Official Smogon Tournament XIII - Quarterfinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

teal6

is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Smogon Tournament #13

the path to nirvana is paved solely with temerity. act with best intentions and you will see that those around you cannot fail you, you can only fail yourself. namaste

Specific Rules
  • This is a standard SM OU tournament.
  • The tournament will be single elimination.
  • Players will play a best of three series of games each round.
  • Matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown!.
Standard Rules and Clauses
  • Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing Pokémon.
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same Pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on his or her team.
  • Evasion Clause: A player cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize in their Pokémon's movesets.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, or Fissure in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
  • Timer Clause: If a player exhausts the timer, he/she loses.
  • Endless Battle Clause: Any moveset on any pokemon that is capable of intentionally causing an endless battle is banned from competitive play. Check this thread for more informations.
  • Baton Pass Clause: Check this thread.
  • Uber Clause: Players may not use any items, moves, abilities, or Pokemon that appear on Smogon's OU Ban List. If the tiers change or new items, abilities, moves, or Pokemon become available in the middle of a round, the changes will take effect in the following round. There will be an announcement in the relevant round if this occurs.
About Activity Decisions
Activity Decisions / Coin Flips: In the event that there is an uncompleted match at the deadline, it will be coin flipped unless one or both of the players involved in the match specifically request an activity win and explain sufficiently why they deserve to win over their opponent. Attempting to schedule a battle is required in order to receive the win by activity. To make it clear that you are requesting an activity win when you post, you must open your post with "Activity Win Request" in bold.
Activity Win Request I contacted my opponent on the 27th, one day after the round was posted and told him my timezone. He responded on the 30th but did not indicate his timezone. I replied back asking for a timezone on the 1st of December, and he never replied. On the 7th, I VMed him again asking whether he could battle on the weekend, and yet again he didn't respond. I deserve the activity win because my opponent ignored my attempts to schedule our battles.
If you believe your opponent is making an unfair request and that they don't deserve the activity win over you, you can either make your own request or quote their post and explain why they don't deserve it. You should try to make your activity win request posts at least 24 hours before the deadline to give your opponent a reasonable opportunity to contest it with their own activity win request.

Timer Clause will be strictly enforced for this tournament. This means that the normal disconnection rules found in the Tournament Rules, Guidelines, and Information thread do not apply. If a player disconnects and does not reconnect to their battle before the timer expires, they lose that particular game. This doesn't necessarily mean they lose the entire set.

If a ban occurs during the semifinals, it won't affect the tournament until its next round. Also extensions are until Wednesday at 11:59 EST, as always.

JayStaice vs ben gay
ABR vs 100 Hoes Kaido
Poek vs Iloveleague
(Wheitron vs Lord Outrage) vs Malekith

Deadline The deadline for the semis will be 11:59 PM EST on the 16th of April, 2017. Any matches not played by this time will be coin flipped unless one or both players have submitted a request for an activity win. (Just as a side note, if you wanna dodge a flip, make SURE to put in the appropriate amount of effort to schedule!!)

If you wish to contact the Tournaments Directors about this tournament, shoot them a PM via >>this link<<.

Thanks to Zracknel for the amazing logo!

The prize money for this years winner is $200!

Last edited:

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
good quarterfinals, probably one of the highest quality in recent years that i remember. good mix of super good veterans and newer players that have caused big upsets so far, will be very interesting to see since all the veterans avoided each other and the surprise underdogs are playing them.

obv i like to root in the favor of experience and high skill, so i would like ben, ABR, malekith in semifinals. but if any of their opponents defeat them legitimately, they get a new fan in me and i would like to see them go all the way.

poek vs iloveleague is the highlight imo. everyone knows poek is solid and despite being known as an ORAS player hes been amazing in SM so far, while iloveleague isnt exactly a newcomer but he has been slightly put aside in stuff like SPL for no reason, since the guy is very very good. gl both

-gizmo-

Smogon's Kingpin
JayStaice vs ben gay
ABR vs 100 Hoes Kaido
Poek vs Iloveleague

JayStaice vs ben gay
ABR vs 100 Hoes Kaido- 100 Hoes has defeated formidable opponents like blunder and proven himself to be easily a top 10 SM OU player. However, ABR is honestly the gatekeeper, especially for up-and-comers... no wall so formidable can be penetrated simply by momentum.
Poek vs Iloveleague

JayStaice vs ben gay | armchairs never win
ABR vs 100 Hoes Kaido | this dude turned blunder into one of his hoes but im sure abr can find a way to beat this pimp ass clown
Poek vs Iloveleague | iloveleague is better than i thought tbh but poek is a god
(Wheitron vs Lord Outrage) vs Malekith | malekith slayed joey so im sure he can slay one of these two retards

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Champion
Big Chungus Winner
after much prodding from my fans i will do some predictions again and bc i love when roro likes my posts
im gonna post the ppl these dudes have beat thus far for myself so that i can see whos really bout it

JayStaice
Braverius
Lionyx
FMG
199 Lives
TheAce22
Obliviate
Mazar

ben gay
Tom0410
Aurious
NightFox
patlop2307
Fish1899
We Three Kings
taxi driver

ABR
XIII Architect
choolio
Marrano
Sam-testings
shade
Analytic
Esteemed SPL Host Ginku

