Finals Official Smogon Tournament XII - Finals [no winner]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
newrof, ur a fucking retard if this shit is true, and if it is just admit it, it's a game not ur life. being honest comes with way more respect than lying and trying to be "cool" it's a game after all it's way better to admit it than to be catched with ur pants down, i know it's human nature too resist being wrong, but being wrong and retarded is totally different. if ur innocent, prove it, dont just say that u fucking didnt u idjit...

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just when i thought this tourney was going smoothly, i check back and this shit happens. what a fucking joke this tourney has turned into...actually what a fucking joke the majority of the player base has turned into.
2 ghosts and 1 ghosted =/= "majority of the player base"

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
just when i thought this tourney was going smoothly, i check back and this shit happens. what a fucking joke this tourney has turned into...actually what a fucking joke the majority of the player base has turned into.
I think it's unfair to say that the tournaments and/or players became worse.
People always have ghosted and most likely always will. The main reason, why people are getting banned for ghosting nowadays, is because TDs nowadays are giving more fucks than past generations did and are doing a good job in investigating / punishing cases of ghosting. Which is a good thing, if we want cleaner tours in the future.

I know enough cases in the past, where people just got unpunished after getting caught, because TDs didn't want to damage the reputation of the tour and decided not to punish the player. Which als contributed to people thinking that ghosting is the normal way to play a tour battle.
So instead of complaining how bad the community is now and how tours are a farce, you should rather compliment the TDs for putting in a lot of effort into investigating cases of ghosting and being ballsy enough to replay a whole fucking tournament.
If we keep banning people for ghosting, there is at least a little chance that there will be a change in mind and ghosting will no longer be considered a cavalier offense.

that's what happens when you have a cash prize, who cares about "just having fun" if they can cheat and get paid for it
Because $100 is such a big amount, that one would be willing to risk their reputation and affinity to this game over it. I don't know much about the economic state of Italy, but this cash prize was generally seen as child's play. If you want to see some real conspiracies, then increase the purse to $1,000 or $5,000. I guarantee that would be enough to lure past players that have "quit" out of hiding.

Because $100 is such a big amount, that one would be willing to risk their reputation and affinity to this game over it. I don't know much about the economic state of Italy, but this cash prize was generally seen as child's play. If you want to see some real conspiracies, then increase the purse to $1,000 or $5,000. I guarantee that would be enough to lure past players that have "quit" out of hiding.
Risking a "reputation" on a pokemon forum for 100$ you didn't have previously is pretty common sense, the opportunity cost really isn't that big tbh, since after all, it's a, ya know, pokemon forum :L That also being said, I can guarantee newrof was not the only person being ghosted, he was just dumb enough to get caught, especially this late in the tournament.

My real question here is why the hell is he still trying to act innocent after being caught and a confession had been made from his ghoster, that's just asking for a bigger punishment on a very lenient one tbh.

And lastly, to go with this proof, how can you exactly prove that newrof was in the skype call?

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Risking a "reputation" on a pokemon forum for 100$ you didn't have previously is pretty common sense, the opportunity cost really isn't that big tbh, since after all, it's a, ya know, pokemon forum :L That also being said, I can guarantee newrof was not the only person being ghosted, he was just dumb enough to get caught, especially this late in the tournament.

My real question here is why the hell is he still trying to act innocent after being caught and a confession had been made from his ghoster, that's just asking for a bigger punishment on a very lenient one tbh.
Because he wasn't in for the prize money, what he wanted was recognition as a player. If you reach the final of a smogon official tournament, you will be seen as a skilled player, but now that people know he got ghosted, nobody will think he's good anymore, so that's why he's so keen on acting innocent. It's easy to see, for example look at -Snow 's post, Newrof was constantly messaging him each time he advanced a round to get recognition.

As for ''there's always been ghosting'', it's partly true. However, as someone who has both seen ghosting, and played against ghosted players, I can certainly say that ghosting wasn't nearly as prevalent in the past, just the same way that in the past, pretty much every player on the final rounds (I mean top16-32) of a Smogon Tour/OST built his own teams instead of borrowing/stealing/copying them from others. There were exceptions, sure, and of course people tested with their friends to improve the teams, but there was always a sense of ''identity'' in each player's teambuilding and playstyle. And it was considered ''shameful'' to use other people teams.

Overall, the community's mentality has changed over time. Some time ago, people wanted to do well and win tournaments to show how good they were, but they did it by actually improving their play and teambuilding as best as they could. But around 2012-2013 this started to change, and while people still wanted the same (being seen as good players), the mentality of ''win no matter the cost'' started to get established. Since then, all OST tournaments have been involved in shady shit because the majority of the community doesn't play fair anymore.

As for the people saying ''1 guy getting ghosted and 2 ghosters, that's not the majority of the community!'', I'm sad to say this, but ghosting happens much more than you'd think. I have played OST in 4 editions (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015), and the only time I didn't play against AT LEAST 1 person that was getting ghosted was in 2012, when I lost to wilson46 in Round1. That's aside from the times I have seen people admitting ghosting, getting ghosted, or just seen it myself happening in team tours etc.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
This isn't just a Pokemon forum. This is where a lot of people make their imaginary friends. This and those epic skype calls are some people's only means of experiencing a social life. Winning a trophy is like receiving an Oscar after years of putting on a performance. Getting your well written and grammar-free Pokemon article published on the main page is like feeding poor children tacos in the Amazon; it's a big fucking contribution.

This forum is real life, so don't make fun of its members. We are all here to expand our social circles and make real life contributions. Just like those silly YouTube users who spend all their time putting out videos that nobody watches. If you can't win games playing, then the next best thing to do is talk about Pokemkn like you actually know what you're talking about, i.e. I knew my opponent was going to choose that move, but I didn't trust my instincts, chose the wrong move, and lost. I'm going to further explain why my opponent made such and such moves and how I countered blah blah blah, even though I have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about. To summarize: I knew exactly what my opponent was doing, yet I still lost.

This tournament has been full of shit ever since the days where august won.

Zak91 was bullshitted vs JabbaTheGriffin
Then came the hugo thing where he exploits a loophole
Then the bloo shit
Now this

Edit: Unfortunately the TDs of then arent here so maybe JabbaTheGriffin can enlighten us on how he got past Zak

Yeah sorry i gotta agree w/ p2 here. You cant just be tossin some poorly edited image macro in the thread and expect to get 50+ likes like its 2014. For the most part we've adapted to the point where's gotta be a bit of intellectual wit behind your post if you wanna get recognition, whether thats a good or bad thing is up to you tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)