Official NBA 2012-13 Season Thread

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I expect y'all to play nice from now on. Consider this a warning before I start handing out infractions: do NOT flame and insult other users when they see things differently than you. It's unnecessary and clogs up the thread. If you can't make a coherent argument without using "fuck" every other word or calling your opponent names, shut the hell up.

"We're not going to lay down," Jackson said. "If you're going to try to get the record, we're going to stop it."

lolllllllll

Summary: In a hypothetical scenario where you're on a professional sports team and you're losing by a ridiculous amount and the other team has a chance to break a record, there are two ways to react.

How a man would react:
"Well, shit, we're getting our asses kicked this game. Well, you know what? If these guys want to break a record against ME, I'm going to make them earn it. I'm going to buckle down and play the best defense I can/throw the best pitches I can and make them play as well as they care capable of to achieve this against me."

How a sore loser would react:
"Well, shit, we're getting our asses kicked this game. Since I can't accept the fact that we suck, I'm going to abuse the rules of this game and make it absolutely impossible for this record to be broken. I am going to intentionally foul/intentionally walk/commit pass interference so that 3-pointer/home run/touchdown does not happen."

Now I'm gonna go spark a bowl and play some NBA 2K. In "My Player" I'm a point guard for the Pacers and we're in the Eastern Conference Finals against the Heat, down 0-1. I'm playing on the second hardest difficulty and they're very tough :( Wish me luck!

And if the Heat start breaking records against me, I'll be sure to play my best defense instead of hitting the "back" button to intentionally foul, if anyone was interested :)

Have a nice day, everyone.

I expect y'all to play nice from now on. Consider this a warning before I start handing out infractions: do NOT flame and insult other users when they see things differently than you. It's unnecessary and clogs up the thread. If you can't make a coherent argument without using "fuck" every other word or calling your opponent names, shut the hell up.
If you want people to discuss sports without shit talking, that is just not how it works. At some point an argument or two users in that argument can vomit up so much that it went past the point of anything possibly being gained, but ordinary insults are good for sports threads. Always will be. These are just games, we are just watching them. Juuust serious analysis is certainly not enough.

I mean I have said all this before, but I just do not think Xephyr should be banned over this, if it is what he was banned over. And I dislike him a lot, but I keep it consistent.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh I have no problem with trash talking, etc. provided there is a legitimate argument at the heart of it. When it degenerates into two users simply slinging insults back and forth at each other and there isn't any debate going on, it's no longer contributing to the thread. I've seen things get pretty heated but still stay intelligent (like when you and I used to butt heads all the time in the football thread).

I agree with CK, trashtalking is the icing of sports discussion. Just free Xephyr, the discussion isn't something to blow this thread up.

With the Lakers newfound offense, the best way to beat them is likely making Kobe work on the other end.
No, with their current situation, the best way to beat them is just to play basketball.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why are you all assuming Xephyr was banned for anything that happened in here? (hint: he wasn't)

In other news, Raptors: y must u suck so much ;-;

If ever a team needed to make the playoffs...

Chasing records is something a franchise can point to forever. The other team involved is not some laughing point, it is not a diss to keep going for it. Unsportsmanlike is fouling the other team for trying to set a record. If you do not want to let them get the record, then play some god damn decent defense.
Maybe thats just me then, I didnt see the game but if the Rockets still had a few starters who were hitting the majority of the 3s in, then you dont think its unsportsmanlike to keep chucking 3s when theres no way you can lose the game? If anything both of them looked foolish and both coaches were unsportsmanlike

As good as Harden was, Lebron was still better. Damn that has to be depressing for the other players in the league. He literally does everything better than they do. Look at how much Durant has stepped up, and it's still not near where Lebron is at. It's almost boring because he's just so good, there's nothing to watch for anymore. "Bron makes the shot. Bron gets the assist. Bron gets the rebound. Bron wins."

At least Harden will be that elite SG in the league after Kobe & Wade are done. League has way too many great PGs and not enough great SGs.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
As good as Harden was, Lebron was still better. Damn that has to be depressing for the other players in the league. He literally does everything better than they do. Look at how much Durant has stepped up, and it's still not near where Lebron is at. It's almost boring because he's just so good, there's nothing to watch for anymore. "Bron makes the shot. Bron gets the assist. Bron gets the rebound. Bron wins."

At least Harden will be that elite SG in the league after Kobe & Wade are done. League has way too many great PGs and not enough great SGs.
Durant is a lot younger then Bron. I firmly believe that when all is said and done, Durant will be better then LeBron - I already think he's a more gifted offensive player.

tehy

Banned deucer.
He's already a better scorer, to be sure.

The real question is if he can become as great a passer and defender as Lebron. He's made strides in both those areas, but he's not really at Lebron's level yet in either.

Pretty sure Thunder and Heat have the conferences locked down for a while now, though.