100 Hoes Kaido
Eternal Spirit
Loveless Rhapsody
Piercing Light
Paleo
blunder
Vertex
Hybuyn

Poek
Kurukaito
Reymedy
dukevesper
idiotfrommars
Jase Duken
Corckscrew
njnp

Iloveleague
Duck Chris
K. Pinguin
JACOB
majaspic22
Gotham Paladin
Rampecker
ez

Wheitron
Bye40
Shogarth
Gtcha
Sas0
Starmei
PDC
Lord Outrage

Lord Outrage
ToF
Ultimario
pythonSL
Liones
ggggd
Gene Sp
Wheitron

Malekith
Fantasy
MSC Knightmare
FlamingVictini
Luigi
Valentine
Updated Kanto
aim

JayStaice vs ben gay - jaystaice is interesting bc he uses some pretty interesting teams like that antistall weavile shit he brought vs mazary earlier today but to be honest he should have lost today had mazary not choked. despite this tho he knows what hes doing for the most part and i think some nerves got to him this last round as he made some misplays but he is an avid fan of the blunder so perhaps he can calm these nerves. im a big fan of this dude because his teams are cool so im hoping that he brings some cool stuff again and puts those nerves and feelings away bc he doesnt need that shit when hes in top 8. ben gay beat taxi driver so incredibly easily that it didn't really show me anything that i didn't already know but he won tour yesterday using the same team every round and even beat someone as fantastic as me so that is definitely worth something. i think ben gay is always great in the beginning of gens and i think that i would definitely give him the upper hand in this matchup bc i think he will outprep and he's always so comfortable with his own shit when he plays and uses banned pokemon like suicune dugtrio and the boys so i think he will take this set in like a 65:35 type matchup favorin him.

ABR vs 100 Hoes Kaido - this is a weird matchup because i still don't know shit about 100 hoes kaido even though he did commit ROBBERY against me in round 5 but from what i have seen he is definitely competent in games and not afraid at ALL to pull the trigger on some turns. he is also a big fan of the "gimmick" strats like baton pass and trick room which he has been using i think the whole tournament but this round the gimmicks aren't gonna work cuz abr just gonna overprep for then. he isn't a bad a player so what i think he needs to do this round is stop relyin on the bullshit and bring some solid teams that don't autolose to one antimeasure and just play his heart out bc he can definitely do it, its round 8 after all. i dont have to say much about abr, if you wanna know his pokemon talents please just ask him he can give u a novel. jokes aside i think he and poek are the two "best" players left skillwise and i am pretty confident in this prediction because abr knows whats up and even thought its top 8 and "anything can happen" abr is just all around more consistent.

Poek vs Iloveleague - highlight match for me this wk and one i wont miss. iloveleague is a player that like rey said has been pretty much ignored? in tournaments for some reason. very very solid player, won the sm ou release tour handily and in general is a solid player that can build well and has a nice offensive style. he's gonna be playing at half power this round though bc poek aint lettin him play til weekend but regardless he is a very nice player to watch. i think his weakness here is that he is extremely predictable and is always packing some sort of ground grass water offense / bulky offense and it's not hard to expect what he's going to use. but that doesn't really matter when you play well which he is certainly capable of. poek beat njnp last round which is the equivalent of winning 20 rounds bc i thought njnp was going to wrap this tour up until he lost last week and at that it was a 2-0 with the same team what a god........ this series will be close but i think poek is much more solid bc its hard to go against him with his recent accomplishments and in general i know how strong he is. dont sleep on league tho

(Wheitron vs Lord Outrage) vs Malekith - i know very little about wheitron and lord outrage besides that pdc had an aneurysm once he lost to wheitron but confidence is the most important trait to have and lord outrage isn't lacking at all in tht department so i will root for him bc i love cocky people. i think whoever wins from that matchup is going to be blown away by malekith tho. without a doubt malekith has had the hardest run so far with his last five opponents being ou players altho idk if get backer even really plays pokemon tbh. regardless he's really really impressed me this tournament. i thought pokeaim was gonna beat him but malekith outplayed nicely game 2 and applied the pressure super early to basically secure him the win quick. definitely didn't expect malekith to be as good as he is in sm and i think if he doesn't bring some gimmicky bullshit he can really win this tournament because he's just really good at playing so i'm rooting for him

Calling people retards while your mother wished she had a fuckin abortion when you were born
I've never seen someone get so offended by me calling them a retard on this site. Maybe you actually have a mental deficiency. Did I hit a nerve or something holy shit LOL I mean, it wouldn't really surprise me considering your awful attitude, pathetic SPL performance (in a tier full of god-awful players where the combo of FAJI + MAZAR went 10-0 nonetheless), and your overall reduction to nothing more than a meme. Overall, nothing you've done on this site has convinced me that you're not absolutely retarded, so...

I've never seen someone get so offended by me calling them a retard on this site. Maybe you actually have a mental deficiency. Did I hit a nerve or something holy shit LOL I mean, it wouldn't really surprise me considering your awful attitude, pathetic SPL performance (in a tier full of god-awful players where the combo of FAJI + MAZAR went 10-0 nonetheless), and your overall reduction to nothing more than a meme. Overall, nothing you've done on this site has convinced me that you're not absolutely retarded, so...
what a roast

i'll take my slice medium rare please

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
every matchup is underdog vs proven ou player...

anyway, ben takes it all.

also league been lowkey a threat, rmbr he beat bkc in the inaugural tour final, hopefully we have a treat of a serie with poek.

JayStaice vs ben gay
ABR vs 100 Hoes Kaido
Poek vs Iloveleague
(Wheitron vs Lord Outrage) vs Malekith - desculpa velio n consegui ver os times aquele dia. Chama de novo que eu te ajudo, seria legal ver uma win inesperada aqui. GL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)