Official Smogon Fantasy Football PLAYOFF Thread (2014-15 Edition)

12-man standard league. I picked 3rd.
Currently on the board: Pitta, Heath Miller, Shonn Greene, Lance Dunbar
I feel like I need another RB2/Flex-level RB

What do you guys think?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
who the fuck are half those guys on your bench

Yes, you sure do need another decent RB. I'd say that team looks pretty bad but maybe it isn't, I can't really tell. You've got an elite QB, an elite RB, an elite WR... and then good WR depth but no particularly clear stand-out WR2, plus the RB problem. Or maybe Gerhart balls the fuck out, surprises everyone and your team runs over everyone.

anyone in league b want to make a trade? I'm looking for a running back, I'm Victorious Secret.

I legit don't know who mine are...

depends on where you got him. he's been rising fast as hell, in 12 team I think his ADP is in like the 4th now. With Welker's suspension there's a little more reason to like him, but I probably wouldn't take him before the 6th-7th. Coming from a Steelers fan, he does not have the hands to be a 2013 Decker.
ive been following him in the preseason, and i was able to get him in the 7th round, which was an absolute steal

Maybe this is a bold prediction, but despite everyone arguing Peterson vs McCoy vs Charles, I think Eddie Lacy will be the top back this year. He's shown all last year he can get the job done against stacked boxes and in the red zone, so with Rodgers back he shouldn't have a problem racking up 100 yards and ~1 TD every game. I'm trying desperately to get him in my league right now, thinking Gronk + someone else would be a pretty good deal for everyone once Gronk shows us he's back.
Yesterday I managed to dump off Chris Johnson + TY Hilton for Demaryius Thomas! Which leaves me an available bench spot to pick up Rod Streater (Derek Carr was already taken lol)!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maybe this is a bold prediction, but despite everyone arguing Peterson vs McCoy vs Charles, I think Eddie Lacy will be the top back this year. He's shown all last year he can get the job done against stacked boxes and in the red zone, so with Rodgers back he shouldn't have a problem racking up 100 yards and ~1 TD every game. I'm trying desperately to get him in my league right now, thinking Gronk + someone else would be a pretty good deal for everyone once Gronk shows us he's back.
Yesterday I managed to dump off Chris Johnson + TY Hilton for Demaryius Thomas! Which leaves me an available bench spot to pick up Rod Streater (Derek Carr was already taken lol)!
Eddie Lacy averaged 4.1 yards per carry last year. While that's not a terrible number, it doesn't blow me away either. I doubt Lacy is going to outperform the backs you showed, but I wouldn't be surprised if he regularly broke 100 yards and had a TD in most games. He doesn't catch many passes though, so that will be the limit of his fantasy productivity.

Nice pickup with Rod Streater though, assuming he is the one Carr develops chemistry with first and not Holmes.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ok I know start your studs and everything, but hear me out. The Seahawks only allowed like 1 rushing td last year. In an 8 team league, I have a very good team that has lacy, forte, ball, bmarsh, a brown, and Cruz. Is it crazy to sit lacy and start Cruz in the flex?

+ hauschka and random defense

someone offered me jimmy graham + ryan mathews for demaryius thomas + rashad jennings but still thinking about that one...the mathews for jennings thing isnt too big of an issue since I can play gerhart depending on matchup if I need to, like in this week (would just start Colston > Thomas). Although, I might still start Jennings this week, even though it's against the lions run defense. but yeah, thoughts on the trade / this o.o

someone offered me jimmy graham + ryan mathews for demaryius thomas + rashad jennings but still thinking about that one...the mathews for jennings thing isnt too big of an issue since I can play gerhart depending on matchup if I need to, like in this week. Although, I might still start Jennings this week, even though it's against the lions run defense. but yeah, thoughts on the trade / this o.o
i'd probably do that trade.

JG wins weeks, and JR has concussion issues.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
apparently Cam isn't likely to play, looks like i'm starting Jake Locker in League C!

So pumped for tonight man...

Nice pickup with Rod Streater though, assuming he is the one Carr develops chemistry with first and not Holmes.
The waiver wire has juicier options but my roommate and I have a policy about keeping a Raider on the roster. Jones-Drew and Carr were both taken already so I have to hope Streater becomes Carr's favorite receiver instead of James Jones/Denarius Moore/Andre Holmes.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

someone offered me jimmy graham + ryan mathews for demaryius thomas + rashad jennings but still thinking about that one...the mathews for jennings thing isnt too big of an issue since I can play gerhart depending on matchup if I need to, like in this week (would just start Colston > Thomas). Although, I might still start Jennings this week, even though it's against the lions run defense. but yeah, thoughts on the trade / this o.o
NO

NO

NO

HELL NO

Ryan Mathews is pretty much a lock to get injured at some point, and he also splits time with not one but TWO other RBs on the chargers. Jennings is the clear lead back in NY and had a decent preseason, and he looks to be getting the bulk of the carries. As for Graham and Thomas, well...I don't care how productive Graham is, Thomas is more so. Do NOT take that trade.

I don't think it's as cut and dry as that.

Honestly, Ryan Mathews / Rashad Jennings is a wash at this point. Those 2 could go either way, nobody can say for sure. This trade simply comes down to Graham vs Thomas.

So...here is how you need to consider this.

Typically you will be starting 1 TE and 3 WR every week. The best way to analyze this trade is by replacing your TE1 with Graham and replacing Thomas with your WR4.

What will be the weekly difference between your current TE1 and Graham?

What will be the weekly difference between your current WR4 and Thomas?

Which is the higher difference?

There is your answer.

I ended up taking the trade after seeing the responses in this thread and also asking a lot of other ppl, most of whom said to take it. My 'WR4' who will replace DT is Colston, and I also have Sammy Watkins / Shorts for more depth if I need it; there's also the waiver wire throughout the season, so I figure that it will be worth it. I think the difference between DT and Colston or my other receiver options will be less then the difference between Graham and Reed, who also has injury problems. But yeah, hope it works out :]

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tried out a new auction strategy of spending literally every available dollar on three top 10 players and filling out the rest with $1 pickups after everyone else blew their money, this is the result:

Thoughts?

Edit: Yeah its standard scoring

Last edited:
Honestly, if Cam doesn't play just pick up Derrick Anderson or some other QB. Do not start Jake Locker.
Why the hell would anyone ever start Derek Anderson in anything other than a 20 team league where you start 2 QBs? Anderson is a proven bum in a run-heavy offense with few receiving options and even less of a rapport with them.

@ Texas, depends how many teams in the league and scoring settings. If it's standard, looks good to the naked eye, prolly a much better PPR squad tho.

Because Jake Locker sucks. Obviously you should plan to start Newton, but if you find out around 3PM (after all the 1PM games anyway..) that he won't be playing, then your only option is to find some other late game starter like Anderson. I'd actually bet a lot of money that Anderson puts up better numbers than Locker this week if this scenario even plays out. Did I mention Jake Locker sucks? He does.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but Jake Locker sucks, start Derek Anderson over him if Cam doesn't play. Justin certainly didn't say anything about this so I am definitely the first to save you.

The whole point is you won't know if Newton is playing or not until after the 1PM (Jake Locker) games have started. Why the hell would you start crappy ass Jake Locker when you'd be 1000x better off if Newton is healthy and plays. If Newton can't play, then you play Anderson (or whoever the hell else is available) because it really doesn't get worse than Jake Locker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)