I don't ever see Durant being the passer and having the vision as Lebron. You don't really even see glimpses of this happening in the future.

Is Durant a better scorer than Lebron? Maybe a better FT shooter, but I'm willing to bet Lebron probably has a better true shooting percentage than Durant does. He's shooting at 55%, anyone know Durants? If we want to be honest, as much as players like Durant, Melo, Chris Paul, Harden, Kobe, etc have impressed this year Lebron still stepped up more than those guys.

Lebron probably won't win as many championships as Jordan or even Kobe but when it's all said and done he's going to be the best to have ever played the game.

I think Durant's overall offensive game (as far as shooting it goes) is better than Lebron's. Durant is a better jumpshooter and his post game is ok.

Maybe thats just me then, I didnt see the game but if the Rockets still had a few starters who were hitting the majority of the 3s in, then you dont think its unsportsmanlike to keep chucking 3s when theres no way you can lose the game? If anything both of them looked foolish and both coaches were unsportsmanlike
...and why is that your assumption of what happened? Donatas Motiejunas and Patrick Beverley scored the last two threes. If you do not know their names, that is for a good reason, because they sure as fucking shit ain't starters. Only the Warriors looked foolish. Only the Warriors are in the wrong.

In fact they did not have a three from a starter that entire period. It was all bench players (who had 9/23 threes total).

Next time you should look up facts if they are going to influence what would be your decision.

Since then Harden has done so well, that it is obvious the Rockets are just playing hot, cohesive ball right now.

Dwayne Wade, among other NBA players, has said the Warriors did the right thing by not letting the Rockets get the record. I don't know about you guys, but it's safe to say that most of the guys playing in the NBA are highly competitive guys and to be on the losing end of records like that is plain embarrassing. Look at what Kobe's 81 point game did to the reputation of the Raptors, the reputations the Bobcats & Wizards have just on their recent seasons, Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game sans people acknowledging how easy it was back then, Bill Russel's 51 rebounds, etc.

There is no rule dictating that the Warriors should just hand a record to a team. You earn it or you don't.

...and why is that your assumption of what happened? Donatas Motiejunas and Patrick Beverley scored the last two threes. If you do not know their names, that is for a good reason, because they sure as fucking shit ain't starters. Only the Warriors looked foolish. Only the Warriors are in the wrong.

In fact they did not have a three from a starter that entire period. It was all bench players (who had 9/23 threes total).

Next time you should look up facts if they are going to influence what would be your decision.

Since then Harden has done so well, that it is obvious the Rockets are just playing hot, cohesive ball right now.
Im going to look up facts from a game... I really couldnt care about? I based my opinion on the morals I was brought up on when it came to competing in basketball. If you are chasing a meaningless record with a few minutes to go, you look foolish.

Just to appease you, you know what I find more foolish from the Rockets from that game? This 30 second stretch near the end

1:04 106-136Patrick Beverley taunting technical (5th personal foul) 0:34Draymond Green flagrant foul type 2 (Patrick Beverley draws the foul)107-138 0:34 107-138Marcus Morris technical foul(1st technical foul) 0:34 107-138Marcus Morris ejected

Two technical fouls. And a flagrant on the Warriors. Up 30. That's foolish. From both teams

Well to the last point, I have to agree that those players embarrassed themselves. I just wanted to be clear that the Rockets were not foolish in the context of shooting threes, it is not like players should just nicely hand the ball over to the opponent at the end of the shot clock, simply because they lead by 20+ points in the last few minutes. I was probably getting too wrapped up in "team" since it is not like Warriors players may have cared other than what their coach told them anyway. So I can agree to everyone having ended up looking foolish (and Houston scrubs are pretty funnily stupid for throwing out so much attitude on a team that is barely holding water over .500 that they cannot even start for).

You should look up facts on anything you are arguing about, whether you "care" or not. Instead of wondering if they pulled starters or starters were chucking threes, if you can check, then just do it! Instead of starting a what-if conversation. I never said you should change your opinion, I was just addressing what you basically attached as something that sort of sounded like a hedge.

I'm pretty sure if it was your team in this situation, you wouldn't have said shit. Why would they want them to break a record against them? I sure know I wouldn't if it was my team and I am pretty sure neither would any of you. I fully agree with what Lakers said, Marc Jackson made the right move and kept his team's dignity.

Kobe Bryant put up 63 or whatever in 3 quarters against my team, did I care? Fuck no, that was a fun season. I am pretty sure you should not accuse other people of being hypocrites just because they make confident statements!!

If someone put up 25 threes against the Mavericks this season I would not give a fucking shit, so I am not sure why I even bothered pointing to that other season being fun. This season is already in the dumpster, if my team is involved in another team's highlight what do I care? Not like it can make this any worse than it already is. Taking sports results personally is insane, it is all entertainment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)