Official NBA 2010-11 Season Thread

Well, Lakers run is over.

Hopefully in the off season we can actually do something about our weak PG position. I hope fisher retires, he's hurting us.

Good job Mavs, i hope you get to the Finals.

Grizzlies-Thunder game 3, alternately titled "The Death of a Point Guard"

Lakers I think the thing you and all Lakers fans fail to understand is that while it is great you won some finals, sometimes sports comes down strictly to luck. The Lakers had the luck in both the Suns series and then game 7 of the Celtics series (a ridiculously bad game, but still). Sometimes it does not, like this series or the Lakers/Magic finals. The Mavericks got refjobbed once, and it never meant the Mavericks were a team of chokers, but we were treated like it for five years straight, a really annoying place to be in as a fan. The fold against the Warriors was damning, but the one we were very, very unfairly judged by was the Heat bullshit. Now that the Mavericks are beating the Lakers, the unfair judging is going right back the other way, e.g. LOL PAU GASOL IS SOFT BECAUSE HE PUT UP A BAD PERFORMANCE FOR THREE GAMES!111. Anyway I am not saying every Mavericks loss was illegitimate or meaningless, or that every Lakers win was meaningless, just that homerism ignores all these factors and lets people on both sides get too hysterical. Lakers fans, due to their luxury to have already won, "get" to be far more belligerent about how little this loss means and that "it is just us losing" and blah blah blah. It is not exactly fair, and no, it would not be remotely the same if the shoe were on the other foot. If the Mavericks were losing, everyone would be hysterically "lolmavs!!1" like the last several weeks before we did this.

p.s. I found this by accident (I try to avoid memories of the game), but it shows really good shots of non fouls at 47 seconds in, 1 minutes 35 seconds, and the whole series was really like that...for people who never thought about it closely but like to keep dismissing it as insane resentment or whatever, it really is not. Because of the ridiculous calls like this, the Mavericks could not play defense on Wade from games 4-6, besides the fact we still only literally lost to bad calls in three games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTv_tZtRnus

I'm going to continue to comment on how poor Westbrook really is. His decision making.. or lack there of, is just.. sad.

another 7-22 type performance. awesome. again.. how has he not got a talking to yet... and why is Durant acting like everything is okay when he doesn't get the ball more.

Eh.. I wouldn't say the series against the Suns or the Celtics was luck; especially the Suns. Richardson didn't box out. Simple as that.

I am not saying it means that luck was the only single factor, but a few random bounces one way or the other and we have totally different outcomes. The people who had those bounces go their way then take that and gain a completely irrational exuberance/usually arrogance over how great their team was, as if there was some perfect dominance and not something that required some luck too.

I guess you could say bounces of the ball are there.. but they were 3/4 time WC Champions with #1 seeds.. that sounds more like a trend than luck to me.

I kinda rarely believe in "luck" for basketball. 7 game series CAN depend on luck of course, but you have to beat the team 4 out of 7 times. There's a reason why NBA has more repeats than the other sports.

After your bullshit about "lol at Lakers haters", you go on an insane spiel about how losing to the Mavericks "of all teams" is embarrassing. Do you understand that this type of haughty behavior is the direct reason people mock Lakers fans and why people are gleeful that this is happening?
Bullshit? It's pretty fucking funny that people hate the Lakers because they've been one of the best teams in basketball since...ever. Now, don't get me wrong, I think it's equally funny that Lakers fans like me bitch like this, but my point still stands. I'm aware all I'm spewing is butthurt, though, it's not like I don't realize that.

You are also throwing a fit like a baby after back to back finals over who you lose to (a great team that you lost to, one that has just won over 50 games for A DECADE STRAIGHT) in the same paragraph that you are talking about being spoiled.
I think it's been proven over and over that the regular season doesn't matter much come play-off time. Mavs have won 50+ games for a decade straight...Where has that gotten them, exactly? Most infamously since '06?

And it wasn't even in the same paragraph, we Lakers fans being spoiled was another point entirely.

