Official NBA '17-18 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rockets are trash

Harden is never winning shit.
I mean let's be real here, Harden is not the reason they lost. Gordon was bad, Mbah a Moute was horrible, CP3 was bad until garbage time and his stats look better than his performance really was...

I also would not say Rockets are trash by any stretch, they just have the misfortune of having to face what is arguably the greatest team ever assembled. Not like that's the Rockets fault. Most other years this team would almost definitely make the finals.

Marc Stein said:
Word is that the Raptors quietly explored their DeMar DeRozan trade options last summer — before they had any inkling that a breakout season was looming — and I'd fully expect Toronto to explore those possibilities again. Not just with DeRozan but with anyone and everyone on the roster.

The Raptors, under the stewardship of the team president Masai Ujiri, typically move in a measured fashion. You have to think this summer will be different.
Under "Corner Three" here. Sometimes not making a move is the worst move to make.

JR Smith: 0 points, 0-7
Larry Nance: 0 points, 0-1
Rodney Hood: 2 points, 1-2
George Hill: 3 points, 1-3
Jeff Green: 6 points, 2-5
Jordan Clarkson: DNP-CD

Last edited:
JR Smith: 0 points, 0-7
Larry Nance: 0 points, 0-1
Rodney Hood: 2 points, 1-2
George Hill: 3 points, 1-3
Jeff Green: 6 points, 2-5
Jordan Clarkson: DNP-CD
Here in Brazil, when a player is horrible and the coach insists on him, we usually say: "the guy must be a very nice guy and pays beer for the whole team, because he is so damn terrible". When I see JR Smith playing, I want to be his friend. Because, he is a basketball black hole. He sucks up all the team's strenghts and all that remains is the most complete and absolute emptiness. He is a monstarr with no talent, no brain, no effort, nothing. 0-7, one assist, a fucking flagrant foul (we must be honest, it was a flagrant foul) and a depressing performance on D. But if JR plays, someone is guilty of it.

Tyronn Lue is one of the worst coaches I've ever seen in my entire life (and I'm 30+). He is not a coach, he is a cheerleader deluxe model. All he knows is stands in sideline clapping hands, shouting "let's go team" and watch the game passively, like a cow grazing and watching the life go by. Tristan Thompson and Kyle Korver helping LeBron and Love to build up the lead and he sits them FOR THE REST OF THE GAME SINCE HALFTIME. I don't know how much Cavs pays for him, but I can do a better job if they pays me the waterboy's salary.

Celtics 2-0 and Cavs feeling the ground fall around them. And Kyrie must be happy to see he is on a real team that doesn't need to be carried by him.

LeBron really was fooled by one good postseason from JR and TT to give them those deals smh. And yes, I'm still convinced that they didn't fire Lue because he and LeBron are tight.

Love deserves some credit, he has played fairly well. Overall though it's just bizarre, there was such a lack of effort on defense late in the game. Even LeBron was missing his rotations and would just stand there as Rozier or Brown took a wide open three. I understand it took a lot of effort for him to put up a 42 point triple dub, but where is the passion? It looks like it's all been sucked out of LeBron. Feels like he will definitely leave, the question is where?

I don't think there's anywhere he could go that would form a team good enough to beat Golden State. Even if he went to Philly and they somehow managed to keep the core together while trading for Kawhi Leonard, I don't think Simmons/Kawhi/LeBron/Embiid is better than Curry/Durant/Klay/Dray, mostly because that Golden State core works SO WELL together. Klay Thompson is the greatest 3rd option of all-time. Draymond is the ULTIMATE complimentary piece. Iggy is...the 2nd best possible complimentary piece. Their chemistry and selflessness is nearly unparalleled. Like, you could basically draft an all-star team from the entire non-GS NBA pool and you still might not win simply because the Warriors' system works so damn well.

