Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
That tends to raise another question, about the last Pokemon Standing rule, how would it work if your partner/one of the Pokemon are Immune to an attack, what about an ability to absorb it, or the turn order. Although I'm not sure how troubling this stuff is to me since I just ran a straightforward Explosion Team last time. But since I have Dusknoir in the team, I'm not sure if Dusknoir counts for the last pokemon standing rule since he's unaffected by Explosion...
If Dusknoir is still alive when your last 'mon goes BOOM and all your opponent's 'mons are down, you win. Obviously, Dusknoir can't learn Explosion himself, so... "Last standing" only applies to situations where there are literally no other pokemon alive and you try to explode of use destiny bond.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There is such a guide.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/

In particular the pages on, Sunny Day and Rain Dance.
So true. The Smogon MoveDex is a phenomenal resource and we strive to make sure it's complete and accurate.

Ok, I am actually kind of waiting for the Double Strategy Guide to be finished, so become unlazy and finish it. :P\.
Heh. Sorry about that. I'll try to get back to work on it. I think part of the problem is that I don't feel as confident about the material. Also, know that the guide is really about specific moves and the strategy behind them. I may not even have a section on entire team strategies (like Obi Mode or MOLF Party), except for team strategies that focus around a global effect (like Trick Room, Rain Dance, etc.).

That tends to raise another question, about the last Pokemon Standing rule, how would it work if your partner/one of the Pokemon are Immune to an attack, what about an ability to absorb it, or the turn order. Although I'm not sure how troubling this stuff is to me since I just ran a straightforward Explosion Team last time. But since I have Dusknoir in the team, I'm not sure if Dusknoir counts for the last pokemon standing rule since he's unaffected by Explosion...
Good question. Yes, Dusknoir counts even though it's immune. So if you have a Dusknoir and an Exploding Cloyster and your opponent has a Jolteon (faster than Dusknoir) and a Shuckle (slower than Dusknoir), Cloyster explodes and KOs Jolteon (75% power), doesn't hit Dusknoir, and hits Shuckle (also 75% power). Since Dusknoir lived, Explosion doesn't hit Shuckle with full power.

ANinyMouse, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, especially about Destiny Bond. Could you be more specific? The 'Last Pokémon Standing Rule' is a phrase I coined to describe the situation where the last target of a multi-target move gets hit with full power because all other targets were KOd. In retrospect, I should have called it the 'Last Target Standing Rule'.

Ah, I get it now.

I thought, at first, that Howie was simply asking about the way Self-KO Clause worked. That's what I was getting at.

Heh. Sorry about that. I'll try to get back to work on it. I think part of the problem is that I don't feel as confident about the material. Also, know that the guide is really about specific moves and the strategy behind them. I may not even have a section on entire team strategies (like Obi Mode or MOLF Party), except for team strategies that focus around a global effect (like Trick Room, Rain Dance, etc.).

I know a good amount of strategies etc from my Showdown research and participation, so if you need advice or something feel free to PM me.

I think just a general doubles strategy guide would get the doubles game a bit more active, though there is still the problem of no real simulator to play it on. IMO The doubles game is pretty fun, but since I went to Showdown I might have a bit of a biased opinion. :P But we need to start playing doubles more as a whole.

I never understood what was wrong with the random drawings.

Honestly, are you expecting PUSA to just send out invitations to smogon next year?

You say it isn't a fair wair of conducting things, yet, I'm pretty sure it isn't fair to include trivia on game mechanics PUSA hasn't even disclosed with the public, or to have a first come first serve draw where the pokemon.com subscribers hog all the spots because we were on vacation that week.

And this isn't World War 2, you guys shouldn't be so bent on "handing it to the japs".

No, but if it's similar to JAA it would be a start. i don't quite remember the specifics, but I do remember it was based on a decent quiz and a score and time or something. A random drawing where you only have to get 15/20 right in order to be considered isn't really sufficient. I'm assuming you mean EVs/IVs when you are referring to the "game mechanics PUSA hasn't even disclosed with the public", and of course they wouldn't have that kind of questions. But the JAA quiz did have some pretty decent questions.

And I'm not "bent on handing it to the japs", I just want to beat them because I know I can beat my probable Japanese opponent and advance past the first round. Like I should have this past August, but luck didn't go my way. And that is something that I can't control.

Did anybody get a random check from PUSA? Brian got one and he's stoked about it. Any reason why they gave those out?

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Did anybody get a random check from PUSA? Brian got one and he's stoked about it. Any reason why they gave those out?
yeah, I did, it's repaying our ground transportation I think.

Yep, it's a check for $100 for cab fees, etc, so it turns out they are paying for our transportation after all. It actually took me by surprise, because I definitely wasn't looking for something from Pokemon USA in the mail.

We have tournaments in every prefecture, and today first tournament have held in Hyogo pref.

Sinior champion's team is,

Jolteon @ focus sash
- rain dance
- thunder
- hidden power(ice)
- protect

Ludicolo @ sitrus berry
- fake out
- hydro pump
- grass knot
- protect

Kingdra @ life orb
- hydro pump
- dragon pulse
- protect
- toxic

Metagross @ shuca berry
- meteor mash
- bullet punch
- explosion
- protect

Battle videos are available so if you have platinum, see also below,
junior final : 91-83735-18051
sinior final : 16-21089-83965

There are no remarkable player in Hyogo, so the level of the tournament may not be high. Actually, this team is not as polished enough as Keima(2nd of japanese tournament 2007)'s rain dance team (garados/ludicolo/kingdra/metagross)

The champion will participate in block tournament, and if wins, then national tournament.

I haven't joined this Hyogo tournament, so i don't have detail informations but I heard there were many rain dance teams and few trickroom teams including MOLF team while there were a lot of trickroom teams in junior tournament.

Thanks for the info micuat. Does top 2 of the pref make it into the block tournament? It would be cool to see a sunnyday team make it to the finals at one of these pref.

micuat, thank you for the info! the only thing that seems a bit weird to me is Toxic on Kingdra. IMO Waterfall would have been better if he had something like Rash or Mild. But it doesn't matter a whole lot I guess, since he won. :P

IIRC Bluecookies has Platinum, so maybe he can share his FC and then record the battle as the other person plays it with the battle recorder? If that is how it works, I really have no idea. :P It would be really nice to see those battles though.

Since this has started in Japan, anybody (micuat?) know whether Canada is eligible this time around? I'm in the planning/initial breeding stage, so I'd like to know whether I'm doing this for nothing if possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)