The top five regular season teams against good teams were the Bulls, Spurs, Celtics, Lakers, and Mavericks. They were all dominant. Anything else completely lacking in perspective that you want to trot out?
I'm lacking perspective? You already pulled out an argument that implied regular season statistics even mattering much, which is probably just as stupid as my whining. Tell me, what exactly happened to the Spurs and Magic this year? Remember when the Mavs lost to the Warriors in the first round? Hell, remember when the Lakers were supposed to win against the Pistons in '03 (Or '04, whatever year that was) and they got thumped 4-1 instead?

I don't mind you calling out on my complaining, but try to do so in a way that doesn't involve making an argument that looks equally foolish.

I am not saying that there is no consistency, I am saying that people act like their wins were absolutely perfect even if one or two crucial wins had very large luck factors, like the Celtics (maybe a little tired) putting up the single worst rebounding performance they could have, along with a LITTLE bit more referee help than the other team got (particularly in the fourth). They had to get to that point in the series, but seeing as it was tied, it does detract from the overall quality of the win. The trend part applies to the first two rounds - they proved their dominance those rounds. Then they needed luck to get all the way. That is just how it goes sometimes, but fans take that and shove it down your throats with arrogance for no particularly good reason.

Bullshit? It's pretty fucking funny that people hate the Lakers because they've been one of the best teams in basketball since...ever. Now, don't get me wrong, I think it's equally funny that Lakers fans like me bitch like this, but my point still stands. I'm aware all I'm spewing is butthurt, though, it's not like I don't realize that. if you know that you are doing exactly what you are criticizing, then do not do it

I think it's been proven over and over that the regular season doesn't matter much come play-off time yes it does, the statistic I covered was teams that did well against other teams at 60%+ and 70%+. Over 75% of finals teams, winners or losers, are teams who performed very well against teams like that. Mavs have won 50+ games for a decade straight...Where has that gotten them, exactly? Most infamously since '06?

And it wasn't even in the same paragraph, we Lakers fans being spoiled was another point entirely.

I'm lacking perspective? yes, you purposely lack perspective, as I am about to proveYou already pulled out an argument that implied regular season statistics even mattering much, which is probably just as stupid as my whining. Except I am not whining, and it is not stupid. I study records and measure performance. Tell me, what exactly happened to the Spurs and Magic this year? The Grizzlies were 32-18 from January until the playoffs. The Spurs were 33-17 from January until the playoffs. Thanks for proving once again that the regular season matters; man if you keep proving me right I might get a little cocky! In the same time frame the Spurs were 25-24 against the spread while the Grizzlies were 33-17 against the spread, showing that the Spurs were being overestimated and the Grizzlies were being underestimated, since the gambling goal is to measure teams/bettors accurately. The Magic sucked all season, why exactly are you bringing them up? They were less likely to lose than the Hawks, but they sure as hell were not going to the NBA finals or anything. I have not seen a team play under its talent much more than them all season long. Remember when the Mavs lost to the Warriors in the first round? No, as a Mavericks fan I clearly forgot this, even though I probably mentioned it somewhere on the last two pages. Hell, remember when the Lakers were supposed to win against the Pistons in '03 (Or '04, whatever year that was) and they got thumped 4-1 instead the Lakers had a mere two wins more than the Pistons and had a far superior margin of wins, +5.8 per game compared to +3.9; I will agree that coming into the playoffs the Lakers were 11-11 against top competition and the Pistons were 6-10, but seasons are long and that is why only about 75% of finals teams are teams who did extremely well against regular season top teams...another thing indicating that the Lakers and Pistons were very close were that both teams were 23-18 (Pistons) and 22-19 (Lakers) on the road, often a better measure of a team than home record. Two of the only five positive road teams made the finals, so this finals actually supports one of my common arguments about how the regular season matters.

