ORAS OU Offensive semi Trick Room - Peaked 1817 Elo

bloggif_559affba75eae.png

Helloo guys, today i’m posting my first rmt on smogon! I enjoyed building and laddering with the team, and i hope you will as well. I am not presenting the team as being the best ever, but i reached 1817 elo with it, and i think it’s decent enough to be used in tours. Above all, i find the team quite fun, and it’s really pleasurable to play something that is not so common and win (or not ._.) with it.

So the team is an offensive semi trick room based on a trick room setter and two bulky sweepers. The ladder screen is below, teambuilding process and team details come after, and the importable is at the end.
Have fun reading!

Teambuilding process :While creating this team, i wanted to reintroduce a core i used to play in XY : slowbro, ferro and sylveon. So i started with these three, already knowing how i would play them.

I tested a ton of pokemon to complete the team to no avail. Talonflame natural gift ground, medicham-mega, full trick room team with regular diancie, latios eq and hp fire, mamoswine, emboar…nothing worked. It was just after testing emboar i realized that a strong fire type attack greatly helps the team, since my biggest threats were scizor, skarmory and ferrothorn. So after plethora of unsuccessful attempts, i decided to put magnezone, to be pretty sure to trapkill them.

After that, i needed something to apply pressure against stall, setting rocks plus i was still lacking a ground immunity. So i chose gliscor, who fills all these functions.

The mega slot was not occupied yet, and i needed a pokemon that could boost itself, and i wanted a dragon type. I’m not sure if it was the optimal choice, but i chose altaria nonetheless.

The team :

bloggif_5591bee423eef.jpeg

Basically the most important pokemon on the team, fulfilling the roles of physical tank and trick room setter. The defensive investment gives him opportunities to set up the trick room, as he can switch in on almost any almost physical opponent. Once you set up the trick room, you have two possibilities: attacking with stabs or fire blast if the opponent is vulnerable, or switching out to sylveon/ferrothorn and proceeding with the butchery.

Other options: Slack Off, if you want to be sure to have enough staying power to set up trick room. Ice beam, for a different coverage: garchomp, landorus-t, lati@s. However, according to the threat list, i think both psychic and fire blast are way too indispensable to be replaced.

Calcs : 8 SpA Slowbro Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 316-376 (92.1 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
8 SpA Slowbro Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 244-288 (69.3 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
8 SpA Slowbro Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 248-294 (95.7 - 113.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
8 SpA Slowbro Psychic vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 168-198 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- 64.8% chance to 2HKO /!\

bloggif_55955ed778419.png

bloggif_55955a027b0e8.jpeg

The most fun set i have found on ferrothorn. People usually don’t except a choice band and it can 2HKO a lot of pokemon. Also, thanks to his multiple resistances, he may come and tank attacks from many common sweepers and counterattack with two super powerful stabs: power whip and gyro ball. Bulldoze completes the coverage by hitting steels (beware bisharp, bulldoze will boost his atk even though it 2HKOs him). Explosion is a good solution against pokemon that resist ferrothorn’s stabs. Stronger than gyro ball, it OHKOs almost everything in HO, assuming neutral damage.

Calcs: 252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Explosion vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 326-384 (109.7 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 240-283 (57.1 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 229-270 (71.7 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 342-403 (48.6 - 57.3%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 276-325 (101.8 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Explosion vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 300-353 (83.5 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

bloggif_55955913bfc36.jpeg

Sweeper special, it works much like ferrothorn. His stab is boosted by pixilate, rising up to 175.5 base power. Such as ferro, he can switch in on special attacks and resists many assaults thanks to his resistances. Psyshock and shadow ball completes the super effective coverage, hitting poison type and psy/steel pokemons. When i put hp ground i’m 100% sure to face a scizor in my next game and if i remove it for HP fire, i’m facing a heatran right after. I finally chose HP ground because magnezone already has HP fire but it’s really match up depending so choose yours and pray.

Other options: As i said, hp fire. Eventually baton pass on shadow ball for momentum.

Calcs : 252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Psyshock vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 214-254 (59.6 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 333-393 (87.1 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 280-332 (72.7 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (The offensive one is ohko’ed)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 220-259 (54.8 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 204-241 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

bloggif_55955b47e0ddc.png

So i’m innovating the meta with a two-moves magnezone I didn’t put the two last moves on the card because these are pretty obvious, thunderbolt and flash cannon, two strong stabs. The set is the most known and common, choice scarf magnezone, to trapkill annoying steel type pokemon. It runs speed for when the trick room is not set up.

Calcs : we all know them.

bloggif_55955ca07bd48.jpeg

The complementary pokemon, gliscor brings all the things my teams lacks: stealth rock, a way to stallbreak, and a permanent ground immunity. It fits quite well into the trick room, since it won’t be bothered by it. Gliscor is somewhat of an aberration on the team. he’s the only pokemon that can stay in for long periods without switching, momentarily breaking the aggressiveness of the team--aggressiveness you could immediately reactivate by switching. Beware the steel/poison pokemon that can set up (bisharp mostly) because Gliscor does not run earthquake!

Calcs: 0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 244 HP / 144+ SpD Gliscor: 240-284 (68.1 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 244 HP / 144+ SpD Gliscor: 266-316 (75.5 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

bloggif_55955bdf846ed.jpeg

His resistances helps against many threats and also offers him the opportunity to set up with dragon dance, allowing him to eventually sweep. Concerning Facade, Scald is an annoying move for the team; i can hardly switch Ferrothorn in on a scald even though he resists, and sylveon can't tank scald very well (same for will-o-wisp and lava plume). Plus i don’t have a hazard remover, so each switch is important and cost hit points. Thanks to facade, i can set up without switching and immediately kill the opponent. For example, when altaria faces mew/rotom-w, i dragon dance and he burns me. Subsequently, i can kill rotom/mew and cause serious damage to the next poke. Roost increases survivability and earthquake hypothetically hits steel, fire and poison type pokemon.

Other options: Return instead of facade, i guess. Fire blast over roost.

Calcs : 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 100-118 (32.5 - 38.4%) -- 98.6% chance to 3HKO (thanks to cloud nine)
252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 232-274 (58.8 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 307-363 (101.3 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Threats :

-Pokemon that are able to prevent slowbro from setting up the trick room AND to deal with both ferro and sylveon : Alakazam-mega, gengar, heracross-mega thundurus LO, gardevoir-mega…
-Venusaur-mega and amoonguss : They may both tank psyshock and psychic and then hit with a stab super effective move--explosion ferro is a good way to kill them.
-Certain types of stall teams, hazard spam + whirlwind, tornadus-t, scald, bisharp, charizard Y, crawdaunt, lopunny power-up punch and probably other pokemon.

Lead :

I usually lead with slowbro, to set up the trick room as soon as possible, but altaria and magnezone are also good to destroy certain threats.

Replays :
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-244980943 Standard usage of the trick room core.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-245000061 against a threat.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-245002218 I got a bit lucky here but i wanted to show you how the team deal with stalls.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-247202650 Cla (Crit on the keldeo didn’t matter)

Conclusion :

I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed using it. If you see any improvement that could be made in the team, please leave a comment :)

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Fire Blast

Ferrothorn @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Bulldoze
- Explosion

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 144 SpD / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Shadow Ball

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Facade

> Fake cards design made with www.pokemoncardmaker.org and additional features with paintbrush. Pokemon pictures took on google image and deviant art.

Huge thanks to :
Reverb for the syntax
GeeMick and Like me for their help in the build.
Myogui for being Myogui
Thank you for taking the time to read my post ;)

Gros orteil

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)