LeBron just doesn't care enough to play defense anymore. It's been like that the entire season. He'd just rather put up numbers on the offensive end but I've mentioned (or rather, criticised him) here before because he likes to dominate the offensive end that everyone around him just becomes shooters waiting for that last pass (which has apparently frustrated some of his teammates). The main issue with that is that they literally cannot take him off as we've seen. His teammates just don't know what to do without someone initiating the offense and orchestrating everything, almost like they forget how to play basketball. It's why I've never seen him joining the Spurs a possibility. The Spurs like to move the ball and get everyone involved each possession, LeBron likes to get one teammate involved per possession, if he's not the one doing the scoring. LeBron is at his absolute best when he's surrounded by shooters because he can do it all offensively and find teammates to get them good looks, but oddly enough LeBron at his best is not the best for his team.

I give the Warriors a lot of credit for their selflessness. They honestly do not care who puts up the points as long as someone is. They don't care about individual legacy or individual stats, it's all about the team for them, and Kerr doesn't get enough credit for being able to get his guys to buy into it.

LeBron on the Spurs would be great because his skills could actually be used in a competent offensive scheme. Have you considered that the Cavs' offense is the way it is because of coaching? LeBron is not averse to running plays or a ball-movement heavy offense, he's done it before earlier in his first Cavs stint and with Miami. His team is just bad, the only other player that can competently run any sort of play is George Hill, and even he just kind of tends to dribble around, get double-teamed, and make a desperation pass rather than setting anything up. I absolutely attribute that to poor coaching.

I would love to see LeBron play in a role where he can afford to actually play off the ball, something that is absolutely not possible with this Cavs team. I think we could see him play a much different role in Pop's system in San Antonio. I could honestly imagine him averaging a triple double with San Antonio, something like 18/10/10 while playing better defense because he wouldn't have to be a one-man wrecking crew as often.

So he did it during the first few years of his career when he was nowhere near the player he is today and with Miami where he had two other All Stars. Kevin Love used to be a nightly 20-20 threat but since he's come over he's a shell of his Minnesota self.

Of course the coach deserves blame, but hey, Tyronn Lue is the guy LeBron chose to take over from David Blatt. You'd think that having him as an associate head coach for a few years would make LeBron realise that this guy is trash, yet he still wanted him to be the head coach. Maybe, just maybe, it's because LeBron knows that Lue is a pushover and won't get in LeBron's way. Why they didn't fire Lue will always puzzle me, and I can't think of another reason other than that they want to keep LeBron happy because Lue is his guy.

We all know Pop and LeBron have a ton of mutual respect for each other, but I think they both know that they could never team up because of these differences.

Awards finalists:

Rookie of the Year: Donovan Mitchell, Ben Simmons, Jayson Tatum
Most Improved Player: Clint Capela, Spencer Dinwiddie, Victor Oladipo
Sixth Man: Eric Gordon, Fred VanVleet, Lou Williams
Coach of the Year: Dwane Casey, Quin Snyder, Brad Stevens
Defensive Player of the Year: Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, Rudy Gobert
Most Valuable Player: Anthony Davis, James Harden, LeBron James

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Awards finalists:

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Awards finalists:

So Budenholzer chose Milwaukee over Toronto, and obviously nobody can blame him for wanting to coach Giannis over whatever they have in Toronto. I have to say, Toronto isn't very appealing for a head coach because they don't have a young (super)star in the making, their roster is facing a ton of uncertainties, they don't have many good pieces to work with, and you have to live in Toronto (though it's better than Milwaukee I'd assume). Apparently Budenholzer and the Raptors representatives met on Monday and he was their first choice, only that the Raptors felt like the feeling wasn't mutual.

D'Antoni didn't really do too much different but:

- they still ran isolation in general but had very quick decisions
- made more of an effort to beat the mismatch off the dribble rather than shoot over the top
- I think curry in general just played a worse defensive game
- ariza and paul made great defensive plays and steals
- also don't look now but the hampton five actually were a net negative
-
Draymond Green: 6 points, 6 rebounds, 6 asissts. i always knew he was the devil.

Moute really needs to sit out or just go for it. you're in the WCF. screw the shoulder.

Last edited:
Predictions/Wants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)