Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Going to say TB won that trade, just because of them gaining Wil Myers and other prospects, while still having Price, Helickson, and others in that rotation.

KC's Rotation

1- Shields
2- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
3- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
4- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
5- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis

Still shaky if you ask me, and the Royals could have used Myers in RF over Francoeur, who had a -WAR last season.

I'm just saying, but unless these prospects become MAJOR busts, TB won hands down, esp since the major piece of this trade is hitting his age 31 season next year.

"This move solidifies the Royals as a win-now franchise. However, from here, it just doesn’t look like they have a good enough team to actually win now. If the 2013 Royals follow the 2008 Mariners path to self destruction, this might be the last roster Dayton Moore ever gets to build.

If you’re wondering about this trade from the Rays perspective, they’re now a little worse than they were before this trade, but their winter isn’t over. They’ll replace Shields and Davis with worse pitchers, but they’re also freeing up roughly $10 million in salary, so if they reallocate that money to buy a +2 win player elsewhere — they still have a glaring hole at DH — then they very well might end up about as good overall as they would have been had they kept Shields. And, of course, they now control Myers rights for the next six years, and they have Odorizzi to maintain their pitching depth, and they got a couple of potential long term assets in Montgomery and Leonard for their trouble. This is just another terrific move by the Rays, pushing their present talent marginally down in order to provide a huge long term boost and keep the team flush with premium young talent.

Even though their team got worse in the present, Rays fans have to be thrilled with this trade. And even though their club got better in the present, Royals fans should be in mourning, because even after this exchange, the Rays are still the team with a better chance of contending in 2013, and now they’ve cemented a brighter future for themselves as well."

Just a bit of Dave Cameron's writeup that people should read.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Oh, I agree. Joe Maddon is a fucking genius, but how stupid does the Royals front office have to be? This is oddly reminiscent of a certain Phillies trade (albeit this KC/TB one is MUCH worse on the giving end) from 2011 that I still want to kill Ruben Amaro for...

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Reports are than Youkilis has accepted the $12 million dollar offer from the Yankees. I am very happy about this.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Reports are than Youkilis has accepted the $12 million dollar offer from the Yankees. I am very happy about this.
And RedSox fans rioted in the streets this day.

But seriously, why did we spend 12 mil on Youk when we could have kept Chavez for only 3 mil, unless we REALLY wanted to piss of BoSox fans

biggie

champ
Chavez proved he can't play every day, which is what's going to be needed until A-Rod gets back. Plus he showed some declining range at 3B and was never a solid backup at 1B, which we will need if (when) Swisher doesn't come back.

biggie

champ
Hamilton signs a 5 year $125 million dollar deal with the Angels. These payrolls are reaching astronomical, unsustainable levels.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
I'm going to laugh my ass off when the Angels fail to make the playoffs again in 2013. Big name signings/spending a shitload worked so well for them, the Dodgers, and the Marlins in 2012...

I do have to wonder what the Angels saw in Hamilton though, and why other GM's were apparently lukewarm about signing him (though the reasons for the latter are well known...)

I think people are criminally neglecting the fact that one of the best teams from last season just got infinitely better by addressing the only flaw they had: The Cincinnati Reds now have a potent lead-off hitter.

iono why people are so anti big signings. A lot of those players posted good value, actually, and teammates let them down. (granted obvious exceptions being like Heath Bell). short term they usually aren't bad.

realistically though, the Angels are just treading water. Hunter was great last year, and a better fielder than Hamilton, so it's not that much. They really need to win now, because they're gonna be handcuffed come 2016 financially.. (I say this moreso because they'll have so many people making so much money that they won't not be able to play them)

I just bought my dad a Hamilton jersey for his 50th birthday.. December 10th..

Damn you MLB. He says he's an Angels fan now lol

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
[youtube]aYJ4fpiPDPM[/youtube]
[youtube]DcxEHtzf0zA[/youtube]

Stallion and his little sister's reaction to Josh Hamilton leaving Texas

biggie

champ
I'll be interested to see how Choo handles moving back to CF, especially at Great American Ballpark. Plus, he's only guaranteed for one year, with his agent claiming that Choo will not sign an extension prior to testing the open market. It's a bit risky, given Stubbs' potential if he can ever fully harness his power and speed potential.

who knows what the finalized details will look like - we've heard just about everything about it, and the more people delay it, the more I can't believe it. I'm 99% sure AA wouldn't trade both d'Arnaud and Syndergaard for Dickey without getting anything substansial back.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
who knows what the finalized details will look like - we've heard just about everything about it, and the more people delay it, the more I can't believe it. I'm 99% sure AA wouldn't trade both d'Arnaud and Syndergaard for Dickey without getting anything substansial back.
AA is unloading buck and getting a backup catcher and some unknown prospect. i was kinda surprised too, i expected one of d'arnaud/gose/syndergaard to get traded with arancebia but oh well....

D'Arnaud + more for Dickey.... that's ridiculous.
I'm not too mad about this, because they're gonna get a 3 year extension on Dickey probably, and d'Arnaud will have to play amazingly to be worth more than 4 years of Dickey. It just seems kinda risky that they'd send two top prospects. I understand why the did it, the price just seems high though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)