I don't mind you calling out on my complaining, but try to do so in a way that doesn't involve making an argument that looks equally foolish.
You have to be fucking kidding me. Next time you want to argue with me, keep away from the personal attacks and bring some facts, not just the version that exists in your mind. I can provide links for everything I claimed too, for instance

http://sportsdatabase.com/nba.py/query?text=season%3D2010+and+month!%3D10+and+month!%3D11+and+month!%3D12+and+team%3DSpurs+and+playoffs%3D0&submit=query
http://sportsdatabase.com/nba.py/query?text=season%3D2010+and+month!%3D10+and+month!%3D11+and+month!%3D12+and+team%3DGrizzlies+and+playoffs%3D0&submit=query
(the parts are all simple, months not 10, 11, or 12, not playoffs are what the terms involved mean, and season=2010 is 2010-2011)

CaptKirby said:
like the Celtics (maybe a little tired) putting up the single worst rebounding performance they could have
How is that luck? No Perkins, and if they're tired, they're old (is it really luck that they're old..?). If you don't think they were tired, maybe the Lakers just finally came to play? Who knows, but I know for sure that the Lakers dominated the glass outside of luck.

There are asshole fans out there but I wouldn't use that as a counter-argument against them.

The Celtics made no effort to rebound as well as they could, maybe because they were tired, maybe because they did not want to take the physical abuse. They lost the game due just to this, and it was lucky for the Lakers that the Celtics collectively made this choice. They would have lost that game 100% if the Celtics tried to rebound all game.

How do you know that the Laker's rebounding length just didn't set in? And even then, how is that considered luck? If we're going to call every single "The other team just didn't try!" luck, you could argue a whole bunch of series' being luck.

How did Dallas beat San Antonio in the game 7 overtime? Tim Duncan was just tired.
How did Dallas finish Portland off? Just tired.
Hawks over Bucks game 7? Bucks were just tired and took jumpshots!
Denver vs LA Game 6? Melo was too tired to defend.

Whatever reason it happened, all we know is that it did and that the Lakers at least had the effort to rebound more than the Celtics. To call it luck really just sounds like .. sore losing.

The Celtics threw a game away. I am perfectly content with talking about when teams throw games away, but I am not sure why you are throwing a fit in return and acting like it does not happen. The Suns series came down to some bounces (luck), the Lakers won despite the worst play they could offer because the Celtics gave up on rebounding. Teams do not always win just because they played a game well, luck exists. Obviously you refuse to believe this, so there is no point in us going any further, especially when we are way past you ignoring my initial point of why I fucking brought it up.

Tbh I wouldn't mind if the Celtics won the finals

Then next year they can meet with LA and settle things once and for all!! Also Kobe vs Shaq reunion

but i posted mainly to say LOL BOSH

Tbh I wouldn't mind if the Celtics won the finals

Then next year they can meet with LA and settle things once and for all!! Also Kobe vs Shaq reunion

but i posted mainly to say LOL BOSH
sorry to burst your bubble. but this year was the Lakers last chance for quite a while. im going with 3 years at least.

I think a pic of Rondo's elbow is necessary. He went from "A good player that I can't stand whatsoever" to "A good player that I can't stand, but have respect for."

That image died quick.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
sorry to burst your bubble. but this year was the Lakers last chance for quite a while. im going with 3 years at least.
It's ok, we have the next Kobe in Shannon Brown, we're set for the next 10 + years at least because of his amazing talents. Not to mention his sidekick Steve Blake.

I'm really bummed that the Lakers are going down the drain like this. And while I don't like complaining about reffing, it seems to be the topic of choice right now. I've been watching Pau is specific and he's been getting a LOT of no calls or really bad calls for Dirk (his main matchup). The majority of the other players have been about equally split for fouls, but Pau is getting raped by Joey Crawford. Looks like he's maybe trying to show that he has no personal agenda or something. Either way, it needs to stop. Give Pau some foul calls so Dirk isn't invincible on the court.

I'm really bummed that the Lakers are going down the drain like this. And while I don't like complaining about reffing, it seems to be the topic of choice right now. I've been watching Pau is specific and he's been getting a LOT of no calls or really bad calls for Dirk (his main matchup). The majority of the other players have been about equally split for fouls, but Pau is getting raped by Joey Crawford. Looks like he's maybe trying to show that he has no personal agenda or something. Either way, it needs to stop. Give Pau some foul calls so Dirk isn't invincible on the court.
because the mavs are the refs' favorite team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)