of Hammer Arm to face better mirror matches. Being a steel type, it is also one of my best defensive answers to Tapus. Extremely weak to Greninjas, force switch to Ferro. Meteor Mash is its mandatory move, as it helps with some prediction to take out Tapu Fini (best defogger this gen), keeping rocks and spikes on the field.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball

Mixed wall, stellar against physical threat, maybe leaves my team a bit weak to fire, but serve very well its role, being able even to avoid a Celesteela sweep by seeding it, and being on the same time perfect check to unboosted Pheromosa, pre-Battle Bond Greninja, Landorus-T and a lot of common threats in Ou.
If I catch the right moment, it is also the spiker, adding extra-damage every switch and making Greninja and Phermosa set-up easier. Still wondering if Thunder Wave is still that useful.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken

(When I started, I thought it was about to be my favourite this gen; i liked from the very first moment I saw it as a starter past gen, and I was really happy it gained this boost now).
I still choose Extrasensory instead of the U-turn to try to deal also with toxapex after Battle bond is activated, sometimes predicting switches. Faster than almost anything, good priority user when there's not psychic terrain on field, it Ohko Lando-T and opposing Pheromosa, being able to both wallbreaking or clear the field. After adding Ferro on the team, it begun my perfect late-game sweeper. Dark Pulse OHKO MegaMetagross, givin best chances for Pheromosa to swweep later without a priority user.

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Very useful, and that's why a lot of people uses it now. Intimidate user, Jolly nature to be quicker, it is also by rock setter; Rock Z-Move deals a lot of damage to other Landos, OhKo Pelipper avoiding condition for Kingdra to destroy my team. With SD it is more threatening, as it become able to check both Tapu Fini and Ferrothorn. It is slower than MMetagross that easily kills it with Ice Punch. Standard set I guess.

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Star of the team as predictable, I decided to use it to replace my first idea: Xurkitree. With a Sash and as quiver dance user, 9/10 gives the last shot to opposing team, expecially after having ko prioity users (or with psychic terrain) and possible scarfers. With Focus Blast it OHKO even Chansey after a boost with rock damage.
Apparently illegal in the tier, you have to be kinda smart to use it in the right moment and end the match, avoiding priority users. Sometimes useful even to stallbreak.

Last edited:
Hey FreddyGlass cool team, I have a few changes to improve your team. First of all I recommend changing a few sets, such as Tapu Lele's Specs, Ash Greninja and Pheromosa. You don't have a proper way to remove hazards to keep Pheromosa, so Focus Sash might be really useless, so I suggest a Choice Scarf on Pheromosa, because you don't really have a Scarfer or a proper way to deal with boosters, Giga Impact helps against Volcarona at +1. I suggest Twisted Spoon on Tapu Lele, so you can deal with stall in a better way without getting locked, and Taunt which helps alot, over Thunderbolt. As last small change is Choice Specs Greninja with Hydro Pump over Surf, and U-Turn over Extrasensory which isnt really needed and very weak before changing your form; Earthquake over Hammer Arm, hitting harder Heatran and Magnezone without any risk. This team is a very offensive one, and Spikes might be a very good add, so I recommend changing Toxapex for Ferrothorn, which helps with Spikes and it's a better way to deal with Tapu Koko. This opens up threats such as Heatran and Charizard Y. Earthquake on Metagross helps a bit and Thunder Punch is a solid option to deal with it, on another side Ferrothorn supports the team alot with those hazards up. I hope this helped, gl.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball

Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- High Jump Kick
- Giga Impact

HI and thank you for your answer.
Btw I reached even higher ranking, but still have the impressions it depends more on predictions than on the team I tried using Dugtrio over Greninja, and I'm now sure that try to ban Dugtrio was a total mistake :D

I will try every changes you suggested, expecially ferro over Toxapex (i was thinking about that also because of leech seed immunity) and "unlock" Tapu Lele with taunt. I am just thinking about Pheromosa. I want to keep it with Quiver dance ability, I'm winning too much with that.

I added

Ferrothorn of your set for Toxapex
Specs Greninja, but still with Extrasensory (won a match for it!)
Twisted sponge for Tapu, and it is really good.
Pheromosa the same, because I tried not to be locked.

Well, the team improved a lot Imho. The most important threat seems to be Tapu Fini as defogger, ruining a lot my strategy, as I don't have a good answer to sweep it quickly

Hey FreddyGlass cool team, I have a few changes to improve your team. First of all I recommend changing a few sets, such as Tapu Lele's Specs, Ash Greninja and Pheromosa. You don't have a proper way to remove hazards to keep Pheromosa, so Focus Sash might be really useless, so I suggest a Choice Scarf on Pheromosa, because you don't really have a Scarfer or a proper way to deal with boosters, Giga Impact helps against Volcarona at +1. I suggest Twisted Spoon on Tapu Lele, so you can deal with stall in a better way without getting locked, and Taunt which helps alot, over Thunderbolt. As last small change is Choice Specs Greninja with Hydro Pump over Surf, and U-Turn over Extrasensory which isnt really needed and very weak before changing your form; Earthquake over Hammer Arm, hitting harder Heatran and Magnezone without any risk. This team is a very offensive one, and Spikes might be a very good add, so I recommend changing Toxapex for Ferrothorn, which helps with Spikes and it's a better way to deal with Tapu Koko. This opens up threats such as Heatran and Charizard Y. Earthquake on Metagross helps a bit and Thunder Punch is a solid option to deal with it, on another side Ferrothorn supports the team alot with those hazards up. I hope this helped, gl.

Hi Enki.
As you can see I followed some advices, the team went really better, even If I kept some choices I made. As you "foresaw", now I have some problems with Fire-Types, expecially Mega Charizard Y, giving me few avalaible switch-ins, when used as a starter (most common use I see :D). MMetagross now has EQ for Heatran.

Btw It was for thanking you, what you've written was really useful, hope to return the favor in the future :D[/quote]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)